...of Gripgods, Pinchmen And Steelslayers.

anwnate

Welcome back Nate! You can do all you have set out to do. Hope we can get together in the near future.

• Like 1

Glad to see you back around Nate. Sorry to hear about the life troubles. I hope all goes well for you in the upcoming weeks and years. It's great that you're getting some of the fire back. That alone will take you far. Your base grip strength didn't seem to suffer much.

Anyways, take care man.

• Like 1

Dude. You have no idea how happy I was to read that. Its great to have you back man. I'm here if you ever want to train.

• Like 1

Welcome back man! I'm glad that 138 GHP6 you bought from me is getting some use :)

Best of luck with your procedure and recovery. You got this brother!

• Like 1

Goddamn. What a story. I'm not kidding about this, I think about you every time I make a red rating tag. I would always think "What the hell even happened to Nate..?" Now I know! I wish you the best with your training.

• Like 2

Welcome back, Nate.

I'm glad to hear there is at least a game plan in place to give you better health than you've probably experienced in a long time.

• Like 1

I completely missd this, since the last thing I expected was you logging again. You go get better dude. Positive thoughts from here. You took a big bump already.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Grippers

Back one week and I expect to skyrocket...need to keep patient.

I notice my setting power is pretty pathetic.

Pleased I was able to move up one level on both hands though.

May 8th Lefty 142 CoC #3 MMS (1 close)/150 GHP7 SSNx3------Righty 153 CoC #3 MMS (3 close)/175 GHP8 SSNx3

May 1st Lefty 138 GHP6 MMS (1 close)-------Righty 150 CoC #3 (1 close)

Wifey decided we should have grip people over for food and drinks before my heart "procedure." That's in the works.

Added two photos and one poster (left hand side) to my bending corner...compliments of Chris "Haircules" Rider. He sent them last year right before I got sick. Only now found the energy to put them up. Pretty sick wine holder scrolls.

DSCF3206_zpsicl3mtho.jpg

• Like 6

So neat and clean!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nuff said.

IMG_7096_zpsjfvpmbhq.jpg

IMG_7098_zpss4oixsax.jpg

• Like 7

Good to see you back at it, Nate! I have wondered about you. Sorry to hear about your huge troubles!

• Like 1

Glad to see you back Nate. Sorry to hear about all of the troubles. You will get through it and come back stronger!

• Like 1

Grippers

Trying to stay patient.

My setting power is still pretty pathetic.

I should practice setting heavy grippers to get back in shape but I doubt I will.

I have relegated grippers to a far back burner (all other burners are gold oriented).

I'm now of the opinion that the crush on grippers is entirely dissimilar to the grip on a bar...therefore my gripper focus has waned.

That said... I'm still pleased I was able to move up one level on both hands.

May 23rd Lefty 144 CoC #3 MMS (2 close)/155 CoC#3 SSNx2-----Righty 155 CoC #3 MMS (2 close)/175 GHP8 SSNx2

May 8th Lefty 142 CoC #3 MMS (1 close)/150 GHP7 SSNx3------Righty 153 CoC #3 MMS (3 close)/175 GHP8 SSNx3

May 1st Lefty 138 GHP6 MMS (1 close) -------Righty 150 CoC #3 (1 close)

I'd like to get back to top gripper strength (153L/171R) by the end of the year, but won't be upset if it takes longer.

I'm really putting in a minimal effort with them.

• Like 4

Most of my Gold Nail training has little to do with bending.

I have the basic gist down (could always improve here and there of course), so mostly I'm working on getting flexible, stronger, hand conditioning and strengthening my wrists.

However, I figure I should bend now and then to see how I'm doing.

Last week I bent a "P"x 8 3/8" in IMPs in about 12 seconds.

Today the same bend took like 10 hits and about 2 minutes. I think I'm a little worn down. I'll move to a "Q" in IMPs next week...hopefully.

Point of reference...my hardest bend at 8 3/8" ever was a "T" with max padding. I'm only 30 days back and far far from that resistance.

Grippers

Pretty weak today...no visible improvement. Not testing for grippers...just hitting them Saturdays.

