...of Gripgods, Pinchmen And Steelslayers.

anwnate

So I actually kept normal sinus rhythm since last Friday until about 11:00am yesterday. A-fib came back.

Today at 11a.m. I'm going back in to get knocked and shocked again.

This a.m. my back was out of whack...but I really wanted to get a third workout in this week since I'm gonna be in bed most the day today.

Decided it was time to move the weights up on these exercises.

RBOR (DB60s) 30 total (pull)

CRUSH (120d-1.75")..."P" 8 3/8" x 12 (good volume)

2/3 Flys (60's) 22 total (push)

Shrugs (210) 20 total (back messed up...not even gonna try the trap bar)

1 DU Red Iso (wrist work) no real discomfort, but felt done after one sustained hit

Solid workout...should be good til Monday.

• Like 2

Friday's cardioversion lasted only 15 minutes...sucks. Will give it ago again soon.

Back totally screwed up today. Did some straightleg deadlifts with 115lbs (yes that little) to help things.

RBOR (DB60s) 36 total (pull)

5 x P 8 3/8" Kink (2 hits) all between 60-65

After the first hit, I tested...and tested crappy. Went ahead with it anyway...stubborn.

DBB (85's) 5 total (push). Stopped after this. Heart issue...very weak.

Today was one of those days where I start second guessing whether or not I bit off more than I can chew. Dealing with depression throughout my life has taught me that very often we allow ourselves to make decisions that are based on momentary emotion. So, I am trying to not take my current mood too seriously. I know I can both get out of bed earlier...and train my lower back to keep the pain to a minimum. While I can't change the fact I have a heart condition, I can train around it...and continue to work with my cardiologists and aggressively try to do anything that can be done. Breathe in, breathe out...life goes on. Tomorrow is another day...and another opportunity to improve.

• Like 4

Keep it up big guy

As always...thanks for your support my brother from another mother. :)

This last week I've been feeling particularly shitty. My cardiologist believes it's because I've been spending more time in normal sinus rhythm and my body is starting to reject the A-fib (summing it up). I don't know if I buy that, but I definitely feel like poop. He also told me to basically do nothing until my next cardioversion (Friday).

Since I'm prone to ignore advice from doctor's...right after I woke up...I went down and started Bending.

I bent 2 P's fully before second guessing my decision. Combined it was only like 15 hits or so...but it was enough to leave feeling "not so good."

Hopefully, Friday will go well and I can get back on the horse on Monday.

• Like 1

Friday's cardiovert has held so far. :)

Not Monday, but awoke to the desperate need to do "something". Too stagnant.

RBOR (DB60s) 42 total (pull)

2 x P 8 3/8" Kink (2 hits) both between 60-65

1 x Q 8 3/8" Kink (multiple hits) 12deg

Tore open palm and right index middle section (too much pressure there?).

While there is a nice effort jump between the P and Q...it's nothing like the jump between the S and T. Right now I'm working hard on this puzzle. Putting aside heart and back issues, I suspect I have a hand placement problem...or stopping my hits too soon. The bar is getting hot...just not melting like normal. All in good time I guess.

Partial Pronated Flys (60s) 20 total (leading with elbows)

Bit frustrated today. Need to keep plugging away like the Shoggoth.

Still in rhythm. :)

OAR (90lb) total 38

7 P's 8 3/8" Sweep to 125.

Within a degree or two...all bars ended at 125. Not a coincidence since my knuckles end up connecting at that point.

Most bars were swept to 110-115 on first hit...decided on two hits because of the increased interlock for the crush.

Really need to focus on the Q next week...think I'm stagnating here now.

4 DU Red Iso's (wrist work)

OHP (60's held together) total 4

Had some extra energy so...

Shrugs (210) 40 total

Neck harness 30 total front+rear, 20 total R and L

Today was a good day. Heart wasn't much of an issue til I got to OHP.

Forward progress!

• Like 3

Keep on the path Nate! I respect your resilience and determination.

With everything you have going on health wise the easy thing to do would be to give up. You however choose the opposite. It’s inspiring to see. I enjoy reading your log.

• Like 4

Keep on the path Nate! I respect your resilience and determination.

With everything you have going on health wise the easy thing to do would be to give up. You however choose the opposite. It’s inspiring to see. I enjoy reading your log.

Much appreciated Sean. You are one of a good group of benders I look up to. You guys have been the ones to inspire me.

RBOR (DB60s) 43 total (pull)

CRUSH (125d-1.75")..."P" 8 3/8" x 7

First bar took 4 hits...wasn't feeling it, almost stopped.

Turned out to be a CNS thing.

