Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

Tonight: Finished reading Starting Strength.

Great book, this will revolutionize my training. Highly recommended to anybody who hasn't read it yet.

Now on to the 12-week programming, then 5/3/1.

A little late, but congrats on that 146 bench, Yori!

Tonight: Weighted Pull Ups

Haven't been doing these as regularly as I should between grip training and AW practice which both stress the arms.

Went at it today.

Warm up: BWx5, BWx5, BW+45x2

Working: BW+60x1 BW+70x0 (Missed the very top)

Challenge: BW+45x7 (with one iffy 8th rep, grinded it out though)

Warm down: BWx8, BWx8

Note: although my 1RM seems to have dropped, my reps with 45#s weighted seem to have increased.

Will integrate pull ups into the Starting Strength program I'm doing, so I can get 100#s weighted already.

Not too late, since it's still my current max. :grin:

If it's alright by you and I've improved by the time of the contest, I'd like to try for a max weighted pull up attempt at your comp for the pull up contest you're doing.

My girlfriend's vantage point while holding the camera seems a bit low to be decisive, so would like to have you as a witness.

Not too late, since it's still my current max. :grin:

If it's alright by you and I've improved by the time of the contest, I'd like to try for a max weighted pull up attempt at your comp for the pull up contest you're doing.

My girlfriend's vantage point while holding the camera seems a bit low to be decisive, so would like to have you as a witness.

Absolutely. That's a good idea. Pullups are causing me a little pain, due to the arm wrestling, so I've been doing chinups. I hit a 300 pound chinup yesterday.

Congrats on the 300# chin! That's around 195BW+105 Weight?

I'm shooting for a 100# weighted as well.

Pretty close: with my clothes on I was 200. Total weight was roughly 301. And thank you. And that's just unreal that you are using about the same amount of added weight as I am! So, you're shooting for a 100 chin, not pullup?

Awesome, good to you PRing as well.

You should take a video and join the 300 club.

Right now my best has been 79lbs weighted, but now that I've started training again and am integrating pull ups into starting strength, I have done 7 reps with a plate added; my calculated max seems to be about 90 lbs weighted.

My goal now is to do at least 10 reps with 45, or 1 rep with 100. Which ever comes first.

I'm training pull ups now but will probably use neutral grip china to get the heavy weights.

I would shoot a video but the challenge thread I started was for pullups. Lol. Not sure what I could do on a pullup right now - maybe 80. But I've decided not to train them until they don't hurt my arms. A few weeks of not arm wrestling should do the trick.

Last night: Starting Strength Week 1 Day 1, Squat and DL

Squat

Warm up: 45x5x2, 65x5, 75x3, 95x2

Working: 115x5, 110x5x2

Deadlift

Warm up: (With Fatgripz) 135x5x2, 150x2, 170x0 (Couldn't lift with Fatgripz on. Took them off for remainder)170x3, 190x2

Working: 205x5 (Tired as hell)

Felt good! Hope to consistently add weight to these lifts.

Tonight: Starting Strength Week 1 Day 2, Squat and Bench

Squat

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 80x3, 95x2

Working: 115x5, 115x5 (tired), 115x5 (ground it out!)

Bench

Warm up: 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 85x3, 105x2

Working: 120x5, 120x5, 120x5 (easy), 135x1, 45x5

Note: glad I could increase the weight this time and have it not destroy me. As my bench max is still over my squat, would like to turn that around in the next few weeks.

Reading Dinosaur Training. It's a pretty motivating book and I like this guy's style.

Want to start reading 5/3/1 too, but I'm laying technical books off for the next 12 or so weeks while I do Starting Strength.

Dinosaur Training is the best book on strength out there.

If you look back to around Christmas time in my log, I actually met Brooks Kubik, a couple times. He's an awesome guy.

• Like 1

Check out his blog... Since that book his style has evolved a bit (no pun intended) and he puts a lot more focus on Olympic weightlifting now over powerlifting. A lot of good tips come up in his blog.

That's really cool you've met the guy.

I'll check out your log... Was it this last Christmas?

Will make sure to check out his new blog, mammal training.

• Like 1

Tonight: Starting Strength W1D3, Weighted Pull ups

Warm Up: BWx5, BWx5, +15x5, +20x3, +35x2

Working: +45x5, +45x5, +45x5

Was going to max out in push ups, but gym closed.

Squats and DLs tomorrow.

Tonight: Starting Strength W2D1: Squat and DL

Squat

Warm Up: 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 85x5, 105x2

Working: 125x5, 125x5, 125x5 (My form went to hell when I had to complete this. Still went below parallel but my torso was too far forward.)

Deadlift

Warm Up: 135x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x3, 196x1(Only rep attempted with Fatgripz. New PR! Fought it out and nearly dropped the bar.)

Working: 220x5 (Few seconds of rest between reps. This killed me.)

Note: DO Deadlifted 196#s on the Fatgripz, so this will be my first attempt on the axle to keep it safe. Really want to get 235 on the axle, I'll see how it goes.

Getting stronger, and my squat may be finally better than my bench. I'll see that it keeps improving.

Tomorrow: Show Of Hands Grip Contest VI

Resting up for the weekend in preparation for tomorrow's comp. Planning out some attempts.

Tomorrow: Show Of Hands Grip Contest VI

Resting up for the weekend in preparation for tomorrow's comp. Planning out some attempts.

Good luck!!

3/9/13 Show of Hands 6

Competition was GREAT, especially the PRs and the people I met.

I was in the lightest class with another competitor, and we were able to push each other and get some big lifts in.

Not sure if others take it this way, but the attempts were numeric and strategic as hell.

