Grip Strength Radio

Jedd Johnson

Episode 23 with Kody Burns is up on gripstrengthradio.com!

http://gripstrengthradio.com/radio/radio-shows/episode-23-kody-burns/

We've got some exciting guests lined up for the next few episodes.

Another great episode! I do want to bring up that this record was set on Andrew's pinch set up and I think all the others were on Jedd's. I know we have used mine in a comp or two but I don't think any WRs have been set while using it.

hellswind - there's one listed here: http://gripstrengthradio.com/radio/page/3/

is that what you are looking for?

Jedd & Doc - great show!!! My only issue is the sound quality for Kody's line, but I doubt there's much you can do to improve the interwebs.

Ah - I see what you mean - when I click on that Wade interview, I get this:

Sorry. 404 Not Found

Hmmm ... Not sure what happened to this page. The slaves, err employees must have screwed something up. Please be patient. When we discover the culprit he or she will be thoroughly questioned, then flogged, then fired. In the meantime, just click the "Home" button above.

the one thing I took away was that Kody has been training grip longer than anyone else who's competing. since 99???? crazy.

• Like 2

I never realized you had to grip the bat so hard in softball. He must be launching balls into the next county.

Did he talk about surface prep on 2HP?

sort of. he mentioned that he just kept adding chalk since it was so wet that day.

i agree with jedd's observation. at one point kody set up, stopped, and rechalked. my opener my hands were wrong. i knew it and kept pulling anyway. the ability to step back shows a huge maturity in mindset.

More importantly IMO he talked about hand prep and that when it feels right you only have a 15 second window to capitalize on that. I've noticed the same but it never computed until hearing Kody talk about it.

the one thing I took away was that Kody has been training grip longer than anyone else who's competing. since 99???? crazy.

I know some of the audio was kinda hairy at times I apologize. I think my earbuds were junk that I was using, I bought my first 2 grippers in 1999 or 2000. Really just overtrained on grippers for the first few years, then bought the wrist roller and leverage bar in 2003 or 2004. Bought the 2.5 whenever it came out in 2007 or 2008. Struggled learning to set the 2.5, but once I figured it out the gains came. Shut my first 3 in 2009. Learned to train gripsport specific in late 2011 early 2012. Certified on the 3 in late August 2012. Got my Europinch in September. Just learning how to heal and how and when to train has been the biggest and most beneficial in my mind. It took me along time to understand active recovery. Still got squatting and deadlifting to figure out !

More importantly IMO he talked about hand prep and that when it feels right you only have a 15 second window to capitalize on that. I've noticed the same but it never computed until hearing Kody talk about it.

The conditions were unlike any that i've seen. But this was my 4th contest so I havent' known to much different. I think with so many people in that tight of an area the humidity was somewhat of a factor. I'm no meteorologist but I know that my hands couldn't stay dry for no more than 20 seconds between needing chalk it seemed. I could of just been nervous too. During the comp I kept hearing everyone saying it didn't feel right. I definitely think there was an open window. I noticed this by continuing to rub my hands together in between lifts. Or maybe I have OCD, one of the two ! :)

I never realized you had to grip the bat so hard in softball. He must be launching balls into the next county.

Haha ! Not so much the grip, but more so the wrist power. Or atleast thats what I was hoping. BTW, there's only one way to hit a softball.....DEEEEEEP !! ;)

You don't need to be able to grip it hard. You need to be able to move the hands quickly through the zone. Speed is a by-product of strength.

Ah - I see what you mean - when I click on that Wade interview, I get this:Sorry. 404 Not Found

Hmmm ... Not sure what happened to this page. The slaves, err employees must have screwed something up. Please be patient. When we discover the culprit he or she will be thoroughly questioned, then flogged, then fired. In the meantime, just click the "Home" button above.

Yes, something was wrong with the audio on Kody's end. I was trying all kinds of things on my end to try to help out, but it wasn't working.

I will look and see what is up with that interview.

You don't need to be able to grip it hard. You need to be able to move the hands quickly through the zone. Speed is a by-product of strength.

Ah - I see what you mean - when I click on that Wade interview, I get this:Sorry. 404 Not Found

Yes, something was wrong with the audio on Kody's end. I was trying all kinds of things on my end to try to help out, but it wasn't working.

I will look and see what is up with that interview.

Thanks man I was really looking forward to that one. Haven't had time to listen to kody's interview yet, but I'm excited that it's up.

• 2 months later...

Any new episodes in the works?

Doc's work schedule changed so it has been more difficult scheduling shows. We talked about it at Garage Night, though. Looking at figuring something out.

Thanks,

Jedd

• 4 weeks later...

Okey dokey. I still listen to the old episodes at work. I've been having a lot of 'listen to me know and believe me later' moments come to fruition.

• 2 months later...

Whoo Hoo! New episode is loading to my laptop! 1hr less of boredom on about 18 hrs of plane ride coming up.

Psyched to hear you guys will have Andrew and Eric on in the future!

Working out the date for the next one.

I realy enjoy the show jedd!