...of Gripgods, Pinchmen And Steelslayers.

anwnate

Back a huge issue today. Had to get up in the middle of the night for a Philly Airport Pickup. Meant a broken (shitty) sleep.

RBOR (70s) 7 total

So...I'm finally there. Where? I'm now at the point where I need to start testing every exercise before going at them. Basically, after a 10+ month layoff, it didn't matter what exercise I did...I tested great for it. I noticed it Wed. with the OHP...and then today with the RBOR's, they weren't gonna happen. So what does this mean? Well, testing from now on...but also means I'm getting pretty close to peak strength again. While I'm not yet benching my 105 DB's, I still find it pretty darn encouraging.

Still wanted to start with a "Pull" so I tested (well) for OAR

OAR (105) 45 total (Pull)

Bending (all single IMPs as usual)

CRUSH (115-125d-1.75")...

7 x "P" 8 3/8" (2 crush hits, 1 gripper crush hit)

Haha...my first "P" was ridiculously hard...and the last was ridiculously easy. Goes to show that CNS rules the roost.

1 x "Q" 8 3/8" (2 crush hits, 2 gripper crush hits) Felt pretty good. Need to make sure I do 2 Q's minimum next week. Baby Steps.

FF (70s) 30 total (Push)

Shrugs (245) 120 total Wanted to blast them today...kept stopping sets before excess effort.

Neck Harness (50) 16 total

• Like 1

Back a huge issue today. Had to get up in the middle of the night for a Philly Airport Pickup. Meant a broken (shitty) sleep.

RBOR (70s) 7 total

So...I'm finally there. Where? I'm now at the point where I need to start testing every exercise before going at them. Basically, after a 10+ month layoff, it didn't matter what exercise I did...I tested great for it. I noticed it Wed. with the OHP...and then today with the RBOR's, they weren't gonna happen. So what does this mean? Well, testing from now on...but also means I'm getting pretty close to peak strength again. While I'm not yet benching my 105 DB's, I still find it pretty darn encouraging.

Still wanted to start with a "Pull" so I tested (well) for OAR

OAR (105) 45 total (Pull)

Bending (all single IMPs as usual)

CRUSH (115-125d-1.75")...

7 x "P" 8 3/8" (2 crush hits, 1 gripper crush hit)

Haha...my first "P" was ridiculously hard...and the last was ridiculously easy. Goes to show that CNS rules the roost.

1 x "Q" 8 3/8" (2 crush hits, 2 gripper crush hits) Felt pretty good. Need to make sure I do 2 Q's minimum next week. Baby Steps.

FF (70s) 30 total (Push)

Shrugs (245) 120 total Wanted to blast them today...kept stopping sets before excess effort.

Neck Harness (50) 16 total

Glad to hear strength is getting close to the peak again Nate! I concur what you say about the CNS. I used to go into my big bends right after a cheap warm-up because I thought a challenging bend beforehand would take strength away...actually the opposite happened. I wouldn't be warm enough for the big bend.

• Like 1

RBOR (DB70s) 39 total (pull)

Bending

At this point, I've got bandaids and electrical tape on both hands. Need the hands to close up and heal. Retearing is slowing my progress.

3 x P 8 3/8" Kink (2 hits each) 95d, 85d, 90d

1 x Q 8 3/8" Kink (10 hits) 10d

All movement came from first hit. I'm definitely doing something wrong.

Re-opened the dime sized tear in left palm (despite a bandaid and tape).

Tore top section of right ring finger (pic below). Not the worst rip in the world...but kind of an odd place for me to tear while bending.

DBBP (85s) 20 total (push)

mms_picture%2019_zpsxhhoxhic.jpg

I think it's time to change things up with the bending. I tested poorly for it, yet went ahead because it was "kink day". For the next few months, I'm going to start testing every single day with the bending and only bend when I get good responses. When I hit on the Q today...I reached for power that just wasn't there. I think bending days like today (can't fight through it) are simply mentally draining and not conducive goal progress.

