Misc. Mayhem

bwwm

Swiss bar everything you were hoping for?

So far, so good. I like it because of it's versatility. I can do curls & triceps supersetted, and I like the fact that I can do close grip military presses with it. It would be hard to do those with an Oly bar. I think those will help me when I'm trying to press Atlas stones overhead.

• Like 1

Today:

DBPresses: 93# 5 x (1,2,3)

Swiss Bar: 102.5# curls 4 x 6, skull crushers 4 x 6, close grip military press 3 x 6, 8

Back Squats: 95# 2 x 10; 135# 2 x 10; 185# 2 x 5 < video'd these, and the form is looking good, need a little more depth to be PL legal

DB Rows: 113# 5 x 10

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday:

After NAGS championships...

Strict KB pressed Andrew's 106# Valery Federenko kb, so that was kind of a PR, since it's the heaviest one I have pressed so far (my 106 is really only 103). In retrospect, I think he had 2 there, I wish I had gone for the double kb press.

Was messing around with Andrew's Inch db, and was definitely getting a little bit of daylight under that thing. I would really like to get an Inch db and train it, but the budget is not going to allow it for sometime.

Today:

Post-hab, easy workout...

DB Presses: 93# 2-3 singles per side < I was doing push-ups in the airport yesterday, I was so board waiting for my plane, and now my upper back is a little sore.

DB Rows: 93# 3 x 10

Back Squats: 95# x 20, 135# x 10, 185# x 5 < ROM is getting better all the time

Sledge hammers: did sup & pro work to get the blood moving & help with recovery, I have some good bruising going on from trying to reverse bend the 5/16" in the medley.

Today:

Continues to be 'monkey-around week' after the comp.

Wide grip bench: 135# 2 x 10, 185# 2 x 10

Zercher squats: 95# x 20, 135# x 10, 155# x 5, 185# 2 x 5

Rolling Thunder: worked up to 155# both hands. Then PR'd Lefty at 175# in plates. Was real close righty. Think this is going to be something I train more often.

• Like 1

Today:

KB Snatches: 53#; 36:36; 16 reps/ int; 8 intervals

Swiss bar: 92.5# 3x6 curls, tri ext, close grip military press

• 1 month later...

Will try to get this going again...

Last week, I started monkeying with the Gracie bell. I can only hop it up a few inches, but I've been doing negatives with it lately - 6 sets x 2 reps of negatives. I raise it with a finger on a globe, then try to hold it as long as I can and resist it on the way back to the ground. I have pounded the hell out of the sand/gravel in the front atrium.

• Like 1

Updated about a week ago...........hahaha! Good to see you posting again.

Travelling this week, so nothing spectacular from today:

DB Press: 83# 3 x (1,2,3,4,5)

DB Rows: 83# 6 x 10

First day & week back from all the travelling, etc.

DBPress: 93# 3x1

Pull Ups: BW+22# 7, 6, 5, 4, 3

Sumo DL Oly: 315# 2x5 < jacked up my right hip a few weeks ago with 385#, so I am trying to rebuild some strength on the DLs.

Turkish Getups: 35#, 53#, both left and right sides

Yesterday:

DB Press: 93# 3 x (1,2,3)

Dynamic Bench: 135# + red bands: 3 reps, 3 widths, 3 sets each

Pull Ups: BW+22# 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 < wide grip, chest to cross beam on the PU setup.

Gracie DB work: 2 hps, followed by 2 negatives for total of 6 sets

DL: 315# Sumo, Oly 2 x 5 < my rt hip is a bit messed up, so free it up with a lot of light sets of varied work.

Today:

Built a sled for dragging around. Dragged a 100# plate around the yard, and up and down the street. Hoping this helps my hip.

• Like 1

Heal that hip up man!

Thanks Ben! I dropped weight on the DLs after all the travelling for work, but apparently not enough - hence the buggered up hip. I've been doing my mobility movements, and going light every day with squats or DLs, and lately the hip feels a lot better. Going to try 365# on the DLs this week, and see how it goes.

Today:

DBPress: 93# 4 x 1

KBRows: 103# 5 x 12

DLs: 365# Oly bar, Conventional, 2 x 5

Sled Drag: 100#, forward & reverse, to the corner of the street & back (maybe 100 yards one way?)

