• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• macaz

• Cannon

• hellswindstaff

• Shoggoth

Joe Kinney... what a perfect name......

totally the swedish troll

why do everybody say something about a swedish troll ???

Because you make yourself look like Simon Norevi when you talk on here, I don't care if it is you or if you're a different person, but if your here just to troll, I say get the **** out of here. If you started this thread looking for information it didn't turn out that way, and it's has snowballed into something completely pointless. A few good things have been made but this thread isn't something that hasn't been done before from what I understand.

Edited by John McCarter

Matt, outstanding points earlier in the topic. Kinney is a very creative man and was on a mission. I've never seen the documentary, but from what I've gathered, what he said or did in some sort of reenactment for another man's camera after his official close has led to these closeable topics.

I've seen a picture of his hand in the COC book; it looked like Jonathan Vogt's hand does now. In fact, look at all the #4 closers' hands; Kinney had one of those. Negatives with an extended handle are very effective, but they can damage them as well. Use carefully, with patience.

Closeable, thank you for this very entertaining topic. See what I did there? I said the opposite of what I think, which is what you did when you started this with seemingly good intentions. It was funny though. Thank you, not really, thanks.

• Like 1

You mean you don't know the story??!?

Legend has it that Joe Kinney once traveled to the mountains of Sweden. Seeking shelter from the night, he encountered a dark cave. With his incredibly handsome mustache, his firm glutes flexing in his wrangler jeans, and his God-like iron grip, Joe braved the depths of the cavern. Inside he came face to face with a monsterous Troll. The two titans did battle and Joe defeated the Troll with his hands of steel. He showed the beast mercy and let him live. After Joe left the Troll went on the internet and joined all the grip forums to preach the word of the perfect man, Joe the King of Trolls Kinney.

• Like 3

I was told by Joe himself that the move that defeated the troll was a near fatal "Purple Nurple" AKA the titty twister.

• Like 5

I was told by Joe himself that the move that defeated the troll was a near fatal "Purple Nurple" AKA the titty twister.

HAHA! TBH I wouldn't want to be around ANY of the more advanced members on this board, on saint pattys day

Oh man....I bet he could give one hell of a titty twister in his day. Just tear the whole area right off.

San Francisco penal code does not allow The Claw into strip clubs due to the critical care of an employee that received severe glute deformation. The Claw hereby challenges Mr. Joe to a dual of thumbs to the death*.

* death is defined as the first person either to tap out or pee pants from a submission tickle hold.

• Like 3

Yes, but there is still some controversy on whether he used his right or left hand when administering the (near fatal) Purple Nurple.

It's the unintentional loose ends like this that cause these problems. . . . .

The monkey is back.

• Like 1

The monkey is back.

Only Silverback is missing. I love him very much. :sick:

• Like 1

You mean you don't know the story??!?

Legend has it that Joe Kinney once traveled to the mountains of Sweden. Seeking shelter from the night, he encountered a dark cave. With his incredibly handsome mustache, his firm glutes flexing in his wrangler jeans, and his God-like iron grip, Joe braved the depths of the cavern. Inside he came face to face with a monsterous Troll. The two titans did battle and Joe defeated the Troll with his hands of steel. He showed the beast mercy and let him live. After Joe left the Troll went on the internet and joined all the grip forums to preach the word of the perfect man, Joe the King of Trolls Kinney.

That's pretty funny! :)

The monkey is back.

Only Silverback is missing. I love him very much. :sick:

The-River-Monkey-1328717019.gif

• Like 5

Some people think it was a man in a monkey suit but what if it was a monkey........ Oh dear.

• Like 2

Where on earth did you get a gif like that? Yikes! I guess Google really can find anything!

You will not get a proper answer for this.

In the video he almost no set closes a #4 in pretty much slow motion, then starts grinding the handles together. Nor i or anybody else can tell you for sure if it is legit or not but i can say i have no set closed RB330 (about 3.75 on coc scale) and i would struggle to do what he did with a #3.

Summary - he would have had to have trained on for several years after he actually closed the gripper to get to that level. Not to mention being a massive amount ahead of anybody (including the strongest men in history) even many years later. To add to this, his training techniques are very questionable to say the least. To me personally it doesn't make enough sense to be legit.

Kim Wood has claimed numerous times (often on the IM forum) that he had several guys on his football team close the #4 with no set and no chalk. We can only assume they did all this while grip training was not even their top priority. So with this in mind, what Joe did would not have been a massive amount ahead of anyone else.

Now, take that with a grain of salt. Personally I dont believe this claim by Wood due to the following: People overall much stronger than almost all football players AND who dedicate much more time and energy to grip are not even close to no set closing #4s without chalk. I just dont see anyone, especially 20-30 years ago just casually closing #4 (and thats basically what a TNS no chalk would be for them if they did set it even moderately and used chalk) without being a Magnus Samuelsson or someone who dedicated absolutely their entire life to grip (like a kinney)

Another reason I doubt the claim is that if one football strength coach had several #4 closers, that means there must have been dozens of capable closers throughout the NFL league during those years (unless only the Bangal players were that strong- very unlikely, as they were not even a standout team to say the least). Again, football players are strong, sure, but certainly no stronger than pro armwrestlers, powerlifters, olympic athletes (lifting, shot put etc) strong men etc- but none of these have come close to shutting the #4 in the manner described.

Now that Ive gone full circle though, for those that take Wood at his word, this would put Kinney's ability much more into perspective I guess. He wouldnt be far ahead at all, but just the first recognized closers of many who had done it in private.

I would be interested to hear what people think of Wood's claim, especially Randall Strossen. Were "several" of Woods players (most of whom could not even be considered elite NFL players) making a mockery of your #4, while today, 30 years later, the strongest men in the world, much stronger than those players from the 70s-80s, still struggle with anything over the #3.5, and come no where close to TNS with no chalk of #4s with grip not even being their priority.

I wont address the Kinney issue, as most of us know its pointless until any new facts are revealed, rather than speculation.

I wasn't there, never saw it, so I consulted with TEDS who said, "Start by deciding whether you think it's definitely true, definitely false or you're not sure."

I went for not sure—remember, I wasn't there, so definitely yes would seem like too taking much on faith especially for an evidence-driven crowd (take that as a compliment).

Why not a definite no?

These were really elite athletes—guys who are not wired the way I am, or probably most people reading this thread. Some of them might have done manual labor at some point in their lives and they in all likelihood had lifted weights for years (even if they did weenie machine stuff for part of that time :), at least some of it was probably with real weights), and here's the most important part of all: Kim Wood had these guys doing grip work like a maniac. Kim Wood was an IronMind customer from our earliest days and he bought all our grip stuff, and that included grippers by the handful. About 20 years ago, Kim told me how he had a bucket or a box or something filled with IronMind grippers that his players passed around as they were watching films—are you going to tell me that these guys weren't having some fun crushing the snot out of these grippers and also seeing who was the strongest? And they didn't have both the genes and the means to deliver big time results?

Remember: extraordinary talent, a culture of strength and a focus on the hands is the world these guys lived in.

So, what's the bottom line: did they or didn't they?

I'd have to go with what Steve Komito used to say, "It's a definite maybe."

I heard that in a past lift, Joe Kinney stabbed Leviathan in the stomach with his fingers and ate from it. In his past life with slayed hundreds and they played trumpets to warn you that his fingers were coming.