The Relation Of Overall Strength With Grip Strength

GotAGrip

I have a completely opposite opinion on this because I have actually had a chance to "test" it out. I have not been able to workout beyond walking and yoga since 08/31/12. Not a single lift. However, strangely enough, my grip strength has increased.

Whenever I am down in the garage I grab grippers and squeeze them and I am able to close my old #3 all the time, my GHP7 98% of the time, and my brand new #3 rarely. When I was able to lift, I couldnt get my new #3 to within a 1/4 inch...

Back in 2003 when I was at my absolute strongest grip wise (certed on the #3, the MM1, lifted the blob, pinched 3-25s), my overall strength was so-so. When I was at my strongest lifting wise in 2007 (hit a 725 squat, 385 bench, and 675 deadlift at 07' IPA Worlds) I couldn't close my old #3.

Now that I am an old broken down man, my grip strength seems to increase with little to no work. I have been asked by a lot of people lately if I am going to get back into grip now since I cant really do much else. I would think my heart doc would approve of grip, maybe not axle deadlifts, but grippers, block weights, wrist and thumb work, shouldnt be a problem. The answer is: I dont know. I am enjoying just training the boy right now, and when this weather turns, my focus will turn to his baseball season and fishing, so I am not sure if I have it in me to get down there and focus on grip. Maybe. I would say there is a 30% chance it could happen. If it does, it will be interesting to see what comes of it not being able to lift weights as well. Can I make steady grip improvements? I would say yes, even without the added hormone boost of 100 rep squats! :getlost:

May I ask what your health condition is? Also, what medication are you taking for it? I don't mean to meddle - but want to make sure you are doing everything in your power to fight it.

I have a completely opposite opinion on this because I have actually had a chance to "test" it out. I have not been able to workout beyond walking and yoga since 08/31/12. Not a single lift. However, strangely enough, my grip strength has increased.

Whenever I am down in the garage I grab grippers and squeeze them and I am able to close my old #3 all the time, my GHP7 98% of the time, and my brand new #3 rarely. When I was able to lift, I couldnt get my new #3 to within a 1/4 inch...

Back in 2003 when I was at my absolute strongest grip wise (certed on the #3, the MM1, lifted the blob, pinched 3-25s), my overall strength was so-so. When I was at my strongest lifting wise in 2007 (hit a 725 squat, 385 bench, and 675 deadlift at 07' IPA Worlds) I couldn't close my old #3.

Now that I am an old broken down man, my grip strength seems to increase with little to no work. I have been asked by a lot of people lately if I am going to get back into grip now since I cant really do much else. I would think my heart doc would approve of grip, maybe not axle deadlifts, but grippers, block weights, wrist and thumb work, shouldnt be a problem. The answer is: I dont know. I am enjoying just training the boy right now, and when this weather turns, my focus will turn to his baseball season and fishing, so I am not sure if I have it in me to get down there and focus on grip. Maybe. I would say there is a 30% chance it could happen. If it does, it will be interesting to see what comes of it not being able to lift weights as well. Can I make steady grip improvements? I would say yes, even without the added hormone boost of 100 rep squats! :getlost:

are you now able to do grip feats you just were not able to do in the past? or are you able to do things more consistently or easily than it was in the past?

I can do things more easily now. There were many days I would grab my old #3 and miss it. I never miss it now, cold, post-yoga, or while training my son. I can grab it and smash it for a triple, with a set of course. The new #3 I was a mile away from, thing isnt rated real high on the close but the sweep is a sob. Another thing I noticed is I can close bigger grippers now with the CC set then I EVER could before.

May I ask what your health condition is? Also, what medication are you taking for it? I don't mean to meddle - but want to make sure you are doing everything in your power to fight it.

Let's see....

I have complete heart block and for that reason I have had a pacemaker since 2000. I also used to have 50% PVCs which meant every other beat of my heart was a PVC. This caused my heart function to drop tremendously due to being totally dependant on the pacer, the pacer wasnt able to keep my heart in synch due to throwing so many PVCs. In 2011 they added a dual device, pacermaker and ICD so in the event I would have a run of PVCs, I could be shocked back into normal.

Soooo on August 31st after a deadlift workout I had a run of PVCs while sitting on the couch which lead to my heart stopping for 14 seconds and my device shocking me. This also lead to me leaving my doctor/surgeon team at UPMC who had me for 12 years and going to a new doc at the Cleveland Clinic. He immediately scheduled me for an ablation, however the cells causing the PVCs were sitting directly under a corornay artery, so he could only burn as close as he could get without harming the artery. This reduced me from 50% PVC to 4%. He then put me on Sotalol 160mgs twice a day which further reduced them to 1.9%. I am also on Lisinopril 10mgs once a day.

Thats the short of it.

Let's see....