Heart update. Fell out of rhythm while sleeping Friday night. A minor record for duration. Interestingly and shittily, I awoke feeling absolutely miserable. Later, while walking through Lowes, I nearly passed out twice. Had to squat down to stop the dizziness. I still feel pretty crappy. My shock Doc said something to the effect that my body is getting used to being in rhythm and doesn't like being out anymore. My wife said I always felt crappy out of rhythm but only now can tell the difference. I don't know if either are correct, but I'm not loving my current state. I'll probably be shocked Thurs or Friday. I'll try and adjust my workouts accordingly.

Forward!

• Like 3

I had a brief crappy spell of sickness. horrible resp infection followed by pink eye. after it all cleared up after 3 weeks of clogged up weakness I noticed all kinds of weird things. I guarantee you grew used to the weakness to such a degree that it took extended health to notice it again. Welcome to recovery! now you get to feel every relapse like the weakness is fresh again.

• Like 1

I had a brief crappy spell of sickness. horrible resp infection followed by pink eye. after it all cleared up after 3 weeks of clogged up weakness I noticed all kinds of weird things. I guarantee you grew used to the weakness to such a degree that it took extended health to notice it again. Welcome to recovery! now you get to feel every relapse like the weakness is fresh again.

Haha. Thanks. So looking forward to this! ;)

My wife and i are dealing with the same exact thing now, upper resp infection ,pink eye and cold symptoms. Almost a week now, even used it as a excuse to quit smoking hopefully for good this time.

• Like 1

My wife and i are dealing with the same exact thing now, upper resp infection ,pink eye and cold symptoms. Almost a week now, even used it as a excuse to quit smoking hopefully for good this time.

Man...I sure hope you do. I lost track of how many times it took me. Know that it can be done...just one little fight at a time.

DBBP (85s) 32 total (push)

Tricep Extensions (60s) 36 total

RBOR (DB70s) 42 total (pull)

Red Nail (4 hits) Tested poorly...no more bending today.

Today I was cardioverted again...unfortunately I fell out of rhythm before leaving the hospital.

It's pretty funny how well I know the staff by now. It's a good group...a number of which have celebrity names. My anesthesiologist is a Dr. House. There's also a Jeff Gordon and a (another two famous names I forget at the moment) who I deal with on a regular basis.

They are going to try again tomorrow at 10am.

I've decided to break out the Manus Grips for my dumbbell work for the near future.

MGOAR (85) 45 total (Pull) (need to move up next time)

Bending (single IMPs)

5 x P 8 3/8" Kink (2 hits each) 75d-105d

2 x Q 8 3/8" Kink (4 hits each) 65d, 45d

Pleased about the Q's. Movement was much better and easier than ever in recent memory.

While progress has been slow...it has been pretty steady. This is good...since I only have like 30 P bars left. :)

Re-opened the dime sized tear in left palm...AGAIN! I may have to wash this set of IMPs soon (pretty bloody).

Gonna have to tape left palm next time I kink.

MGRBOR (70s) 18 total (Pull)

Blob Curls (42#) 12 total (felt like working my wrists...and few things do it like blob curls)

MGShrugs (245) 40 total

Heart Stuff

Currently in rhythm from Friday's shock. Talked to my Cardiologist dude. He cleared something up about my crappy feeling lately...said he's got no clue about it but thinks it's unrelated to falling out of rhythm (not sure how I got my wires crossed).

So...newish plan now. If I fall out again before Friday...they will shock one last time, then schedule a new-er procedure on me. I had thought we'd do the Maze procedure, but he wants to do a Topera Rotor procedure instead. They both are done through Catheter, but the Maze burns a grid in the heart and the Rotor one only hit specific sites that are revealed through computer 3d mapping. Anyway...I'm actually looking forward to the procedure since the success rate is pretty darn high for a persistent A-fib. Oh yeah...and apparently I have sleep apnea and have been scaring my wife more and more lately. So...I'm scheduled for a sleep study next Wed. night.

