Tuf-foot To Toughen Up The Hands?

yummy

http://www.amazon.com/Tuf-Foot-8-oz/dp/B0002XI6GU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1341964536&sr=1-1&keywords=Tuf-Foot+-+8+oz

"The only preparation made exclusively for the foot. It is guaranteed to toughen soft, cracked, sore and tender feet. Helps protect feet against bruises and soreness. Apply daily until feet are in good condition, then twice a week."

Sure could work for hands also to help toughen them up for heavy grip training to help avoid pain/soreness. This would especially come in handy for those who like to do bending. Anyone willing to try it out as an experiment? I might buy a bottle its only 10$ so the risk isn't that big.

Edited by yummy

Anyone willing to try it out as an experiment? I might buy a bottle its only 10$ so the risk isn't that big.

The risk of screwing up my skin would keep me from trying this.

I could have sworn someone just brought this stuff up about a month ago.

Anyway the volar pads on a dog is way different than human skin so who knows what would happen. You dont want hairy palms do you?

I could have sworn someone just brought this stuff up about a month ago.

I couldn't find the thread, or maybe I just skimmed over it, but yes there was a thread about this and other ways to toughen up the skin. I don't remember what, if any, results people had though.

Toughen your hands up by squeezing grippers

Well this explains Daniels hairy palms. :chris:

Haha, you crazy Rich. Yeah I used it while bending. Many others have too. It's also popular in the military for people to use on the feet while getting used to boots. It works on humans, dogs, horses etc. It's just an ointment. Dries fast. Apply at night in a small amount before bed. A little goes a long way. It stinks a tad, that's why I say night. Also does more if it has time to absorb. Trust me, if you bend it'll be your best friend.no side effects except bending big steel without tearing skin every 5 seconds.

I've used it many times over the years. It never changed my hands over night, but with repeated use I found it did toughen up my skin. I encountered no ill effects. I used it my waterfowl dog as well. It seemed to work better on him, but I have been satisfied with it over the years. I have to admit I like the smell of it, too.

Tom

Yes it was brought up when I asked about methods to toughen the skin. I also concluded that anyone with remotely hardened hands would find a bunch of powdered rock salt within a week or two... meaning the salt crushed to powder.

Edited by hellswindstaff

I might need to give this a shot. My callouses have been pulling apart lately on the high rep pull-ups (well high rep for me anyway). I think kettlebell snatches don't help either.

I might need to give this a shot. My callouses have been pulling apart lately on the high rep pull-ups (well high rep for me anyway). I think kettlebell snatches don't help either.

You could also wrap up your hand with athletic tape before a high volume session ;)... never tried though bc I've never had that problem.

Also try shaving calluses down. That's normally the issue. I shave em once a month or so when they get too big.

Maybe I shave them too often? Usually shave them about once a week or once every two weeks.

Hmm, I dunno bro. I know it takes at least a few days for the fresh skin to toughen up. Tuff foot may help.

Also try shaving calluses down. That's normally the issue. I shave em once a month or so when they get too big.

What are you using to shave them down?

I've tried using a dremel rotary tool with these burs, but that only works for larger calluses that are particulary thick and dry (which I try to avoid). I've made a half-hearted attempt at using razor blades ... but since the worst calluses are just before the MCP (metacarpophalangeal) crease, I have trouble getting a good angle to scrape down there.

Thanks.

I just use a regular old razor. Sometimes it's a tough angle but I normally can get in there.

I use an exacto knife to shave troublesome caluses. Works like a charm. Use a fresh blade.

Tom

I use a razor knife razor (not in the handle). Works well, and knock on wood, I have not cut myself with it yet. I get thick callouses at nearly every joint on my fingers. What happens is the ones at the finger/hand joint tend to split open on the pull-up bar. The 'grain' of my skin there doesn't seem to work in my favor. I have been wrapping my pull-up bar in athletic tape to improve the friction (my pull-up bar is a home depot water pipe). I'm thinking I may strip the athletic tape and go smooth again now that my grip is a lot stronger than when I started.

• 2 months later...

Bump! I have bought a bottle of this Tuf foot. I hope it will help my hands manage more beating under periods of more high intensity grip training. So starting today I take it before I go to bed each night. Then 2 days a week. Thats anyway what the bottle said. So guys how long did it take for you before you noticed a improvement in the skin of your hands? Less wounds, calluses? Less pain maybe? My hope is that this tuf foot will toughen up the skin of my hands so I can work my grip harder and be less restrained from easily getting small hurtful wounds and such.

