Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

Yesterday: AW Practice

First time in a few weeks for me to be able to AW.

Got there first, and practiced with Jarrod til I burned out in 15 mins.

He taught me a nice way to roll out and grab a pin if I'm in a winning position but struggling to finish. Had a hard time getting it down though, so next time.

Javier (160s, top roller) and Adrian (180s, hooker) showed up, so I rested then pulled with them.

Haven't seen these guys in a month or so, so I was eager to try what I could.

Pulled a few times, and despite being tired, we were all about 50-50 with each other and winning depending on who had the better strategy or who hit faster.

These are the same guys that I was never able to beat half a year ago. Felt good to know that I'm improving.

Some elbow soreness today, but already looking forward to next week.

Tonight: DO Deadlifts

I think I've been training DLs too frequently, many programs I've seen only train them once a week or so.

In relation to the other lifts, it seems to be suited to my form the most. I need to practice bench and squat movements more.

Anyways, here we go.

DO Deadlift

Warm up: 45x10, 65x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5

Working: 155x3, 185x2, 205x1, 225x1, 245x1, 250x0 (couldn't lock out!) 135x5

Tempted to try alternated grip to see if I can max this, although my back limited me I'd be able to concentrate on the lift itself instead of my grip.

Fatgripz will probably be here in a day or two.

Would like to see what my max is there as well.

No, my back wasn't the limiting factor on the double overhand oly. At the time, I was pulling in the low 600s.

With a mixed grip I'm sure you'll get that 250 and probably ten or twenty pounds more. If your grip is even "thinking about failing" your body will automatically hold back a bit.

Are you more of a top roller or a hooker?

Low 600s! Can't wait to get there.

I tend to hook people who are the same size as me, or just a bit bigger.

But since I'm only AWing bigger guys, I toproll a lot against them.

Have you been practicing your high hook?

When I do regular deadlifts I only use an alternated grip. I make sure they do their job and hit my back as hard as possible. Haha. I figure I do enough grip work that DO regular deadlifts would just be counterproductive. Something to consider...

Also, yeah, once a week is generally the norm for deadlifting. When that weight gets heavy, you need some time to recover...

And look how much progress you've made already!

That makes sense, thanks for the input Bobby.

Does the back typically heal slower than everything else? Perhaps I should decrease my deadlifting, but I'm just liking the improvement that comes with it.

That makes sense, thanks for the input Bobby.

Does the back typically heal slower than everything else? Perhaps I should decrease my deadlifting, but I'm just liking the improvement that comes with it.

I don't know if it heals slower exactly on it's own. I think it's more of the case that, sense you can lift more (generally speaking) in this fashion than any other, the muscles in the lower backget hit harder than any other. After that would be the squat and the thighs. It just takes more recovery because the intensity of the lift is higher, not because of something inherent to the muscles used. At least I think so.

Thinking about pressing, I can do that twice a week without issue, but deadlifts or squats can really only be once a week for me. In standing overhead lifts, the stabilizer muscles in the lower body are of course used, but they're not taxed nearly to the extent that they are in the squat or deadlift... Which is why I could always do the deadlift just fine after military pressing, but not the other way around.

Edited by Mephistopholes

I've once read from Mark Rippetoe that the core of the body (at hip level) is the strongest and as you get farther away in both directions, the muscles get comparatively weaker.

In conjunction with that, I've heard Arnold Schwarzenegger say the forearm and calves being multi-purpose stabilizer muscles and healing in the shortest amount of time (12-24 hrs), and generally, the closer in you get to the core, the longer it takes to heal.

Seems like the human body is highly specialized and adapted. Just wanted to share a thought.

• Like 1

I've only practiced the high hook unwittingly, and that was when Michael Hann was showing me a different way to pull. I'm still recovering from that workout 3 weeks ago. Lol. I still feel a little pain in the flexed biceps postion used at the start of the match. So, doing a partial hammer curl, for example, still kind of hurts. But I think I can train again this Saturday. I knew it would take a good long while to adapt.

