Hand/wrist Extensor Training

bdckr

Extensor training  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do extensor specific exercises?

That other thread got me thinking about the possible benefit of extensor training. While we're waiting for someone to do the definitive study, I thought it would be interesting to get some information from probably the largest collection of people who are already doing hand/lower arm flexor training.

If you vote, I'd appreciate it if you would also include some stats in a comment:

yes/no to extensor work, what kind of extensor work if any

current weight

max crush

max support

max narrow pinch

max wide pinch

years training grip

pre-existing injury/problem of hand/arm

subsequent injury/problem of hand/arm

I'll go first:

no extensor work

weight: 156 lbs

max crush: left #2.5 MMS (non RGC), right #3 MMS (RGC'd 154)

max support: 355 lbs DO deadlift, 115 lbs (plates only) 2.5" crusher, 145 lbs (plates only) old RT

max narrow pinch: none, don't train

max wide pinch: none, don't train

years training grip: 7 (heh, had to look up when I joined the gripboard)

pre-existing problem: none

subsequent problem: none

yes to extensor work

I perform sets of expand your hand bands supersetted with any gripper work I do, I've found better results keeping reps above 12 (as high as 40). I'll normally work a band up to sets of 40. To continually progress, I'll add a pause once opened, again working up to 40. Once I can do paused sets of 40 with a specific band, I try the next colour up. If need be, I'll keep to the same colour and add regular bands for added resistance, bridging the gap.

I'll also rest a brick across the back of my fingers and hold it there for time, an exercise I came across in one of John Brookfield's books. This is always done at the very end of the workout for timed holds of 30 seconds (3 sets). I've got a second brick broken into five pieces to use as smaller increments of weight.

Recently I've added in reverse wrist curls, 3-4 sets of 10-15.

current weight: 83kg

max crush: LEFT: TNS #2. RIGHT: filed 2.5.

max support: 400lb deadlift with double overhand grip, RT max is 75kg, never maxed my homemade thickbar but I perform timed holds (3x15secs) with 110kg currently.

max narrow/wide pinch: I've only recently started wide pinching, I've never really maxed pinching in general (always train for timed holds). I've held 20kg on the Ironmind pinch block for 3 sets of 10 secs.

years training grip: On and off over the past 7ish years (training time is probably 4-5?)

pre-existing injury/problem of hand/arm: Used to have pains in the back of the hand, and was advised it was due to a neglect of extensor training. Since giving it more focus the pains ahve gone and that's led me to train more effectively.

subsequent injury/problem of hand/arm: Currently the thumb related pain, as mentioned in the previous thread that led to this poll.

Edited by indiladhar

I do extensor work, but namely for high reps.

current weight: 175lbs

max crush: #2 COC

max support: 500lbs ish

max narrow pinch: N/A

max wide pinch: 40lbs

years training grip: 2 years

pre-existing injury/problem of hand/arm: index finger dislocation on right hand due to a hard fall years ago

subsequent injury/problem of hand/arm: ulnar side of wrist pain... generally first sign of overtraining. Caused by double underhand steel bending

no extensor work

weight: 182 lbs

max crush: left BBE MMS (153lb), right BBE MMS (160lb)

max support: 430 lbs DO deadlift, 210 lbs old RT

max narrow pinch: none, don't train

max wide pinch: 46.2k Euro @ 64mm, WR in the 83k and 93k class (1HP)

years training grip: 12

pre-existing problem: none

subsequent problem: snapped a ligament in the left wrist during competition while performing a one hand table top wrist curl.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I do extensor work, but namely for high reps.

current weight: 175lbs

max crush: #2 COC

max support: 500lbs ish

max narrow pinch: N/A

max wide pinch: 40lbs [1 hand]

years training grip: 2 years

pre-existing injury/problem of hand/arm: index finger dislocation on right hand due to a hard fall years ago

subsequent injury/problem of hand/arm: ulnar side of wrist pain... generally first sign of overtraining. Caused by double underhand steel bending

Edited by hellswindstaff