The absolute best way that I've found from personal experimentation to toughen ones hands

is by handling cinder blocks (specifically with a full hand pinch).

I actually discovered this by accident when I made an adjustable single hand pinch device from a concrete block

with the same texture and apparently the same material as cinder blocks. I also tried doubling up 2 cinder blocks

and doing farmers walk with them.

My hands became like leather in about 6 weeks. I mean very tough and hard. It also thickened my thenar and hypothenar muscles in my palm. I have found nothing that toughens the hands and fingers better than this method.

My wedding ring absolutely would not fit my finger any longer as well.

Few tips are in order if you plan on trying this method:

1) It's not about how much weight you can lift or carry. It's consistent use 3 or 4 times a week.

2) Use as much of your hand surface as possible. This is why I mostly used the 12" and 14" square blocks (stepping stones).

3) After you're done with each session just wash with dish washing soap and water. If you have to use any lotion at all,

use a water based solution such as Corn Huskers and use it sparingly.

I can almost guarantee this method to toughen your hands to the extreme!!!

Try it out and let me know!!!

Hope this helps!!!

• Like 1

Or you can just slap on that Tuff Foot every night right before bed. ;) I found it worked for bending the next day. Also, you really only need it on the parts you want to toughen. Will stink less and make the bottle last longer.

The absolute best way that I've found from personal experimentation to toughen ones hands

is by handling cinder blocks (specifically with a full hand pinch).

I actually discovered this by accident when I made an adjustable single hand pinch device from a concrete block

with the same texture and apparently the same material as cinder blocks. I also tried doubling up 2 cinder blocks

and doing farmers walk with them.

My hands became like leather in about 6 weeks. I mean very tough and hard. It also thickened my thenar and hypothenar muscles in my palm. I have found nothing that toughens the hands and fingers better than this method.

My wedding ring absolutely would not fit my finger any longer as well.

Few tips are in order if you plan on trying this method:

1) It's not about how much weight you can lift or carry. It's consistent use 3 or 4 times a week.

2) Use as much of your hand surface as possible. This is why I mostly used the 12" and 14" square blocks (stepping stones).

3) After you're done with each session just wash with dish washing soap and water. If you have to use any lotion at all,

use a water based solution such as Corn Huskers and use it sparingly.

I can almost guarantee this method to toughen your hands to the extreme!!!

Try it out and let me know!!!

Hope this helps!!!

i worked as a laborer for a masonry crew for a while. the first day i showed up at a new home site there was a big hole in the ground and 2 pallets loaded with 12" cinder blocks stacked head high. my job was to carry these blocks by hand to the brick layers. i don't care how strong you are, it is about impossible to carry more than 1 in each hand. it took many fast trips to keep these guys supplied with block. anyway, i showed up that day without gloves and tore the skin off my fingers. i learned that lesson the hard way. cinder blocks will toughen up your hands for sure but don't over do it. btw, brick layers gotta have very strong wrists and hands.

• 11 months later...

I saw this post and went to the tuf foot website. Apparently they have a "human formula" for sale from their site, the one on the Amazon link is their dog formula. No idea what the difference is and not much explanation, I will e-mail them and see if they give any kind of substantial answer (they don't seem to share their ingredients on their site so hopefully they'll be more forthcoming over email).

Does anyone know what's in the stuff (does it say on the bottle you have) or how it works?

Those of you who use it, do you find it helps to apply it to existing sore spots/minor blisters or should you wait until your skin is healthy to begin the toughening process with this stuff? I was thinking of getting some and just spot applying it to particular trouble spots rather than my whole hand.

Edited by truth1ness

I saw this post and went to the tuf foot website. Apparently they have a "human formula" for sale from their site, the one on the Amazon link is their dog formula. No idea what the difference is and not much explanation, I will e-mail them and see if they give any kind of substantial answer (they don't seem to share their ingredients on their site so hopefully they'll be more forthcoming over email).

Does anyone know what's in the stuff (does it say on the bottle you have) or how it works?

Those of you who use it, do you find it helps to apply it to existing sore spots/minor blisters or should you wait until your skin is healthy to begin the toughening process with this stuff? I was thinking of getting some and just spot applying it to particular trouble spots rather than my whole hand.

You should ask to ej on the benders battlefield.