Ways To Bust Through Gripper Plateaus

gm1swm

All,

I feel I'm beginning to hit a wall with my crush grip strength. I don't feel it's overtraining or fatigue, but rather just a regular ol' plateau.

I understand that around this range is where we begin to max out on our hand strength potential and any gains from this point on are small and hard-earned.

I'm thinking of breaking my training into components now, focusing primarily on the finish.

What are some ideas or methods that are proven effective for this?

Some background questions..how long have you been training grippers? what is your best close and what gripper are you stuck on? What are you currently doing in your gripper training?

Some background questions..how long have you been training grippers? what is your best close and what gripper are you stuck on? What are you currently doing in your gripper training?

My best close is a CoC #3.5 rated by Cannon at 180. I have a set similar to Jonathan Vogt...kind of unconventional as opposed to the typical MMS set.I can mash a BBGE rated at 194 using both hands and hold it shut for like a sec and hold it at like a 1/4" inch shut for like 2-3 seconds before it starts opening up. My gripper training varies. I normally perform singles after a warm up and pyramid down from a gripper around 174-178 down to a gripper around 150-157, depending on how I feel. I normally get in roughly 8-10 singles.With that, I perform overcrushes with a severely filed down #2.5 and I do some negatives with a gripper roughly 5-15 pounds more than my heaviest gripper I started the workout with.I'm stuck on a BBE 5/8" rated at 182. I was thinking of incorporating choked gripper closes with a gripper slightly above my goal gripper.

First off, impressive strength.

I forgot to ask what set you use, parallel, CCS, TNS? How often do you train grippers or anything else grip related?

The usual disclosure, everyone is different. What works for one might not work for another. I'll share what works for me and what others claim to work for them in this situation, especially as it relates to high caliber grippers.

Learn to set like everyone else. The Vogt set is ok for CCS but is a hinderance on anything narrower. I love overcrushes on a filed gripper. Not overly filed though. That may work a range past the normal gripper range and might not carryover like we think. Also try overcrushes as more of the working part of the workout, not a finisher. Basically work up to your goal gripper. Give it a few attempts. Then grab a gripper only 10-15# less than that and do 3 sets of holds until failure. To failure is when the handles open up. I'm a fan of these during plateaus. This may sound crazy but setting grippers down for 2 months is also one of the best things to do. Seriously, works for me every time, and has others too. If you've been at it a long time a rest period is needed. Do thickbar work instead. Others mentioned this when I was new and I blew it off. Nope, it's good advice. Double over hand deadlifts are awesome for a crush grip. Many people including myself have seen big gains from putting a focus on doing deadlifts DO grip. I even did rack holds with even more weight than I could deadlift. It lit a fire in my grip like nothing else. Try using the smooth part of the bar in a sumo stance to get the most from the DO grip. Something else I'm just now trying is heavy DB rows with a 1.5" handle bar. It's the size of a closed gripper so trains that hand position even better than an axle or olympic bar. Others have liked it so I am trying it. Search this forum for Tim Struse's routine. He had an awesome workout plan that others have liked as well. It's hard to explain so it's best to see if you can find it here. It's only 6 months old or so. From my experience and from others, chokers don't carryover well. They get good at chokers but don't progress on MMS or CCS.

• Like 2

I am in the same boat as you. My gains are small but I have been steadily making them with wider sets. Right now I’m using 1.5" block sets. I also do a reverse pyramid as you. I start with a gripper I can get about 8 reps on and work down for a total of 3 sets all to failure. When I get over 10ish reps I move up in grippers. Week by week i get an extra rep. While doing this I don’t do max work very much. Once in a while Ill try my GHP7 and see that my top strength is getting a little better. Yesterday I was consistently getting within a mm and once it was closed (second attempt) I may change up my routine a bit and incorporate some negs.

One thing that has seemed to help me with grippers is thick bar work. I feel my thumb pad is just way stronger. I can thrust it a bit forward while closing and get my thumb to assist on the gripper close. This seems to help a lot!

First off, impressive strength.

I forgot to ask what set you use, parallel, CCS, TNS? How often do you train grippers or anything else grip related?

