Your Personal Opinion

Sybersnott

Do You Think Kinney Closed The #4?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think Kinney Closed The #4?

• Yes, I think he did.
    • No, I don't think he did.
    • Sybersnott - You're making Wannagrip mad!!

The age old question makes a return!! :yikes Vote now!!! :tongue

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sybersnott

• Roark

• tmmicklabs

• Bill Piche

Wanna,

Sorry for beating the dead horse again. Found out it was still alive, so I threw on a saddle and decided to give it one last ride.

And this will be the last ride... I promise. :inno

Personally I think its good to keep discussing "old topics", not only for the beginners coming to this forum but for veterans too. I mean boxing fans still talk about Muhammed Ali and they controversy around him. I still find many old topics entertaining, the Joe Kinney story is one of them.

Patrik,

For what it's worth, I agree with you fully. If no one found it interesting, no one would have voted in the poll.

Now, if only I could make up my mind...

Mac-

A few months from now you'll have to start a new poll.

Yes

No

Undecided

And?Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water..... :D

I suppose the answer I come up with is - it doesn't matter whether I do think he did or not. He is officially accredited by Ironmind and that's the only thing that matters for now (until any grip organization ever gets up and running??!!).

I know .....I know.... all it takes is time and time and some more time, but I thought at one point there was discussion of a 'Grip Organization' and that Tom Black was going to head this up? Except for some private discussions with various members, is this a dead issue? With the various GripPage members holding events, is there some way to get structure and consistency to sanction?

I don't know....maybe just spinning the wheels. Not trying to sign up anybody, just wondering about a discussion. I can imagine the pitfalls and downside to this, too.

Besides time, there comes the money and resources to support it, qualify events and monitor what's going on.

Then come the 'consistency' issue of calibrated grippers; the issues of weight plates and their true weights; ..............................Ouch...got a headache now.

Oh, well, I just talked myself out of it.

Just lift and have fun! :happy

Does Joe Kinney have a computer?

No

What is the evidence that Kinney closed the #4?

1. He said he did

2. Video shows him closing it

3. Apparently his wife was his witness

4. When a grip master offered to verify the closing, he was told it was not necessary.

What we 'think' about any of this leads either to a conclusion based on less than stellar conditions, or to an opinion which is, for evidentiary purposes, of no value.

Let's say the vote ends up 1,000 yes, 20 no. Does that mean he closed it?

If the vote is reversed, did he not close it? Meaningless.

To complicate matters, apparently the #4 he closed is missing, as is his former strength.

So now we are shelved on the uncomfortable position of judging a lift based on a man's word. If we refute, we are calling him a liar. If we agree, we are doing so based only on evidence that collectively no one else these days is allowed to use to ascertain accomplishments on. We are judged by stricter standards by the very organization that allowed approval of Joe's closing. Can you say, HUH?

Who said you can't have it both ways? :blink

I have to agree with Roark on this one. Video for Proof is the only way to go. It is kinda funny how his # 4 that he certified on dissappeared along with his grip strength. :tongue

Does anyone on this board have a copy of Joe Kinney's video that he sells ?

Didn't Joes #4 surface and end up in the hands of Ironmind? I seem to recall seeing a pic of it in the last catalog.

Who here has seen the video of Kinney closing a #4? I have and it is convincing. I believed he had done it before seeing the video.

Who here has seen the video of Kinney closing a #4? I have and it is convincing. I believed he had done it before seeing the video.

Convincing?

It is out of this world level -- to the point he could proably do a "no set" close with a 4. Which is why it is becoming legend and if no one comes close to it in the next 10 years, it will likely become a myth.

Kinney's close of the 4 makes Heath and Dave Morton look like grip weaklings!

his closing the #4 on the video is beyond compare....to date, I have not see a video of someone closing a #3 in the way Joe closed his #4!!! he closed it slowly-which actually speeds up at the very end of the close!!! not fast like someone has been quoted as saying that , something to the effect, to close a hard gripper you have to do a rapid close...the same person said that potatoes aren't possible to crush ( which was ridiculously easy for Joe ) , no one will close a #3 easily ( which has been done by many ), & that crushing cans with the strength of the hands wasn't possible either... I can just imagine what someone utters about his audible account of him crushing ( exploding ) cans on video. good grief :rolleyes

How long did it take for Kinney to close a number 3?

What sort of Reps did he do with a #3 after he got certified?

Daves off to a good start....and with his size may be able to do it *ALL someday?

:D *ALL?means thick bar,Rolling thunder,IM Big block pinches,blobs,sledge and ax leverages,grippers,perhaps can crushes....etc..............

I believe that Dave Morton is well on is way to at least doing what Joe kinney has done.

IMO, not even close OldGuy.

Joe does a superslow rep and then speeds up at the end -- hardly any set at all. Then, GRINDS the hell out of the handles while talking. Including lateral hand motion in the grind of course.

Dave explodes to close a 4. He's a million miles away. Most of us aren't even in the same universe as Kinney. :mosher