OLD Qualification List For North American Championship

Jedd Johnson

On the qualification chance 2 the euro two hand pinch for my class is 180lbs the 74kg class. This is more weight than the world record! Is this correct? I don't understand why you would have to qualify on something heavier than the class WR! Just something I wanted to throw out there, I didn't know if anyone else caught that. Thanks

No they didn't. At least it wasn't brought up. Thanks for mentioning it though. The weights listed were based on a formula to a degree as well as educated guesses. Looks like the formula missed the mark by a bit. Of course, this is another reason why we have so many different ways to qualify.

what are the specifications for the 1in and 2 in vertical lift. i know they have to be 1 and 2 inch in diameter but how tall do the need to be? sorry for all the questions I am new to this. the reason i ask i want to make some vertical bars to use and quailfy on.

what are the specifications for the 1in and 2 in vertical lift. i know they have to be 1 and 2 inch in diameter but how tall do the need to be? sorry for all the questions I am new to this. the reason i ask i want to make some vertical bars to use and quailfy on.

Good question. I never thought about the fact that new folks wouldn't know the specs. Sorry for not listing them.

The vertical bars we have always used for these lifts have been either the 1-inch vertical bar from Sweden or the 1-icnh or 2-inch vertical bars from Fat Bastard Barbell Company.

I do not have the specs of these implements at hand. I can measure them, and get them to you, but the precedent has always been that the lifts be done on those specific vertical bars.

It might be easier to go after some other qualifiers. Do you think you might be close to closing the MM1 gripper? That is one of the easiest ways to qualify for Nationals.

Just an idea. You are the same fellow who asked about Block Weights and Inverted Dumbbells if I remember correctly, am I right. I commend you for your efforts to get qualified.

Also, for the video submissions, please upload them to YouTube and then send a PM to Andrew Durniat and myself. Brent Barbe (barbe705) has also volunteered to help us keep track of qualified individuals.

Thanks.

Jedd

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting question since I don't think the maximum allowable length is spelled out anywhere. As anyone really familiar with grip knows, the longer the vertical bar allowed - the more weight can be lifted to some extent. I know a few guys who have told me about training with 36" long 1" diameter vbars and the HUGE poundages they've been able to use vs. their "normal" poundages on 24" long 1" diameter (FBBC) vbars. They were using a hook grip - which is not allowed in most standard grip contests. But even without the hook, they have reported using quite a bit higher poundages because you can effectively "pin" the hand against the leg when performing the lift.

I don't think anyone is trying to "get one over" on the Grip Sport org with this question by the way. I did think it was important enough to break an 7-month hiatus of not posting here (except to congratulate Tommy on his COC cert a few days ago) to address the issue. See you guys in another 7 months maybe.

Good question. I never thought about the fact that new folks wouldn't know the specs. Sorry for not listing them.

The vertical bars we have always used for these lifts have been either the 1-inch vertical bar from Sweden or the 1-icnh or 2-inch vertical bars from Fat Bastard Barbell Company.

I do not have the specs of these implements at hand. I can measure them, and get them to you, but the precedent has always been that the lifts be done on those specific vertical bars.

• Like 1

Good points Ben. I think right noe the only Vbars we'd take would be FBBC and the LGC, which were the saeme length, at least mine were.

• 2 weeks later...

We added another qualifier for NAGS Championship - Inverted Hex Dumbbell Deadlift.

This is done by standing the dumbbell up on end and picking it up in a claw grip deadlift without digging any fingertips into the numbers or other text on the dumbbell.

Inverted Hex Dumbbell Deadlift:

59k: 40-lb Hex, 66k: 40-lb Hex, 74k: 45-lb Hex, 83k: 45-lb Hex, 93k: 50-lb Hex, 105k: 50-lb Hex, 120k: 55-lb Hex, 120+: 55-lb Hex

We added another qualifier for NAGS Championship - Inverted Hex Dumbbell Deadlift.

This is done by standing the dumbbell up on end and picking it up in a claw grip deadlift without digging any fingertips into the numbers or other text on the dumbbell.

59k: 40-lb Hex, 66k: 40-lb Hex, 74k: 45-lb Hex, 83k: 45-lb Hex, 93k: 50-lb Hex, 105k: 50-lb Hex, 120k: 55-lb Hex, 120+: 55-lb Hex

I assume this is meant to be done with a smooth metal dumbbell and not a rubberized one.

I assume this is meant to be done with a smooth metal dumbbell and not a rubberized one.

Absolutely.

• 5 weeks later...

hub lifts have been added to the feats accepted for qual lifts.

Just curious why there are no intermediate values between 35 and 45.

I compete in the 59 and can pull over 45.

Why not make the qualifier for the heavier classes at least 50?

we're trying to keep things as simple as possible. also, it depends largely on the plate you have.

Ok, I understand that you mean plate hub lifting.

At first, I understood this new qualifier to be on the ironmind hub.

Will there be any dark horse qualifying lifts the morning of the comp? :D

you can submit by video ahead of time. and there are a couple of lifts that don't require special equipment. If you show up and do the lifts before the comp you can compete(andrew has said). however, you do need to be qualified.

pm me if you need any help with this.

you can submit by video ahead of time. and there are a couple of lifts that don't require special equipment. If you show up and do the lifts before the comp you can compete(andrew has said). however, you do need to be qualified.

Thanks Brent!

Thanks Brent!

No qualifying lifts for women. Lets get Abby in as well.

• Like 1

i'm sure you would rather save your grip for the contest itself... knock them out ahead of time if you can

• 2 weeks later...

some hammer lifts have been added to the list.

• 1 month later...

for qualifications it doesn't have to be an IM axle. for records it does have to be an IM. so, if you have a rouge, silver back, whatever you can use that to get qualified.

Are homemade (black iron/conduit) pipes allowed for the axle qualification?

My personal experience is that I can lift 5 to 10 pounds more on pipe than an actual Axle.

I count only the weight on the axle for my lifts- not including the 15lbs axle itself.

Helps me gauge what my opener should be.