• Like 1

Hope this sorts out for you soon Nate.

Thanks man.

Almost didn't workout today. It was very very borderline. My recovery from Monday was poor. But...

When in doubt...work out!

MGRBOR (70s) 26 total (Pull)

Bending (single IMPs)

Taped Palm...bandaid fingers...no tears today! :)

6 x P 8 3/8" Sweep (1- 2 hits each) 120-125d

2 x Q 8 3/8" Sweep (hits...too many) 120d, 110d

That took way too much out of me. Pecs felt strained...not gonna do a push set today.

MGShrugs (245) 10 total

Neck Harness Front (50) 8 total

Picked up 3 pairs of Fatman Dumbbells (70s,75s,80s) last night. I have a number spoken for, but will offer the remaining ($1/lb...same I paid) after they are blobbed (cut, grinded and weighed).

MGOAR (95) 44 total (Pull)

Bending (single IMPs)

6 x P 8 3/8" Crush (2 crush hits/1 Gripper Crush hit each) all to 1 3/4"

2 x Q 8 3/8" Crush (2 crush hits/2 Gripper Crush hits each) all to 1 3/4"

Q's crushed darn easily...felt pretty good about that.

MGDBBP (70s) 21 total (Push)

MGShrugs (245) 6 total

Neck Harness Forward (50) 6 total

Heart Stuff - still in Rhythm (1 week now)

• Like 1

Nothing to report on the workout end.

Haven't done anything since the 4th.

Hearts been acting up and I decided to give it a rest.

Things progressed downhill until Thursday night...then they got bad.

Woke up yesterday morning in a chaotic rapid A-fib. HR around 135 resting.

Profuse sweating, dizziness, extreme fatigue, nausea, shortness of breath.

Couldn't stand for a prolonged period.

Ended up in the E.R. They ruled out heart failure after chest xray and lack of swelling.

Laid around in a hallway bed for like 9 hours (they were insanely busy). Interestingly Sharkey texted me with a "How's the ticker?" as opposed to a "What's up?". Thought it was appropo and funny.

They eventually cardioverted me at around 8-9pm. Felt much better immediately.

My Cardiologist and I talked pre shock and it was decided we'd proceed to the Rotor Topera Procedure.

Got home at 11pm.

Debating working out on Monday...will take the wait and see approach. I feel so much better now it's bizarre.

Long day bro, stay strong

Rico

• Like 1

Stay strong bro.

Appreciated sir.

Long day bro, stay strong

Rico

Thanks man.

I've been fighting off back pain, a bit of depression and lack of motivation. Felt like I needed to do "something" to break the pattern up.

I wandered into my garage did some light (105lb) straight leg deadlifts. Decided to test for bending.

I tore a nickle-sized hole in my right palm on number 14. All 8 3/8" "P" (single IMPs) kinked to 90d+ (2 hits...occasionally a third).

20150915_091655_zpsbdjfqjzq.jpg

Heart stuff.

I'm now scheduled for surgery on Wed. Oct. 21st. It'll be the rotor topera thingy.

http://www.toperamedical.com/solution/science/

Glad the cardioversions are over.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been sick for a little bit now. Shortness of breath, dizziness, fatigue...you know, heart stuff.

Wanted to try bending. Kinked a "P" two hits = 105deg.

The body didn't like it much. Sat down for like 20min...thinking about what I could do that wasn't all that taxing.

Grippers.

RH QB(183) 3 x SSN (down to 3/16")

LH GHP8 (175) 3 x SSN (down to 1/4")

At this point, I decided FTS...I need to bring my left hand up to speed. It's strong, but the very end of the close is fighting the spring direction and frankly my off hand dexterity. So...I'm gonna do extra work lefty focusing on grinding multiple closes (MMS)...without regrip. LH...

