Bridging The Gap 3/16 To 1/4

Nel34

I recently started bending an got the beginner bag from FBBC. I can bend everything in 3/16 stock but can't touch the 1/4x7". I noticed there should have been some grade 2 bolts in the bag but I did not see them. What should I be bending in order to help bridge the gap to be able to bend the 1/4 stuff? Would it be grade 2 bolts? Thanks for your thoughts.

Grade 2's will probably be good for you. Most I have seen have three lines on top of the head all lined up with one another.

You also might just try some generic bolts at the hardware store.

I recently started bending an got the beginner bag from FBBC. I can bend everything in 3/16 stock but can't touch the 1/4x7". I noticed there should have been some grade 2 bolts in the bag but I did not see them. What should I be bending in order to help bridge the gap to be able to bend the 1/4 stuff? Would it be grade 2 bolts? Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm immediately curious of how much padding you use. I'm a big proponent of using singles until you reach a plateau and then slap doubles on it.

Then I work progressively using less padding (1 2/3, 1 1/2, 1 1/3).

It may not work for everyone, but for me, it made me realize a couple of things.

One...that the steel that "can't" be bent...really can. (It really demystifies whatever level you are stuck at.)

Two...I wasn't too weak, I just didn't want to push past my discomfort level on the kink.

Now...there are some who consider it cheating the feat.

While it's true that there are different leverage points that are created when you use extra padding, overall, it works the same muscles and it's a great tool to move you from point A to point B.

If I had stuck to singles...I'd probably still be iso-ing on the same damn piece of steel.

If you haven't done this...give it a shot...you may be pleasantly surprised.

not too long ago, i was in the same boat as you. i found a local metal supply place where i could buy different grades of bar stock. try 3/16 square cold rolled, 60D timber ties, 1/4 round hot rolled if you can find any of those. buy a bolt cutter and cut the lengths you need. in the end, this route is cheaper and you will get stronger.

• Like 1

Home Depot sells the Spiral 60d nails and 1/4" x 6" carriage bolts they are a little softer than other bolts that I have found and easier to bend than the 60d straight nails.

thanks for the responses. Too bad the FBBC bag didn't include the grade 2's. I think the bag was supposed to contain them. Oh well. padding? I'm using the FBBC wraps, I'd say they are 4x12". I'm only wrapping with one pad as that's all I have.

I found a metal supply shop and was able to buy some 3/16 prior to getting the bag. Small $ which is good. I wish they had the 1/4 hot rolled but they don't. Here's their stock list. Let me know what you think I could get from them that may help the progression

http://www.sullivanmetals.com/media/Stock_LIST.pdf

Jedd, I have your bending book. Great work. I looked at what you had pictured for grade 2's and that's how I know the FBBC bag didn't contain any. Ill look at the local hardware stores for the bolts and 60d spirals.

thanks for the responses. Too bad the FBBC bag didn't include the grade 2's. I think the bag was supposed to contain them. Oh well. padding? I'm using the FBBC wraps, I'd say they are 4x12". I'm only wrapping with one pad as that's all I have. I found a metal supply shop and was able to buy some 3/16 prior to getting the bag. Small $ which is good. I wish they had the 1/4 hot rolled but they don't. Here's their stock list. Let me know what you think I could get from them that may help the progression http://www.sullivanmetals.com/media/Stock_LIST.pdf Jedd, I have your bending book. Great work. I looked at what you had pictured for grade 2's and that's how I know the FBBC bag didn't contain any. Ill look at the local hardware stores for the bolts and 60d spirals.

maybe post a video? there should be some 3/16" square stock in the FBBC bag that is harder than the round, but easier than the 1/4".

Yes there were some square in the bag. Eating those up quick as they do provide a little bit more challenge but not enough to get me over the hump.

like I said, maybe post a video, probably someone can help you with the technique. I bet you're strong enough to bend some 7 x 1/4" stock.

thanks for the responses. Too bad the FBBC bag didn't include the grade 2's. I think the bag was supposed to contain them. Oh well. padding? I'm using the FBBC wraps, I'd say they are 4x12". I'm only wrapping with one pad as that's all I have. I found a metal supply shop and was able to buy some 3/16 prior to getting the bag. Small $ which is good. I wish they had the 1/4 hot rolled but they don't. Here's their stock list. Let me know what you think I could get from them that may help the progression http://www.sullivanmetals.com/media/Stock_LIST.pdf Jedd, I have your bending book. Great work. I looked at what you had pictured for grade 2's and that's how I know the FBBC bag didn't contain any. Ill look at the local hardware stores for the bolts and 60d spirals.

Thanks, brother. Glad it has been of help for a reference.

There are hundreds of sources for steel. You might just try guessing and ordering some stuff and giving it a try when it comes. Mark it when you get it so you remember what it is. Every so often give it a try.

What technique are you using?

I'm using reverse or du. Realized I was doing reverse wrong when I reread your book. I was using the wrong hand as the anchor. For some reason I always start with reverse, I like the way it feels but if I can't move It i switch to du. Overall, I think du is going to be the way to go for me. I feel like The start is closer to the body and I'm able to generate more power with it closer.

Try some DO! Barring previous injury or lack of flexibility, it's physiologically the strongest position for unbraced bending.

• Like 1

Just bent 2- 3/16"x7" in one bend. That was tough for me but I got it. I had to put some work into it. Maybe in the meantime I can continue bend some doubles until I get some of the grade 2 bolts to bridge the gap.

For the DO Ill have to read the e-book for some more insight on it. Bending two of them has really lit me up. So far its been either an easier or so bend or something I cant move. Having to really work through the bend on the double has fueled the fire...Thats the feeling I want

I picked up some 1/4 hrs and cut it to 7 inches. Bent it pretty easily. It was tougher bending the two 3/16x7". The 1/4 bent funny, almost like a horseshoe. The ends were about inch or so apart and the bend was really rounded. I guess I'll cut the hrs stuff down to 6.5 and see how that is.

It took me a little time to find that out. Also chalking up my IM pads helped me tremendously.

Chalk is a valuable tool. Moisture and oil are not your friends.