...of Gripgods, Pinchmen And Steelslayers.

anwnate

Warning:  zero training content...just an update from last month.

So it's been like 2 weeks since my last shock.  The adjustments they made with my meds seem to be paying off.  

I have been taking it super easy.  Last time I did anything significant (built a crapload of shelves for the basement), my heart was screwed up for days.  Ugggh.

My Garage Gym is in complete disarray...as is my future basement gym.  Here's a pic of part of the Garage.

garage.png

Anyway.  If I haven't got it moved, I'm gonna ask for some help on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Little do the grip guys coming over know I'm gonna put em to work (insert evil laugh).  There's easily 2000lbs of horse stall mats and plywood that needs moving...plus all my weights and blobs (second evil laugh).

I've been focused on losing weight and taking it easy.  I'm down to 249 from 275 last month.  

There's a reasonable chance I'll slip down to the 105kg by Gripmas.  That's not really my goal, but it's well within the realm of possibilities.

So...pretty much no training at the moment.  I was lucky enough to acquire a lighter GHP8.  It is my intent to use it for training the cert...but not actually certing with it.  I happen to have the exact "average" GHP8 (175CPW)...and want to use that one to cert.  However, having a lighter one that is designed the same should help in getting there.  I haven't given up bending...but want to add a second goal to the mix. 

My goal for Gripmas is two fold.  Enjoy myself and the camaraderie of others who share my passion...and get a baseline of where I am that day.  I don't quite remember the last contest I actually competed in (maybe NCGC 1?).  Frustrating, but it is what it is.

So...I'm looking forward to Gripmas.  Got a little surprise up my sleeve.  I'll be going with my partner in crime again (Mr. Cottrell).

So...to sum up.  No training at the moment.  Dropping 20% of my weight (for heart)...and will reevaluate then.  Staying optimistic. 

• Like 8

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with this. If you need my help (moving stuff etc.), let me know and I'll be there. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, @Anton.Torrella, @Anthony C., @Chez and @Matthew Hunt came over and kicked some ass for me.

For 3 hours they picked up my garage gym and moved it lock, stock and barrell...up and over, around and the down to the new basement gym.

With the heart in "shit-shape" right now, they literally saved me WEEKS of work.  They wifey can actually park her car in the garage for the first time since moving in.  Should come in handy when it snows.

Anyway...the wifey cooked up a pretty badass Thanksgiving day meal for everyone.  I'll never be able to physically repay these gripsters for stepping up and doing what I can't at the moment.  Hopefully they will take the meal as a partial proxy. :) 

So...while there is a TON of work to do still to get the new gym ship shape...it's now actually possible.  Plus...working on all this in the warmth will keep my back in better shape.  Speaking of which...my back is toast today.  I don't envy the back of those 4 grip saviors I mentioned above.

So...another huge step to SJ4 was taken yesterday.  It's gonna be ridiculous.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Uggggh.  So the very same company that we hired to do our "home study"...ended up talking the birth mother of "our" baby into using them to place the child (as opposed to us). This was an odd set of circumstances that happened through different heads of a hydra company...not communicating with each other.

Long story short...no baby.  Maureen was devastated...and I'm keenly disappointed.  I could go into the details of the legalities of what happened, but it won't change anything.

We are going to proceed with all the necessary items for an adoption (and there are quite a few), so we will be ready if we are lucky enough to find another child.  UGGGGGGH!!!

In more Grippy news... @Matthew Hunt will be swinging by next Thursday to help put the basement gym together.  My heart has been out of whack and so I've been able to do precious little with it these last few weeks.  There is a rumor that @EJ Livesey will be in town next Monday...so amid Christmas cheer, I might put him to work also. ;)

I had tagged on a DHWOG order Cottrell made recently...so I finally have an official Horne top shallow hub to expand my hub collection.  Also got a bunch of half penny training tools to give away as door prizes at SJ4.  

I hope to start feeling better soon so I can include some actual "grip work."

• Like 4

@anwnate not next week, the following week 1/2/17, that's if you're around. 

• Like 2

Aw Nate, I'm very sorry to hear your adoption (and health) news!  That is rotten.  I hope you both are pleasantly surprised in 2017 with some great news. 

• 1 month later...

Heart's been out of whack still.  Zero training to report...not even grippers. :(

I am losing weight though.  Gone Ketogenic.  Lost 32lbs so far...down to like 243.  So far so good.

Cottrell's Courier Service (1 out of 5 stars) ;) finally delivered the package he received in early December. 

Turns out...Mr. @JHenze646 had sent me a badass care package.

20170207_141624.jpg

Turns out...the small shield looking object is used for flat finger strength.

Rich and I thought it looked a little like a miniature Hussafel Stone.

It can be loaded for plate curls, tricep pushdowns, rows, pullups, lat work...nearly anything.

Super solid, smooth, nice finish.  Josh your work is really coming along nicely.  Thanks a ton!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

I don't think I will use that shipping option again...

Hope you get your health squared away.

You could file for a 100% refund for ever dollar spent;)

nice kitchen Than

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

20170501_085244.jpgCleaning garage gym.  Turns out I accumulated more steel over the years than I knew.  This is going to take forever to identify and file.

20170501_085036.jpg

• Like 8

Absolute blast last saturday guys - just being in the same room together created prs - Matt mid-air transfered that baby inch! After lifting it like 20 times! Anthony hub-threw a 35 plate over his shoulder! Jose tore a pack of plastic-coated cards! I had an eggroll pr by eating three in a row! If nate would have poured out that pile of steel pictured above I think my hands would have fallen off before I left - same partys going down in july except literally x10! Wooooo!

