Bosco Bell

steve0

Just wanted to post a follow up.....I loaded my Bosco Bell with lead shot tonight from Rotometals and it weighs roughly 140lbs. I'm sure I could probably squeeze just a little more shot in there if I had to. I was able to consistently lift it with each hand on all my attempts tonight in between sets of deadlifts, so that's a good start.

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

I got my shot from them too, I should have looked for something smaller. It settles after a while, my bell is a hair over 150 now, so I was able to fit more lead into it. I think I will be melting the lead down in a small cast iron pan and pouring it once I can high pull it at 150. That should allow me to get the full 150lbs of lead I ordered into the 14lb bell.

With the lead packed in there tight, and having to really torque the side bolts in, do you notice that it has a nice rotation to it when lifting like I do John?

With the lead packed in there tight, and having to really torque the side bolts in, do you notice that it has a nice rotation to it when lifting like I do John?

Definitely....the bells act similarly to the real deal when they're packed solid.

I now have three ways I'm training the inch...plate loaded trainer, Bosco Bell and Inch replica.

• Like 1

The guys the shop liked the idea of a Bosco Bell or Circus type bell made with a slot like a piggy bank. We have buckets of the steel nickel and quarter sized "rack poop" punchings you can fill a bell like that with. A bucket of the stuff weighs about 185. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I don't know how big the lead shot lead shot it, but I got some steel shot I don't know what its made for maybe sandblasting this stuff is almost like fine sand, but it's really really heavy maybe something like that could be used for the bell. actually the way I acquired it was a local school was ditching the gymnasium bleachers and there were giant rollers under the bleachers so you can roll them back againstthe wall. for the rollers I thought it would be a good tool for practicing on the blob but I took a screw out and the steel, well the shot was inside of it, pours out like sand in a hour glass through screw hole. I will try searching for sandblasting company that sells metal abrasives and compare that weight to lead shot

• 7 months later...

Got my custom order Bosco bell last night, want to thank Richard and his team once again for the fine product!

12" globes! Here it is next to the baby Inch...

post-4814-0-96860600-1396692338_thumb.jp

Edited by dhartnet
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

If only there was an easy and cheap way to buy mercury. It's like 850lb a cubic foot.

Edited by Oldrustystuff

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought but how about emptying a globe and use a drill bit extension entering from the fill hole to drill through the globe into the empty void in the handle so it can be filled with lead also

• Like 2

Good thinking! We can do custom solid steel billet handle and there is the ever present Rack poop steel disk punchings from our power rack multi hole system available. Larger spheres are available too.

Just a thought but how about emptying a globe and use a drill bit extension entering from the fill hole to drill through the globe into the empty void in the handle so it can be filled with lead also

The Saxon Trio had a barbell like this: hollow handle filled with quicksilver/mercury. I believe this is the same barbell that Sandow lost to Arthur Saxon in a Bent Press showdown. Saxon wound up suing Saxon over his loss. I think it'd be cool for you to drill out that handle....could be fun!!

• 5 months later...

So what's the final word on the Bosco Bell? Loadable to 170+? Good, affordable alternative for those of us in the boonies?

So what's the final word on the Bosco Bell? Loadable to 170+? Good, affordable alternative for those of us in the boonies?

Loved mine. Not sure you'd get it to 170. 150 - 160 possibly. Handle was a bit different texture than the Baby Inch I tried, and the globes were farther apart, which actually made the Bosco a bit harder. Still for the loadable nature of it, I think it can't be beat. Loading and unloading was not really all that troublesome.

Awesome, thank you.

Also, I wasn't implying that if it's under 170 it's too light for me. Just that historically speaking 170 is kind of the classic weight for such an implement.

Edited by jmatney

• 2 years later...

I do not know why, but I now think I want the Bosco Piggy Bank...

mayby it is time to start counting my pennies...

• Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 4:21 PM, richcottrell said:

I do not know why, but I now think I want the Bosco Piggy Bank...

mayby it is time to start counting my pennies...

Fill it with your pocket change everyday, do some reps, and in a few years it will be over 170lbs

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/2/2017 at 10:03 AM, Jared Goguen said:

Fill it with your pocket change everyday, do some reps, and in a few years it will be over 170lbs

It also would possibly be the first grip tool that encourages you to save your money instead of buying more grip $tuff.