...of Gripgods, Pinchmen And Steelslayers.

anwnate

So I did my basement wanna be workout and decided to try a bend. 

I hit a spiral once and managed MAYBE 5 degrees.  Bahahahahaha!  OMG I'm so pathetic.   What makes it funnier is that I just ordered like 50 Golds and a shit ton of O-1 drillrod up to and beyond U.  I literally laughed out loud at myself looking at a barely kinked easy Red.

Wanting to end on a good note...I put some cordura pieces on the end of a mighty 60d and showed the bastard who was boss!  Ha!  It complied with my folding order in about 2 seconds...allowing me to at least experience something like bending.

I'm glad I got some time to get in shape before the shipments arrive.

• Like 4

Looks like I got my work cut out for me...

15907726133331114249598696812529.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Looks like I got my work cut out for me...

15907726133331114249598696812529.jpg

You are coming back hard! I like it.

On 5/27/2020 at 1:14 PM, anwnate said:

So I did my basement wanna be workout and decided to try a bend. 

I hit a spiral once and managed MAYBE 5 degrees.  Bahahahahaha!  OMG I'm so pathetic.   What makes it funnier is that I just ordered like 50 Golds and a shit ton of O-1 drillrod up to and beyond U.  I literally laughed out loud at myself looking at a barely kinked easy Red.

Wanting to end on a good note...I put some cordura pieces on the end of a mighty 60d and showed the bastard who was boss!  Ha!  It complied with my folding order in about 2 seconds...allowing me to at least experience something like bending.

I'm glad I got some time to get in shape before the shipments arrive.

This is awesome. So glad to see you back at it!

46 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

You are coming back hard! I like it.

Brous family motto: 

"Anything worth doing...is worth overdoing."

:)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

This is awesome. So glad to see you back at it!

Thanks man.  Gonna take it slow and accept small wins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Thanks man.  Gonna take it slow and accept small wins. 

Hey, if it weren’t for small wins I’d have no wins at all. 

• Haha 1

Great to see you back Nate!

• Thanks 1

20200601_125831.thumb.jpg.024c5913ba3088cb320f584c69b0f3c6.jpg

Boom!  First Red back.

I was telling Don that I'm more proud of this pathetic off center bent spiral, than I was about my cert nails.

I'm soooooo out of shape...but it's still a milestone.   :)

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, anwnate said:

20200601_125831.thumb.jpg.024c5913ba3088cb320f584c69b0f3c6.jpg

Boom!  First Red back.

I was telling Don that I'm more proud of this pathetic off center bent spiral, than I was about my cert nails.

I'm soooooo out of shape...but it's still a milestone.   :)

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but what's a spiral red nail versus a regular red nail?  I hear they're harder, but how to do you tell the difference?

Great to see you back! Awesome job on that Red after the time off. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but what's a spiral red nail versus a regular red nail?  I hear they're harder, but how to do you tell the difference?

It is the appearance of the finish of the nail. It isn't visible on that nail because it has some rust but when you first get them out of the box, there is a very obvious spiral pattern wrapping around the surface of the nail. Also, they are not always harder. I remember a few years ago there were spiral reds that were easier than non spirals. I think it all has to do with the batch they come from. 

Edited by FrankD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Ah...spirals were a batch from ironmind that were significantly easier.  I dont remember exactly but probably rated like 50-75lbs lighter.

They call them spirals due to the line that wrapped around them.  20200601_140649.thumb.jpg.0a63267dd37de74e7ec36258ee759eb9.jpg

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, FrankD said:

It is the appearance of the finish of the nail. It isn't visible on that nail because it has some rust but when you first get them out of the box, there is a very obvious spiral pattern wrapping around the surface of the nail. Also, they are not always harder. I remember a few years ago there were spiral reds that were easier than non spirals. I think it all has to do with the batch they come from. 

52 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Ah...spirals were a batch from ironmind that were significantly easier.  I dont remember exactly but probably rated like 50-75lbs lighter.

They call them spirals due to the line that wrapped around them.  20200601_140649.thumb.jpg.0a63267dd37de74e7ec36258ee759eb9.jpg

That explains it! Thank you. It's much more clear with the side by side comparison. I had just heard the terms thrown around and didn't know what they meant.

Progress.

20200602_124015.thumb.jpg.089c1856534984e700b937491e34c86b.jpg

They are still harder than they should be (though I flashed one in 6seconds).  I'm gonna keep up with Reds and Bastards (and min wrap 60ds) for hand conditioning, but am going to transition to 8 3/8" starting tomorrow. 

Post workout, I'll outline my training plan and goals also...and will welcome suggestions/additions.

• Like 6

So…where to begin?  I have a goal I'd like to share.  Why?  Camaraderie?  Advice?  Glutton for punishment?  All the above I think.

I'd like to cert the IM Gold Nail during my 50th year on this planet.  One…that gives me like 2.5 years and Two…that’s pretty cool for an "old guy" and might inspire people.

