...of Gripgods, Pinchmen And Steelslayers.

anwnate

So, while my grip journey started 4/25/11 upon receiving my first CoC #1, I’m finally taking the plunge into the Training Log. My name is Nathaniel. I do short general workouts and multifurcated Crush on Mon./Thurs. I do Pinch/Misc on Tues./Wed. I’m slowly working in Support as my body allows. I have so many ridiculously sick goals, I won’t bother to humor you. Just take a sip of coffee and spit it on your keyboard. Done deal.

Fezzik: You just wiggled your finger! That's wonderful!
Westley: I've always been a quick healer. What are our liabilities?

Hmmm. Liabilities…yeah best mention them right off. A heart condition (DCM). A chronic lower back problem. Multiple meniscus tears in both knees. A damaged good hand (Right) pinky(8 more weeks healing probably necessary). 40yo.

Westley: And our assets?

40yo. Goal oriented. Fluidity. Pigheadedness. Oh yeah…hands nearly as large as Jedd’s.

Fezzik: Inigo?
Inigo: What?
Fezzik: I hope we win.

10/1/12

(All grippers considered closed unless listed as a miss)

25 Leg lifts crunch finish…legs off bench
1 TNS Filed #2 L + R(3 finger)
9 DB Bench (85x2 with Manus Grips)

1 CCS #2.5(125) L + R(3 finger)
16 DB Flys (40x2)

1 TNS King Kong L + R(3 finger miss2mm)
22 DB Shrugs (105x2)

1 20mm Set #3 L (PR) + R(3 finger miss 3/8”)
8 DB Squats (50x2 rest on shoulders)

CRUSH (done throughout day)
1 #3.5 forced closed/fight L + R(3finger)

• Like 5

Crazy guy. Good to see you are keeping a training log here. Good luck in achieving your goals.

Nice you're going a log. They are really nice to revert to when looking for patterns in PR spurts and for something neat to look back on at moments of achievement of anniversaries.

be careful with all those negatives. they can chew you up.

a log can be a really useful tool. the feedback from other can be very useful, especially when you train alone.

Why no Princess Bride references when you were up here? Absolute Bull - Prepare to Die.

Crazy guy. Good to see you are keeping a training log here. Good luck in achieving your goals.

Thanks man, back at you.

Nice that you started a log as well.

Thank you sir.

Nice you're going a log. They are really nice to revert to when looking for patterns in PR spurts and for something neat to look back on at moments of achievement of anniversaries.

Good points. Thanks.

be careful with all those negatives. they can chew you up.

a log can be a really useful tool. the feedback from other can be very useful, especially when you train alone.

Thanks for the looking out. Repeat thanks for your help at WSH.

Why no Princess Bride references when you were up here? Absolute Bull - Prepare to Die.

Stop saying that!!!

10/2/12

PINCH

Hand switch between each lift. Entire WO done without breaks besides catching breath.

IDL (Inverted Dumbbell Lift)

PA (Pop Assist = Tap with off hand to assist with breaking ground and establishing momentum, then following through with lift and controlling descent with single hand to simulate near full range of motion of lift as possible. I don’t know what others call it. I like my name so I use it.)

(All lifts are assumed full range unless noted)

Blob 50 L 3-----R 5

PA L 20-----R 20

IDL Hex 55 L 4-----R 0 (Hex brutal on my pinky)

PA L7-----R 0

IM Hub 55 L 0----- R 0

PA L12-----R12

Hex 60 L (Iso 10sec)-----R 0

Tues. Secret Ninja WO :ninja:

The PA is like the slightest version of a negative, so much I don't think you can say it is a negative. Pop assist it is.

Good, quick workout. Looks like major thumb pumpage.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

10/02/12

PINCH

(1HP consists of 25x2+magweights until I grab some 35's)

(2HP consists of superghettofab 2" PVC covered with cloth medical tape, two 45's in the middle, clamps and added weights)

(WR Wrist Roller consists of 2" PVC over metal pipe with rope threaded through middle...set 5' high in doorframe)

1HP

R50 L50

R55 L55

R60 L60

R65 L65

R70 LFail

RFail

Hula 60

R30 L14+16

Very sweaty. I lost control on #14. I'm directly over concrete. I managed to save my magweight(magnets are brittle), but landed the plate on right toe sheering into the last 1/8 of nail. Sock instantly soaked with blood. Wrapped a bunch of kleenex around it, sucked it up and finished the last 16. Insane forearm pump!

