Dog Leg Side?

Mephistopholes

3 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

I just assumed it was the intended way to hold them based on my googling when starting out and how GHP handles are machined.

Cool info.

Same. I watched the Paul Knight video back in 2015 and never thought twice about it again. GHPs just solidified it for me.  Just became part of my routine.

Step 1: Locate the dogleg and put it in the palm.

Step 2:…

Step 3: Profit. 

I always assumed the difference was negligible, but it satisfies my OCPD to do it the same every time. 

• Like 2

Since the moment arm length is the same, there is no difference if a machine is closing the gripper the same "straight" way. While I'm sure the difference is not significant, I'm really not sure if it's exactly the same when a human is closing it. I'm not talking about the resistance of the gripper measured with the RGC method, of course that should be the same. 

Btw I just do it because others do it and I'm already used to it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Same. I watched the Paul Knight video back in 2015 and never thought twice about it again. GHPs just solidified it for me.  Just became part of my routine.

I always assumed the difference was negligible, but it satisfies my OCPD to do it the same every time. 

same but with the Jedd Johnson video, also following a set steps puts my mind in the right place before making a lift/closing a gripper

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matek said:

Btw I just do it because others do it and I'm already used to it.

This is why anyone does it. It is not a thing otherwise. 🤗

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

This is why anyone does it. It is not a thing otherwise. 🤗

Not to mix apples and oranges...but what do people typically do with filed grippers?

For some reason I always put the filed side on the finger side.  But hey...maybe I'm backwards.  🤪

31 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Not to mix apples and oranges...but what do people typically do with filed grippers?

For some reason I always put the filed side on the finger side.  But hey...maybe I'm backwards.  🤪

I do the same, I find if I put the filed side in my palm then I get pinched easier.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

I do the same, I find if I put the filed side in my palm then I get pinched easier.

Thanks @EmilBB.  Makes sense.

I'm not sure I even tried it the other way.  Finger side is doing the movement and filing increases the range of motion...so I think I just always put filed/finger together.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 4/10/2023 at 10:26 PM, DoctorOfCrush said:

To me it's simple problem solving:

1. Some people say dogleg to the palm is more effective

2. Some people say either side is equally effective

3. No one says dogleg to the palm is worse

Therefore, I put the dogleg in my palm. 

• Like 1