Misc. Mayhem

bwwm

Today:

Bench: 135# x 10, 185# x 5, 205# x 5, 225# 2 x 5 < really thrilled with the progress here. Shoulders were a little sore from the 80# DB C&P yesterday, and I still did well with bench

Goblet Squats: 44# kb 5~6 reps, with 10 count pause < trying to groove a better squat pattern with my hips/pelvic tilt

Light Incline Bench: 40# DB's 2x10

VWC Snatch Program: 53# KB; 16 reps/int; 36:36; 8 intervals

Very minor nerve buzz after VWC, but that's kind of to be expected, that's why I didn't go balls to the wall on that.

Yesterday:

C&P: 98# 4x(1,2) < shoulders are pretty beat up from C&P Mon, bench and VWC Tues, so dropped the vol

PUs: BW+57# 5x(1,2)

DLs: Axle, sumo, 345# 2x5

Grippers: #1Filed: 10 rbh, mms; #2Filed: 5 rbh; #2.5: 3 reps rt, 2 reps lt; #3: 1 rbh; BB Elite: 2 attempts bh

2" DB holds (sec): 165#: R 6, 4, 6, 5, 5 L 6, 5, 6, 6, 4

2HP: 70# x 10, 90# x 10 120# x 1 and some attempts < note that this is plate weight, not total.

Also did a lot of formulator for wrist extensors, TTK, and sledge, but I don't right that stuff down.

Today:

Off day - may goof around with some curls and tricep work.

Friday:

C&P: 98# 3x(1,2,3,4) 2x(1,2,3) < PR - if I can get this up to 5 x (1,2,3,4), then I will probably permanently move up to my 103# kb (it's marked 106, but really 103)

PU: BW+57# 4x(1,2,3), 2, 1 < Rushed to get out the door for travels

Today:

KB Swings: 103# kb 6 x 5

Goblet Squats: 53# kb x 5 - just grooving my form

VWC: 53# kb, 36:36; 16 reps/int; 12 ints < working this back up while travelling, as I don't have access to much else

Did some jump rope and some push-ups.

Notes: Nerves in the lumbar region have completely calmed down. I'm so relieved I can't even describe it. I thought I had f'd up something bad when a new one had started buzzing a few weeks ago.

Thanks man! I think part of it is this 'getting old' thing. :)

• Like 1

Today:

Off-day.

Active recovery (fighting the holiday battle of the bulge):

Pull-ups (10), chin-ups (10), super fat bar pull-ups (5 or so on a ~7" diameter bar). Did about 60 push-ups.

Today:

C&P: ~104# KB 4x1 L/R

Rows: ~104# KB 3 x 5 L/R

Friday:

C&P: 103# kb, R: 3x(1,2,3), L: 2x(1,2,3),(1,2,2) < PR!

Axle DL, Sumo, Mixed grip: 345# x 5, 395# x 5 < went good - no nerve buzzing

PUs: BW+22# 8

Sat:

Grippers: worked up through C0C#3 closing it with bh. Made some more attempts on the BB Elite.

IM Hub: 25# 2 rbh; 35# 1 rbh; 40# 2 rh, 1 lh; 35# 2 rbh; 37.5# 1 rbh, 2 rbh

Tried a 3" pinch block 1 handed & got 50# (more than needed in the Nationals medley).
Bench (light, don't have bands presently): worked up to 3 x 10 with 165#.

Today:

Pull Ups: BW 4x10

2" DB Rows: 100# in plates, 5x8

Dimels: 210#, 2x20, sumo

VWC: 45# kb; 17 reps/int; 36:36; 34 intervals PR! (over 40 minutes, and total of 578 snatches) < needed to burn off all this damn holiday food.

Yeah, I'm afraid to weigh myself. Those snatches rev'ed up my metabolism so much, I couldn't get to sleep till 3:30 AM, and I had finished them by 9:40pm.

Oh and Daniel - I went indoor rock climbing today with the kids and extended family today, and made it to the top of a couple 5.7 routes. Then I went and knocked out ~14 pull-ups on the campus board and a set of archer pull-ups before we had to leave. The gym personnel were shocked that I was cranking them out like that.

• Like 2

Haha. I'm sure they didn't expect a big guy to start cranking out reps on the campus board post climbing.

Sat:

C&P: 98# 5x(1,2,3)

DBRows: 110# in plates 5x6 bh

Zercher Squats: 95# 8, 10; 115# 2x8

VWC: 62# KB; 15reps/int; 36:36; 6 ints

Did some 2HP pinch work at 50mm

also some blob and TTK work. Forearms were pretty sore from Wed, so not doing anything too crazy.