2HP

120, 130---ripped off thick callous on left thumb (probably shot from hula). Stopped 2HP effort like a little girly girl.

WR

105 2 minutes all out sprint...focusing strictly on effort not reps.

when I pinched 230 I was only using 2x45 and a piece of pvc pipe. no reason at all for that to hold you back.

(2HP consists of superghettofab 2" PVC covered with cloth medical tape, two 45's in the middle, clamps and added weights)

• Like 1

when I pinched 230 I was only using 2x45 and a piece of pvc pipe. no reason at all for that to hold you back.

Hopefully my description of my apparatus did not immediately impart a reason for my wussiness. I find it very encouraging that real weight can be pulled with such a setup. Thanks Brent!

10/4/12

(General WO +V2 block day)

(All V2 considered closed unless listed as a miss)

25 Leg lift crunch finish...legs off bench

V2 Level 6 Triple (CCS, 1.5", 1") L + R(3finger)

Curls

Strict DB

L40x1 R40x1

L50x1 R50x1

L60x1 R60x1

L70x1(cheat) R70x1(cheat)

L65x1(cheat) R65x1(cheat)

L85x2(Neg.) R85x2(Neg.)

Strict Plate Curls

L25x4 R25x4

Standing Front Raise (DB25x2) x5

V2 Level 7 Triple (CCS, 1.5", 1") L + R(3finger)

DB Pullovers (50x2 held together) x 8

V2 Level 8 Triple (CCS, 1.5", 1") L + R(3finger)

DB One Arm Rows

L105 8+2 R105 5+3

V2 Level 9 Triple (CCS, 1.5", 1") L + R(3finger)

DB Squats (dumbbells on shoulders)

(60x2)x3, (50x2)x5

CRUSH (singles)

V2 Level 10 L 1" R(3finger) 1"

V2 Level 11 L 1" R(3finger) 1"

V2 Level 12 L 1" R(3finger) 1"

V2 Level 13 L 1"(miss) Deep Set Closed R(3finger) 1"(miss) Deep Set Closed

10/8/12

Today’s GWO(general workout) was one of those where I just felt “off.” I slept poorly and had to work through some minor back and shoulder pain. I do single sets only…but today I had to break several up to “catch my breath.” Lots of quick Lactic Acid build up for some reason.

(All grippers considered closed unless listed as a miss)

1 TNS Filed #2 L + R(3 finger)

9 (5+4) DB Bench (85x2 with Manus Grips)

1 CCS #2.5(125) L + R(3 finger)

16 (12+4) DB Flys (40x2)

1 TNS King Kong L(Miss 1/8") + R(3 finger miss 1/8")

19 DB Shrugs (105x2)

1 1" Block Set #3 L(Miss 1/8") + R(3 finger miss 1/8”) (PR)

20 (6+2+4+3+3+2) DB Squats (50x2 rest on shoulders)

If anyone is curious, my legs are impressively weak because I was very sedentary from 23yo(heart)-38yo. I pretty much sat behind a computer. During that time I was twice hospitalized due to heart failure. At 40 I literally am the healthiest I have been in the last 17 years.

I have made a commitment to increase intensity with squatting…however this is somewhat tempered by the reality of my liabilities (back, knees…especially heart). I don’t want to someday disappear from the Gripboard forever because I did something too inadvisable for someone in my position. I’m walking a fine and possibly dangerous line…but I believe I can do more…so I am cautiously exploring my new boundaries.

CRUSH (done throughout day)

1 1" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R(3 finger miss 1/8")

1 1" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R(3 finger miss 1/8")

1 1" Block Set GHP#7 L (Miss 1/4") + R(3 finger miss 1/16")

1 1" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R(3 finger) CLOSE (PR) woot!

1 1" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R(3 finger miss 1/4")

Today's squatting really destroyed me (yeah I'm that weak in the legs right now). It would have been nice but pointless to have taped the 3finger #3 close as my pinky almost totally obscured even my view. Perhaps when get stronger I'll be able to move my pinky aside.

I have made a commitment to increase intensity with squatting…however this is somewhat tempered by the reality of my liabilities (back, knees…especially heart). I don’t want to someday disappear from the Gripboard forever because I did something too inadvisable for someone in my position. I’m walking a fine and possibly dangerous line…but I believe I can do more…so I am cautiously exploring my new boundaries.

