OLD Qualification List For North American Championship

Jedd Johnson

I have a question....since Rolling Thunder is no longer a contested event but it seems Little big horn has taken its place, are there any plans to modify the criteria for qualifying?

Like Brent said, it hasn't been discussed. Good point to discuss though.

• 4 months later...

Just out of curiosity, In regards to reaching Elite status for my weight class, is the gripper close a Mash Monster Set? The video submission is one long submission for all 3 lifts or individual videos? Apologies in advance if this question was already answered.

Thanks.

for elite status the lifts have to be done in competition. generally that would mean a 20mm block set gripper close.

Yes, Elite is in contests, ONLY. They can be done in different contests. I think it was decided once they should all be in the same season and weight class.

GREAT QUESTION!

Thanks guys. this definitely helped to clarify. Really looking to achieve this feat one day, for now it will be a great goal to obtain unofficially and officially in a contest setting.

• Like 1

I also just wanted to mention that there is a 1 Hand Elite Total and 2 Hand Elite Total.

• 3 weeks later...

For 2-handed Elite, does that mean you sum your max gripper in each hand, plus Axle and Euro? So 4 devices overall?

^No, just your best gripper close (either right or left). So I guess "two-handed elite" isn't quite correct. There's the original "elite" and "one-handed elite" was subsequently added.

Two Handed Elite includes best gripper, 2HP, 2HAxle.

One Handed Elite includes best gripper, 1HP, 1HAxle.

• 8 months later...

Chris "Tank" Andrade has qualified for the 93kg weight class at Nationals. He hit a 12-lb Lever at Gripmas and has done the following two lifts:

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Do we have a list of qualifications for women lifters?

No, we do not, sir. The women's section has not been defined.

Do we have a list of qualifications for women lifters?

There simply hasn't been enough women compete to develop any numbers - especially as to weight class numbers. Hopefully this will change over time.

Even the lightweight men's classes haven't had the numbers I would like. It's been a big mans game for too long - it is changing but I'd love to see us start attracting rock climber for example - who are generally smaller guys.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2

No, we do not, sir. The women's section has not been defined.

Would we wait to have requirements until we have a significant women's presence or do we need to work on something like that now?

Good question. Part of my personal hesitation in devising a women's list is the fact that I don't have much of a pool of data to work with.

It's something that need to be done, but as of now, it hasn't been worked on, unfortunately.

Brent has historically been the person who crunched the numbers, and he has some stuff going on with work that is keeping him from the board. Do you have some inclinations regarding the numbers?

Gil, I sent you an email, brotherrrrr

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Rice, why do you think it has been a big mans game for so long?

Chris Rice, why do you think it has been a big mans game for so long?

All the publicity goes with the extremes - not only in Grip Sport but all strength sports. You can have a contest where 2 or 3 lightweights can set a WR for their class and the super heavyweight gets his picture on the front page for an "average" performance because the numbers are bigger. The "feats" we all aspire to in grip are only being done by the real "outliers" among the true lightweights. I know some quite strong rock climbers with strong grips for their size. But some of them can barely get a grip on a 50# Blob or 5 -10s etc. Take a lift like 2x45# plates - that's only a third of a guy that weighs 270 but it well over half of a guy who weighs 160 - that's a massive difference. And contests like the Arnold actually hurt the chances of getting smaller people into the sport - weighing 145# (like many climbers) they have no interest in competing side by side with men twice their size in normal Grip Sport competitions and being crushed in the process. I know because I talk with my climbing friends every year when I try yet again to get them to come to Gripmas (and these guys all lift weights but are not lifters - if you know what I mean). I think things are getting better - we are attracting the arm wrestling crowd in greater numbers and some of them are lighter if not really smaller guys (they let their legs shrink on purpose:)) and these guys have very strong hands. As lighter guys compete and do well - it will bring other guys that size into our sport - but it takes time and problems still remain to be worked out - for example I struggle terribly with the Gripmas Medley trying to give a new smaller guy a chance to lift anything while trying to challenge the Jedds, Andrews etc of the sport - this applies to most grip events due to hand sizes that generally run with body size (I told myself I wouldn't bring hand size into things but it's really unavoidable). It really boils down to respect - and the small guys don't get enough of it I believe. And this doesn't only apply to Grip - it exits in all the strength sports - and in life itself.

• Like 4

I am glad you said it Chris. It ALL boils down to that. I lifted with a guy for over a year that was around 6'2" with the ability to rep a 405 bench and drug free 20" arms. Yet his hands were thick and stubby. I would throw the Fatgripz on for pulldowns and he literally couldnt hold on for a single rep. The bar would rip right out of his hands and I would hit 10 reps. Take the Fatgripz off and he would add 50 pounds and smoke me...

• 1 month later...

I couldn't get the search function to work on this thread.  I searched for "hub" and it didn't even pick up the occurrence in the first post. 

Is the qualifying chance for a Hub lift plates only?  Or can you use IM Hub with weight on a pin?

5 hours ago, Cannon said:

I couldn't get the search function to work on this thread.  I searched for "hub" and it didn't even pick up the occurrence in the first post. 

Is the qualifying chance for a Hub lift plates only?  Or can you use IM Hub with weight on a pin?

I was curious about this before, only plate hubs count for this.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2016 at 5:46 PM, Electron said:

I was curious about this before, only plate hubs count for this.

Correct.  The list was designed with plates in mind.  Too much variance between IronMind hubs and limited numbers of other hubs.  Plates are everywhere - that was the thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if Jedd or Brent would be willing to consolidate clarifications into the original post.  It's confusing when some substitutions are allowed and not others.  For example: 

Answers already posted:

• Iron pipe is allowed as an axle substitute (LINK)
  • IM Hub is not allowed for hub lifts (LINK)
  • V-bar lifts must be on FBBC or LGC version (confirmed in this post)

Finally, a couple questions:

• Why not allow IM Hub as long as you still use the required plate as weight?  The lift would actually end up being overweight considering the hub and pin.
  • Why no brackets for grippers?  150# is practically a world-class feat through the 74kg class and a joke in the higher classes.  Considering the availability and popularity of grippers and the role they play in Elite totals, this chance especially should be available and scaled to all competitors.  Just throwing this out as an idea:
    59k: 120#, 66k: 135#, 74k: 140#, 83k: 150#, 93k: 155#, 105k: 160#, 120k: 165#, 120k+: 165#        

In general, thanks to the NAGS and IGC leaders who work on this stuff and maintain it.  Your efforts are greatly appreciated!  

• Like 2

On 3/30/2016 at 1:30 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

Correct.  The list was designed with plates in mind.  Too much variance between IronMind hubs and limited numbers of other hubs.  Plates are everywhere - that was the thinking.

Totally have no dog in this fight...but plates vary wayyyyyyyy more than the IM hub does.  

Some 45 hubs are unliftable, yet others can be snatched. 

That doesn't even address that fact that there are documented cases of 45lb plates being 42lbs or 48lbs.

Regardless...the way I understand the hub qualifier is that it's similar to the MM0.  It's a cool feat and a decent accomplishment, regardless if you have a 139lb or 160lb #3.

• Like 1

Will any axle do or does it have to be an Ironminds axle?