Human Hand Crushing Limits?

kasparov

Some good points you made there.

If I offered a million dollar prize for the first 1.5" set block ghp 10 close, and broadcast the challenge around the world, how long do you think it would take for someone to do it?

Has someone rated a GHP 10?

That thing seems to be as mystical as the yeti...

...sure RGC has it's limitations, but it's the best thing we have, especially in terms of being cost effective.

Edit:

@Wade:

Getting Nathan officially on vid was the grip feat of the year!

Edited by honk

I believe they currently have the technology to determine exactly just what forces

the human hand can withstand.

Once this is determined a number could be attached to this question.

So, the better question is what kind of forces are the human hands capable of withstanding?

Keep in mind that the muscles of the hands and forearms are small and motor unit recruitment is

maxed out. It now becomes a question of how can an individual increase their rate of force production

through "rate coding"?

For example, for the sake of argument and being able to visualize rate coding let's say that the hand muscles involved

in crushing gripper x consists of 1000 motor units total. Due to their small size all the MU's are recruited. Being recruitment is maxed out the only way to get more force production is to increase their rate of force production (rate coding) by encouraging the CNS to fire these MU's at a faster rate. Let's say they are firing at 100 times per second. If one could increase this firing rate to 200 times per second then the force output would be greater.

Ultimately it boils down to what kind of forces can the human hand withstand. At a certain point one's crushing strength would surpass the failure tolerance of all the connective tissues involved and this would lead to injury and failure of closing gripper x regardless of the numbers (RGC) attached to that gripper.

Where does this leave us? What's the limits of human hand crushing strength? Whatever the human hand can withstand without self destruction!

Another thing to consider is would the human CNS even allow such a huge amount of force to be applied through the hands. So many factors to consider in this question! It is exciting to ponder this question and at least make predictions

based on what can currently be closed (GHP 9) with a 1.5" set. Is this the limits of human hand crushing strength?

My prediction would be in the range of 250 - 275 lbs and any individual in the future capable of this would posses ideal genetic factors that would allow such a squeeze!

• Confused 1

I don't really think it makes sense to talk about limits, unless it is in the context of surpassing them.

I don't really think it makes sense to talk about limits, unless it is in the context of surpassing them.

All humans have limits.

The only thing I can think of without limits is in a mathematical sense of infinity.

I don't know. I remember going to the museum and seeing how small people were on average and how far the average human has come in terms of size, speed, and strength in every record book there is. Looking at things through today's eyes is one thing but to try to understand what may come in the future of men - I just don't believe that if history shows us anything - it's that the human potential and abilities change over time. In my lifetime I have seen the average height, weight and life expectancy change a lot. Pro football linemen used to be huge at 250 pounds - now we see 325 all the time. In a hundred years 400 pound muscular men might be fairly common - and who knows what that might bring for the "freaks" of that era - is a 500# muscular man possible? And if so, his structure could withstand and generate forces beyond our comprehension today. I guess I don't see limitations having been reached at all today. And if we think drugs create performance - what might gene doping or whatever it will be called do as it advances? I think all individuals have limits but not necessarily mankind.

Edited by climber511
  • Thanks 1

I don't know. I remember going to the museum and seeing how small people were on average and how far the average human has come in terms of size, speed, and strength in every record book there is. Looking at things through today's eyes is one thing but to try to understand what may come in the future of men - I just don't believe that if history shows us anything - it's that the human potential and abilities change over time. In my lifetime I have seen the average height, weight and life expectancy change a lot. Pro football linemen used to be huge at 250 pounds - now we see 325 all the time. In a hundred years 400 pound muscular men might be fairly common - and who knows what that might bring for the "freaks" of that era - is a 500# muscular man possible? And if so, his structure could withstand and generate forces beyond our comprehension today. I guess I don't see limitations having been reached at all today. And if we think drugs create performance - what might gene doping or whatever it will be called do as it advances? I think all individuals have limits but not necessarily mankind.

Yeah good point it will be science that pushes the human limits

Good post Chris!

Just for clarification, I'm saying all humans have limits due to the structure of their bodies. I didn't say we have reached

the limits of human potential yet. I don't know what the future holds but from what I can gather it won't be the human mind

striving to reach limits that once thought was impossible. It will be from performance enhancing drugs, genetic manipulation,

and possibly nano technology. I guess a good question to ponder would be what's the limits of a natural human being versus

one filled with drugs and so forth?

Will there ever be a human that weighs 500 lbs with 5% body fat? I believe that indeed there will be but not by natural means.

Personally, I believe mankind will self destruct before these kinds of humans start lurking the earth. Along the same lines

I believe that nuclear weapons are NOT the biggest threat to mankind today! The biggest threat to mankind today is over population!

We will run out of resources to feed these genetic anomalies before we see their potential. People simply don't realize how serious

this problem is today! Got a little off topic here but there is a connection ultimately!

This is turning out to be a great thread!

Wade, did you ask Nathan? Might be worth a try. Maybe he would let you crop out certain footage?

Yes, it would remove a list of questions about the true potential of Nathan.

He's a very humble guy. He do not even want to show face in the video. It is true - that the lift of Millennium DB?

Edited by Kashtan