You guys have made some good points about deadlifting. But for now I would say as long as you are progressing don't fuss too much about your routines. When progress becomes too slow or non-existent you'll have to reconsider rest time, routines, intensity, volume, etc. But, yeah, once is a week is plenty. I progressed from pulling 319 at a body weight of 119 to a pull of 617 at a body weight of 181 doing nothing but a heavy deadlift double every week. I would also do a set of pullups or rows in addition to a heavy set of squats every week.

Interesting side note: squats or deadlifts are nearly interchangeable for a lot of guys. In other words, I could do nothing but one or the other for several months without a significant loss of strength in the lift I wasn't specifically training. As a beginner, though, I doubt this would work out that way, as you are still developing muscle memory.

Eric, you used to weigh 119? I've always figured you were low 200s or so, as many grip guys are. How much do you weigh now?

Thanks for the input, I'll focus more on doing. :)

Also, hope you heal up soon, we can't have you out for months every time you pull! Haha

I know. I'd prefer to pull weekly, and twice a month at a minimum.

I weighed 119 at my first powerlifting meet when I was fouteen years old (I think I was about 5'9"). By my senior year in high school I had bulked up to 165. Right now I'm 195. In my mid twenties I weighed 230 at one point. I've competed all the way down in the 165 weight class at my current height of 6 feet. So, I've always been prone to being a bean pole.

By the way, I didn't mean to suggest you weren't "doing" enough. I just recall that simple, straight-forward training never failed me, and that when you are first starting out any routine will yield gains. It's only after several years of progress that you have to sometimes get creative to coax the gains. Really, I think that progress is attributable to something in the order of 70% attitude. A well designed program performed by someone lacking hunger and enthusiasm is all but worthless, grasshopper. Lol.

Weekly practice is important.

At one point in my training, I was AWing twice a week per MightyJoe's advice but people have a hard time even showing up once a week.

Practicing twice a week was probably when I had the most fun.

At what age did you start lifting? Hope you weren't pulling 300lbs right off the bat with the beanstock shape.

I'm 130lbs@5'9, but this is me bulked up. When I started highschool, I was 90lbs@5'6, and when I graduated I was 115lbs@5'9.
I believe I can still cut to that weight without losing much strength.

I understand, I just meant that my talking seems too much for the amount of work I'm doing.

Agreed that it's easy and fun to make gains in the beginning.

I suspect that once a week is too much for me at the moment, but am hopeful that will change as my tendons start to adapt. Yeah, it is a little frustrating that partners aren't always easy to find. I'm driving an hour each way to train. That's crazy when you consider how big DFW is.

I started when I was thirteen, after losing interest in distance running and feeling a little self conscious about my boney self. I got inspired by reading of Paul Anderson's exploits in The Guinness Book of World Records, and so started with squats, using plastic covered concrete plates in my bedroom. I guess it took me just over a year to beef up to 119 and deadlift 319. My first big milestone of training occurred after a few months when I managed to deadlift two 45 plates on each side of the bar (225). I was real proud of that. Not sure of my weight when I started the summer after eighth grade: maybe 90 pounds.

Man, I bet you're a holy terror on the table for guys your size!

That's an early age to start lifting. I know the feeling of hitting those early PRs, thanks for sharing.

You were tiny as well, did you get bigger from just trying to get stronger, or was that a conscious effort?

Doesn't MightyJoe live around Fort Worth too?

Haha I'm not too terrible on the table. Working on that though.

Tonight: Squat and Bench

These two lifts I've been slacking on. Time to pick up the slack.

Squat

Warm up: 45x10x2 (form practice), 65x5, 95x5

Working: 115x3, 125x3 135x0 (almost!), 45x10

Bench (finding my max)

Warm up: 45x10, 55x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x5, 95x5

Working: 105x5, 115x3, 125x0, 5min rest, 125x1, 135x0, 45x20.

I always trained solely for strength, almost never doing more than five reps, and usually only one heavy set of two reps. But I always ate like I had a tapeworm.

Yes, Joe lives about an hour and a half to the southeast of me. He and his son, Cody, will be competing with us. Right now nineteen guys are slated to compete!

Last night: Fatgripz DO Deadlifts

Got my Fatgripz in the mail from John and wanted to see how deadlifting with them would be different.

My hands are 7.5R/7.75L and both can fit around the FGs unloaded. My left hand can fit around it loaded too.

Warm-up: 45x5, 65x5, 95x5 (this is taxing on the grip!)

