Ways To Bust Through Gripper Plateaus

gm1swm

so, you go quite heavy then? for a TTK anyway? do you open up all the way or only to about your pinch thickness?

8-10# is what I've been using. I do open the TTK all the way to it resting between each rep.

With lighter grippers (#3 and under) I can train weekly, but with training #3.5 and above I have found I can only train every other week. I do not train max effort but am approaching 90%. With gripper rgc I have been using a percentage based approach with my training:

5x5 @ 75%,

6x4 @ 80%,

7x3 @ 85%,

5x2 @ 90%

I've been using ccs sets and am experiencing good strength as long as I go with a week off in between. My assistance grip exercises are TTK, grip machine reps and wrist roller.

How often do you adjust your 1RM, Andrew?

I'll adjust it 5# each cycle, unless I miss reps (not full closes) and then I will repeat the cycle until all sets and reps are done solid. Currently working off a 210# max and I'll be repeating my current cycle due to some missed reps on 7x3 week. MM ladder gripper attempts have interrupted my rest and I perform best with rest; Juha and Adam Glass amaze me with their day to day work loads. I'm excited with my current gripper training, but admit it is hard to wait 2 weeks between training sometimes. However, know I get a chance to ccs a 192# gripper in a couple of weeks is exciting and then giving a legitimate at some big grippers makes it worth it.

So if I understand this right, you do 5 x 5 75% one workout, than rest for that week and the coming week, than 6 x 4 80% one workout, rest for that week and coming week...and so on?

That is correct. Assistance work is added in after the percentage work. My forearms and hands are usually pumped and about worthless after the training.

• Like 1

When I tried to peak with grippers back in 2009, I came to a conclusion that lack of wrist strength held me back. I had the closing power peaked for 200 lbs + grippers. But the puzzle was not complete. I am not sure if you can understand this, but I felt my wrist just was not up to the pressure of maintaining a proper wrist extension angle while setting #4's. I felt as if nervous system was putting the brakes on when I tried. Sort of like "hey dude you are going to break your wrist if I allow you to close that gripper, so I am shutting down your forearm muscles". This was the case with my right hand I was so close to closing #4's with. As for left hand, wrist strength was also an issue as setting those hard grippers required too much effort and time. So this time now that I am making a new run for it, I'll make sure these same weaknesses will not hold me back. I feel the end range closing strength is quite easy to train and for me it is just a matter of getting back what I had. That combined with stronger wrists I guarantee you will see some #4 closes from me.

I am not sure if anyone else might have similar issues or not but I think proper wrist strength is as crucial to big gripper closes as having a strong core for any total body lifts, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

• Like 4

Thumb on top, fingers on bottom, TTK on hip level desk and keeping my elbow in line with the TTK. 4 sets of 5 (r/l) smooth reps, trying to feel my weak point. I can shoot video if you'd like.

I usually prefer to use both hands at the same time, with fingers on top and thumbs on bottom. Preferably with the TTK somewhere around chest level and with the hand side elevated.

When I tried to peak with grippers back in 2009, I came to a conclusion that lack of wrist strength held me back. I had the closing power peaked for 200 lbs + grippers. But the puzzle was not complete. I am not sure if you can understand this, but I felt my wrist just was not up to the pressure of maintaining a proper wrist extension angle while setting #4's. I felt as if nervous system was putting the brakes on when I tried. Sort of like "hey dude you are going to break your wrist if I allow you to close that gripper, so I am shutting down your forearm muscles". This was the case with my right hand I was so close to closing #4's with. As for left hand, wrist strength was also an issue as setting those hard grippers required too much effort and time. So this time now that I am making a new run for it, I'll make sure these same weaknesses will not hold me back. I feel the end range closing strength is quite easy to train and for me it is just a matter of getting back what I had. That combined with stronger wrists I guarantee you will see some #4 closes from me.

I am not sure if anyone else might have similar issues or not but I think proper wrist strength is as crucial to big gripper closes as having a strong core for any total body lifts, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

Very interesting and I have used sledge levering as part of my training in the past; 6# sledge in all directions. Knew i was in good shape when I could internal/external rotate it from the end. I liked your thoughts on this and was thinking about adding levering back into my program on my inbetween weeks. Levering has always been good for keeping elbow tendonitis away for me. Chris Rice has also spoken of how when his levering is strong, so is the rest of him.

All the best in you gripper training.

Interesting experience Teemu. I experienced the same thing but at a much lower level, lol. When I first added sledges and say wrist strength go up, the gripper strength went up right with it.

