Nags Contest Question

EricMilfeld

I prefer using the "rounds system" for contests, which has all of the lifters taking their first attempts in a rising bar order, then doing the same for second attempts, and so on. So, would allowing guys to drop down in weight after a miss be allowable? I know it's already allowed for grippers.

Pinch and Axle are rising bar throughout.

Pinch and Axle are rising bar throughout.

Okay, so that's what I was unclear about. We don't have the option of contesting Pinch and Axle with the Rounds System, for the results to be considered NAGS official? I didn't see in the rules where it was specifically mentioned they must be contested with a rising bar format...

individuals may not lower the weight if they miss. I think that rule would still work with a rounds system as long as they hit the same weight or greater on following attempts. pm jedd.

This rule is in the IGC rules set that was developed. The only event that I can think of right now allowing drops is Grippers. And that does not HAVE to be the case if the main promoter dctates against it. For instance, David generally asks that no drops be made on the Vulcan for WSH.

I will add these details to the contest-specific rules sets on the GripSport.org site today. http://www.gripsport.org/rules.htm

Thanks, Jedd. So, we can use the rounds system as long as weight reductions are not allowed, except for grippers. Is that right?

EDIT: Okay, I just read through the official rules that Aaron just posted. I see the rounds system is permitted, but the description of the rounds system, unless I'm misreading it, doesn't jive with what it has historically meant in powerlifting.

Here's how it's been done in powerlifting, and how I've used it in some grip contests: All lifters take their first attempts using a rising bar format. Then all lifters take their second attempts using a rising bar format, and so on. The description in the rules seem to be saying one person would run through all his attempts based on the lot number drawn, then an other lifter would do the same, etc. Am I reading that wrong?

To me, the Rounds system is just Rising Bar where the weight keeps getting taken off and put back on.

The Rising Bar system is mainly used to disallow people taking an attempt, missing, and then asking for a lighter weight on their next turn.

As long as the competitors will not be allowed to take a lower weight, I see no problem with it.

Is there a benefit to the Rounds system that I am not aware of?

Jedd

Jedd, yes, there are advantages. I'm old enough to remember when it was introduced in powerlifting. Meets would frequently run until midnight and later with the rising bar format. Granted, in the early days of only one or two federations meets were huge. But the rounds system greatly reduced the running time. Prior to "rounds" lifters would often be following themselves on the platform, so the rules provided them with additional rest time, which is only fair. But it's this additional rest time that turned many a meet into an 18 hour marathon. With "rounds" each lifter always had a minute to be on the platform initiating his lift after the bar was loaded. So, all the lifters were well rested between attempts and the meets ran faster without all the hectic haste. It was a win-win. Remember, weight is only taken off the bar twice per event: after all lifters have completed first attempts, and after second attempts, of course after third attempts you would be starting the next event, anyways. And, no, rounds never allowed guys to try a lighter weight. Of course, you could repeat a missed attempt, just as with rising bar.

Why would weight only be taken off the bar twice per event if the contestants get 4 attempts? It would have to be taken off 3 times right?

Why would weight only be taken off the bar twice per event if the contestants get 4 attempts? It would have to be taken off 3 times right?

For grip, yes. I was referring to the standard 3-lift power meet.

Oh, OK.

I think this is something that needs to be voted on by the IGC before fully OKing it.

I don't want there to be a decision to not count the lifts at the last minute, or worse yet after the contest is run.

I will initiate the vote.

Jedd

Oh, OK.

I think this is something that needs to be voted on by the IGC before fully OKing it.

I don't want there to be a decision to not count the lifts at the last minute, or worse yet after the contest is run.

I will initiate the vote.

Jedd

Indeed. Thanks.

Eric, per a vote within the IGC, Rounds is perfectly fine, provided no drops in weight are used.

Thanks.

Jedd

Eric, per a vote within the IGC, Rounds is perfectly fine, provided no drops in weight are used.

Thanks.

Jedd

Very cool. Thanks, Jedd.