If You Could Make Your Own Gripper- ...

EyalZamir

Guest Squat More

No need to cuss man, I myself curse like a sailor but seriously, it's a message board.

Some people train grip for grip comps, some for making their deadlift stronger, some people train grip for fun because they enjoy it. Who are you to tell folks not to worry about competitions? Just because you do not compete does not mean everyone else should take the same stance as you.

And for the record, I do not compete in grip sport and probably never will, but at the same time the people who are the strongest on grippers, pinch, thick bar etc. all compete. Food for thought.

• Like 1

No need to cuss man, I myself curse like a sailor but seriously, it's a message board.

Some people train grip for grip comps, some for making their deadlift stronger, some people train grip for fun because they enjoy it. Who are you to tell folks not to worry about competitions? Just because you do not compete does not mean everyone else should take the same stance as you.

And for the record, I do not compete in grip sport and probably never will, but at the same time the people who are the strongest on grippers, pinch, thick bar etc. all compete. Food for thought.

im not judging anyone.

you got me wrong, what i was tring to say is whatever pros you got you dont need to show off and say look at me im the best!

just know that you are the best and keep it to yourself. and in contests the people wants to win just to " show off " and "say" im the best.

im saying what im saying just to maybe help a little and maybe some little words to learn a big thing from them.

dont use a shield if no one attacking you Squat more.

have a good night buddy

Guest Squat More

We train to be strong.

Competing in a competition against other guys who train to be strong lets you know how strong you really are.

Competitions let you judge your own strength against someone else who has the same goals and aspiritions as you do, also people make great friends this way.

also competition can bring out the best in people, give an adrenaline spike, cause some kind of PR which was otherwise unattainable to you up until that point.

And I don't see anything wrong with someone training to be the best at something then reaching it in a competition and taking pride in it. There is a difference between being great and happy yet humble, and someone who is rude about it.

• Like 1

We train to be strong.

Competing in a competition against other guys who train to be strong lets you know how strong you really are.

Competitions let you judge your own strength against someone else who has the same goals and aspiritions as you do, also people make great friends this way.

also competition can bring out the best in people, give an adrenaline spike, cause some kind of PR which was otherwise unattainable to you up until that point.

And I don't see anything wrong with someone training to be the best at something then reaching it in a competition and taking pride in it. There is a difference between being great and happy yet humble, and someone who is rude about it.

never thought about it this way... agreed

F*** competitions! common guys. what are we really training for? winning a contest? as long as the gripper help you to develop your hand strength then the gripper is fine!

all the stuff that i see in the internet of rules makes me laugh...winning a contest is to prove to others who you are, to know who you are and what you really worth is a thing you need to settle with yourself. lets start to prove things to ourself and not to ohters!:]

Ah yes, the mark of generation me.

"I dont have to prove anything, I know I'm the best."

good luck with that attitude.

• Like 1

F*** competitions! common guys. what are we really training for? winning a contest? as long as the gripper help you to develop your hand strength then the gripper is fine!

all the stuff that i see in the internet of rules makes me laugh...winning a contest is to prove to others who you are, to know who you are and what you really worth is a thing you need to settle with yourself. lets start to prove things to ourself and not to ohters!:]

Ah yes, the mark of generation me.

"I dont have to prove anything, I know I'm the best."

good luck with that attitude.

each one of us is the best! everyone has pros and cons and no one is like the other thats what makes each one of us speciel.

there is no best... there will always better

good and bad is something that comparative! the weakest man in the world is the strongest compare to the ant ... the strongest ant is the world could be weak near human. " in the land of the blind the 1 eyed man is a king"

so proving ourself to be the best is really nothing. just be happy with what you got and do the best that you can.

the only thing i'd change is handle spread. 45-50mm would be ideal IMO. think about it--handle spread is really the crux of all the controversy. "setting" is largely what makes grip a fringe, esoteric sport/hobby. it's possible that more people would be interested if it were more of a pure test of strength than a very specific combination of technique and strength. not having to worry about setting the gripper would allow us to shut up, squeeze the grippers, and drink more beer afterward... :ph34r:

I agree. If I were to make my own set of grippers, I'd make them specifically for TNS. Just pick it up and squeeze. Then you don't have to worry about hand size, swiping blocks or credit cards in between the handles, etc.

Same with torsion grippers. Leave it in a choker and that choked portion (sweep) will soften up. Some claim the finish can maintain strength though, but I've also seen otherwise. Good rule of thumb, chokers don't hurt your equipment as long as you remove it when you're done.

