News | Super Elite Possibly Retired!

Cannon

Whoa!!! That's a show stopper. I guess it's a good thing I bought a SE earlier this year even though I didn't need it yet.

Even if Warren gets a different supplier, the wire is likely to not be *exactly* the same either.

Holy cow! I just ordered a SE hours before you posted this horrible gripper news..

In fear of loosing the chance, should I buy a MM3 now, Matt?

You might want to! Depending on how this goes, prices could reflect the scarcity of this gripper very soon.

Also wanted to mention that while Warren's legendary mid-180s gripper MAY be retired, we are working on some creative and, frankly, awesome ways to fill the gap.

More to come. Nothing is official yet, even with the SE. Just keeping my peeps up on the news. :)

• Like 1

Shame. I just closed mine (one of a few grippers that survived the debacle) after not havinbg laid hands on it for 9 months.

I have a BBSE adjustable gripper from Acorn and it is a good thing I got mine when I did. However, I am still miles from closing it.

Just got mine in the mail along with a GE.

Rated at 185.

I want to take this opportunity to plug Cannon's new gripper store. Extremely fast shipping, especially when ordering the rating service.

The bottlecap id tags make for a pretty indestructible way of identifying your rated grippers...

I think I may order a BB Pro or a GHP 9 from you in the near future, Sir...to use as a negative gripper. But I think I'm good for now until I start crushing grippers in the mid-180's to 190's.

After that, I think I'll start playing the gripper lottery again!

Thanks for the plug!

I'm still perfecting the bottle caps. It's all about the surface under the cap. It must be dense enough to keep the cap from deforming, but soft enough that the stamp takes well. The ones I did on Sunday are the best yet. I think I finally found the perfect surface.

There is still some time for these. I was at Warren's shop yesterday and we dug through his boxes of springs and he had more than what his sons made it sound like. But not a lot more.

The difficult thing with Warren's supply is going to be his ability to churn out grippers. If we're out of stock on something in the short term, it's simply becuase his time in the shop is limited.

He really feels that gluing handles is going to speed things up and change everything.

We're happy to get any grippers he can make! They are masterpieces from the "Father of Grip!"

Kind of a news update as part of this thread:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=39143entry548861

These are sold out in the store guys!

A side note, right now anything that is "sold out" is because of demand, not because we couldn't get any. Warren is making grippers, but just can't keep up. I had someone ask if we'll get more Super Elites ever, and I had to clarify that we DID get 6 on the last order and they all sold within two days! We also got 5 of the MM4 replicas...all sold instantly.

So we placed a larger order with Warren only to have him edit down the numbers based on his feeling of what he could get done. Bottom line is some of the most popular grippers are going to be tough to get. MM4 being one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

For now, I believe this is "disaster averted."

I'm not crystal clear on if he found a separate supplier, or if the original supplier came through, but when I saw him on Thursday he mentioned getting more of these springs and said it shouldn't be an issue.

So, these will probably still be hard to keep in stock, but at least there is no end in sight.

Great news. I also hope someone will one day take over for Warren since I love Beef Builders and I know hes not getting any younger.

Great news. I also hope someone will one day take over for Warren since I love Beef Builders and I know hes not getting any younger.

You and me both man, it will be a great loss when his time comes, if these grippers aren't continued onward that will be an even greater loss.

• Like 1

Good news about the spring.

On a side note: Matt you should mention the next time you see Warren tell him that getting rid of the pins is a bad idea. There are a lot of good brands of grippers and his pins are like a trademark that sets his grippers apart from the rest. I bet he has not trademarked that look. He really should trademark it and keep the pins. He has like 100 children and grand kids so you would think one would step up to the plate and help out.

Warren quotes a 2 week turn but knows I'll take the order ASAP. So watch for them on the 21st or so. I'll post updates as I talk to him so people can plan.

On the pins, he knows how we feel. His health/capacity/time/etc is such that I get the impression it's find a way to glue the handles or maybe cut back even further on production.

• Like 1

I just got my grand elite in the mail today in a timely matter and the rating tag is cool and my handles were not messed up at all from the rating. Great service :grin:

I guess I've never mentioned it but I use phenolic inserts in the RGC to protect the knurling. Our rating process leaves no marks.

• Like 3

I just got my grand elite in the mail today in a timely matter and the rating tag is cool and my handles were not messed up at all from the rating. Great service :grin:

Strong!

• Like 1

Yeah, seriously, WOW. That's some horsepower! Easiest close I've seen of a gripper that hard. (Maybe to add perspective, Paul's 199 #4 close looked like a slightly deeper set, although paused, and the handles did not come in as smoothly).

Warren quotes a 2 week turn but knows I'll take the order ASAP. So watch for them on the 21st or so. I'll post updates as I talk to him so people can plan.

On the pins, he knows how we feel. His health/capacity/time/etc is such that I get the impression it's find a way to glue the handles or maybe cut back even further on production.

I feel like I'm watching the stock market, keep clicking on Cannon Powerworks in search of a SE! :fear

• Like 1