If You Could Make Your Own Gripper- ...

EyalZamir

No greater than a 2.75" spread.

Good knurl on the palm side (but not stupid sharp) - little to no knurl on the finger side.

No greater than a 2.75" spread.

Good knurl on the palm side (but not stupid sharp) - little to no knurl on the finger side.

reminds me the rb deluxe gripper

rb-deluxe-hand-gripper-1.jpg

I think most ideas are made up to this point...there are TSG's in all sorts of measures and sizes...knurling and so on...

The Vulcan is still the most cool idea in my opinion...the only thing it could use maybe is an 'chokingpin' option, without having

someone having to alter the gripper by himself. Plateloaders...you name it. There is everything a man needs to get strong.

Thickbars...I honestly could not think what kind of item could be revolutional..maybe an adjustable thickbar that can be folded

into an adjustable gripper that can be taken out in pieces which on their turn make an rolling thunder? :) That would be cool. Anyone? haha

Acorn has experimented with some stuff that would be cool and I would like to see in production.

His adjustable Tetting grippers are worth their weight in gold. This could be put into production.

He has made grippers with an LED in the handle that only lights if the handles touch. This would be great for contests too.

Acorn has experimented with some stuff that would be cool and I would like to see in production.

His adjustable Tetting grippers are worth their weight in gold. This could be put into production.

He has made grippers with an LED in the handle that only lights if the handles touch. This would be great for contests too.

Paul described the light in the handle, that is pretty cool.

from a mechanics point - the finger pressure gripper Joe sold is probably one of the smarter ideas.

A gripper with a curved handle would be #2

The Vulcan (first model) is pretty close to what i would want for fully designed, but with setting for narrow/medium/wide starting points

final one which I can't figure out how the design would be go is with a setting to train the first knuckles movement for thumb reposition. if you could load that on a gripper your hand strength for closing would explode.

Thanks Matt, I got a few toys in the pipeline but I don't know that I would ever have time to do a full blown production unless I farmed the machining and assembly out. Which I really have no interest in doing right now. I sure is awfully fun thinking up new training equipment though to fit specific needs. You should see my notebook. :D

The first light up gripper will be going to Paul when I get it done. A conversation we had sparked the idea for me and development. That and I've had his adjustable BBSE for over 2 years I think which is going to be the recipient of the mod. The top placings at my last AZ cactus grip comp still have some grippers coming to them too as prizes. Will be custom Brass handled BB adjustables and possibly with light up mod. I've got all of the materials on hand already, just need to find some time to finish a last couple of CAD drawings for the light up module ( the light pipe lens I need to mold and a battery retainment piece ). Circuit boards are already made, microcontrollers firmware already written and tested and the prototype mockup seemed to work well. Now its just a matter of time.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 2

Thanks Matt, I got a few toys in the pipeline but I don't know that I would ever have time to do a full blown production unless I farmed the machining and assembly out. Which I really have no interest in doing right now. I sure is awfully fun thinking up new training equipment though to fit specific needs. You should see my notebook. :D

The first light up gripper will be going to Paul when I get it done. A conversation we had sparked the idea for me and development. That and I've had his adjustable BBSE for over 2 years I think which is going to be the recipient of the mod. The top placings at my last AZ cactus grip comp still have some grippers coming to them too as prizes. Will be custom Brass handled BB adjustables and possibly with light up mod. I've got all of the materials on hand already, just need to find some time to finish a last couple of CAD drawings for the light up module ( the light pipe lens I need to mold and a battery retainment piece ). Circuit boards are already made, microcontrollers firmware already written and tested and the prototype mockup seemed to work well. Now its just a matter of time.

- Aaron

How much do you sell the adjustable BBs for without the light up mod Aaron? Sounds like a great gripper to have.

I made my first double resistance gripper 2 years ago. We know same times gripper handles "sit" not equal, like this CoC 1.5 on the picture, has difference ~3mm, for big springs 2-3mm can be huge!

x_d2b20f4d.jpgx_e691f8d0.jpg

x_bb2f64d3.jpg

x_1669f041.jpg

Chez,

Sorry they are not currently for sale. Not until I can get caught up on a few things and make sure the mod process is sufficiently streamlined. When I stopped taking orders a couple years back it was taking me sometimes up to 2 months or more to get them done for people and I wasn't comfortable with that. I have fairly minimal free time unfortunately to work on things and with the time intensive way I was originally doing these it just did not work. I've been working on the light up gripper idea for over 3 yrs I think. A bit here and there as I can and I get the bug. I really wish I was retired with a nice shop and could let my mad inventor side run free!

So at this point if you want one of those adjustables you have to talk somebody who owns one into selling it, or wait for me to get my butt in gear and remind me you want one when I do.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Thanks for the response dude. I probably should wait to buy more grippers anyway. Its good the temptation isn't there. I'm such a gripper junkie. Its a disease that is burning a hole in my pocket.

the only thing i'd change is handle spread. 45-50mm would be ideal IMO. think about it--handle spread is really the crux of all the controversy. "setting" is largely what makes grip a fringe, esoteric sport/hobby. it's possible that more people would be interested if it were more of a pure test of strength than a very specific combination of technique and strength. not having to worry about setting the gripper would allow us to shut up, squeeze the grippers, and drink more beer afterward... :ph34r:

If I could Modify my V2 Vulcan to lock it into a parallel set position, I'd be happy.

I've seen people mod their V2s to do that. Do some checking around. From what I've seen it's a quick temporary mod.

Guest Squat More

Really? I was aware that this was possible on the older version of the Vulcan but not the V2. Thanks man, I will use the trusty old search function.

Really? I was aware that this was possible on the older version of the Vulcan but not the V2. Thanks man, I will use the trusty old search function.

Not 100% sure but I've seen mods, unsure whether they were v1 or v2.

Also, one can just slide up a big washer over the handles, It'll be out of the way (at top of the hand) unlike a hose clamp.

Here's the deathgrip version:

http://griptraining.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/vulcan-death-grip-1.jpg

http://griptraining.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/vulcan-death-grip-41.jpg

Guest Squat More

I've seen the mods on the older version of the Vulcan on David's forum, looking at my V2 I don't know how it could be done really.

I've seen the mods on the older version of the Vulcan on David's forum, looking at my V2 I don't know how it could be done really.

I'm sure there's a way, somehow. Might have to take to a welder to help make it happen. Shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks.

The first batch of David's vulcan gripper was an easy mod - just drill two holes for parallel and CC widths and use a small allen wrench to lock it in place. Not sure what the V2 looks like, but if it is anything like the RB adjustable then small pieces of 'U' shaped metal would do the trick to get different various handle spreads. A rubber band could hold the spacer in place so you are not having to re-set the spacer after every squeeze.

• Like 1

I had a really great and simple idea for making the set width adjustable on the V1 but never got around to doing it. I didn't really want to modify mine at that point since we were using it in the WSH contest. I'm not sure that I have used it more than once or twice since the last time I used it in a comp in 2010 though.

- Aaron

Given what Rich published about the spring seasoning, I would think that choking the Vulcan might impact the spring health. Particularly if one left it choked for extended periods of time.

Guest Squat More

That's why the old V1 modified versions were made to lock into a parallel or CCS width and unlock just as easy once you were finished training.

I have got something in mind right now for the V2 that would make an easy mod without actually being a mod to the Vulcan itself. I am going to ask Mr. Straussner to give it a go since he has the steel working experience that my useless self does not.

Given what Rich published about the spring seasoning, I would think that choking the Vulcan might impact the spring health. Particularly if one left it choked for extended periods of time.

Same with torsion grippers. Leave it in a choker and that choked portion (sweep) will soften up. Some claim the finish can maintain strength though, but I've also seen otherwise. Good rule of thumb, chokers don't hurt your equipment as long as you remove it when you're done.

I gave a lot of thought to making the GHP's 2.5 or 2.75 but ultimately settled on 3" because I just think that a 3" gripper feels "springy" in the hand and a narrow gripper feels like a brick. I don't think people will ever agree on what spread is "fair" so I just went with the geometry I thought would make the best feeling gripper and assumed everyone was going to set anyway so came up with the 1.5 inch block as the challenge distance. I have some ideas for a narrow set possibly down the road that would be different than what is out there now. I would only do this if the resistance could be held very tight so they could be used as a competition set. A lot of ideas - not much time!

Wade

F*** competitions! common guys. what are we really training for? winning a contest? as long as the gripper help you to develop your hand strength then the gripper is fine!

all the stuff that i see in the internet of rules makes me laugh...winning a contest is to prove to others who you are, to know who you are and what you really worth is a thing you need to settle with yourself. lets start to prove things to ourself and not to ohters!:]