Going back to the Princess Bride…(cause everything does).

liabilities.thumb.JPG.799f52c6bffd2f7f3a46d705d20dedfe.JPG

"What are our liabilities?"

I've got a bad back.  Like…when it goes out, I can barely stand up…let alone close a IM Trainer Gripper.  Anyone with a bad back understands.  Those who don't will rarely get how debilitating a bad back can be.

I'm soon to turn 48yo.  Recovery is NOT like it was 9 years ago when I discovered grip and bending.  Basically I need to program everything very very carefully…so I don't end up hurting myself, or wasting a ton of time trying to train and make gains when I'm not recovered.

I'm too weak to bend the Gold.  I mean…I'm WAY TOO WEAK to bend the Gold.  Back when I was at my strongest, I managed to bend a "T" of O-1 Drill Rod @ 8 3/8".  It was a million miles from a Cert bend, but it happened…slowly…with leathers.  But that was at my strongest…and still a level or two below Gold.

I have heart issues.  After several surgeries, they decided to install a pacemaker/defibrillator in my chest.  The incidental contact while DO bending, is kinda unpleasant.  I need to figure a work around on this one.  Also…I'm pretty sure I need them to adjust my top end bpm when I get to tougher steel.  I already have weird heart related exhaustion that sets in during strenuous effort.

assests.JPG.121db8c43f1851f02c364cfe7810f694.JPG

"And our assets?"

I was a decent DO bender.  Not quite "Elite,"  but definitely decent.  Having started back up already, it's coming back faster than I expected.  I'm big (6'4" 265lbs), with good sized mitts…doesn't hurt.  Not having to start from scratch is a powerful asset.

I have plenty of steel/equipment.  I've had times where I was scratching and clawing my way around, but now I'm in a good place in life.  I've got enough equipment to work out and enough steel to work my way up to the Gold (and beyond).  I like using 0-1 Drill Rod to work my way up the 8 3/8" ladder.

I'm sober.  I haven't had any alcohol in over a year.  I'm absolutely not making a statement against drinking.  I'm pointing out that drinking can get in the way of recovery (among other things) and that for me, I'll reach my goal quicker without it.  My family motto is "Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing."  In the past…I generously applied this to drinking.

I'm Mental.  Basically…I got issues.  I believe that a number of grip/bending guys do.  I'm not sure exactly what the draw is, but grip/bending seems to fill a need that we have in our lives.  That said, there are some benefits to being "a little off."  I’m able to hyper-focus on something with extreme diligence, shortening the path to a goal.  I'm also can be quite dogged about goals set.

I have access to some of the best benders of the world.  Where?  Here...duh.

All in all, I definitely have set a difficult task ahead of me.  However, I'm not dissuaded at all.  I think I will appreciate it all the more…and I do hope to inspire some new bender with my success.

How to get there?  My technique is "pretty good," but will get better with bending.  So let's ignore that for the moment.  I need to focus on three things.

Hand conditioning.

I put hand conditioning first…because in the past, I found my hands can take quite a lot…and frankly become tough as crap(for bending).  So until I find a reason to change my mind…I'm gonna train them every day.  Sort of grease the groove if you will.

Back improvement

I'm gonna train my back 5 times a week…but not with weights.  Deadlifts and squats are great, but I no longer want to go that way, so I'm going to be hitting it with BW Squats (possibly added dumbbell weight), Glute Bridges, and Planks.

Added Strength

I will mostly be using Dumbbells for my workouts.  Pretty much all upper body (sad I know).  I also will also do "Gold Nail Upright Rows."  Imagine a loading pin with weight with a clipped rope that goes up to the center of a Gold Nail with IMPs on.  Grab the bar and pull to shoulder height…repeat.  Really hits the bending muscles.  The very max I can lift is 3 times a week.  I have also noticed that with some exercises, I can only hit once a week now.  So Monday, Wednesday, Friday are my official "Strength" days.  I've been hitting the protein pretty hard this last month.  My recommended muscle gain allowance is something like 265 grams…which ain't easy to get without shakes.  Anyway…I've actually lost about 5 lbs while visibly reshaping some.  Gotta stay patient, stay the course.

Here's my basic workout week.

Monday

Hand slaps (concrete floor)

Lighter nails (Reds, Bastards…eventually P,Q,R,S 8 3/8" all in IMPs)

Glute Bridges

Dumbbell Bench

Heavy OAR (one arm rows)

GNUR (Gold Nail Upright Rows)

Shrugs

Hand slaps

Rubber Mallet to knuckles

60d's in min wraps

Tuesday

Bodyweight Squats

Planks

Hand slaps

60d's in min wraps

Wednesday

Glute Bridges

Heavy nail work @ 8 3/8"

OHP (over head press lying on bench)

Biceps

Hand slaps

60d's in min wraps

Thursday

Bodyweight Squats

Planks

Hand slaps

60d's in min wraps

Friday

Glute Bridges

Dumbbell Bench

Heavy OAR (one arm rows)

GNUR (Gold Nail Upright Rows)

Shrugs

Hand slaps

60d's in min wraps

Saturday

Sunday

Since you made it this far.  Here's a pic of my Gold Nail Goal Station.   No worries about the empty Gold bin...I have a shit ton of Golds, Reds and Bastards on the way.

station.thumb.jpg.bee93bb224e337ea274808c2066098fc.jpg

Edited by anwnate
  • Like 9

Awesome goal Nate! I am excited to follow your journey to the Gold! Great to see you back at it!

