Armwrestling Training Kainz Hannes

Hannes Kainz

Hy Everyone,

I have started to train armwrestling since 4 weeks. That says i have no idea what is going on.

I will compend at a event in one month ( Austrian open cup +105kg ri)

I think i have seen every vid on YT about armwrestling, but there a lot of questions !!!!!!!

I have made a few vids of my first tryes to train for armwrestling.

I hope there is anyone who can give me a few comments to this vids.

I dount know if the moves are good or bad ??

I know my biceps is weak, and my wrists and hands and lower arms (on the right) are strong.

What do you guys think should i train, to get the best results in a short time!

Thanks a lot for comments.

• Like 2

Hannes,

Later this evening I will try and give you some suggestions for your AW'ing training in more detail

but here's the main issues I see that need attention before developing any bad habits:

1) Gaps in your setup. Too much space between your upper arm and lat and too much space between

your forearm and bicep. Gaps = energy leaks!

2)Your arm is not positioned correctly for optimal

power. Keep your arm within your shoulders

3) When doing your DB table curls you're opening up easily (weak biceps & improper setup).

4) You should be working from the elbow pad and not the edge of the table with your movements.

5) Too much range of motion in your exercises. Full ROM is great for keeping your arms healthy but your

work sets on the table should be short ROM.

More detail when I have time my friend! This weekend I may do you a video to help you out. It depends on

my available time.

The main thing with competitive arm wrestling is to realize that you will not succeed over night and progress

is much slower than regular strength training. Recovery times are at least twice as long and often longer than normal

weight training.

Try to find an experienced puller to learn proper technique. This is a MUST!

BTW, I can tell you're a good guy Hannes!

Edited by Mighty Joe

Hannes check out this guy's YouTube videos. Polish arm wrestling trainer. He shows many movements. It is in Polish, but you can get the idea of how they are performed. He has many hundred videos online. Even if you are not an arm wrestler, the movements are good to use anyway

Edited by zcor

I agree with zcor that this guys movements are great but it's important to understand

the explanations specially as a beginner.

This guy is one of the best AW'ing trainers on the globe IMO.

He has nearly 1000 videos and uses very unique equipment specific for AW'ing training.

I agree Joe with the explanation factor of the movements in the specifics for arm wrestling. I used the movemnts in a trial and error just for some fresh and differing arm work. Actually experimenting. For myself I did not use them as training for AW :) Here is a few explained with english. I think this is his website.

http://en.armpower.n...-success-1.html

Edited by zcor
  • Like 1

I agree Joe with the explanation factor of the movements in the specifics for arm wrestling. I used the movemnts in a trial and error just for some fresh and differing arm work. Actually experimenting. For myself I did not use them as training for AW :) Here is a few explained with english. I think this is his website.

http://en.armpower.n...-success-1.html

Thanks for sharing this link Rick!

I love to read where others experiment! Hats off to you!

You bring up an excellent point concerning experimenting with these movements because

there's numerous AW'ing specific movements (exercises) that have great therapeutic benefits

for the elbows and wrists. The movement where he supinates his hand with the strap under tension

is an excellent movement (with light tension) for elbow re-hab/pre-hab regardless if you arm wrestle

or not.

Glad to read that you're using these movements in your training even if it's just experimenting.

Thanks for your posts guys!

Seems this polnish guy knows how to armwrestle, this vids helps a lot.

You have a great opportunity for some good training especially having a table. Resistance bands will probably be your best friend when training on a table without having a local puller around. Get a few heavy duty resistance bands that have clips on the end so you can connect a number of different attachments to work all sorts of angles. Isometric heavy singles are a good start. I'm not a big fan of dumbbell training on a table. They're better used on a preacher bench or for hammer curls.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gut zu sehen, dass du so gas gibst mit dem training ;-)))

wie schon joe geschrieben hat, nimm dir genug zeit und lerne die tevhnik korrekt! am ist daür die zeit nach dem turnier wo es immer gute trainings sessions gibt ;-)

wie schon joe geschrieben hat, nimm dir genug zeit und lerne die tevhnik korrekt! am ist daür die zeit nach dem turnier wo es immer gute trainings sessions gibt ;-)

Say what???

Say what???

He's saying something to this end: Good to see you training hard. As Joe wrote, take your time and learn the technique properly. After a tournament there's always time for a good training session.

Bertl,

Danke das du den Kontakt zum Markus hergestellt hast!

Ich bin fest am trainieren, und freu mich schon aufs Event!

Ich hoffe ich kann einen einigermaßen "guten" Gegner abgeben.

Beim Max hab ich aber noch meine Schwierigkeiten.

Ich weis aber auch vom bending " hard work pays off".

Mighty Joe,

Do you think DU and reverse bending is a good training to get stronger writs for armwrestling?

My training for AW inkl. this 2 times a week :

- warmup 10 min

- gripper

- bending ( DO , DU, reverse)

- traing on the table with bands, and an other puller

- pullups

- pushups

- hammercurls

- tumbbellcurls on the table

With 2/3 days beetwen the training it feels good for me, what do you think?

• 3 weeks later...

First event is done!

2nd in +95 le / ri :-) Not so bad i think.

There is a lot to learn!!!

• Like 1

Mighty Joe,

Do you think DU and reverse bending is a good training to get stronger writs for armwrestling?

- warmup 10 min

- gripper

- bending ( DO , DU, reverse)

- traing on the table with bands, and an other puller

- pullups

- pushups

- hammercurls

- tumbbellcurls on the table

With 2/3 days beetwen the training it feels good for me, what do you think?

- warmup 10 min - YES

- gripper - For AW'ing, NO

- bending ( DO , DU, reverse) NO

- traing on the table with bands, and an other puller - YES

- pullups - YES with limited ROM

- pushups - YES

- hammercurls - YES

- tumbbellcurls on the table - NO

2-3 days between training sessions is fine except for pulling days. Longer rest periods are required for most

after pulling sessions. Active recovery is great during this rest period. Light resistance/higher reps. Fine tune

your technique with mental rehearsals as well. Don't laugh too quick! It works great!

As far as DO/DU bending for arm wrestling strength for the wrists, I would strengthen my wrists with more AW'ing

specific movements such as revolving handle wrist curls with bands, both static and dynamic with your arm in various,

known AW'ing positions.

Grippers won't help your hand strength for AW'ing. Think more along the lines of flat finger strength and not crushing strength

as in closing a gripper. Flexing your extended fingers under tension/resistance is ideal IMO.

Hope this helps and great job on your contest!!!

Stay with it but train smart and be patient my friend!!!

Edited by Mighty Joe
  • Like 1

First event is done!

2nd in +95 le / ri :-) Not so bad i think.

There is a lot to learn!!!

Congrats Hannes!

• Like 1