Bars 4-7 took only 1 interlock hit and 1 gripper crush hit. Much better.

Kink Flys (60's) 33 total (push)

Short workout but I feel I like I got good work from it.

...onward!

P.S. received Gripopedia a few minutes ago. Psyched.

• Like 2

Peeved. Went out of rhythm about an hour ago.

While it beat my record of 6 days by a number of hours...it's a mental drag.

Went to garage. Opened doors...still freakin hot.

Shrugs (210) 40 total

Neck Harness (40) 10 front, 10 back

Done til Monday.

Saw my back in mirror earlier...looks like those kink flys ended up created a pair of spotted bruises on upper back. They don't hurt...but look pretty weird.

When I first hurt my back good periods were when the pain was manageable for a while. then it was periods between bad flair ups. now I have to think back to remember any serious issues. Hard to have perspective during but, at one point, you'll realize you can't remember the last bad spell. Just keep that in mind and take the long view.

Peeved. Went out of rhythm about an hour ago.

While it beat my record of 6 days by a number of hours...it's a mental drag.

• Like 2

When I first hurt my back good periods were when the pain was manageable for a while. then it was periods between bad flair ups. now I have to think back to remember any serious issues. Hard to have perspective during but, at one point, you'll realize you can't remember the last bad spell. Just keep that in mind and take the long view.

Yup. Appreciated Brent.

RBOR (DB60s) 47 total (pull)

3 x P 8 3/8" Kink (2 hits) all to 90d

1 x Q 8 3/8" Kink (multiple hits) 65d

Huge tear in left palm...IMPs a bloody mess. Left ring finger 1st pad tore off again.

OHP (60's held together) 6 total

Shrugs (245) 10 total

Shrugs (210) 20 total (hold at top last one)

Neck Harness Forward (40) 10 total

Was planning on more Q's today but even with a bandaid and ton of electrical tape...the palm bleeding was ridiculous.

Still pleased to be transitioning to Q's...it's been a while.

• Like 1

Took a nap at 6pm yesterday...didn't wake up til 5:30am today (coach daughter in swimming 2xday).

Super fatigued...heart stuff.

Preface... in general my workouts feature a LOT of rest...probably 4-5 times what a normal person takes. I have to let my heart calm down in between sets...or I get super lightheaded and nauseous. Not whining...it is what it is...but just explaining that these workouts can take me 1-1.25 hours to do what others might find super low volume. Still getting beastly strong though. :)

OAR (90) total 47 (95 next week) (pull)

Bending

3 x P x 8 3/8" IMP Sweep 1 hit a piece...all ending at 120-125d.

1 x Q x 8 3/8" IMP Sweep 3 hits (felt weak...heart I think) 120d

FF's (60s) 35 total (push)

{Fraction Flys with kink grip (loving these)}

Can't stress enough how much I think these are helping.

Shrug hold at top (210) 10sec x 2

Heart update.

Cardiologist came up with plan yesterday. We will continue to cardiovert for next two months hoping to establish a pattern of longer duration of sinus rhythm. Failing to do so...he will perform a Maze procedure on my heart.

Basically they go into the heart and burn like a grid in the heart muscle to force the electric signals to follow a controlled path (or a maze). Normally they make a number of incisions in your chest, but my guy says he'll be able to do it completely via catheter. The procedure is extremely effective (85-90%).

Pretty excited about this development. Going into the hospital and being knocked out and shocked every week is getting old already. Knowing there is an end date for the tack we are currently taking is helping me regain my motivation with all this.

• Like 2

Could you explain the fraction flies with kink grip for me? Does it transfer over well to kinking a bar? Looking for general exercises with a bar or dumbbell to help.

Hope you get your heart working efficiently soon!

• Like 1

Could you explain the fraction flies with kink grip for me? Does it transfer over well to kinking a bar? Looking for general exercises with a bar or dumbbell to help.

Hope you get your heart working efficiently soon!

I can't tell you about the transfer since I just started doing them and have been monkeying around with the position. Essentially I have been holding the dumbbells in line with my arms (like you were doing a push up with your fists punching the floor)...at the throat. I then go down/back with my elbows as far as possible...followed by an upward motion like you would on the bar kink. It's a bit awkward and you have to make sure you are NOT resting/levering the hex dumbbell (in my case) against your chest. You also need to make sure the grip with the wrists is very similar to holding a bar.