The usual disclosure, everyone is different. What works for one might not work for another. I'll share what works for me and what others claim to work for them in this situation, especially as it relates to high caliber grippers.

Learn to set like everyone else. The Vogt set is ok for CCS but is a hinderance on anything narrower. I love overcrushes on a filed gripper. Not overly filed though. That may work a range past the normal gripper range and might not carryover like we think. Also try overcrushes as more of the working part of the workout, not a finisher. Basically work up to your goal gripper. Give it a few attempts. Then grab a gripper only 10-15# less than that and do 3 sets of holds until failure. To failure is when the handles open up. I'm a fan of these during plateaus. This may sound crazy but setting grippers down for 2 months is also one of the best things to do. Seriously, works for me every time, and has others too. If you've been at it a long time a rest period is needed. Do thickbar work instead. Others mentioned this when I was new and I blew it off. Nope, it's good advice. Double over hand deadlifts are awesome for a crush grip. Many people including myself have seen big gains from putting a focus on doing deadlifts DO grip. I even did rack holds with even more weight than I could deadlift. It lit a fire in my grip like nothing else. Try using the smooth part of the bar in a sumo stance to get the most from the DO grip. Something else I'm just now trying is heavy DB rows with a 1.5" handle bar. It's the size of a closed gripper so trains that hand position even better than an axle or olympic bar. Others have liked it so I am trying it. Search this forum for Tim Struse's routine. He had an awesome workout plan that others have liked as well. It's hard to explain so it's best to see if you can find it here. It's only 6 months old or so. From my experience and from others, chokers don't carryover well. They get good at chokers but don't progress on MMS or CCS.

Daniel, I normally train four days consecutively and during that time, I beat the piss out of my hands. I then rest for three days straight. Extremely absurd...I know. Do you remember what Tim's workout was called? I did a search for his name and didn't see anything with his workout. Did he maybe post it under someone else's thread?

I am in the same boat as you. My gains are small but I have been steadily making them with wider sets. Right now I’m using 1.5" block sets. I also do a reverse pyramid as you. I start with a gripper I can get about 8 reps on and work down for a total of 3 sets all to failure. When I get over 10ish reps I move up in grippers. Week by week i get an extra rep. While doing this I don’t do max work very much. Once in a while Ill try my GHP7 and see that my top strength is getting a little better. Yesterday I was consistently getting within a mm and once it was closed (second attempt) I may change up my routine a bit and incorporate some negs.

One thing that has seemed to help me with grippers is thick bar work. I feel my thumb pad is just way stronger. I can thrust it a bit forward while closing and get my thumb to assist on the gripper close. This seems to help a lot!

Rich, I was also thinking about doing something involving more reps with weaker grippers as I think I peaked too quickly. I have a secret weapon rig...but when I used it, I felt it had the potential to cause injuries to the ring and pinkie fingers (don't ask).

Daniel, I normally train four days consecutively and during that time, I beat the piss out of my hands. I then rest for three days straight. Extremely absurd...I know. Do you remember what Tim's workout was called? I did a search for his name and didn't see anything with his workout. Did he maybe post it under someone else's thread?

4 days even in a week sounds intense. That may work better at lower level grippers but the higher you go the more recovery you need. Just my experience. I'm about the same strength level, 180ish MMS, and found once every 10 days is enough for me. Andrew Durniat is a #4 closer and trains grip only once a week if I recall. Hearing about how frequent and intense your training is, seems like burnout. Take 2 months off and just do thickbar work. Forget about grippers during that time. You will be refreshed and PRing when you get back. I go through a 2 month layoff every 6 months and I ALWAYS come back stronger. Grippers are 99% abused and overtrained.

I searched for Tim's info as well. He has a training log but it's not there anymore. If you contact Matt Cannon he could probably resurrect the log and his training info. He did his grippers 2x a week. One day was a really light day with speed work, and the other was a heavy day but not at 1rm. It kept him from burnout and gave steady growth. I do once every 10-14 days to keep from gripper burnout and can go 1rm each workout. That's the current recipe that is working for me.

Edited by daniel reinard

I think Tim's routine was in his mashmonster 7 profile.