That's awesome! I know you'll be very thoughtful in your approach.

• Like 1

10/9/12

PINCH

Woke up feeling like I was hit by a Mac Truck. Apparently squatting beyond what your body naturally agrees on is quite taxing (yes, even at baby weights).

(All lifts are assumed full range unless noted...non lockouts are not counted)

Blob 50 L 0-----R1 (No idea why I barely broke ground today)

PA L 22 (held at top for 1-3 one-one thousand counts)-----R 22 (held at top for 2-5 one-thousand counts)

IMHUB L 55 x 2, 50x1, 45 (hold at top for 10sec) x2 ------R 55 x 2, 50x1, 45 (hold at top for 10sec) x2

Hex 60 L (Iso 10sec)x2 -----R 0

Tuesday's Super Secret Ninja Exercises :ninja:

10/10/12

PINCH

(1HP consists of 25x2+magweights until I grab some 35's)

BTW...I have heard it said that there is a special place in hell for those people on Craigslist who agree to sell it to you for the price they asked, tell you to call a couple of hours later for directions (when they get home from work) and when you do, find out they sold it to someone else. I'm not sure about all that...but I feel like a kid who got his Xmas present stolen.

(WR Wrist Roller consists of 2" PVC over metal pipe with rope threaded through middle...set 5' high in doorframe)

1HP

R50x3 L50x3

R55 L55

R60 L60

R65 L65

R70 L70(Fail)

R75(Fail)

Hula 65 R=Clockwise L=CounterClockwise

R5 + L5

R5 + L5

R5 + L5

2HP

120x2

125x2

130x2---small tear right thumb. Stopped 2HP effort like a little girly girl.

WR

105 2 minutes all out sprint...focusing strictly on effort not reps.

10/11/12

(General WO +V2 block day)

(All V2 +TSG considered closed unless listed as a miss)

V2 Level 6 Triple (CCS, 1.5", 1") L + R(3finger)

Curls

Strict DB

L40x1 R40x1

L50x1 R50x1

L60x1 R60x1

L65x1(cheat) R65x1(cheat)

L85x2(Neg.) R85x2(Neg.)

Strict Plate Curls

L30x1 R30x1

L25x5 R25x4

Standing Front Raise (DB25x2) x5

V2 Level 7 Triple (CCS, 1.5", 1") L + R(3finger)

DB Pullovers (50x2 held together) x 6+2

V2 Level 8 Triple (CCS, 1.5", 1") L + R(3finger)

DB One Arm Rows

L105 10 R105 4

Right Pinky feeling pretty good, gonna try pressure on it and some MM0 vids today

CoC#3 1" Block Set L (1/4" miss) x3 singles no rest R (1/16" miss) x3 singles no rest

(55x2) x 6+4+3+3+2+2

CRUSH (singles throughout day)

1 1 1/2" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R(miss 1/8")

1 1 1/2" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R (vid fail...close off camera, very shaky with wider sets)

1 1 1/2" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R (close/vid fail)

1 1 1/2" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R(miss 3/16)

1 1 1/2" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R (miss 1/8)

1 1" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R

1 1" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R (miss 1/16)

1 1" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R(miss 1/8)

1 1" Block Set #3 L (Miss 1/4") + R (miss 1/16)

1 1" Block Set #3 L (Miss 3/8") + R

1 1" Block Set #3 L (Miss 3/8") + R

There was no grinding going on today...my right pinky is pretty weak...and unfortunately it's very sore now.

Oh well. Gonna go through and ship a few unlisted vids tonight. Hopefully one of them makes the grade.

Tri-state Grip Collective meeting on Sunday morning. My numbers are telling me I'm pretty worn down, so I'm taking Mon-Wed off to give some extra recovery time (of course I'm still gonna do Squats).

How NOT to Cert your MM0,

Since there is a bunch of gripsters out there in the 2-2.5# zone, I thought I share my first shot with a MM0 Cert so maybe you can avoid my "red" fate.

First. Do not use a block. It "obscures the set distance" and is unnecessary with mash monster.

Second. Do not film from above as it "basically makes it impossible to tell" whether or not it is closed.

Third. Get the handles closer to the camera, showing the handles touching.

Forth (and most importantly). This isn't about or not you close the gripper (which I did in both videos), this is about whether or not you caught the close on video strongly enough not to leave doubts in the judges minds. Basically make sure you provide the judges with better material to work with than I did.

