Ghp Negative Machine

Wade Gillingham

Hey Wade, been eying this for a long time and with Xmas around the corner I'm debating adding this to my list. One question though. I currently have an RB adjustable gripper with an extender handle and currently do negatives that way. How different is doing negatives with this machine vs an extended handle gripper?

The Negative machine is quite a bit different. The biggest differences compared to an extended handle gripper are: 1) you don't have to fight it closed - it's easy to use the other hand to bring the bottom handle up to closed position; 2) the force is constant throughout the full range of motion. Torsion springs or extension springs are harder at the close and easier as they open, so your hand gets a break as it opens you up. With the Negative machine you have a constant load on your fingers all the way from closed to open.

Wade

Thanks Wade. This officially just went on my Christmas list. I'll try and post up a nice video review once I get my hands on it. the loading pin it comes with takes standard plates right?

• 3 months later...

Sorry to inform everyone that we will no longer be producing the GHP Negative Machine. Basically we received some negative publicity by a competitor's father on another forum, and the forum administrator/owner, claiming that I am ripping off Kinney by selling a machine that he invented. Despite efforts to find contact information for Joe Kinney - in particular by asking the people who were bad mouthing me (who claim they talk directly to Joe) - I was not provided contact information to discuss this matter directly with him. It's the same dead end I found when I tried to contact Joe Kinney a few years ago before we started selling the machines. It's unfortunate because the Negative Machine we sold was a great piece at a great price. It's impossible for me to contact Joe Kinney to discuss permission to sell a replica of his original design or to discuss any kind of royalty arrangement, so I'm just getting out of the Negative Machine business.

technically if it isn't trademarked or patented its fair game... but the grip community is not as cutthroat as the mainstream business world

still an immensely ethical and honorable decision wade.. and you made every effort to give kinney the credit for the design

Edited by jvance

Too bad

technically if it isn't trademarked or patented its fair game...

Word!!!!

Too bad you stop selling the negative machines!

I believe I purchased the last 1 (glad I did). What I find interesting is that often those barking the loudest about making money off of others ideas are in fact making money themselves off of those same people, sometimes by over inflating mere mortals into legends. As Wade never claimed to have invented the concept used by this item which in it's self uses a design so simple that giving a patent on it would be crazy, i see the machine as something which HELPED those in the community whom wanted to train negatives using such a device and yet lacked access to the tools or possibly the skill to build such a machine. Yes there is a Kinney approved version out there but most people don't want to be on a waiting list, supply and demand are the cornerstone of business, if the supply does not meet the demand, someone will find a way to do so.

My view may differ from some as I like the idea of open markets which force companies to provide what the customers in the market want or face the financial downfall of not doing so. Almost everything is an evolution of something else. You can't share a design at large, not protect your interest and then believe society will protect your interests for you. I can respect your decision Wade you seem like a stand up guy but I can't respect anyone who would attack a business owner for providing a product their customers wanted which infringes on no patents granted or pending when the originator can't supply the same ease of service or even presence in the community which you have. I understand that some see it as an ethical issue but to me it is no more an ethical issue than selling all types of training equipment which have their origins from someone else. Jack LaLanne sure didn't get a royalty on every smith machine ever sold.

• Like 5

I believe I purchased the last 1 (glad I did). What I find interesting is that often those barking the loudest about making money off of others ideas are in fact making money themselves off of those same people, sometimes by over inflating mere mortals into legends. As Wade never claimed to have invented the concept used by this item which in it's self uses a design so simple that giving a patent on it would be crazy, i see the machine as something which HELPED those in the community whom wanted to train negatives using such a device and yet lacked access to the tools or possibly the skill to build such a machine. Yes there is a Kinney approved version out there but most people don't want to be on a waiting list, supply and demand are the cornerstone of business, if the supply does not meet the demand, someone will find a way to do so.

My view may differ from some as I like the idea of open markets which force companies to provide what the customers in the market want or face the financial downfall of not doing so. Almost everything is an evolution of something else. You can't share a design at large, not protect your interest and then believe society will protect your interests for you. I can respect your decision Wade you seem like a stand up guy but I can't respect anyone who would attack a business owner for providing a product their customers wanted which infringes on no patents granted or pending when the originator can't supply the same ease of service or even presence in the community which you have. I understand that some see it as an ethical issue but to me it is no more an ethical issue than selling all types of training equipment which have their origins from someone else. Jack LaLanne sure didn't get a royalty on every smith machine ever sold.

Thanks for your support.

Sorry to hear this, Wade!

I bought one on my last deployment and it is truly a great machine and it was extremely well-priced!!!

I'm glad that I bought one when I did... I feel that it will take me far. [using for isometrics, not negatives]

• 5 weeks later...

Damn... something I would have liked to purchase for sure. Now I'm stuck trying to recreate as these just don't come up for sale often.

Wade,

This is a great machine and I feel pretty damn lucky to have purchased one when I did. It's a shame you won't be selling them anymore. I was pretty impressed with the build quality and overall feel of the machine. I love training with it!

• 4 weeks later...

Despite efforts to find contact information for Joe Kinney - in particular by asking the people who were bad mouthing me (who claim they talk directly to Joe) - I was not provided contact information to discuss this matter directly with him. It's the same dead end I found when I tried to contact Joe Kinney a few years ago before we started selling the machines.

It's impossible for me to contact Joe Kinney to discuss permission to sell a replica of his original design or to discuss any kind of royalty arrangement, so I'm just getting out of the Negative Machine business.

Wade, this is very sad news despite the fact that I know Joe made a lot of money selling his video AND grip machine (I bought one back in '01), and there was no mention of a copyright/trademark infringement that I know of. He made the machine and offered it for sale. Then from what I understand several years ago, it was no longer being offered for sale. IMO,it's a great training tool for building grip strength and for training on closing the big grippers (#2, #3, etc.). I hope that someday you can resolve this issue and begin re-selling the machine again. As for contacting Mr. Kinney - you might want to contact Dr. Strossen as he might help you with that. Good luck to you... :bow

Or john wood of functionalhandstrength.com Joe Kinney was selling some of those monster grippers on that site