North American Grip Sport Championship 2013

andurniat

Very disappointing to say the least I wasn't able to attend this years Nationals but reading the results and the turn out fired me up! Everyone pulled big numbers so congrats to you all!

Eric, not for nothing and I don't mean to single you out but wow.... your feats of strength at that weight was impressive! Being a light guy myself it was very inspiring.

Very disappointing to say the least I wasn't able to attend this years Nationals but reading the results and the turn out fired me up! Everyone pulled big numbers so congrats to you all!

Eric, not for nothing and I don't mean to single you out but wow.... your feats of strength at that weight was impressive! Being a light guy myself it was very inspiring.

Thanks, man!

Light power! :rock:laugh

Couple more videos I have gotten uploaded.

Jedd Johnson Medley (BIG THANKS to Brandon Gerber for filming JT and me!)

Wrist Roller Video - ALL Athletes, except Paul Knight and Mary Sparks

Be sure to watch for Nick Rosendaul, doing the Axle Rose Dance.

• Like 3

Lol. That's good: The Axle Rose Dance.

A few more observations

1.) Eric's axle pulls by the way were text book strict by the way. I was amazed at how slowly he paused and lowered the bar.

2.) Jedd has a great write up on his site now. Amazing what he went through over the year to get back to Nationals and up his game!

I must add that this is one area where grip competition organisers have, by and large, failed. Keeping strict rules for the axle deadlift is not rocket science but there is some awful lifting that has been passed as good lifts. Not surprised at all that Eric, of all people, performed the lift as it should be done.

A few more observations

1.) Eric's axle pulls by the way were text book strict by the way. I was amazed at how slowly he paused and lowered the bar.

2.) Jedd has a great write up on his site now. Amazing what he went through over the year to get back to Nationals and up his game!

I must add that this is one area where grip competition organisers have, by and large, failed. Keeping strict rules for the axle deadlift is not rocket science but there is some awful lifting that has been passed as good lifts. Not surprised at all that Eric, of all people, performed the lift as it should be done.

A few more observations

My comment was not meant to start any controversy, I'm just saying that Eric went the extra mile on form and the eccentric phase of the lift.

Thanks for the compliment, Martin. I always strive to leave no doubt about the legality of my lifts, so to hear that it shows makes me feel good. Jedd was kind enough to upload my pinch of 200.19 and axle of 343.16. It looks like I let this particular axle down faster than the others:

• Like 2

I must admit my first reaction was; where is Eric? Why is that skinny dude standing in front of the Euro pinch?

A friend came over to our place yesterday and she looked at me and said; are you sick?

Why can't people let us anorectics do our thing without our sanity being questioned all the time? :)

Do you have an example of this terrible form?

That's all you got?

Do you understand what 'one example' means?

Of course.

How about an example that doesn't have anything to do with a bar that was gripped off center and the athlete still pulled it to lockout?

mikael is correct. some lifts have been passed that should not have been. there's no need to make it more than that. his statement was also addressed at us grip comps overall. he brought this up last year that we need to standardize rules so we all know what a good lift is. I for one don't want a lift passed that isn't legit.

I believe that the US standard is supposed to be IPF rules?? am I correct about that. this might just be a matter of reviewing what is a good axle lift before we start the event.

All I'm asking for is an example. Mikael chose the one lift that has taken place in the last 10 years in a comp where the bar was tilted.

Instead of just making these broad statements, give us something to work with Mikael. With your intellect and insight, I'd expect a contribution that we can work with, build from, and improve things. Maybe a video on Youtube where the shoulders weren't pulled back or something. Point us to the video, offer the critique, and give us something to work with. This is all I am asking.

I am all for tightening up judging, but it makes it tough to do if there's no info to work with. Maybe we need a side judge or something. I am thinking about that for the Grip Fall Classic.

On several occasions have I seen youtube videos from grip competitions in the US with dodgy judging of axle lifts. I don't save these clips in a special file on my computer. I shall have a look again and present some more examples. Give me a day or two.

The lift I chose is significant in that it is recognised here as a WR.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Look from 0.34

Were Brent and you lift passed as good lifts Jedd?

