Standard One-hand Pinch Width

Mephistopholes

So I'm looking to start up doing some focused pinch work again, as my left thumb is feeling better. I have a pinch block I made from 2 x 4, so it has a 2 inch width... But I'm just wondering, is there a "standard" one hand pinch width? Is there a standard 2 hand pinch width? If so, what are they? Obviously it's not hard to make one of these, so if the standard is different, I can replace it pretty easy...

Thanks,

Bobby

If I had a setup that could only be one width, I would make it 54mm.

There is no standard. In competition you're allowed widths from probably in the 30s up through the 60s.

I feel like A LOT of guys of all hand sizes do pinch or have pinched at 54mm though.

For about 2 or 3 years, just about everybody was pinching on 54-mm, so I am with Matt on this one.

Excellent, thanks guys.

On another note: I'd much rather be using blocks and blobs, but those are too expensive to accumulate at the moment. Haha

This would also explain why I was having trouble finding a "standard" width... Haha

Just as information - a standard 2 x 4 "board" is only 1.5" x 3.5". It wasn't clear in your post if it was a steel block or wooden you were using. Most people can lift more one handed at a slightly wider pinch width than when using two hands - not sure why. Example - my best 2 HP pinch width is 52mm and I do best one handed at 58mm. For training - various widths are probably best over time.

Yeah I cut a piece of board and put an eye hook on it.

1.5" equals only 38.1mm so this is pretty narrow. You can glue a 1" board onto that (actual width is 3/4" - this would give you 2.25" or 57.15mm.

That would actually fit my hands a little better, my long fingers come off the end of the 2 x 4 and makes me cheat sometimes by accident.

Okay, finally got a chance to measure my wood block... About 37mms. Haha.

I go thicker on 1 hand pinch as well, I also currently use 54 but am consiidering going thicker (2hp)

Edited by rico300zx

Yeah I cut a piece of board and put an eye hook on it.

Get a bit of steel RHS and hang an eye bolt off a hole in the middle...a much better training tool. You should be able to find a piece 300mm long in a local fabricators scrap bin.

Thanks man!

But what is RHS? Do you mean HRS?

Rectangular hollow section.

I like do one hand euro pinch at 54mm and 2hp 50mm width. I also do two-six discs pinch with different widths ( 50mm, 52mm, 54mm, 56mm, 60mm, 68mm, 84mm, 86mm, 98mm, +100mm etc... ) (Duke, York, Leoko, Eleiko, Casall etc plates.)

I like do one hand euro pinch at 54mm and 2hp 50mm width. I also do two-six discs pinch with different widths ( 50mm, 52mm, 54mm, 56mm, 60mm, 68mm, 84mm, 86mm, 98mm, +100mm etc... ) (Duke, York, Leoko, Eleiko, Casall etc plates.)

Yeah I've seen the videos of those plate pinches, they get ridiculously wide! Haha. If I had access to better plates that weren't rubber coated, id try that.

Yeah I've seen the videos of those plate pinches, they get ridiculously wide! Haha. If I had access to better plates that weren't rubber coated, id try that.

If you have change to try this 50kg rubber plate (66mm) it is worth of the effort.

If you have change to try this 50kg rubber plate (66mm) it is worth of the effort.

Haha dude that is awesome! Looks like fun too... Nah unfortunately all the Y has are rubber coated plates going up to 45lbs. I'm hoping to scratch together enough money to buy some used dumbbells to cut up. I have a few blocks, but not much. I have this machinist who has drawn up plans to make a 50lb blob replica for me, but it's too expensive at the moment. I was actualy thinking, just to be resourceful, that I could grab one of the dumbbells at the Y and between squat sets, up end it and lift it a few times by the face. Of course, the rubber coating on the heads will make this a little easier, but the fact that it's a facelift and I'm pulling the whole weight of the dumbbell (not just one head) should even out the difficulty. It's something I could do at least for the moment. They wouldnt let me keep blocks and blobs there anyway, they'd by lying all over the place and kids would be dropping them on their toes trying to lift them. Haha

It is

Haha dude that is awesome! Looks like fun too... Nah unfortunately all the Y has are rubber coated plates going up to 45lbs. I'm hoping to scratch together enough money to buy some used dumbbells to cut up. I have a few blocks, but not much. I have this machinist who has drawn up plans to make a 50lb blob replica for me, but it's too expensive at the moment. I was actualy thinking, just to be resourceful, that I could grab one of the dumbbells at the Y and between squat sets, up end it and lift it a few times by the face. Of course, the rubber coating on the heads will make this a little easier, but the fact that it's a facelift and I'm pulling the whole weight of the dumbbell (not just one head) should even out the difficulty. It's something I could do at least for the moment. They wouldnt let me keep blocks and blobs there anyway, they'd by lying all over the place and kids would be dropping them on their toes trying to lift them. Haha

It´s hard to find reasonably-priced plates. I have Leoko and Eleiko plates and they are sick expensive. I would also want some heavy HEX weights and York plates. I just ordered to my kids 8kg and 10kg blobkweights and I hope too that they dont drop those on their toes. :grin:

Haha yeah those plates are wayyy too expensive for me right now. Haha. One of these days though, I'll have enough to get a rack and plates for my garage... And a garage with a ceiling high enough to press in. Haha.

Well, these ain't my kids. Haha. No kids for me. But at the Y I go to, there are generally a crowd of High schoolers who lift. Football players and wrestlers... They try (and fail, apparently) to lift my axle. I imagine if there were block weights there it would be bad news. Haha

• 3 weeks later...