I have complete heart block and for that reason I have had a pacemaker since 2000. I also used to have 50% PVCs which meant every other beat of my heart was a PVC. This caused my heart function to drop tremendously due to being totally dependant on the pacer, the pacer wasnt able to keep my heart in synch due to throwing so many PVCs. In 2011 they added a dual device, pacermaker and ICD so in the event I would have a run of PVCs, I could be shocked back into normal.

Soooo on August 31st after a deadlift workout I had a run of PVCs while sitting on the couch which lead to my heart stopping for 14 seconds and my device shocking me. This also lead to me leaving my doctor/surgeon team at UPMC who had me for 12 years and going to a new doc at the Cleveland Clinic. He immediately scheduled me for an ablation, however the cells causing the PVCs were sitting directly under a corornay artery, so he could only burn as close as he could get without harming the artery. This reduced me from 50% PVC to 4%. He then put me on Sotalol 160mgs twice a day which further reduced them to 1.9%. I am also on Lisinopril 10mgs once a day.

Thats the short of it.

You have my complete sympathy and let me congratulate you on being such a true fighter. Do you know what caused the heart block in the first place? Were you put on statins too, along with the antiarrhythmic and ACE inhibitor?

Any idea what your cholesterol scores are? Keeping them in top condition can certainly take some strain off the heart but I don't know enough about "fixing" the heart to help - sounds like you have had a rough journey.

Please don't take this as me "knowing more" than you or your doctor, I am literally just a caring guy that likes to study (generally non-mainstream) nutrition a bit too much lol.

Anyway, take it easy. You absolutely blow me out of the water with C&C no.3 by the way I imagine, I am yet to get a tougher gripper than the no.1 due to cash problems.

Let's see....

Thats the short of it.

You have my complete sympathy and let me congratulate you on being such a true fighter. Do you know what caused the heart block in the first place? Were you put on statins too, along with the antiarrhythmic and ACE inhibitor?

Any idea what your cholesterol scores are? Keeping them in top condition can certainly take some strain off the heart but I don't know enough about "fixing" the heart to help - sounds like you have had a rough journey.

Please don't take this as me "knowing more" than you or your doctor, I am literally just a caring guy that likes to study (generally non-mainstream) nutrition a bit too much lol.

Anyway, take it easy. You absolutely blow me out of the water with C&C no.3 by the way I imagine, I am yet to get a tougher gripper than the no.1 due to cash problems.

BP is good, cholesterol is always around 150 with my HDL being over 60. My issues is electrical. I was born with it, unfortunetly.

Let's see....

Thats the short of it.

BP is good, cholesterol is always around 150 with my HDL being over 60. My issues is electrical. I was born with it, unfortunetly.

So sorry to hear that - hope you aren't offended by my prying.

are you now able to do grip feats you just were not able to do in the past? or are you able to do things more consistently or easily than it was in the past?

I can do things more easily now. There were many days I would grab my old #3 and miss it. I never miss it now, cold, post-yoga, or while training my son. I can grab it and smash it for a triple, with a set of course. The new #3 I was a mile away from, thing isnt rated real high on the close but the sweep is a sob. Another thing I noticed is I can close bigger grippers now with the CC set then I EVER could before.

i wonder if it has to do with your body being more recovered than it has been in a very long time? have you increased hand and forearm mass and improved neurologic pathways OR is your body just fresher than it has ever been? this reminds me of a knee injury a had in high school. after YEARS of constant physical training and competition, i took many months off everything except light rehab after having my knee scoped. i hurt my knee in october, had it scoped in january, and played in a football all star game in june. i did very little between the time of the injury and the all star game. as part of the the all star practice, they timed us in the 40 on the first day. i ran 4 hand timed sub 4.4 40s. in my life, i never broke 4.4 before that then popped off 4 of them timed by 2 different people. i was fresh and faster then ever.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=39904&hl=

i wonder if it has to do with your body being more recovered than it has been in a very long time? have you increased hand and forearm mass and improved neurologic pathways OR is your body just fresher than it has ever been? this reminds me of a knee injury a had in high school. after YEARS of constant physical training and competition, i took many months off everything except light rehab after having my knee scoped. i hurt my knee in october, had it scoped in january, and played in a football all star game in june. i did very little between the time of the injury and the all star game. as part of the the all star practice, they timed us in the 40 on the first day. i ran 4 hand timed sub 4.4 40s. in my life, i never broke 4.4 before that then popped off 4 of them timed by 2 different people. i was fresh and faster then ever.

Good question. Have I increased hand and forearm mass? I dont know. I wouldnt think so. I think it has a lot to do with rest. When I was able to lift heavy, my body was beat up, thus my hands were beat up. Now that I cant do anything but cardio and some yoga, my body is healthy and my hands and CNS are fresh.

However, I do think if someone chose grip and only grip as their means of strength training, they could still make great gains even if they arent squatting or deadlifting.

• Like 1