Hips feel a lot better today. Think the advil a couple days last week, the mobility stuff, and the sled drags have helped quite a bit.

I was surprised how much just foam rolling the IT bands helped with sumo stance stiffness issues. I'm not sure if you have what I had though.

This was brought on by sitting on planes for 20+ hrs, and sitting at desks and in taxis for hours on end when I was travelling for work last month. It's higher up and more near the hip joint than the IT bands, but I think a foam roll on it might help as well. Wouldn't hurt to try it.

My right hip was really locked up from desk jockey work, and I didn't even notice until I had a Functional Movement Screen done, and I couldn't move my right leg completely independent of the left. Pretty screwed up. So it's been a constant battle to keep the joint loose. All I can say is work sucks :laugh .

• Like 2

This was brought on by sitting on planes for 20+ hrs, and sitting at desks and in taxis for hours on end when I was travelling for work last month. It's higher up and more near the hip joint than the IT bands, but I think a foam roll on it might help as well. Wouldn't hurt to try it.

My right hip was really locked up from desk jockey work, and I didn't even notice until I had a Functional Movement Screen done, and I couldn't move my right leg completely independent of the left. Pretty screwed up. So it's been a constant battle to keep the joint loose. All I can say is work sucks :laugh .

I try to recline in my chair at work as much as possible. It helps keep my hips open a bit and staves off the keyboard slouch. There's a lot of hump backs at work and I definitely don't want to be one.

I do the same except I always get crap for having my boots off and the feet up on an open drawer for a foot stool.

I try to recline in my chair at work as much as possible. It helps keep my hips open a bit and staves off the keyboard slouch. There's a lot of hump backs at work and I definitely don't want to be one.

I actually have gotten into arguments with the ergo evaluators at work about this. They are stuck in the 90 deg mindset. I had to send them references to books on ergonomics that say that 90 degrees is too acute, and people should be allowed to recline to take the pressure off their spine. They escalated it to the 'lead ergo person', and he had to explain to them that the spec is anything greater than 90 degrees, not 90 degrees. Then I told another employee about this, and a physical therapist at the clinic at work told her they thought I was wrong. So I sent the references to that person, and they went and had a discussion with the PT person. I often wonder how many people have f'd up their backs, wrists, hands, etc. because of this ignorance.

• Like 1

With their logic laying down would probably make you a cripple. Funny how we can do that for 6+ hours every day without breaks without issue.

I've worked out of my home office for the last 3 years so no ergo folks, pants, socks, etc. hahaha!

• Like 2

Today:

DBPress: 93# 4x(1,2)

Pull-Ups: BW+22# 8, 7, 6, 5, 5

DL: Sumo Oly: 365# 2x5

Grippers: #1Filed: 10rbh tns; #2 Filed: 3 reps ccs, #2.5: R 1, 0 , 1, 0; L 0, 0 ,0 ,0 < Right misses were only by a hair. Left was way off. Need to equal the hands out.

Did some work on the formulator for wrist extension.

Wanted to do sled, but work got in the way.

Last night:

DBPress: 93# 5 x (1,2)

Grip: CCS up to 2.5 & tried my #3 as well (vids below)

That was all I was up for. Back & legs were still pretty sore from sled/squats/PU/DLs earlier in the week.

Yesterday:

KB Rows: 123# 5 x 8

Zercher Squats: 95# 2 x 10; 135# x 10; 185# 2 x 5

KB Snatches: 36:36; 53#; 16 reps/int; 8 intervals

Today:

DBPress: 93# 4 x 1

PUs: BW+57# 3 x 1

Dimels: Conventional, Axle, 215#+40# of chain 2 x 20

Rear Delts: 4 x 15 < rt shoulder is feeling dinged up in the back, so hoping some accessory work strengthens it up

Today:

ZSquat: 95# 2 x 10; 135# 2 x 10

Bench: 135# x 10; 185# x 5; 225# x 5; 245# 2 x 5

KB Snatches: 36:36; 53#; 16 reps/int; 10 intervals < haven't done this many in a while, and for some reason it seems to have skewed my vision temporarily. Hope it's not a aneurysm.