...of Gripgods, Pinchmen And Steelslayers.

anwnate

Damn dude, that sucks. Well at least you got a nice notch on the belt with the Red cert so rest is probably long over due. Chez and I will try and pick up the slack in the mean time. Don't rest up too long, I might be bending 3/8" Gold Nails one handed and closing the #4 with just my pinky by the time you get back.

Didn't like reading that post. We need you back training and representing NY grip. Take 1-2 weeks off and let your body heal and then come back and only give 80% in your workouts. I never give 100% in my workouts because that will wear you down. Work hard in the workouts but hold back a little.

I'd have to go back and look at my log to be sure but..... i think I once took about 6 months off and then after a month of training PR'd at a comp in almost everything. time off is not necessarily going to knock your edge off as bad as you might think.

Damn dude! Ok I've not been reading this log for a few days and than this. I'd strongly suggest following Chez's advice...ah well.

You know your body the best. I'm sorry to hear this, but it could be a wise decision, maybe I should have done that also for a month or two. Just been reading my logs over the time a few days back and I'm surprised in how little results I've got over time. Sometimes always pushing it hard just doesn't work.

I hope you've made the right choice and that you come back stronger! Heal up buddy.

Sucks to hear that, but I understand where you're coming from. You can't go 100 miles per hour all the time and expect not to get beat up physically and mentally. You've kicked total ass over the past many months and even certed the red. Enjoy the time spent doing other things and you'll come back when you're ready with a renewed enthusiasm.

I know what you mean Nate. Recharge your batteries bro. You'll know when you're ready to come back. I wouldnt put a time frame on the rest. That doesnt work. You'll know when the time is right. Just like Brent said, I bet you PR like crazy after a proper break. I ALWAYS come back stronger. It may take a week or two but it always happens. So never fear the rest. Enjoy it. Ask Wojo, he had some big gripper PRs after alot of rest in that department.

• 7 months later...

Great write up Nate! It was awesome seeing you in action, big things ahead for you!

• Like 1

Great write up. Its like 50 Shades of Grey for guys,

PR's on everything. Interesting, I wonder why :whistel

Did you try any Inch type stuff?

• Like 1

Great write up. Its like 50 Shades of Grey for guys,

PR's on everything. Interesting, I wonder why :whistel

Did you try any Inch type stuff?

Not really. I vaguely remember giving it a pull, but I was pretty shot at that point. Even fresh I'm not ready for it...but that will change. :)

Thanks guys.

Awesome write up! Wish I had been there!

Me too. I would have been just as happy with 5th. ;)

Cool story Nathan. I really enjoyed reading this. Lots of PR's. Well deserved.

• Like 1

Great writeup Nate! You're a gifted gripster & writer... very cool my friend! !

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

...and here...a few years later....this log is dusted off.....

I hereby state that I, Geralt Hulshof and Nathaniel Brous will be busting our asses coming 8 weeks on grippers to call in the IM#3 cert on the 26th of June. By liking this we are committed to do so.

Nathan, regardless the outcome I really appreciate your heads up and motivation man. Cheers!

• Like 2

...and here...a few years later....this log is dusted off.....

I hereby state that I, Geralt Hulshof and Nathaniel Brous will be busting our asses coming 8 weeks on grippers to call in the IM#3 cert on the 26th of June. By liking this we are committed to do so.

Nathan, regardless the outcome I really appreciate your heads up and motivation man. Cheers!

Liked!

Your home gym looks like the happening place! Enjoyed the write-up.

• Like 1

Great competition & write-up Nate! Gotta make it up there soon!!

• Like 1

Awesome work by Wojo also... beastly sir!!!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

My fellow Gripgods, Pinchmen and Steelslayers…

About ten months ago,(just after certifying on the 3) I went into heart failure . This was the third time since I was 23yo (now 42yo). I had worked many hours on my new house and basically didn't take care of myself for several months. My energy and strength plummeted. I even had to ask for help moving furniture as I was no longer able to do so myself (thanks again Chezmonster). At my worst, I was sleeping around a total of 18 hours a day. Getting up and taking a shower was taxing and going up stairs would make me sit down to recover.

During my heart recovery, I became quite sedentary. The lack of exercise caused my back to go out again and was followed up by a umbilical hernia. Eventually my weight ballooned to 272, which didn't exactly help my heart function. On top of this shit, I spiraled into a deep depression that I'm only now coming out of. I rid myself of social media and relationships in order to deal with this on my own. My lovely gym has gone unused…collecting cardboard, garbage and extra furniture. This is not okay. J

On June 24th I'm going to have an Ablation done on my heart. Basically they send tubes up the veins in your legs and burn out certain circuits of the heart to attempt to get it to beat in normal rhythm. I've had dilated cardio myopathy for 19 years now and have been in A-fib the whole time. IF…they can get me into normal rhythm, there is a decent chance the enlarged chambers of my heart will shrink, which will of course lead to feeling a heck of a lot better…and get me off a number of pills. The Cardiologist has assured me that it will likely take multiple ablation procedures to be successful and frankly success itself isn't exactly guaranteed. They pretty much have no ablation data on patients who have been in A-fib as long as I have. However, I'm clinging to whatever hope there is.

I literally have done no training since going into heart failure, but today I tried out my grippers. My top end…I managed a 138 GHP6 (MMS) lefty and a 150 CoC3 (MMS) righty. I was actually surprised it wasn't worse. I have decided to commit myself to both the GHP8 and CoC#3.5 certs. I'd like to get both done by (May 1, 2017), but realize that bodies have their own ideas about when and how they improve. These two certs are well within my capability (as in…my heart won't get in the way of grippers).

The Gold Nail Cert however…is a different story. While training for it…my heart definitely got in the way. As anyone who as attempted big steel will attest…you need longer sustained efforts to get big steel moving. Currently my heart is simply too weak to even train for it. IF the ablation is ultimately successful, I will dive heart and soul back into. I've already got the steel, the weights and the gameplan…just need the heart to get on board. Besides the grippers…I'm not really making any plans for contests or training other events. I'm taking baby steps right now. It's been a long road to get back to this point…gonna take it slow and steady.

I have to take a moment to thank the people who reached out to me during this. You guys know who you are…and please know it was appreciated.

Time to resurrect the training log (if only with grippers for the moment).

• Like 11

Welcome back and I wish you the best in your journey.

• Like 1