Good Potential Or Will Small Hands Hold Me Back?

duckplus

I TNS the CoC #1 on my first try with my right hand, but not my left. I haven't done gripper training before, but I have done bar hangs and towel hangs (I've also been doing calisthenics for a few years). I'm 17 and have 6.75" hands. Provided I follow an effective workout plan, use good form, and remain consistent, will I be able to get far with my crushing strength? Or will my relatively small hand size get in the way?

I know these sort of a questions are difficult to answer, since everyone is different, but I figure a rough idea might be reasonable to make.

Thanks.

My advice is to train and not worry about it, work your tail off, make progress and enjoy it. Some things you can control and some you can't, no sense in worring about what you can't.

There are some smaller handed fellers on here than have made some great lifts, a lot of it is just wanting to be better and training hard.

• Like 3

My advice is to train and not worry about it, work your tail off, make progress and enjoy it. Some things you can control and some you can't, no sense in worring about what you can't.

There are some smaller handed fellers on here than have made some great lifts, a lot of it is just wanting to be better and training hard.

+1

Like has been said - what you have is what you have - not a lot you can do about how long they are - just make them as strong as possible. I don't know what you weigh but generally speaking the introduction the weight classes in Grip Sport is hopefully going to bring in smaller guys who will generally have smaller hands like yourself. So you may very well be highly competitive.

Edited by climber511

If you're not handicapped or have freakishly small hands then only thing that will hold you back is yourself and your mindset.

First of all, no-setting a #1 with 6.75" hands is excellent!

Also, if you ever care to compete, the lightest weight class of the eight contested is 59 kilos, at which your hand size would probably be about average.

I'm told Dennis Rogers has small hands - doesn't appear to have held him back any. For things like grippers, and hubs, smaller hands may even be an advantage.

• Like 1

Duckplus,

Don't worry about hand size. You can get insanely strong no matter what size your hands are. For sure, you can get plenty stronger with training. My hands are just a touch larger than yours at 7.25", but I have done alright despite having "small hands". I am so much stronger than when I first started grip training in the late 90's, and that is what matters most to me. Set goals for yourself, plan, execute, and achieve them. Along the way, enjoy the ride and know you are building man.

I wish the best for you!

Tom

• Like 2

Mark Felix struggled with the #3 for years due to his large hands, so it can work both ways

I TNS the CoC #1 on my first try with my right hand, but not my left. I haven't done gripper training before, but I have done bar hangs and towel hangs (I've also been doing calisthenics for a few years). I'm 17 and have 6.75" hands. Provided I follow an effective workout plan, use good form, and remain consistent, will I be able to get far with my crushing strength? Or will my relatively small hand size get in the way?

I know these sort of a questions are difficult to answer, since everyone is different, but I figure a rough idea might be reasonable to make.

Thanks.

It absolutely won't be a problem when it comes to grippers. At least not if you work with MMS (parallel set) closes, which most people here does.

Yes they will hold you back. You might as well give up now before you put any effort in to trying to get stronger than your current level...... The only thing that will hold you back from getting stronger will be not working hard.

• Like 1

Yes they will hold you back. You might as well give up now before you put any effort in to trying to get stronger than your current level...... The only thing that will hold you back from getting stronger will be not working hard.

That's what I'm saying. Haha. Work hard, and fight like a damn wolverine. You are your only limiter.

Closing a Number one, no set, AT AGE 17 is very good. Not average, not just good, but very good.

Grip strength gets stronger as you get older. Even though there are insurance-company funded studies that say grip strength peaks at this age or that, because as a sport it is so new, no one really knows when it does peak. But I will say this: your best years are ahead of you. Your grip strength will be way stronger at age 25 than it is now, and will be stronger yet at age 30. You are starting sooner than 99.9% of the population, and 99% ahead of gripsters. Your future is bright.

• Like 1

Quick question guys....where is the measurement for hand size taken from? End of pinky to end of thumb?

That is the way it is measured in NFL Combines. That is hand spread.

Grip Guys usually measure from the first crease at the base of the wrist to the tip of the middle finger.

For example, Mark Felix has 10 1/2 inch hands the way "we" measure them (simply unbelievable), and 11 inches on the spread (very very large, but not approaching the proportion of his hand length).

The average male has about 7 and one-half inch hands, grip dude-style of measurement. More than 8 inches is generally considered large.

Quick question guys....where is the measurement for hand size taken from? End of pinky to end of thumb?

For example, Mark Felix has 10 1/2 inch hands the way "we" measure them (simply unbelievable)

Holy 1st baseman's mitt Batman!!! :huh:

For example, Mark Felix has 10 1/2 inch hands the way "we" measure them (simply unbelievable)

Haha. I saw a video on YouTube in which he explains the size of his hands and measures them and remember thinking "Holy crap, I thought I had big hands, but this dude could be one of the X-Men! This explains a few things..."

Thanks for the info...I just measured at 8 inches, but my hands are quite thin. I was under the impression that I had small hands, I think the thickness was a little deceiving.

10.5 inches is just huge..:)

Haha. I saw a video on YouTube in which he explains the size of his hands and measures them and remember thinking "Holy crap, I thought I had big hands, but this dude could be one of the X-Men! This explains a few things..."

Yeah, that video is where I got the stats on Felix's hands.

The NFL has, in the last few years, made hand spread an issue for Quarterbacks. That being said, Michael Vick's hands are pretty well-publicized as having an 8 1/2 inch spread. The consensus is that for Pro Quarterbacks, the average spread is 9 1/2 inches. Favre's were, depending on who was writing, somewhere between 10 3/8s and 10 5/8s inches.

I first noticed NFL talking about "hand size" when a few years back, in San Francisco, and QB Alex Smith was struggling, the rap on him was he had "small hands". John Madden is on the radio every week day on a SF radio station, and when he was asked about it, he said "I don't know, but they sure should have measured them before he was signed". At that moment,for the first time, I realized that people besides Grip Guys were obssessing about hand size...

It is pretty funny that most grip guys concede that Mark Felix has huge genetic advantages on the Rolling Thunder, and at the same time, there is that video of Mark more or less saying "Help me. I think my hands are too big for grippers."! Just no pleasing everybody! :)

• Like 1

Haha well, I think it just goes to show you, wherever we have weaknesses, the first thing we want to do it make excuses for it. "my hands are too small!" or "my hands are too big!" or in my own case, I've caught myself saying "my limbs are too long!" but what it really comes down to is will power. You want it? Go get it. You can either make it happen, or you can stop yourself with your own doubts before you ever try.

• Like 2

My hands are only 7 inches from base to middle finger tip, Ive only noticed a handicap from this in ccs closing grippers. Seems to me that the coverage you get from your fingers wrapping around the handle, can give you some advantage in certain sets mainly tns and ccs sets. This may just be me, but when I try for ccs, it seems I lose alot with the setting of the gripper and even more with the fumbling of the card itselfs.