Looking forward to some monster closes from you man.

I usually prefer to use both hands at the same time, with fingers on top and thumbs on bottom. Preferably with the TTK somewhere around chest level and with the hand side elevated.

I *think* I've seen Glass do this too.

Very interesting and I have used sledge levering as part of my training in the past; 6# sledge in all directions. Knew i was in good shape when I could internal/external rotate it from the end. I liked your thoughts on this and was thinking about adding levering back into my program on my inbetween weeks. Levering has always been good for keeping elbow tendonitis away for me. Chris Rice has also spoken of how when his levering is strong, so is the rest of him.

Thanks Andrew. Good luck to you as well.

Interesting experience Teemu. I experienced the same thing but at a much lower level, lol. When I first added sledges and say wrist strength go up, the gripper strength went up right with it.

Looking forward to some monster closes from you man.

Thanks Daniel. I guessed I would not be the only one with this kind of thoughts.

The hard part of this is to keep the pet feat on maintenance mode while really trying to get rid of these weaknesses. :) Mentally it is hard for me to not test my gripper max every now and then.

Exactly why I went to percentage based training for grippers. We all know maxing on any other lift is not productive, so why would it be any different for grippers

• Like 3

Exactly why I went to percentage based training for grippers. We all know maxing on any other lift is not productive, so why would it be any different for grippers

Good point. For the first time I am trying that as well.

Andrew, may I ask how I have to see your gripmachine assistance work in combination with your percentage gripperwork? You said gripmachine reps. On what percentage do you work that and what do you as 'repwork'?

Edited by Geralt

Andrew, may I ask how I have to see your gripmachine assistance work in combination with your percentage gripperwork? You said gripmachine reps. On what percentage do you work that and what do you as 'repwork'?

Not a problem. I'll video my grip workout next thursday. Grippers go off of percentage of 1RM and I use the closest gripper I can to what the calculator says. Assistance work is not based off any particular number, I go with feel, but want strong solid reps with a medium-heavy weight. I will perform my Snatches and Squat sets after the gripper work. I do not neglect full body training. The top grip guys are strong everywhere.

My day for will look like this:

Grippers - ccs

5 x sport, trainer, #1, #2

3 x #2.5

2 x #3

5 x 2 @ 192# SE (~90%)

Snatch

2 x 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 85, 90, 90, 90kg

Squat

5 x 135, 225, 315#

2 x 365#

1 x 405#

5 x 2 @ 430#

TTK

4 x 5 (r/l) @ 10#

SuperSet - 4 sets

- Sorinex grip machine @ 100# + purple bands x 5

- IM grip machine @ 135# x 5

ForeArm Factory @ #5 setting

4 x 30 all directions

Reverse Hyper and seated calf raise to finish

• Like 2

I've recently decided I need more rotational sledge power. I can do an 8# internal but not external - but I'm working on it. Goal is to do a ten pound sledge both internal and external in the Gripmas Medley. :wub:

• Like 1

Not a problem. I'll video my grip workout next thursday. Grippers go off of percentage of 1RM and I use the closest gripper I can to what the calculator says. Assistance work is not based off any particular number, I go with feel, but want strong solid reps with a medium-heavy weight. I will perform my Snatches and Squat sets after the gripper work. I do not neglect full body training. The top grip guys are strong everywhere.

My day for will look like this:

Grippers - ccs

5 x sport, trainer, #1, #2

3 x #2.5

2 x #3

5 x 2 @ 192# SE (~90%)

Snatch

2 x 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 85, 90, 90, 90kg

Squat

5 x 135, 225, 315#

2 x 365#

1 x 405#

5 x 2 @ 430#

TTK

4 x 5 (r/l) @ 10#

SuperSet - 4 sets

- Sorinex grip machine @ 100# + purple bands x 5

- IM grip machine @ 135# x 5

ForeArm Factory @ #5 setting

4 x 30 all directions

Reverse Hyper and seated calf raise to finish

Thnx very much! Regarding grip I did a cycle with the SW a few weeks ago for three weeks, I builds brutal strength but taxes my elbows and extensors very much (don't ask me how), almost got a tenniselbow but discovered that after my resting period.

anyway, my muscles like heavy training, my tendons and ligaments do not. So in the long rung this kind of training will do me more good, just like the dynamic effort Tim Struse mentioned. Again, thanks for sharing. very interesting. And yes, working overall body strength is good! Hey, strength is fun for us guys but we also like going to the beach now and than without thinking about tightening the abs all the time when we get out of the water :grin: