Misc. Mayhem

bwwm

Traveling today, so not as good of a workout, and kind of a hodge podge:

Pullups: 5, 12, 10, 10

Leg curls < just horsing around.

Calf raises < ditto

DB work: 40# dbs tris/bis/press 2 x 10 each < just getting the blood flowing

KB swings: 53#; 30:30; 18 rep/int; 7 intervals < this smoked me, and my back also tightened up at the end having done squats last night.

Today:

DB OHP: 83# 9 x 8 both hands

2HP: 119# x 10; 179# 4, 5, 5, 5, 2 < skin was wearing thin on last set. May have to switch to thin leather gloves for reps.

Today:

DB Work: tris/bis/press 40# x 10; 55# x 10

KBRows: 133# 4 x 12

Today:

DB Work: tris/bis/press 40# x 10; 55# x 10

KBRows: 133# 4 x 12

Big kettlebell!

It's actually a 123# that I have that I attach 10# plates to, to bring it up to the weight I want to row. I like it because I can get a full range of motion, whereas a DB would stop me short.

Swiss Bar OHP: 125# x 8; 185# 5, 5, 5, 4, 3 < wasn't feelin' 100% today. Too much craziness this week with work I guess.

Grippers: worked up to CoC#3: R: 4 5 5 5 5; L: 4, 5, 4, 4, 4 < not sure what was going on with left

Unstable Bench: 135# & two 45's hanging from bands, 5 x 5

2" DB Holds 165#: 5 sets ranging from 7-10 secs.

Also working on my COC#3 20mm close videos. Figured out a couple things 1.) I need to stop wearing my sunglasses, cuz I'm not seeing the video screen as well, and 2.) I found a different auto-focus mode after I shot these, it should point-focus better, instead of trying to optimize the whole image. 3.) I need to do a better job getting the set on video

[\media]

[\media]
  • Like 2

So far today:

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 295# 5 x 5 < pretty excited about this. On to 305# next week assuming my shoulder doesn't start barking.

on to squats....

• Like 2

Turday: Travelling for work again, and using a gym far, far away, with not much to speak of.

Pull Ups: BW: 5 BW+53#; 5, 5, 4, 3 < people were shocked and started talking about how crazy it was, and "that's like those guys doing 1 arm PUs on the internet". #1 - I don't have the power/weight ratio like my 1 arm PU friends here, and #2 these guys at work need to set their sights higher

Did a bunch of random stuff with machines & light dumbbells.

KBSwings: 53# KB; 36:36; 18 r/i; 8 intervals < after deadlifting Sunday, Squats Monday, this is all my posterior could handle

• Like 1

So far today:

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 295# 5 x 5 < pretty excited about this. On to 305# next week assuming my shoulder doesn't start barking.

on to squats....

Maaaaartin. Wheeeeere's the squaaaaaaats?

Oh, and great benching bud!

Edited by Shoggoth
  • Like 1

Jason - you know my squats suck, but since you asked:

135# x 10; 225# x 5; 285# 3 x 5 :sorcerer:

There are feeling stronger, but my hip mobility is still a factor.

• Like 1

Jason - you know my squats suck, but since you asked:

135# x 10; 225# x 5; 285# 3 x 5 :sorcerer:

There are feeling stronger, but my hip mobility is still a factor.

There ya go. You need to log this stuff too so you can track your progress and we can give you crap if you're not pushing them enough haha!

• Like 3

Today:

Bench: worked up to 305# 5 x 3 < felt surprisingly good, but with travel, etc earlier this week, hadn't been working the shoulders much anyways

Squat: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 285# 3 x 5; < hips were all seized up from sitting on planes this week. Had to do a lot of hip flexor stretching & goblet squats just to get this

• Like 1

Today:

Bench: worked up to 305# 5 x 3 < felt surprisingly good, but with travel, etc earlier this week, hadn't been working the shoulders much anyways

Squat: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 285# 3 x 5; < hips were all seized up from sitting on planes this week. Had to do a lot of hip flexor stretching & goblet squats just to get this

Have you ever tried some compression shorts like Rehbands to help with the hips and hammies? I find they really help me warm-up.

• Like 1

Have you ever tried some compression shorts like Rehbands to help with the hips and hammies? I find they really help me warm-up.

My hips are a wreck from sitting for work all the time, and planes are the worst. I think the compression shorts would help along with knee wraps, but what I really need to do is work in a 2nd day of squats again, and also get my sled out and do more sled pulls forward & reverse.

My hips are a wreck from sitting for work all the time, and planes are the worst. I think the compression shorts would help along with knee wraps, but what I really need to do is work in a 2nd day of squats again, and also get my sled out and do more sled pulls forward & reverse.

I'm on my ass all day for work as well. About a month or so I bought a Veri-Desk too which allows me to stand when I work. Switching back and forth helps my back and such a lot.

Today:

DB 1 arm OHP: 83# 9 x 8 < can't wait to get to 7 x 10 so I can move up weight & drop volume :sick:

2HP: 119# x 10 179# 4, 4, 4, 3, 2 < thumbs tearing up further away from the joint. Need to get the wood trainers going this weekend.

You really crank up the volume, Martin! Is your last set normally near a max effort?

Hi Eric, thanks for the encouragement!

Normally on 2HP, I was getting a pretty consistent 5 sets of 4 reps with the 179#, but the skin has been coming apart on my thumbs. I don't do a lot of 1RM work anymore, I usually just try to build volume on the 80% stuff and slowly increase volume till I can move the weight up a little. I find my biggest challenge with training has to do with joint health. If I can keep the joints healthy, then I can make slow, steady progress. If I start doing much 1RM stuff, then my joints start barking and I regress in my training.

• Like 1

Today:

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 305# 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2 < building some volume with more sets before I go for 5 x 4

Squat: 135# x 10; 225# x 5; 285# 3 x 5

• Like 2

Today's workout was so pathetic it's not worth mentioning. Moral of the story - I like really ripe peaches, but my GI tract does not.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday:

DB 1 arm OHP: 90# 12 x 5 bh

one hand pinch holds for time. Did about 12 holds for time ranging from 10-15 secs. Don't know what the weight was, cuz it was on a stack at a crappy fitness center.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't posted for a while, but have been working out nonetheless.

Bench: 135# x 10; 225# x 6; 305# 5 x 4 < This is the 2nd week in a row I have been able to hit this. After a third week, I may try for 5, 5, 4, 4, 4

Squat: 135# 3 x 10; 185# 3 x 5 < left hip was seriously messed up again, so starting over with squats.

• Like 3

Terday:

KBRows: 153# 4 x 8 bh

Dimels: 225# & 40# of chain: conventional x 17, sumo x 17

Squats: 135# x 15

Been doing a lot of low weight, high volume work on DLs & Squats throughout the week to fix my left hip. Don't get old, it sucks! ;-)

Tooday:

DB 1 arm OHP: 89# 10 x 7 bh

2HP: 184# 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 < been a while since I pulled this much, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Today:

Swiss Bar : 125# 6 x 8 < deload, cuz I fried my shoulders on Wed with the high vol 89# workout

Grippers: Tetting SM Adjustable (to 1/16th of spring): R 6 x 8 L 5x8, 7

Did some other work on bentover shrugs & goblet squats for mobility & recovery.

• Like 1