2HP: First time I've ever seen one in person. First time I tried one. Lifted the implement (66lbs) easily with one hand, but at first struggled to lift 132 with two hands. The pinch is slow to warm up. If I were to do this again, I'd start off higher in weight but still keep it in a safe range.

Grippers: Did the best I could and ground out all I had. GNC150(92lbs) went down easssssyyyy. Then jumped up to Tommy's #2(108) and missed it by a hair. Then dropped to my #2(105) and again missed it by a hair. This was frustrating. Then for my last attempt, I got my RB160(103) and squeezed it shut after a world of struggle. Did all I could in this one and set a joint record with Mike Brown.

Axle: First time trying this one as well. Been practicing my pulls on Manus grips and Fatgripz, and this had me prepared for the lift quite a bit. Went for an easy weight and forgot to wait for the "Down" from the judge. Next lift I pulled 227 and almost let my grip slip. Barely hung on. Tried for 232 for two attempts but let it go a second too early on both counts. I'm looking to improve this lift by a good 70lbs by next year. Set class record.

Hub: This thing was tricky. My left arm is a bit stronger but was a bit in pain from the axle, so I consulted MightyJoe and he gave me the good advice to stay with my stronger hand. Walked in planning to attempt 25lbs on my first lift but realized I could pull into the 40s during warm-up because of Zach Jacobs coaching me. Went for it and eventually got 47lbs, setting a joint record with Mike Brown.

Overall: Mike gave me some stiff competition and our scores were 242.4 and 243.4, with him in the lead with exactly one point. Both of us set 4 records, 3 of them joint and one in the 73k class. SHGC7 will see these lifts from me:

2HP: 175

20mm: 135

Axle: 300

Hub: 65

Special thanks goes to Eric Milfeld, Mighty Joe, Zack Jacobs, and Tommy Jennings, Michael Hann, Mike Brown! And also Eric's son who was scorekeeper but could mash a GHP1. Bright future ahead of him.

3/13/13 Starting Strength W2D2: Squat and Bench

After a few intentionally missed workouts in preparation for Show of Hands, I'm back in the gym.

Squat

Warm-up: 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 90x4, 115x2

Working: 135x5, 135x5, 135x5 (killer)

RT

Few attempts: 87#, right and left in standard and bent wrist. 97#, left only.

Bench

Warm-up: 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 90x3, 115x2

Working: 136x3 (attempted 5), 126x5 (dropped weight), 126x5, 126x3 (attempted 5).

Notes: used Manus grips as usual on the benching, I tried to jump in weight way too much since last time I benched (120 for working sets).

From now on, I'll keep my bench increasing at 5#s at a time, DL at 10 or 15#s, squats at 10#s, and pull ups at 5#s.

Tonight: Starting Strength W2D3, Weighted Pull Ups

Warm up: BWx5, BWx5, +15x5, +22.5x3, +37.5x2(easy)

Working: +47.5x5, +47.5x5, +47.5x5

Hungry.

Today: AW Training

First time AWing for a while, not counting the mini practice after show of hands or practicing for a few minutes with my friend who's in town for SXSW.

Went in tired because I did weighted pull ups yesterday, forgetting I was pulling today.

Went anyways because I wanted to see if I could try anything new.

Hits feel mildly stronger even though I was sore, but only had the stronger guys to pull today. Thankfully they let me practice high hooking and hitting.

Will go in next week with rested arms.

Edited by TentacleGrip

3/9/13 Show of Hands 6

Competition was GREAT, especially the PRs and the people I met.

I was in the lightest class with another competitor, and we were able to push each other and get some big lifts in.

Not sure if others take it this way, but the attempts were numeric and strategic as hell.

2HP: First time I've ever seen one in person. First time I tried one. Lifted the implement (66lbs) easily with one hand, but at first struggled to lift 132 with two hands. The pinch is slow to warm up. If I were to do this again, I'd start off higher in weight but still keep it in a safe range.

Grippers: Did the best I could and ground out all I had. GNC150(92lbs) went down easssssyyyy. Then jumped up to Tommy's #2(108) and missed it by a hair. Then dropped to my #2(105) and again missed it by a hair. This was frustrating. Then for my last attempt, I got my RB160(103) and squeezed it shut after a world of struggle. Did all I could in this one and set a joint record with Mike Brown.

Axle: First time trying this one as well. Been practicing my pulls on Manus grips and Fatgripz, and this had me prepared for the lift quite a bit. Went for an easy weight and forgot to wait for the "Down" from the judge. Next lift I pulled 227 and almost let my grip slip. Barely hung on. Tried for 232 for two attempts but let it go a second too early on both counts. I'm looking to improve this lift by a good 70lbs by next year. Set class record.

Hub: This thing was tricky. My left arm is a bit stronger but was a bit in pain from the axle, so I consulted MightyJoe and he gave me the good advice to stay with my stronger hand. Walked in planning to attempt 25lbs on my first lift but realized I could pull into the 40s during warm-up because of Zach Jacobs coaching me. Went for it and eventually got 47lbs, setting a joint record with Mike Brown.

Overall: Mike gave me some stiff competition and our scores were 242.4 and 243.4, with him in the lead with exactly one point. Both of us set 4 records, 3 of them joint and one in the 73k class. SHGC7 will see these lifts from me:

2HP: 175

20mm: 135

Axle: 300

Hub: 65

Special thanks goes to Eric Milfeld, Mighty Joe, Zack Jacobs, and Tommy Jennings, Michael Hann, Mike Brown! And also Eric's son who was scorekeeper but could mash a GHP1. Bright future ahead of him.

Whoa that's sick hubbing for the first time. That was on an ironmind hub?

Can you pinch two 35s with one hand? It's possible if you could do it at a similar width... if so that's STRONG pinching!