If You Could Make Your Own Gripper- ...

EyalZamir

Their are two instances (individuals) that have left chokers on grippers for anywhere from 6 to 18 months with noticiable changes in the gripper function. For the sake of this question i'll keep them out of it but I will say they told me directly their experiences.

I'm not sure the exact question gents. Metal has memory, yet metal is mallable to a varying degree. Force the metal against its will for long lengths of time and it will want to conform to it to some degree. Metal form is never permanant just because heat is not added. Springs are not exempt from deformation.

My power is out so I only have time for a brief response; happy to elaborate later.

Respectfully disagree with your statements. If you were right, car suspension springs would deform gradually over time too, but they don't. They fail from fatigue, which is a different mode of degradation.

It is misleading to base your statements on anecdotal evidence, yet present the statements as facts.

That said, it would indeed be great if somebody with a RGC setup would perform the sweep test you suggest.

Respectfully disagree with your statements. If you were right, car suspension springs would deform gradually over time too, but they don't. They fail from fatigue, which is a different mode of degradation.

I fail to see the difference here. I can say my car springs are softer than they were new, and I've changed a few sets on a few vehicles over the years. So you're saying they can soften up over standard use over time but not from being held closed over time?

I fail to see the difference here. I can say my car springs are softer than they were new, and I've changed a few sets on a few vehicles over the years. So you're saying they can soften up over standard use over time but not from being held closed over time?

No, they get damaged from repeated load cycles (fatigue damage), but the damage manifests itself through crack initiation and crack-growth, not measurable deformation (until very near to end-of-life).

Joe, like I said there are two aspects to take into consideration, the feel and the rating. And as I described, one guy in particular claimed the sweep was softer but the close felt the same. His gripper was a #2.5. Please take into consideration the entire text. If you want to try the expirement use a gripper in your upper closing range. I think that'll give the best feel noticability.

Daniel, after some thought I've come to realize that the "feel" of the sweep is something subjective that I can't quantify in my experiment.

There's too many variables that could affect the "feel" of the sweep. What matters to me in a testing environment is verification through

repeat experiments, and quantification. I can't quantify something as subjective as the "feel" of tension in a hand gripper. This is the main

problem with dealing with the subjective. What one feels may not feel the same to the next. The "feel" could be different dependent upon so

many variables such as your state of mind, sleep deprivation, temperature, humidity, etc...

Does this make sense?

I'm all open to doing experiments but it has to be from an objective stand point. I can't test the subjective.

Sorry!

• 3 weeks later...

I would really like for someone (Adam if possible) to help me understand what Adam means here:

Quote: "final one which I can't figure out how the design would be go is with a setting to train the first knuckles movement for thumb reposition. if you could load that on a gripper your hand strength for closing would explode."

I would like to experiment on his idea here but I can't figure out what he means here.

Thanks in advance! :)

I would really like for someone (Adam if possible) to help me understand what Adam means here:

Quote: "final one which I can't figure out how the design would be go is with a setting to train the first knuckles movement for thumb reposition. if you could load that on a gripper your hand strength for closing would explode."

I would like to experiment on his idea here but I can't figure out what he means here.

"final one which I can't figure out how the design would be go is with a setting to train the first knuckles movement for thumb reposition. if you could load that on a gripper your hand strength for closing would explode."

I would like to know what he is talking about as well.

Edited by hellswindstaff

"final one which I can't figure out how the design would be go is with a setting to train the first knuckles movement for thumb reposition. if you could load that on a gripper your hand strength for closing would explode."

I would like to know what he is talking about as well.

Maybe Matt can enlighten us on this?

Adam may have shared this idea with him.

I finally figured out what Adam is talking about after discovering what he's calling the first knuckles.

Many people call the distal joints of the fingers the first knuckle (incorrectly BTW).

I have several ideas to work this area without using a gripper but uses the identical motion as

one would with a gripper.

Probably have to do a future video because explaining this in writing would probably be a mess! LOL!

I strongly agree with Adam here that strengthening this area should (purpose of experiments) cause your

gripper crushing strength to explode!

I'm off to experimenting with this!

I finally figured out what Adam is talking about after discovering what he's calling the first knuckles.

Many people call the distal joints of the fingers the first knuckle (incorrectly BTW).

I have several ideas to work this area without using a gripper but uses the identical motion as

Probably have to do a future video because explaining this in writing would probably be a mess! LOL!

I strongly agree with Adam here that strengthening this area should (purpose of experiments) cause your

So the joints by the fingertips or the knuckles that you would punch someone with... I'm still confused.

So the joints by the fingertips or the knuckles that you would punch someone with... I'm still confused.

They're actually not called knuckles, they're joints. They are named Proximal interphalangeal joints. Which are in between

the joints (Distal interphalangeal) of the fingertips and the knuckles (Metacarpophalangeal joints) you would punch with.

Hope this helps!

They're actually not called knuckles, they're joints. They are named Proximal interphalangeal joints. Which are in between

the joints (Distal interphalangeal) of the fingertips and the knuckles (Metacarpophalangeal joints) you would punch with.

Hope this helps!

I'm not even sure how a device like that would be possible or perhaps my imagination has run dry :getlost:

Joe, like I said there are two aspects to take into consideration, the feel and the rating. And as I described, one guy in particular claimed the sweep was softer but the close felt the same. His gripper was a #2.5. Please take into consideration the entire text. If you want to try the expirement use a gripper in your upper closing range. I think that'll give the best feel noticability.

Daniel, after some thought I've come to realize that the "feel" of the sweep is something subjective that I can't quantify in my experiment.

There's too many variables that could affect the "feel" of the sweep. What matters to me in a testing environment is verification through

repeat experiments, and quantification. I can't quantify something as subjective as the "feel" of tension in a hand gripper. This is the main

problem with dealing with the subjective. What one feels may not feel the same to the next. The "feel" could be different dependent upon so

many variables such as your state of mind, sleep deprivation, temperature, humidity, etc...

Does this make sense?

I'm all open to doing experiments but it has to be from an objective stand point. I can't test the subjective.

Sorry!

Don't want to misinterpret what Daniel is saying here, but I think he is using the term "rating" in the strictest sense: rating at close (when the handles touch). The "feel" of the sweep is a qualitative way of describing the sweep being weaker, for the part of the sweep that is beyond the choked position.

There seems to be general agreement that the gripper close (which is within the range of motion (ROM) of the gripper that is allowed when choked) remains the same. What Daniel is suggesting is that the ROM outside the choked position becomes weaker.

The most difficult part of an experiment would be to do RGC testing, not to the closed position, but to a consistent handle distance that's the same (or minimally wider) as that achieved by choking.