The weird thing is that I don't feel it at all the first 5 or so(in a set), then the next 5 becomes incredibly bearing. I am going to try this with 70s next week. I really don't know how high I can go with them due to the size of the dumbbells...however...even at 60s it's really isolating my upper back, shoulders and pecs. I was totally burnt after 3.5 sets of 10. Essentially it feels similar to a kink Iso except I'm able to actually move throughout (the range of intended motion). If you play around with the position (and keep the body side of the dumbbell from resting on your chest) you should really feel what I'm talking about. Hope that clears it up.

• Like 2

Feeling kind of crappy but want a workout before today's cardioversion.

RBOR (DB70s) 28 total (pull) - new weight...rhomboids getting powerful

CRUSH (125d-1.75")...

3 x "P" 8 3/8" (1 crush hit, 1 gripper crush hit)

1x "Q" 8 3/8" (3 crush hits, 2 gripper crush hits)

Very weak on the Q...kind of a heart thing...couldn't access power.

OHP (60's) 7 total (push)

Gonna shower and head to hospital.

How did it go with the cardioversion?

How did it go with the cardioversion?

Hmmm. Your post made me go check. I'm out of rhythm...must have happened in the last few hours. This a.m. I was hit with 200 joules(normally it takes 360) and was returned to normal sinus...but apparently it didn't last too long today. Not freaking out about it. The Doc is already committed to doing the Maze if these next 6-8 shocks don't show any promise. Frankly at this point I'm looking forward to the Maze since it's got a pretty darn good success rate (and they can do it via catheter too boot). Onward!

• Like 5

Upward and onward! Keep it going strong brother - love your diligence and positivity - I tried those fraction flies with the kink grip you were talking about the other day and it was killer - definately putting it into regular rotation.

• Like 1

RBOR (DB70s) 35 total (pull)

3 x P 8 3/8" Kink (1 hit each) 90d, 70d 75d

1 x Q 8 3/8" Kink (multiple hits) 24d

Dime sized tear in left palm...ugly mess...chose to stop Q early.

FF (70s) 23 total (push)

Finally decided to pull the trigger on Bill's "Transforming your Physique." I've hemmed and hawed about it since it's fairly restrictive and I wasn't really committed yet. I know Matt's run through this before...I hope to duplicate his results. Anyone who's applied this diet and has tips or advice, it would be appreciated.

I'm about 262 which is probably the most weight my heart can take. Right now...can probably easily drop 30lbs of fat without getting sickly. I'll reevaluate when I get to 230.

I don't care specifically about losing weight as I do about losing the fat. I'm not strong enough to bend Gold yet...and my heart will only take so much weight...so I'm hoping to trade fat weight for muscle weight.

Gonna go downstairs and take the "Before" Pic.

Heart stuff...cardiovert set for Thurs. or Fri.

P.S. I am announcing my intention to provide a "After" Pic down the road...to hold myself accountable. If no one knows I'm attempting to cut...then no one would know if I succeed or fail. I respond better with a little pressure. :)

• Like 2

Fatigued.

Forced myself to get a quickie workout in.

OAR (105) total 35 (pull)

Bending

3 x P x 8 3/8" IMP Sweep 1 hit a piece...all ending at 120-125d.

OHP (60s pressed together) total 8 (push)

RBOR (DB70s) 36 total (pull)

4 x P 8 3/8" Kink (1 hit each) 65d, 90d, 85d,105d

1 x Q 8 3/8" Kink (3 hits) 65d

half dime sized tear in left palm...bloody mess

tore right index middle section half dime sized

Pretty happy with today since I figured out what I was doing wrong with the Q.

I was too choked up on the nail. As soon as I moved more to the ends, it melted fairly well.

I hadn't noticed it on the P since it's simply too weak a bar.

Quit bending earlier than planned due to tears.

FF (70s) 25 total (push)

Neck Harness (50) 12 total

Progress. :)

• Like 1

Today's workout almost didn't happen. I'm a firm believer in listening to the body...but when the decision is close, I lean towards working out rather than not.

I'm a little worn down but pleased I went through with it.

Learned a small tweak of my sweep grip. After assuming sweep position, moving my knuckles about 1/2" towards my elbows kept me from slipping (and hitting myself) and also transferred power much much better into the bar. Kind of weird that I never noticed it before. Since I can't workout and bend as often as I'd like...I might as well pay as much attention to details as I can.

OAR (105) total 40 (pull)

Bending

4 x P x 8 3/8" IMP Sweep 2 hits a piece...all ending at 120-125d.

1 x Q x 8 3/8" IMP Sweep 2 hits 115d (felt kinda weak here...gotta stay patient)

OHP (60's) 2

FF's (70s) 28 total (push)

Shrugs (245) 20 total

Neck Harness (50) 8 total (front)

Heart still in rhythm from Friday's last shock. If I make it to Friday it'll be a new record.