4 days even in a week sounds intense. That may work better at lower level grippers but the higher you go the more recovery you need. Just my experience. I'm about the same strength level, 180ish MMS, and found once every 10 days is enough for me. Andrew Durniat is a #4 closer and trains grip only once a week if I recall. Hearing about how frequent and intense your training is, seems like burnout. Take 2 months off and just do thickbar work. Forget about grippers during that time. You will be refreshed and PRing when you get back. I go through a 2 month layoff every 6 months and I ALWAYS come back stronger. Grippers are 99% abused and overtrained.

I searched for Tim's info as well. He has a training log but it's not there anymore. If you contact Matt Cannon he could probably resurrect the log and his training info. He did his grippers 2x a week. One day was a really light day with speed work, and the other was a heavy day but not at 1rm. It kept him from burnout and gave steady growth. I do once every 10-14 days to keep from gripper burnout and can go 1rm each workout. That's the current recipe that is working for me.

Andrew's crushing the #4?? I guess that makes perfect sense since he was probably MMS'ing a 200'ish gripper when he certed on the 3.5 earlier in the year. It would be great to see him, Gabriel (if he was healthy), Juha, Paul, Jonathan, Tim, and Ioan all cert on the #4 together. I think if one can do it, the rest would feed off each other's energy.

With working out once a week and such, it's extremely difficult to stay away from the grippers. I literally have to leave them at work or leave them in the trunk of my car. Like many of us, I can't stay away!!

• Like 1

Haha, that is so true! But once you start feeling stronger and more refreshed you'll have more confidence and willpower to stay away. It's hard to break the gripper addiction! Lol.

Very true about those guys. I think Andrew mms'd a #4 this year, I forget. If not he's right there. Seeing his #3.5 cert first hand was amazing. He didn't want to exhaust himself for the grip contest the next day so he said he will only give it one or two tries since it was already out of the package and certed by that really big guy (forgot name). He easily closed and held it on the first try if I recall. I don't even remember him warming up on more than a #2 that was there for the C2D challenge.

With lighter grippers (#3 and under) I can train weekly, but with training #3.5 and above I have found I can only train every other week. I do not train max effort but am approaching 90%. With gripper rgc I have been using a percentage based approach with my training:

5x5 @ 75%,

6x4 @ 80%,

7x3 @ 85%,

5x2 @ 90%

I've been using ccs sets and am experiencing good strength as long as I go with a week off in between. My assistance grip exercises are TTK, grip machine reps and wrist roller.

With lighter grippers (#3 and under) I can train weekly, but with training #3.5 and above I have found I can only train every other week. I do not train max effort but am approaching 90%. With gripper rgc I have been using a percentage based approach with my training:

5x5 @ 75%,

6x4 @ 80%,

7x3 @ 85%,

5x2 @ 90%

I've been using ccs sets and am experiencing good strength as long as I go with a week off in between. My assistance grip exercises are TTK, grip machine reps and wrist roller.

How often do you adjust your 1RM, Andrew?

5x5 @ 75%,

6x4 @ 80%,

7x3 @ 85%,

5x2 @ 90%

I'll adjust it 5# each cycle, unless I miss reps (not full closes) and then I will repeat the cycle until all sets and reps are done solid. Currently working off a 210# max and I'll be repeating my current cycle due to some missed reps on 7x3 week. MM ladder gripper attempts have interrupted my rest and I perform best with rest; Juha and Adam Glass amaze me with their day to day work loads. I'm excited with my current gripper training, but admit it is hard to wait 2 weeks between training sometimes. However, know I get a chance to ccs a 192# gripper in a couple of weeks is exciting and then giving a legitimate at some big grippers makes it worth it.

• Like 2

Wow...so each cycle is eight weeks long??? I was under the impression that those were the workloads you handled each week!!

Also, from the time you certed on the #3.5 up until now, have you had any stagnant points? Or have things been steady since then?

This is what Tim was doing when he made gains to get to the MM7. I think it is good for some one who is over trained only. Just my opinion. I tried it but didn’t gain. I did not lose any strength either. Maybe I did not focus on the explosive closes. But I think it really works for someone who is over trained and needs active recovery and focus on the CNS. I call this STP (Struce Training Program). I hope Tim gets bit by the grip bug soon. I miss him.