Without further ado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZBWoE7v1Yk&feature=plcp

Here is a still frame from 35sec.

capturemm0close1.jpg

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtA2Zd1qStA&feature=plcp

Here is a still from from 30.

capturemm0close2stillfr.jpg

For further help on how to Cert your MM0... Heath Sexton wrote a primer on Capturing Video. It can be found here. http://www.gripboard...?showtopic=8040

live and learn. Filming is an art by itself, let alone something as complicated as a gripper close. I don't have a knack for it and absolutely hating videoing gripper closes. We all fail certs at some point. Pretty strong of you to be using 1" blocks. That's a good level above MMS. You got that cert with a good vid bro.

• Like 1

Nice closes man.....I got red lighted too on my first MM0 submission for similar reasons....no worries....they were solid closes, you just have to change the camera angle and lose the setting block. It took some time experimenting with lighting and camera angles to where I'm no longer concerned whether I could get a good close on video or not.

• Like 1

I do think the camera work is the hardest part of the cert. between lighting, angle, keeping your other hand out of the way. shadows and glare are a problem.

that was strong though. take a week and get it again with a bit better camera work and you'll have it. also, maybe try a bit less light, there was a lot of glare on the bevels at the end which doesn't help. I experimented with my lighting and was surprised by how much I had to cut back.

• Like 1

I got an HD flip camera. You can try at my place tomorrow when you come train. I always have someone video my cert attempts for me so I don't have to worry about keeping the gripper in frame. The person working the camera has to worry about that :)

• Like 1

10a.m. Tristate Grip Collective Workout. Arm wrestler/newish grip addict Brian (Matrix Sleeper) attended. Nice guy…strong future. Wojo kicked ass one handed. Chez frelling bent his first Red Nail start to finish. A good day indeed.

Pretty pleased with grippers. Failed to capture MM0 video but repped the #3 3 separate times (PR). Was going to shoot for April CoC #3 cert, but may push up things up depending on progress. Right pinky not quite healed yet…pressure is still painful…maybe at 65-70% strength (estimated of course).

(most misses forced closed) (lifts considered successful unless noted)

TSG

#S TNS L + R

#1 TNS L + R

#2 TNS L + R

GHP#5 TNS L + R

#3 (¾”Set) L(miss ¼) + R(miss ¼)

#3 (¾”Set) L(miss ¼) + R closed

#3 (¾”Set) L(miss ¼)x2 + R 2reps (missed 3rd by 1/16) (PR)

Went outside too MM0 Cert. Missed twice by 1/16 ish

#3 (¾”Set) L(miss ¼)x2 + R (2reps missed 3rd by 1/16)

#3 (¾”Set) L(miss ¼)x2 + R (2reps missed 3rd by 1/16)

#3 (¾”Set) L(miss ¼) + R(miss ¼)

King Kong L (miss badly) + R (miss ¼)

Rolling Thunder

R 150x1 + L 150 (Fail to lockout)

Axle

115x6

165x2

215x2

235x1

257x1

273x ½ (1/2 up…fail to finish lift)

2HP

80x1

110x1

121x1

130x1

140x1

143x1(Fail)

Unknown Exercise (Handwriting Fail…will have to look at Wojo,Chez,MS’s logs)

83 Lx3 Rx3

108 Lx2 Rx2

133 Lx1 Rx1(Fail)

1?? Lx1 Rx2

FBBC Cannon 8#

L 60 + R 60

IM Pinch Block

L 48 + R 48

L Fail + R 55, 61, 65(Fail)

Sledgehammer Weaver Coin Lift

#6 Left (failed had to choke), Right good lift

#8 Right (failed had to choke at least 7”)

Sledgehammer Face Lever

#6 L + R

#8 L + R

#10 L + R

1”Vbar

100 L + R

150 L + R

Loadable Blob

26.5 L + R

34 L + R

36.5 L + R

41 L (Fail) + R (Fail)

½ 100 hex block

a couple of inches of air with both hands several hands (no real lift threats)

20+ serious attempts (didn’t count)

IM Hub

36 L + R

41 L(Fail) + R

42 L(Fail) + R

• Like 1

25 Leg Lifts crunch finish...legs off bench.

(Stopped each time at failure, caught breath.)

(55x2)x20 (6+5+4+3+2) Making progress...albeit slowly. Body screaming for recovery...particularly thumbs. Off until Thursday.