• Like 4

Yeaaaah awesome time with you guys! Thank you to Nate for always being the excellent host.

Trying to get this tendonitis cleared up so I can actually do something reputable at the contest lol.

• Like 3

@anwnate Remind me to bring over my MM3 / MM4 replica for the wall of grippers.. I'll also return the gripper you allowed me to borrow. I think I have a Tetting T8 laying around somewhere as well...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Alright.  So I had another grip-together last night.

Ostensibly...it was to introduce two SJ4 contestants to "GripSport."

While @Matthew Hunt and I did just that...it was more like "Showtime...at the Brous House Gym." (check this out @Jedd Johnson)

Steve Nichols (AW friend of @Lucasraymond) unbelievably lives about 25 minutes south of me.  He has 8 7/8" hands and his forearms look like Popeye's.  I think @Eric Roussin may have actually competed against him in some sledgehammer straight out hold thing at a contest.  With Lucas...he had picked up the INCH on the first try.  Mine is still on loan so he couldn't do that last night...so he kept busy with other feats.

Anyway...while I literally lost track of how many feats this guy did, here are a few highlights I remember.  Pinched...Blob50, Henze 51.1 scale weight (from sharp side), a pair of 35's (easily), 35 on the stub lift and the Iron Grip Monster.  He also made a 210 Rolling thunder lift look boring.  To round out the CTD, we made him pull 55 on the IM hub and do a CCS on the #2.  After he no set closed it...I put away the credit card swipe.  Here's a pic for those people in SJ4's 105kg division.  Look out!

steveIGM.JPG

Next up was Matt Kraenbring.  (His bud, Matt Hunt finally talked him into checking out grip.)  He also lives 25 min away in the other direction.  How freakin cool is that?  HIs hands are basically the same as mine (8 3/8-1/2)...just much stronger.  He literally pulled the IGM his first try...so easily he dropped it like a hot potato out of surprise.  Subsequent lifts had holds.  He managed this with both hands.  SJ4 peeps...he's gonna be competing at 120kgs.  Nearly tit for tat, he matched Steve's lifts...and he has no Grip or AW experience.  Looks like we have another strong serviceman (Army) in the Grip House.  @shakenbake, @Sapper88.

mattIGM.JPG

Matt Hunt managed to PR on my loadable INCH (formally the 53kg circus bell) with 147.1.  Not quite a full lift...but the dude was pretty shot by this point.  I have a feeling he's going to beat met to the INCH...which btw may be enough to get me to start training it. ;) Watch out Matt.  Myself...I was only hopping a blob50 and doing little lifts.  Pretty much weak as a kitten, I still had a killer time.  I LOVE my new 365day gym.  Time to start using it.  The guys are talking about coming by once a week...and also introducing more peeps to Grip.  Way cool.  If you are ever in South Jersey...gotta hit me up.  Thanks for reading.  Here's Matt's best lift he got on vid.

hunt1471.JPG

• Like 7

Last night was intense... @anwnate and I were so blown away, we didn't grab enough footage of the grip destruction! These guys are scary.. period. I'm getting Matt prepped as best I can for SJ4, so we will see some great battles on the platform 💪. 

Here are some more stills from last night. Again, I'm pissed I do not have more footage of Matt killing it. Good news is, we have plenty of training nights at Nate's house to get it all on video. 

IMG_4351.PNG

Edited by Matthew Hunt
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided I am definitely going to compete at King Kong.  

When I say definitely...I mean if I'm bedridden, I'll hold a comp in the hospital and slide off the bed to perform all my lifts. :) 

Stronger to weaker areas?

Stub...decent...some recent training...(hope to be excellent by Oct).

Crusher...mediocre...nearly no training...(hope to be excellent by Oct).

Flask...pretty sucky...literally have avoided training this...(hope to be excellent by Oct).

2"Vbar...Unknown...never trained it...(hope to be excellent by Oct).

As you can see...there is a lot of "hope" involved.  But...I think that's a great thing.  

Last night, I messed with grippers for the first time in forever.  

I surprised myself with a 142CPW#3 offhand MMS Close...and a 162CPW MMS Close.  It's kind of unnatural really.  With such a long layoff (19 months)...I don't understand why I am not weaker with them.  Why ask why?  Just start training for that darn MM3 dammit!

Although KK has no grippers, for the first time in a long time...I'm excited to start training for a comp. :) 

• Like 12

Thats awesome retention for not training grippers in 19 months - glad to hear it!

• Like 1

Wow dude that's a sick off hand close, 162 !? Very nice. Grippers are probably the most strange implements of all. It makes no sense that you describe your other lifts for grip as mediocre at the moment while you still are so strong with grippers. What is it with these things we call 'hands'?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geralt said:

Wow dude that's a sick off hand close, 162 !? Very nice. Grippers are probably the most strange implements of all. It makes no sense that you describe your other lifts for grip as mediocre at the moment while you still are so strong with grippers. What is it with these things we call 'hands'?  

Off hand was the 142.  Sry if I was unclear man.  The 162 was my dominant hand...about 21 off of my best mms close.

I describe my grips as mediocre, but I am able to lift the blob50...with a lot of warmup...and barely hub an easy plate.  So mediocre is relative.  But these used to be mindless lifts for me...and now are my total top end.  Yeah...the CNS is funny.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

SJ4 brought a bunch of NEAR Manna-Nuff lifts...but only one full lift and lockout.

In fact...it was complete domination.  Gil Goodman joins some freaking stellar company...becoming the 6th man to lift the 88.1lb drop weight.

gil mannanuff.jpg

Congrats @Squeezus...you've been added to the wall (currently a 4x6 but will be replaced with a 5x7 in the near future).

gil company man.jpg

• Like 2