TIM STRUSE WORKOUT

Week 1: (two harder work days and one recovery)

Wed: 5x3@75% (speed)

Fri: 5x3@50% (recovery)

Sun: 3x1@90% (3 second overcrushes) + 3x3@70% (speed)

Week 2: Same as Week 1

Week 3: (one harder work day and two recovery)

Wed: 5x3@50% (recovery)

Sun: 6x4@70% (speed)

Week 4: Same as Week 3

Week 5: (recovery only)

Wed: 5x3@50% (recovery)

Sun: 5x3@50% (recovery)

Week 6: strength is at its peak, so either: (1) cert attempt then begin cycle again next week; or (2) no cert attempt and begin cycle again immediately

The single most important factor over the last 6 months has been

> adding the dynamic method into my gripper workouts and doing the bulk

> of these work sets at 50%-70% 1RM. My mental cue is to listen and

> click the handles together as loud as possible, which forces me to

> close the gripper explosively. I do this on every rep of every set, so

> that each rep is performed with the same effort as a max. I still use

> the max effort method of training but not nearly as often, maybe once

> per month and with very low volume.

>

> Also an important factor was focusing more on the CNS. I try to never miss a

> rep in training because I believe that everything I do etches a memory

> and I want my body to understand that it may only close grippers and

> cannot fail a rep

> - as a newbie I spent way too much time trying and failing to close my

> goal gripper. Also related to this, I've been using a lot of

> visualization techniques as well as extremely light "greasing the

> groove" work on off days.

On wrist workouts: Usually some before and some after - sometimes only before if it's a hard workout. I try to use a mix of exercises but these are the staples: light sledge rotations, wrist curls both ways, reverse curls with the axle, and an exercise Aaron recently showed me that he calls Cyplenkov curls. My single favorite is wrist rotations with a 20" cut section of an old olympic bar - this seems to get all the clicks out of my forearms.

Oh ya, gm1swm, you are over training with 4 days straight!!!!

• Like 1

What would you recommend for thick bar work?

What would you recommend for thick bar work?

Use a Manus grip or fat grip for your back workout. It really works your forearm. If you don’t do back stuff then start. Dumbbell rows are especially good. If you have a gym with the Hammer Strength lat row machines that is really good too. I still get sore from this even after a few months of doing it. Usually I get used to stuff and don’t get sore after a few workouts.

Wow...so each cycle is eight weeks long??? I was under the impression that those were the workloads you handled each week!!

Also, from the time you certed on the #3.5 up until now, have you had any stagnant points? Or have things been steady since then?

It is now an 8 week cycle. At first, I was able to do it in 4 weeks. 7x3 with a #3.5ccs takes more energy and I'm taking greater rest. This is proving to be beneficial and I've been able to up my assistance work on those days as well. I am not training pinch or thickbar at this time, so we'll see how my numbers are on Sept. 29 with the pinch/pull meet.

Thumb on top, fingers on bottom, TTK on hip level desk and keeping my elbow in line with the TTK. 4 sets of 5 (r/l) smooth reps, trying to feel my weak point. I can shoot video if you'd like.

• Like 1

so, you go quite heavy then? for a TTK anyway? do you open up all the way or only to about your pinch thickness?

5x5 @ 75%,

6x4 @ 80%,

7x3 @ 85%,

5x2 @ 90%

I'll adjust it 5# each cycle, unless I miss reps (not full closes) and then I will repeat the cycle until all sets and reps are done solid. Currently working off a 210# max and I'll be repeating my current cycle due to some missed reps on 7x3 week. MM ladder gripper attempts have interrupted my rest and I perform best with rest; Juha and Adam Glass amaze me with their day to day work loads. I'm excited with my current gripper training, but admit it is hard to wait 2 weeks between training sometimes. However, know I get a chance to ccs a 192# gripper in a couple of weeks is exciting and then giving a legitimate at some big grippers makes it worth it.

So if I understand this right, you do 5 x 5 75% one workout, than rest for that week and the coming week, than 6 x 4 80% one workout, rest for that week and coming week...and so on?