Working: 115x3, 135x3, 155x2, 185x1, 205x0 (fail at knee level), took a break, 195x0 (fail at knee again)

Regular DO: 205x1, 215x1, 225x1 (Much harder to do after a fatgripz workout)

Fatgripz again: 185x0, 135x3

The lifts were pretty hard while using the FGs. Felt 185 go up easy though, so I think my true max is somewhere around 190-200. That's about what I expected.

Also, Adam Glass 405lbs Fatgrip deadlift? Really man?! Bad mofo.

I think it'll take a few weeks for my grip to get used to thickbar stuff.

Should do well on the axle, I think 230# is a realistic number for me to pull right now. Right between my DO deadlift and my fatgripz deadlift.

• Like 2

Last night: Fatgripz DO Deadlifts

Got my Fatgripz in the mail from John and wanted to see how deadlifting with them would be different.

My hands are 7.5R/7.75L and both can fit around the FGs unloaded. My left hand can fit around it loaded too.

Warm-up: 45x5, 65x5, 95x5 (this is taxing on the grip!)

Working: 115x3, 135x3, 155x2, 185x1, 205x0 (fail at knee level), took a break, 195x0 (fail at knee again)

Regular DO: 205x1, 215x1, 225x1 (Much harder to do after a fatgripz workout)

Fatgripz again: 185x0, 135x3

The lifts were pretty hard while using the FGs. Felt 185 go up easy though, so I think my true max is somewhere around 190-200. That's about what I expected.

Also, Adam Glass 405lbs Fatgrip deadlift? Really man?! Bad mofo.

I think it'll take a few weeks for my grip to get used to thickbar stuff.

Should do well on the axle, I think 230# is a realistic number for me to pull right now. Right between my DO deadlift and my fatgripz deadlift.

Getting use to thick bars is a really odd thing at first, after some time your hands will get use to the feel of having them in your hand. Personally I never trained thick bar except in the case of the Rolling Thunder, but never really used an axle, the first time I used an axle bar was over at J.T.'s and was able to lift 347 lbs on it.

John, what were you able to pull on the RT?

Since I inherited yours I've been practicing with it pretty often. Hope to get 200lbs one day.

Good luck on training with the RT!

I have a love-hate relationship with that thing. Haha. I love using it, but the way it has always seemed to work for me is I'll make progress, progress, progress, and then all of a sudden, bam!, I fall back like 10lbs. Haha. But Its a fun lift. Just gotta keep at it.

John, what were you able to pull on the RT?

Since I inherited yours I've been practicing with it pretty often. Hope to get 200lbs one day.

The most I was able to attempt on the RT, 153 - 157 lbs. I never trained on it, but if I had set down a plan of action for it, I'm sure 200 plus lbs. would have been lifted.

Good luck on training with the RT!

I have a love-hate relationship with that thing. Haha. I love using it, but the way it has always seemed to work for me is I'll make progress, progress, progress, and then all of a sudden, bam!, I fall back like 10lbs. Haha. But Its a fun lift. Just gotta keep at it.

Thanks man, been peeking at your log, you're getting pretty strong on this implement.

Race ya to 200!

Just kidding this time... :grin:

Haha thanks man. I just took a dip on it, but I feel like I'll work back up there in no time.

Well it'll be interesting to see what you can do with it once you start getting some work in.

Last night: Fatgripz Bench Press

After maxing out at 125#s one week ago, I realized my bench needs lots of work.

Tried using the Fatgripz for extended ROM to see improvement.

Warm-up: 45x10, 65x5, 95x5

Working: 115x5, 125x3, 135x1(PR-easy), 155x0(No FGs, went for too much at once)

Drop: 95x3 while screaming "LIGHT WEIGHT"

Working: 145x1(PR-No FGs), 146(PR-with FGs)

Cool-down: 95x5, 65x10

Got a big PR 20lbs over my max rep last time!

I contribute this to reading the benching chapter in Starting Strength and having learned proper form.

Note: Though I expected the FGs to make the bench harder, it made it a little easier. Felt more control in the bar.

• Like 1

Currently GTG squats because it's lagging a lot compared to my other lifts.

56# front DB squats for 10 reps every time I enter/leave my room.