If that is the case then both represent examples of this 'dodgy judging'. Brent did not hold it motionless at the top and you were lifting your toes, balancing on your heels.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

140k is a good lift, 150k is not (a German comp).

Watch at 7:40 (competition in Russia, to give examples around the world).

This should not pass as she is actually dropping the weight. She has no control over it at all the last 10-20cm before it hits the floor.

These are examples to work with. Thanks, Mikael.

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. When I was a member of the International Grip Collective I proposed International Powerlifing Federation standards for the axle. Not to split hairs, but I want to make an important distinction between what the IPF rules state and how some of their judges actually interpret and enforce those rules. I can speak to this personally, having been under their scrutiny on the platform. Well written rules minimize room for judges' interpretation, and while the IPF rules are well written and their judging is for the most part fair, I've witnessed cases in which judges went above and beyond. That's what we need to avoid. For example, I completed what most would consider a picture perfect deadlift only to receive two red lights. I asked the head ref about it and he explained I didn't return the bar to the platform under control. Well, I guess he and I interpreted "under control differently". He was looking for a million frames per second slow motion. My idea was hands on the bar until it returned and rested on the platform (watching some recent Worlds, I see this trend seems to have stopped, thankfully). Of course, you also have examples of guys being locked out while the judge is apparently counting "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand...". Most of the videos Mikael posted are good examples of what should be failed attempts. A couple of them are borderline. With borderline I think the lifter should be given the benefit of the doubt. The Russian girl, although her hands were opening up as the bar approached the floor, appears to still have hand contact with the bar all the way down. I would have passed that lift. Also, while Brent's lift did receive a quick "down" signal, he did appear to have just reached the lockout position. Again, perhaps I'm splitting hairs here, but these are important points that need to be nailed down by all concerned. But the examples Mikael produced on short notice aside, I've seen plenty of pulls given the "down" command short of lockout at grip contests over the years. And I think that's far and away the biggest, most prevalent problem we need to fix.

• Like 1

Here's the IPF rules as they could apply to grip sport (rule #1 is specific to powerlifting). As a side note, Jedd's rocking back on his heels is permissable:

2. On completion of the lift the knees shall be locked in a straight position and the shoulders back.
3. The Chief Referee’s signal shall consist of a downward movement of the arm and the audible
command “Down”. The signal will not be given until the bar is held motionless and the lifter is in the
apparent finished position.
4. Any rising of the bar or any deliberate attempt to do so will count as an attempt. Once the attempt has
begun no downward movement is allowed until the lifter reaches the erect position with the knees
locked. If the bar settles as the shoulders come back (slightly downward on completion) this should not
be reason to disqualify the lift.
Causes for Disqualification of a Deadlift.
1. Any downward movement of the bar before it reaches the final position.
2. Failure to stand erect with the shoulders back.
3. Failure to lock the knees straight at the completion of the lift.
4. Supporting the bar on the thighs during the performance of the lift. If the bar edges up the thigh but is
not supported this is not reason for disqualification. The lifter should benefit in all decisions of doubt
made by the referee.
5. Stepping backward or forward or moving the feet laterally. Rocking the feet between the ball and heel
is permitted. Foot movement after the command “Down” will not be cause for failure.
6. Lowering the bar before receiving the Chief Referee’s signal.
7. Allowing the bar to return to the platform without maintaining control with both hands, i.e.: releasing
the bar from the palms of the hand.
8. Failure to comply with any of the items outlined under Rules of Performance.
And North American Grip Sport rules:
An Axle is a lifting bar that is much thicker than normal powerlifting or Olympic bars.

The athlete must grasp the Axle in a Double Overhand (both hands pronated) Grip. A conventional or sumo stance is permitted. The athlete must lift the bar to a fully locked-out position with shoulders back, at which time the judge will make the call to return the bar to the floor. The bar must be returned to the floor under control. If the bar slips out of the lifter's hands, the attempt is disqualified.

Axles other than IronMind's Appollon's Axle are permitted in NAGS-sanctioned contests, but lifts will not be counted toward potential Elite Status qualification.
My suggestion would be to bring these two sets of rules more in line, perhaps even copy and paste the IPF rules...