• Thanks 1

Looks like a solid plan. I also look forward to following this. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Awesome goal Nate! I am excited to follow your journey to the Gold! Great to see you back at it!

5 hours ago, KRC said:

Looks great Nate, looking forward to following.

3 hours ago, FrankD said:

Looks like a solid plan. I also look forward to following this. 

Thanks guys.  I forgot to mention I do sledge work as a finisher on fridays.  Gives me 4 days before hitting heavy steel again.

Today...

BW squats, planks, hand slaps, rubber mallet knuckles. 

Couldn't even kink a Red...my body is so beat up from yesterday's efforts (weak results on 8 3/8" drill rod).  I settled for some minwrap 60ds and G5s.  Mentally...its important that I melt some steel each day, regardless its strength.   It reconfirms my dedication to this goal.

• Like 2

Solid workout.  Definitely making progress.  I worked a little bending in and failed to move a Red or bastard.  Not that I didnt try...

20200605_102546.thumb.jpg.9869fe299631ca898a1baf206cde5080.jpg

Afterwards, I bent some minwrap 60ds just to say I bent something...and earned my first tiny knuckle tear since returning. Frankly I'm surprised it took this long.  I'm kind of perversely proud of it.  I know that improvements follow these tears.  :)

20200605_123335.thumb.jpg.275b7fa373009b898fb61f0217c8958e.jpg

Edited by anwnate
  • Like 8

Good luck Nate! 

• Thanks 1

Had a good workout today.   Doing other stuff right now and muscles are shaking a little.

Still weak with bending so I concentrated on more conditioning.  This is what I mean by 60d minwraps. 

20200608_135321.thumb.jpg.3a239f9f1d18fe2b94788f5e8512af1d.jpg

I smoothed some ends and was going to go wrapless, but I (chickened out) errr... thoughtfully decided against it today.

All and all, the hand conditioning is going well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Had a good workout today.   Doing other stuff right now and muscles are shaking a little.

Still weak with bending so I concentrated on more conditioning.  This is what I mean by 60d minwraps. 

20200608_135321.thumb.jpg.3a239f9f1d18fe2b94788f5e8512af1d.jpg

I smoothed some ends and was going to go wrapless, but I (chickened out) errr... thoughtfully decided against it today.

All and all, the hand conditioning is going well.

I love those wraps!

• Thanks 1

Today's workout was a roller coaster of emotions.

Intellectually, we all know we can't improve in straight lines etc...but emotionally, it's hard to separate our desires from reality.

I started with concrete hand slaps and rubber mallet to the knuckles.  Seems to be a good warm up for me.

I did some back exercises and held some planks (holy hell my stomach is weak shit).  My shaking made me realize that my lack of sleep is catching up with me a little.

Bending...

I started with a min wrap 60d, followed by a Red in IMPs.  Since it's Wednesday (longer bar day), I went ahead and grabbed a "P" bar 8 3/8".

Slapped IMPs on it and...it went Nowhere.  My brain went to that dark place.  I felt like I was wasting my time.  Why was I bothering with any of this?  Etc Etc.

So...I went ahead and slapped my hands on the concrete for the length of a song.  It bought me some time to think...while doing something positive toward my goal.

During this time...I decided I'd just kink that bar in leathers, then transition to IMPs for the rest.

Doing this simple thing really turned my workout around.  Leathers helped me melt it easily.  I think I literally moved it to 40deg in one hit.  Finished it in IMPs relatively easily.

I'm not 100% sure what this told me.  I know I"m worn down...but I also know I've far to go to get back to top form. 

Leathers provide a SIGNIFICANT advantage.  Yes they protect my hands(which are beat up)...but more so, they provide leverage on the bar.

Either way, it pleased me to melt the fckr.  I need to accept small wins...any forward motion.

20200610_101355.thumb.jpg.efe7a746f8691f39e930defe5806ba36.jpg

After I did my dumbbell and sledge work...I got my bending buddies out so they could cheer me on from now on.  Scroll down for pics.  Big thanks to @JHenze646

sj4_bending_buddy_paint.thumb.jpg.07659f4d240f303f791b847499089834.jpg

bending_buddy_paint.thumb.jpg.c45fcc40e710cb03413f547c799df139.jpg

20200610_100150.thumb.jpg.eeba286d7595a89785a76ccf1072691c.jpg

• Like 6