Daniel,

I'd like to understand what your basis for this claim is.

If it were true, extremely well established laws of materials science would be violated.

Same with torsion grippers. Leave it in a choker and that choked portion (sweep) will soften up. Some claim the finish can maintain strength though, but I've also seen otherwise. Good rule of thumb, chokers don't hurt your equipment as long as you remove it when you're done.

Daniel,

I'd like to understand what your basis for this claim is.

If it were true, extremely well established laws of materials science would be violated.

I agree here Magnus.

Unless an outside source of energy (heat) is added the laws regarding the behavior of torsion springs

should remain in place.

Their are two instances (individuals) that have left chokers on grippers for anywhere from 6 to 18 months with noticiable changes in the gripper function. For the sake of this question i'll keep them out of it but I will say they told me directly their experiences.

I'm not sure the exact question gents. Metal has memory, yet metal is mallable to a varying degree. Force the metal against its will for long lengths of time and it will want to conform to it to some degree. Metal form is never permanant just because heat is not added. Springs are not exempt from deformation.

if I could make my own gripper not only would it have the little light going off to indicate a close it would also have a readout telling me how far apart the handles were for a near miss.

seriously, the deathgripper with the parallel set mod would have been a winner so that would be number one mod for me for the Vulcan.

Their are two instances (individuals) that have left chokers on grippers for anywhere from 6 to 18 months with noticiable changes in the gripper function. For the sake of this question i'll keep them out of it but I will say they told me directly their experiences.

I'm not sure the exact question gents. Metal has memory, yet metal is mallable to a varying degree. Force the metal against its will for long lengths of time and it will want to conform to it to some degree. Metal form is never permanant just because heat is not added. Springs are not exempt from deformation.

Noob Saibot (Paul) has posted about this a couple of times. I get the impression his career deals with this kind of thing. Here is what he said:

To to add a bit of fairly worthless information... I work as a structural analyst, and there is no mechanism by which leaving a gripper in a choker for an extended period would affect it any more than putting it in the choker then taking it straight back out. The only time dependent material property of metal is 'creep', but this doesn't occur below ~500C.

Indeed.

....About the Vulcan V2 gripper. I have modified my 'old' version of the Vulcan the way Bill Hayes invented, the drilled hole and stuff.

Isn't it possible than to do the same with the V2? Take the spring off, put the handles to parallel and the drill a small hole just above the pivot-point?

Than a thin screw / pin throught the hole and ready. Again, I don't have the V2 but it seems to me that it should do the trick. I never let my Vulcan choked

by the way, that's the benefit of choking it this way, you don't have to fumble around with a vice and hoseclamp to choke it. Just put one handle on the ground, push and put the pin through.

Edited by Geralt

Noob Saibot (Paul) has posted about this a couple of times. I get the impression his career deals with this kind of thing. Here is what he said:

To to add a bit of fairly worthless information... I work as a structural analyst, and there is no mechanism by which leaving a gripper in a choker for an extended period would affect it any more than putting it in the choker then taking it straight back out. The only time dependent material property of metal is 'creep', but this doesn't occur below ~500C.

Explain spring seasoning, and even gradual spring weakening over time of HGs and GNCs. Also why would Rich's spring on his V2 drop SOOO much just by a couple tests of it. I tried his V2 and tested spring. It was crazy weaker than normal.

Springs get weak. I think there are two aspects of spring deformation. One is dimesional, the other is memory or poundage related. The memory and poundage can be changed with use, no???? So why would a choker (100% usage over time!) not wear a gripper down?

I challenge someone to squeeze and rate a gripper, slap a choker on it, wait 6 months then rate and feel the difference in the sweep of that gripper. I'm serious BTW.

This is as far as I go on this subject. Hypothetical talk bothers me. This would be an easy test. Two others made claims to their gripper experience already. Someone prove me wrong with an experiment.

Acorn has experimented with some stuff that would be cool and I would like to see in production.

His adjustable Tetting grippers are worth their weight in gold. This could be put into production.

He has made grippers with an LED in the handle that only lights if the handles touch. This would be great for contests too.

Paul described the light in the handle, that is pretty cool.

from a mechanics point - the finger pressure gripper Joe sold is probably one of the smarter ideas.

A gripper with a curved handle would be #2

The Vulcan (first model) is pretty close to what i would want for fully designed, but with setting for narrow/medium/wide starting points

final one which I can't figure out how the design would be go is with a setting to train the first knuckles movement for thumb reposition. if you could load that on a gripper your hand strength for closing would explode.