GHP 6 (138) x 3

GHP 6 (135) x 2

GHP 6 (126) x 3

GHP 5 (113) x 3

GHP 5 (109) x 2

GHP 4 (95) x 3

GHP 4 (90) x 4

Definitely felt it in my pinky...and a couple of odd places in my left hand. I've definitely dropped the ball with the left hand...just assuming it would all work out on it's own. Turns out...me directly working on the left is the only thing that's gonna make it work out. I'm not going to be doing much in the way of workouts after the surgery...at least until the New Year. Apparently it'll take a couple of months for the heart to recover...and frankly, I'd like to avoid a repeat performance.

Gripper goals for 2016...

MM0 offhand

MM1 offhand

GHP7 No set dominant

MM2 offhand

CoC#3CCS (150) offhand

GHP8Cert dominant

MM3 dominant

MM4 dominant

Gonna hit grippers once a week...shouldn't get in the way of my bending (well...not that much). But...since I don't approach it like Chez...(passing out lol), grippers don't seem to tax my heart much. I really need something else to work towards. Bending is moving slow...and really affected by my wacky physical fluctuations. Sitting on the bench isn't doing much for my mental state...and working towards any goal, keeps me more level mentally. I'll also hit some light straightleg deadlifts...strictly to keep my back from going out of whack.

• Like 2

Grippers.

RH QB(183) 4 x SSN (down to 1/8")

Note: No.2 and No.3, I closed the gripper from MMS to 1/8"...without a nudge. I don't know how this is possible...but I think I'm actually at a 174-177 (MMS) right handed. Doesn't make sense to me...but I'm not complaining.

LH GHP8 (175) 2 x SSN (down to 1/4"), MM2(166) 2 x SSN (down to 1/4")

(MMS) reps...no regrip allowed...one gripper after the other.

CoC 3 (142) x 1

GHP 6 (138) x 1

GHP 6 (135) x 0

GHP 6 (126) x 5

GHP 5 (113) x 7

GHP 5 (109) x 8

GHP 4 (95) x 9

GHP 4 (90) x 11

Ramping up my left hand work. For me...so much of lefty is how I set it in my hand. I'm having better luck with setting it vertical as opposed to horizontal. If you don't follow...turn you hand palm up...instead of laying the gripper on your palm...place it perpendicular to the palm....then squish (set) and grab. It allows for a different (better imho) grip.

• Like 1

Been feeling crappy since 24th (last cardioversion)...but felt motivated to try some bending today.

Kinked 1 x P (8 3/8") to 95deg (2 hits).

That was it...super nauseous...probably a bad idea. Wracked my brain to think of something less taxing on heart.

Set my Gold Nail Lever on a single jerk box (save my back) then raised weight to top of 3 jerkboxes (like 20" more).

R (32lb) x 26 rep total

L (32lb) x 26 rep total

Will increase weight next time. FYI...made sure attachment was exactly at center of nail.

While taxing on grip...it's much more so on my wrists. My wrists are way too freaking weak to consider bending the Gold.

Surgery...two weeks from today. No more bending til afterwards (at some point).

• Like 1

The way my SSN gripper work has been going, I had a feeling I should video my efforts today.

Rather than put up a questionable video (that I would definitely fail if I was judging), I just grabbed some stills from the vid. Simply put...I would never submit this for MM judging.

That said...this is a 12lb PR for me...

first%20183_zps9hcua0wv.jpg

If I hadn't had this gripper recently rated from CPW...I'd wonder about the rating. My best guess is that it's a combination of increase in strength and the knurling the QuadBand has. I'm also thinking that E.J. is right about that whole bending and gripper strength. Time to start using a higher gripper for SSN.

• Like 8

Holy hell. MM3 time.

Gonna wait for higher closes. I want the mm3 to be a formality, not a gamble.

• Like 2