Thumb Pain

indiladhar

Started: a number of months ago, I stopped for a while, I thought it had healed but when I started pinching again it returned.

Last trained: almost a month ago, no grip work at all since then. I iced the location now and then but have been abroad for two weeks so I haven't done anything during this time.

Location: from the second joint in the thumb down into the hand, almost to the wrist. It's along that bone, though I'm pretty sure it's the tendon there.

When does it hurt: during any pinching, thumb extension, even down to holding a mug. For some reason it doesn't hurt when I press my thumb down- like a thumb wrestle position.

I'm not really sure what to do to help it heal, I avoid any sort of work, should I continue icing or apply heat? There are times when the pain pulses on and off, the rest of the time there's no pain unless I try to use the thumb for pinching. Any sort of info would be appreciated!

If it hurts to hold a mug after that long rest period you need to see a doctor. I can recommend things to help recovery but it sounds likey ou have something that needs direct attention.

• Like 1

Any recommendations are most welcome! I've only recently just moved to the USA on a marriage visa (the two weeks abroad was our honeymoon!) I'm still awaiting paperwork to make me eligible to work and currently have no medical insurance so a doctor is out for a while, sucks for me :(

Welcome to the USA.

Well for recovery I have found these things to work for me. Keep in mind the things should not cause pain. Lots of self massaging. Make sure to get deep, tight muscles and massage the sore areas. Contrast baths at least once a day, if only once a day then do it before bed. Do light mobility work. Just keep things loose, work the range of motion and maybe do light resistance work to get some fresh blood in the area. I also liked squats, deadlifts, bench etc as they are full body lifts that promote alot of blood flow and recovery. Also maybe look into Animal Flex joint supplement or just some fish oil. Diet is important to recovery of course.

Welcome to the states!

Sort of echoing Daniel here, but I think the best thing you can do for recover is active recovery. Do light extensor work, squeeze a soft rubber ball, maybe even do some light (really light!) pinch work. Dont push yourself here, but greasing the groove can help. Try just picking up a hardcover book by pinching.

Also: daily anti-inflammatories, and tiger balm used with the self-massage. Tiger balm is the best stuff ever. And as a bonus, the ladies like the smell of it.

You might try accupuncture as well. I did a few sessions of accupuncture on a couple of lagging thumb joint issues and it helped tremendously. One was in the Metocarpo-phalangeal joint Right hand thumb from pinching that had been giving me pain for months, The other where the thumb connects into the wrist on my Left hand which was a 15yr old injury from a badly caught 400+ clean in college. Of course it hurt like hell having long ass needles pushed into the joints and everywhere else but the change in pain status and recovery of the issues were pretty immediate. Really glad I didn't choke slam the accupuncturist after that first needle.

Good Luck,

- Aaron

Thanks for the replies!

I'll be buying some tiger balm today, and starting the contrast hand baths too. The thumb still has full mobility- moving it without resistance yields no pain (except the rare occasion when that pulsating pain starts). I'm also going to start sleeping with gloves on to keep it warm over night- hopefully that'll aid in recovery, and just massage it daily here and there :)

• Like 1