OLD Qualification List For North American Championship

Jedd Johnson

I'd like to point out a Qualification oddity.

While there seems to have been a real attempt to make things more inclusive with many of the qualifications, the Euro is wayyy out of whack.

I can qualify sixteen ways to Sunday...but certainly not via the Euro route.

There seems to be a questionable assumption that weight will directly translate to higher numbers on the Euro.

When I took a screen shot of the NAGS list (updated or not)...it's interesting to note that only the top six people in the 120k could use their lift as a qualifier, AND...not one person in the 120+ class would actually qualify (since Jedd is not longer a 120k).

A little wacky no?

jz7s.jpg

I can only speak for myself. I only started training with a Euro device in Nov of last year. I don't think 220 is unreasonable for the 120 class. If I get consistent with training it again, I don't think 220 is out of the question for AZCG or Nationals next year. There are so many ways to qualify. What makes Euro tough is not as many people have access to them as the other implements. Keep in mind those records on Aaron's db don't go back very far, either.

keep in mind that when we came up with the qual lifts we did not have that data base to look at. it's all been an initial start and has been getting adjusted as we go. I know last year someone pointed out that for their weight class they had to best the WR by 10# to get qualified. We fixed that. things are continuing to be tweaked as we go.

also, it is to get qualified for the north american championship. there are some people who aren't good enough to be there.

I can only speak for myself. I only started training with a Euro device in Nov of last year. I don't think 220 is unreasonable for the 120 class. If I get consistent with training it again, I don't think 220 is out of the question for AZCG or Nationals next year. There are so many ways to qualify. What makes Euro tough is not as many people have access to them as the other implements. Keep in mind those records on Aaron's db don't go back very far, either.

That would be great. "If" that were to happen, you would be more of an exception than anything else. The fact that the records DON'T go back far seems to bolster my point since the top finisher at NAGSC (besides Jedd) in the 120+ Category couldn't use this lift as a qualifier. I'm just pointing out a discrepancy. I'm actually aiming towards being able to achieve every single qualifying lift. While this is a long term goal, reading up upon each one led me to notice the difference.

keep in mind that when we came up with the qual lifts we did not have that data base to look at. it's all been an initial start and has been getting adjusted as we go. I know last year someone pointed out that for their weight class they had to best the WR by 10# to get qualified. We fixed that. things are continuing to be tweaked as we go.

also, it is to get qualified for the north american championship. there are some people who aren't good enough to be there.

Ah...makes sense. It just has the feel of someone taking a calculator out and using a formula to come out with these numbers. Off the cuff, I would submit that 200lbs for 120k is a reasonable number as a "qualifier". This way, someone like Parris Janusek (who's no slouch) could use it as a qualifier. (Personally, I'd still have to put 27lbs on my Euro to achieve that)

I do appreciate that this is the Championship event, but with the inclusion of so many other much, much easier qualifying feats, there seems little purpose in having it as a qualifier. If someone can pull 220 on a Euro...it's damn likely he can get in a ton of other ways...but not the other way around.

I'm not on a mission or anything...and I realize that all of this a work in progress. I'm just trying to point out something that stood out to me as "odd". You know...kind of like the "Rolling Thunder Challenge"...cough cough...I mean the "Crushed to Dust Challenge." :)

I think all of us look at the Qualifying lists and think "that one's out of whack" but it seems to be a different lift for each person depending on what you are weakest at. For me it's grippers - for the next guy this and the third guy that one. As Brent has said it is a work in progress - more contest results should give better numbers over time. But looking at it as Qualifying numbers for Nationals ask the question "how many people in each weight class should be of a high enough caliber OVERALL to go to Nationals"? It's the overall aspect I think is important here. Say you have a relatively weak 2HP but a huge axle and an average gripper - the only conclusion I draw from this is that people vary and if we look closely at who meets or exceeds qualifying standards in EVERY area - we usually see the guys who end up with trophies in their hands.

• Like 2

... if we look closely at who meets or exceeds qualifying standards in EVERY area - we usually see the guys who end up with trophies in their hands.