Adam, I appreciate your comment on the FP Gripper I designed!

Your suggestion of a curved handle gripper could change the meaning of "beyond the range" training.

I have a pair of plastic handle grippers with these curved handles and the whole ROM is out of this world!

I'm wondering if I could use these handles as a mold for someone to make me some steel or aluminum handles

and have Warren attach some torsion springs to the handles and see what happens?

Concerning part of your last statement, "setting to train the first knuckles movement for thumb reposition"

I don't quite understand what you mean here but if you'd explain in more detail I will do some experiments with your idea

with your full credit.

I like how you're thinking here Adam and I think you're onto something. I just need a clearer picture of what you mean.

Thanks in advance!!!

Daniel, I've already done what you're suggesting with a choked gripper.

I had a #3 that I had choked for nearly year that Eric had rated at 151 lbs.

After I removed the choker I had him rate it again and it came out the same.

If you'd like I have another (NEW) #3 I just rated myself (5 different times)

and it rated at 154.2 lbs. I will choke this gripper today and 6 months later

I will rate it once again. Doesn't hurt to test repeatability, uhh?

Lastly, for those that are not familiar with the FP Gripper I designed (no longer for sale)

here's a pic from my gallery of the 3 different strengths I had made:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=9255

If you'd like I have another (NEW) #3 I just rated myself (5 different times)

and it rated at 154.2 lbs. I will choke this gripper today and 6 months later

I will rate it once again. Doesn't hurt to test repeatability, uhh?

Joe I believe Daniel is suggesting it will make a difference in the sweep, not the rating.

You might want to get a "rating" for CCS width and maybe parallel as well so you'd have three numbers to check once taking it out of the choker.

Joe, like I said there are two aspects to take into consideration, the feel and the rating. And as I described, one guy in particular claimed the sweep was softer but the close felt the same. His gripper was a #2.5. Please take into consideration the entire text. If you want to try the expirement use a gripper in your upper closing range. I think that'll give the best feel noticability.

Matt and Daniel, I apologize for my not paying attention to the whole context.

I will do what Matt suggested as this makes sense.

This is turning out to be a GREAT thread!

• Like 1

Guest Squat More

....About the Vulcan V2 gripper. I have modified my 'old' version of the Vulcan the way Bill Hayes invented, the drilled hole and stuff.

Isn't it possible than to do the same with the V2? Take the spring off, put the handles to parallel and the drill a small hole just above the pivot-point?

Than a thin screw / pin throught the hole and ready. Again, I don't have the V2 but it seems to me that it should do the trick. I never let my Vulcan choked

by the way, that's the benefit of choking it this way, you don't have to fumble around with a vice and hoseclamp to choke it. Just put one handle on the ground, push and put the pin through.

The new and Old version of the Vulcan are a bit different. With the V2 there is no place to drill a hole and put in a pin where the gripper could be held at parallel or a CCS. I am too stupid to explain exactly why but if you look at how the old version is compared to the newer in pictures and how it closes you will probably see what I mean.

Though as I said, I do have an idea for a piece to add to the vulcan that would allow you to lock it into position for a parallel set for training and easily remove it after ward, without any drilling or fabrication work to the V2 itself. My friend JT Straussner is going to give making this idea of mine a go when he has the extra time, if it works I will for sure post it here, unless he decides to.

I would like a gripper that has one rotating handle for the finger side and a fixed handle for the palm side. Both handles would be knurled like GHP has the knurling.

I had a COC1.5 finger side handle come loose when I was working out. It felt REALY good.

Warren has a few were both handles rotate but having the palm side rotate makes the gripper way harder to close.

This is a great link. It shows that RS knows he has to up the anti because of the GHP grippers. The GHP grippers are better and he knows it. The knurling differences between the palm side and finger side was mentioned and I think its one of the best features of the GHP. Looks like it will happen with the IM grippers, maybe just as an option.

I am thankful that grippers will be stepping up to a higher level soon and I think it is because of the competition Wade introduced. Thanks Wade!

here's a topic from IM from last year called Future Gripper Features => http://www.ironmind-...ripper-features

right you are Rich!

COC's are an outstanding product and I don't think anyone would disagree, nonetheless it's good to see that IM are considering the future and what is possible. gripsters want more and the GHPs demonstrate that. I love what GHPs and COCs bring to the table

(edit: oh yeah - the linked topic is from this year)

Edited by chilliman64