May 30th Lefty 144 CoC #3 MMS (1 close)/155 CoC#3 SSNx2-----Righty 155 CoC #3 MMS (1 close)/175 GHP8 SSNx2

May 23rd Lefty 144 CoC #3 MMS (2 close)/155 CoC#3 SSNx2-----Righty 155 CoC #3 MMS (2 close)/175 GHP8 SSNx2

May 1st Lefty 138 GHP6 MMS (1 close) -------Righty 150 CoC #3 (1 close)

Coming back strong Nate! What does SSN stand for?

Hey Tom. Hope to see you in June (PRESSURE!!!!) lol.

Anyway...SSN is essentially a low commitment way at getting better a grippers.

The last time I cut and pasted the "SSN", I was working toward my CoC#3 Cert, so I had an extra workout in the program focused on CCS.

Basically you can remove that part unless you are training for a CCS cert.

Anyway, this program brought me up to lower #3.5's. After that, I've been 10 months out of the game...makin a comeback. :)

SSN...

BTW...Sharkey's coined what I do as "SSN"...not social security number...but "Set, Squeeze, Nudge." It's a pretty freakin simple program...

"When I started I did a lot of things, but I eventually settled on a few things that have worked for me. Unfortunately, a pinky injury has slowed me down quite a bit, (you'll see me on/off with a bandaid since the scar tissue rips open now and then). I've come to a truism that I base my gripper training on. TSG progress is about two things only. Recovery and Overload. (Ok...three things if you want to throw in Set technique practice etc)

1. Recovery: You need to find out your ideal recovery time in between sessions. I highly suggest that you also refrain from a general workout during this recovery...at least once a week. So if you normally take Fri,Sat,Sun off from working out...then do your heavy gripper session on Thursday...so you can benefit the most from your recovery. It is completely true that you can work lighter grippers more often (every 2-3 days or so), but as you progress up...you need more time in between workouts. Most people chasing the #4 can only hit it once every 7-10 days. Anything less is can yield slower progress (I'm not gonna get into the KTA...it's a different ballgame entirely).

2. Overload: I have recently have started closing lower end #3.5's at MMS. I do one "Heavy" workout a week...and focus on my "top end". The other workout, I'm basically using lower grippers 1,1.5,2,2.5,3 to try and get CCS practice in...working for speed...trying to train that particular close(for my #3 Cert). The heavy workout, consists of Forced Closes...but I like to call them "forced closer's". I work with a gripper I can't yet close...say a heavy #3.5. I set it, and go to town. Here's what I do different than other people...I nudge it a little bit closer with my off hand...all the while continuing to try. Generally the gripper will yield a little bit...then...i nudge it again. I continue nudging until it's obvious that I'm done making forward progress. At this point...you attempt to hold it as long as possible...but if you're truly "out of nudges"...then it won't be for more than a few seconds. I don't imagine the entire process takes more than 10-15 seconds. I do about 4-6 of these in a session. Take whatever recovery you want...2 - 10 minutes whatever works for you. I'll sometimes space them out during the day (but it's harder, because you lose the pump and they start aching when you go back to it.)

That's it...if you are doing it right, you really won't be able to do many more than that. It's not very complicated...but there is a little bit of a learning curve. What you'll find is that the next workout...you are closing it a mm closer (or more at first) without any help...then those nudges slowly work closer to closed. Eventually...you'll find that your first and last nudge actually turns it into an official "forced close". At this point...you are not too many sessions from your first close without any nudge help. Remember a couple of things. These are nudges...not "power slams". And the biggest thing is during the entire process...is that you are ACTIVELY trying to close the gripper with your gripper hand. Too many people forget this rather obvious thing...which is why I'm writing it. It's really that important...you are ACTIVELY TRYING TO CLOSE THE GRIPPER THE ENTIRE TIME. This is not a two handed close...the focus is on the gripper hand.

People's brains get in the way of their progress with grippers...they second guess everything they do...and don't have faith in "the process". Almost every grip program that features "consistent action" will get you there...it's just a question about the speed. Our CNS are funny...you have to accept that you won't have a "great workout" or have a PR every time you work grippers (assuming you do it on a rote day...like every Thursday and not some kind of biofeedback testing deal). But...if you "trust in the process", you find yourself nudging to consistent improvement. ..steps off pulpit.

• Like 11

a lot of good information there...thanks...might keep that on the back burner for when I plateau...seems like an excellent way to trick the body without as much torture to the joints as negatives

• Like 1

Never gave a consideration about the what you have written above, I'll have to give it a try in my next gripper workout.

• Like 2