Absolutely. However, using the results from the last NAGC, NO ONE in either weight class can use the lift as a qualifier this year...which leads me to believe it could be adjusted some.

(I definitely don't have enough experience to pick that number, 200 simply sounded like a decent benchmark...after all...it is only considered a single qualifying lift...not a separate feat...like a #3Cert or Red Nail bend.)

120kg Class

1) Jedd Johnson (no longer anywhere near 120kg)

2) Nick Rosendaul

3) Martin Braun

4) Greg Gorecki

5) Ryan Maier

120kg+ Class

1) Brad Ardrey

2) Nick Pivato

3) Luke Rose

(either way, no skin off my back, I'm already in...just sayin')

... if we look closely at who meets or exceeds qualifying standards in EVERY area - we usually see the guys who end up with trophies in their hands.

Absolutely. However, using the results from the last NAGC, NO ONE in either weight class can use the lift as a qualifier this year...which leads me to believe it could be adjusted some.

(I definitely don't have enough experience to pick that number, 200 simply sounded like a decent benchmark...after all...it is only considered a single qualifying lift...not a separate feat...like a #3Cert or Red Nail bend.)

120kg Class

1) Jedd Johnson (no longer anywhere near 120kg)

2) Nick Rosendaul

3) Martin Braun

4) Greg Gorecki

5) Ryan Maier

120kg+ Class

1) Brad Ardrey

2) Nick Pivato

3) Luke Rose

(either way, no skin off my back, I'm already in...just sayin')

i agree.. pinch is something that has little overall correlation to high bodyweight... granted, we haven't seen any featherweight guys pulling huge weight... but 200 sounds like a decent benchmark for anyone over 93K... i don't think being 250+ makes pinching over 200 any easier

my two cents :)

• 5 weeks later...

Will NAGS be held the first weekend in June 2014? It looks like we will have 2-4 guys carpooling to NAGS from Charlotte next year. I didn't see it on either the GB calendar or here: http://www.gripsport.org/calendar.htm

We are discussing weekend coverage at work for 2014 this afternoon and I am trying to make sure I have at least the NAGS and Gripmas weekends off, thanks.

Man, I think Andrew posted the date in the thread for Nationals...

I checked with Andrew - Saturday, June 14th.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great info guys... thanks to the GB mods for answering all these questions!

Now I have a dumb, newbie one... I'm already qualified for next years nationals(.2014) If I read correctly competing in the event automatically qualifies me for the following year? (2015) Or do you have to re-qualify each year? Thanks guys!

Great info guys... thanks to the GB mods for answering all these questions!

Now I have a dumb, newbie one... I'm already qualified for next years nationals(.2014) If I read correctly competing in the event automatically qualifies me for the following year? (2015) Or do you have to re-qualify each year? Thanks guys!

Competing qualifies you for the next year.

Thanks for the clarification bud!

• 1 month later...

belatedly I have updated the NAGS C qualification list to include 1 handed elite totals expanded the placing in large weight class mega comps.

• Like 2

Jeff Parker has been added to the athlete list for 2014 NAGS C. qual'd by winning the MI grip championship.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any questions on the Qualification Standards for the NAGS CHampionship, the first post in this thread is where you need to look.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

I have a question....since Rolling Thunder is no longer a contested event but it seems Little big horn has taken its place, are there any plans to modify the criteria for qualifying?

We haven't discussed any modifications. I just saw the mention of your qualifying in jon's thread. honestly I have been lax in this. this week I will get the list of qualified athletes for 2015 started. that will include the results off KK and if i don't get moving, gripmas. once i get that done I'll be able to address other issues.

We haven't discussed any modifications. I just saw the mention of your qualifying in jon's thread. honestly I have been lax in this. this week I will get the list of qualified athletes for 2015 started. that will include the results off KK and if i don't get moving, gripmas. once i get that done I'll be able to address other issues.

Fair enough. I just wanted to bring it to the attention of those that make these kinds of decisions. Thanks brent.