Need Help Adding/removing Spring From Vise Gripper/ivanko Super Grippe

ghost ape

I bought a Vise Gripper a while ago and it came with a third spring. I can't figure out how to add and remove the springs though, I can slide them up and down just fine but adding in the third spring seems impossible. Any help is appreciated.

This is the type of gripper I am talking about

51zd0gEtFML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

you'll have to stretch it to get it into place. hook one end in place then use something like a screwdriver handle to stretch/bend the other end into position. though I guess if you're strong enough to need the third spring you could always just use your bare hands (or bear paws)!

Edited by chilliman64

you see that notch that keeps the handle from moving forward? You have to take the handle and slide it sideways so it clears that, then you can push it completely forward and the springs will just fall off. Hope this helps.

you see that notch that keeps the handle from moving forward? You have to take the handle and slide it sideways so it clears that, then you can push it completely forward and the springs will just fall off. Hope this helps.

Mine can be pushed forward but not far enough to easily slide the springs off entirely. This might be different in the ISG and the Vise Gripper.

you'll have to stretch it to get it into place. hook one end in place then use something like a screwdriver handle to stretch/bend the other end into position. though I guess if you're strong enough to need the third spring you could always just use your bare hands (or bear paws)!

I was worried about bending the hook portion of the spring by doing this but it might be the only way. I got the third spring for free and I think having all three springs allows more gradual jumps to be made in resistance. I don't know if that is useful in practical terms, but it would be nice to know how to use it if I ever need to. There was a spreadsheet or chart where all the possible resistances are listed for the ISG/Vise Gripper with 3 springs but I can't find it anymore. I have the chart for 2 springs saved and I found this site that has simple programs for calculating the resistance with 3 springs though:

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/mathgod/sg/supergripper.html

You should be able to slide the handle forward and add springs. I have the exact same thing you posted a picture of, and my handle will slide forward 1/2" in order to make enough room to add or remove springs. Take a look.

Gripper.jpg

Hey, you put gripper handles on yours. Awesome!

You should be able to slide the handle forward and add springs. I have the exact same thing you posted a picture of, and my handle will slide forward 1/2" in order to make enough room to add or remove springs. Take a look.

Gripper.jpg

As it turns out, the spring that was provided as an extra 3rd spring has a slightly different hook length and so the coiled portion would hit one end of the handle and interfere with sliding it on. If you get it as close as you can and gently lever the hook on with a screwdriver or something then it works fine. Thanks for the help guys!

Three springs is a whole new world when it comes to forced crushes and negatives!

Edited by ghost ape

I believe the one in the picture is a PDA Devils Advocate. That may not be the name but it is a PDA and I have one just like it. I know because I spent WAAAAY too much money on it when I was still new to the sport. The one with the riveted on handles in the first post is a Vice Gripper made by a different company.

- Aaron

I believe the one in the picture is a PDA Devils Advocate. That may not be the name but it is a PDA and I have one just like it. I know because I spent WAAAAY too much money on it when I was still new to the sport. The one with the riveted on handles in the first post is a Vice Gripper made by a different company.

- Aaron

Yep, this is the PDA version. I probably don't care to remember how much I paid at this point! :sick:

Mike

- Aaron

Is there much difference between the different "Vise grippers?" The one I have is the Hammar Sport variety but it doesn't have the riveted handles like the picture I posted at the start of the thread though it's the same grey color. I think Iron Woody sells the one with riveted handles with knurling. APT sells a few different kinds on their site labeled as Vise Grippers but they seem to lack knurling and have slightly different handles.