Akron Stronghands/ Wounded Warrior Fundraiser/ April 27th

bubba29

I am going to put on a grip competition April 27th at about 1 PM at Evolve Performance in Medina, Ohio (between Akron and Cleveland). It will be a fundraiser with 100% of the profit going to the Wounded Warrior Project .

I am hoping to increase interest in grip sport while also raising some good money for a GREAT cause. I am already starting to work on getting sponsors. The event most likely will not be NAGS sanctioned but it will be almost as good anyway. Please contact me ASAP if you are interested in participating as a sponsor, competitor, or both. Also feel free to share ideas and advice on how to make this a success.

I am working on a promotional flyer and a sign up sheet.....stay tuned

• Like 3

That is a great idea having the money go to a good cause. Any idea on the events or are you still thinking about them.

That is a great idea having the money go to a good cause. Any idea on the events or are you still thinking about them.

well, i have thought about it a bit. i hope to get a bunch of beginners, guys who don't know how to set a gripper. i am not sure a max gripper event is good for that scenario. i am torn on that.

i am thinking axle, 2 HP, and a medley for sure. maybe a hang for time from a rope or fat bar or RT handles. things are up in the air now but i will worry about nailing things down when i have a bunch of people committed. bottom line is i have a date and a venue. now i got to get to work.

Dang it. Myself and a bunch of the guys from the gym are competing in a powerliftig meet that day. Regardless, let me know if you need to borrow any equipment, we can at least help sponsor.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE CHANGE TO THE 27TH

thx for the help. i am trying to make this as doable as possible for the grip freaks in the area. hopefully as many of them can attend as possible and help spread the fun and challenge that is grip strength.

Count me in on attending. I will be able to bring some toys as well.

Count me in on attending. I will be able to bring some toys as well.

that's great! i don't want to you to break your back hauling too much but a few things for the medley would be great. i'll call you soon, thx.

Edited by bubba29

I wish it was another date. I am doing Tough Mudder April 27th.

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting close to finalizing events for this....here is what I am thinking so far after talking to a few people.

1) Grip centric farmers walk for distance

2) Fixed width 2 hand pinch, rising bar

3) Rolling Thunder, rising bar (total combined weight for 2 hands)

4) Medley (length and number of feats TBD)

5) Immediately following medley, a bodyweight max time hang on a grip taxing apparatus

So far, I have about 15 people who have said they will attend. I am hoping to have events that both experienced lifters and non experienced guys can do. There will be challenges and successes for all attending. I am going to have both Open and Novice divisions.

Edited by bubba29
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is cool. I don't know about the possibility of me being able to travel up there, but I'll keep an eye on this and try to work it out. It would be great to get together with other board members and learn a bunch of stuff. A beginners grip competition would be good for me as well.

This is cool. I don't know about the possibility of me being able to travel up there, but I'll keep an eye on this and try to work it out. It would be great to get together with other board members and learn a bunch of stuff. A beginners grip competition would be good for me as well.

Would be great to have you up. You can have a reunion with the blobs you sold me. There will be a novice division and Open division. I expect strong dudes in both. I was apprehensive about going to my first competition but I am SO glad I did. Great people and great time.

• Like 1

Email me the flyer so I can post it here.

durniatstrength@gmail.com

I will send you a stack of flyers for people to take and for you to post.

This sounds interesting, I will have to check with my school schedule...

i have read your log. step out of the YMCA and join us. you are certainly ready.

Edited by bubba29
  • Like 1

i have read your log. step out of the YMCA and join us. you are certainly ready.

Ha well thanks man. Just depends on when my final papers are due... Any idea how far Akron is from Louisville?

Ha well thanks man. Just depends on when my final papers are due... Any idea how far Akron is from Louisville?

my in laws used to live across the river in New Albany. i made the trip MANY times. it's between 5 and 6 hours depending on traffic and how fast you drive.

Okay so I've got two things due April 23, one due April 26.... And one due April 30. Ugh. But I still may be able to make it. I'll PM you about it...

Okay so I've got two things due April 23, one due April 26.... And one due April 30. Ugh. But I still may be able to make it. I'll PM you about it...

what is due the 30th? grip guys are the smartest meatheads around. someone should be able to help.