No, I'm a lazy idiot who doesn't update his log frequently. :sleeping:

Edited by bwwm

No, I'm a lazy idiot who doesn't update his log frequently. :sleeping:

That's exactly what I thought :D

I figured you were training more than that for sure. Is your main thick bar work still just your dumbbell work?

I do 2" DB holds for time - similar to "the Linda". I used to do it 2x/week, but I'm thinking of splitting up my grip workout into two separate workouts - grippers and fat bar on Wed, and 2HP, hubs/blobs on Sat. 2" DB holds are in the 165# range - hope to move it up 5-10 #'s over the next couple months.

The rest of my stuff looks like this:

Kettlebell Military Presses: M, W, F or Sat - usually low vol M, med vol W, and high vol the last day - all follow the russian ladder format

Deadlift work: alternate 2 weeks of dimels (3-4x/wk in 2 x 20 rep format) with 2 weeks of sumo deadlifts (3-4x/week in 5,3,2 rep format)

Kettlebell Snatches: T and F or Sat - first day is 53# bell, with 36:36 interval format, 16 reps/int, usually in the 10-20 interval range (target 34). second day is with a heavier bell - 62 or 70# usually in the 6-12 interval range, but less reps/int

Pull-ups: Lately, always weighted. Currently alternating two weeks of russian ladders with BW+57#, and two weeks of Pavel's Pull-up Program with BW+22#. I'm thinking of changing this to alternating 2 weeks of weighted pull-ups, with 2 weeks of heavy DB Rows. Getting some inflamed forearm tendons right near the edge of the elbow joint from all the pull-ups.

Bench: working on resurrecting my bench - currently do 'speed day' on Saturday - with bands in the 2x15-20 range - usually around 135# plus westside monster mini red bands (~60#'s weight?). Heavy day is on Tuesday, but I use a 10, 5, 5, 5, scheme working up to a weight I can't do 5 reps with.

Zerchers: Screwed up my back from bad form in back squats, so I'm trying to ease into doing Zercher squats. Usually just Tuesday, but sometimes Saturday.

There's other stuff I do like Turkish Get Ups, Arm bars, arm work, rotator cuff, jump rope, pistols, goblet squats, etc. but I don't have plans for those, I just do them for prehab.

I should also mention that I do a lot of the deadlift work stuff with the Axle. With the dimels, I try to hold on in DO as long as I can till I have to switch to mixed grip. On the advice of Reinard, I have been doing the regular deadlifts with the axle as well, as long as my mixed grip feels stable. I feel as though my axle is limited by my thumbs more than anything, however.

I wish I has higher ceilings downstairs (or less snow outside) so I could do some snatches and standing press work.

I know what you mean. When I'm at my folks in the winter, I either have to use the 'Florida room' (unheated), or try to squeak into a stair well for presses. Stair well doesn't work for snatches though.

I could do it upstairs but I just redid the flooring and don't need any kb scratches lol

Today:

C&P: 98# KB 2,1,1,1,1

DL: 415# Sumo, Oly, 5, 3, 2

TGUs: 35#, 53#, 70#, 88# < these felt strong today - think the DB Rows help these a lot.

Got an IM squat belt today in the mail. Going to try it out tomorrow on 'heavy squat day'.

Yesterday:

DB Rows: 100# in plates, 5 x 10, bh

DL PTTP: 425# Sumo, Oly, 5, 3, 2

VWC Snatches: 70# KB; 36:36; 13 reps/int; 6 ints < this was easier than I remember - will go for more reps/int and a PR next time.

Today's report later ...

Sat Night:

KB Press: 98# (1,2,3,4), 4x(1,2,3)

KB Rows: 123# 5x5 bh < a lot harder cuz of increased ROM, I found

Band Benches: 135# + 2 red bands, 2 x 15

KB Band Benches: 95# bar + two 35# kbs suspended with bands - 4x5

Zercher squats: worked on form with vid camera, and worked up to 2 x 5 with 135# < neat trick - used my Fatgripz to ease the pressure on the inside of my elbows on these.

Eased off on grip this time around:

Wrist Developer: Level 3: 4 reps bh Level 4: 1 rep bh Level 5: failed attempts bh < going to start doing this 1x/week

Homemade TTK: 20# 5 reps bh, 22.5# 3 reps bh

Did sup/pro work with sledge hammers.