Misc. Mayhem

bwwm

Actually, my gripper training has been inconsistent lately - I was training with the Vulcan quite a bit to shoot vids to qualify for Nationals. Then when I want back to TSGs, I noticed my closing strength had dropped off a bit.

I don't know how far I can get with barbell bench, because to be honest I haven't done barbell benching since I tore my pec doing it back in '96. I was trying to get back to my max way too fast back then, and had done a bunch of forced negatives, then about 3 or 4 weeks later tore it trying to go for 5 reps of 245#. I was young, dumb, and didn't understand much about lifting, cycling weight/intensity, etc. etc. So I'll continue as long as it feels good, but I don't know if I will get the weight/intensity high enough where it will improve my gripper closes. We'll see. The most I ever did was like 320/325 in my early 20's. I'm using the PL form now, and not the splayed arms, bodybuilding style I did back then.

Hey congrats on the Nats qualification.

Yeah that vulcan is good for set work or high rep work. That's it. I didn't like to train it like a gripper because doing so didn't translate well to max TSGs. Good thing is the strength is still there bud. Just takes a few sessions to wake up that big crush. I hope pec plays nice for you. You seem to be training smart enough it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks! I don't expect to place very well at Nationals, but I'm going there for the experience, and to learn. I also think it will be great to meet all these folks I have only met online.

Thanks! I don't expect to place very well at Nationals, but I'm going there for the experience, and to learn. I also think it will be great to meet all these folks I have only met online.

I also want to congratulate you. I should be at nationals next year as well unless some major commitment comes up last second.

I was young, dumb, and didn't understand much about lifting, cycling weight/intensity, etc. etc. So I'll continue as long as it feels good, but I don't know if I will get the weight/intensity high enough where it will improve my gripper closes. We'll see. The most I ever did was like 320/325 in my early 20's. I'm using the PL form now, and not the splayed arms, bodybuilding style I did back then.

Man this sounds soooo familiar....I can't tell you how many times I pulled something in my pecs or strained something under my armpit benching flat backed with splayed arms over the years.....I was an idiot! I just recently started barbell benching again because of all the injuries, but I'm restricting myself to a narrow grip with a modest arch and tucked elbows....so far so good....well, at least before my bicep tear...lol....

I also want to congratulate you. I should be at nationals next year as well unless some major commitment comes up last second.

It will be a pleasure to meet you in person Chez!

I was young, dumb, and didn't understand much about lifting, cycling weight/intensity, etc. etc. So I'll continue as long as it feels good, but I don't know if I will get the weight/intensity high enough where it will improve my gripper closes. We'll see. The most I ever did was like 320/325 in my early 20's. I'm using the PL form now, and not the splayed arms, bodybuilding style I did back then.

Man this sounds soooo familiar....I can't tell you how many times I pulled something in my pecs or strained something under my armpit benching flat backed with splayed arms over the years.....I was an idiot! I just recently started barbell benching again because of all the injuries, but I'm restricting myself to a narrow grip with a modest arch and tucked elbows....so far so good....well, at least before my bicep tear...lol....

Like the old adage, "If I knew then, what I know now..." :shuriken:

Monday Night:

Pull Ups: BW + 22# 9, 9, 8, 7 ,6

C&P: 98# KB, 5 singles both sides

Dimels: 215# + 40#of chain 2 x 20

TGUs: 35# x 1, 53# x 1, 70# x 3, all both sides

Arm Bars: 35#, 53#, 70# both sides

Tuesday Night:

Bench: 135# x 10, 185# x 5, 195# x 5, 205# x 5

Squats: 135# x 15; 185# x 10; 205# x 10; 225# x 10

VWC: 53# kb; 36:36; 16 reps/int; 20 ints < - Think this was a PR. No vomiting either! The heavier bells later in the week are making the 53# less tortuous.

• 4 weeks later...

Coming off a deload week in which I did almost nothing that I normally do.

Yesterday I did some sledge work and a bit of DO nail bends (1/4" square HRS x 7"). Did some gripper work last night. Was able to MMS the #3 both hands. Videography was crap - really need to work on shooting better vids if I want to cert. Aaron Corcorran has been giving me some great training advice lately.

Today I did some moderate shoulder work and some rack pulls: 405# x 3; 495# x 3; 545# x 3 Coming off a deload week, the rack pulls felt easier. These were from the 2nd pin - a few inches below the knees.

• Like 3

Thanks Jason! I realize it's not easy to tell from the vid, but I was 100% sure they closed. I need to work on the lighting and angles. I think filming outside during the day would help a lot.

Both looked closed to me. Next time we meet up lets discuss some to the finer points of shooting a gripper close vid though. Getting a close on video depending on how you set up and do it can make the close alot tougher to actually get. The fact that you got both of those closed and were able to show it even with your setup speaks volumes to how you are now killing the gripper.

- Aaron

Thanks Aaron! Yeah, I know the videography leaves a lot to be desired.

Great job buddy. I paused both closes because I'm a perfectionist and I could clearly see the handles touching both times. Big milestone achievement.

No worries, just takes some practice. Before I do a cert I always do a few practice runs with a Trainer or something to make sure I am positioned to get a good close on video. I also shoot from underneath going up at an angle. Much easier to get the set without the off hand obscuring and get the end of the handles lined up in closed position while still having a nice neutral hand position. Just try a few with a lighter gripper to figure out what is most comfortable for you and best distance from camera to ensure consistently getting the close in frame. No problem and you will be putting up gripper vids like a pro in no time. Congrats again on the #3 closes!

- Aaron

Yesterday's work:

C&P: 98# kb, (1,2,3),4x(1,2)

PUs: 22#+BW 9, 9, 8, 7, 6

Dimels: 215#+40# of chain, 2 x 20

Grip work:

RT: 90#x10, 120#x10, 130#x10 < going to try 130 or 140 for reps next time around

Blob 50#: 2 lifts bh, 2 hops bh, 2 drags bh

Plywood lift: 35# 3 long reps, bh < these hit my hands in a very different way, and I'm feelin' it today

35# hub + ~5# of chain; 3x1 bh

Also mixed in light sledge and formulator work

Tonight:

C&P: 98# 1x(1,2,3,4), 4x(1,2,3)

PUs: BW+22# 10,9,8,7,6

Dimels: 215# axle + 2 tow chains (~40#) 2 x 20

Misc. Notes:

1.) bought a 56kg kb today for $150 used. It's a Fedorenko GS style bell. Damn that sucker is heavy - maybe in 2-3 years I will be strong enough to press it.

2.) got a weird nerve buzz in my rt hip. wondering if I am bulging my disc in a new spot and it's putting pressure on a new nerve or if it's just a deep muscle worked in a new way

3.) right forearm belly is a bit zinged from the PUs. This is one of these persistent things I need to keep adapting to try to alleviate - going to try alternating PUs grips soon.

The 'new' buzzed nerve has stopped buzzing, but the old one is still complaining. I had a hunch it was a delayed reaction to my back squat form. Sure enough, I shot some vids of myself and confirmed I had my legs in too close. I think doing box squats is not a good idea either. So I found a good stance I could execute with good lumbar position and get down below parallel, and I will start training that in a week or two. For now deads, and squats are off the menu. Going to work back into swings and dimels, and slowly add things back in.

Also letting some of the mild tendonitis heal up in my elbows.

Yesterday:

Worked with my 2" handle dumbbell: 70# 1 arm presses: 5x5 70# 1 arm rows: 5x12

I did do bench today:

135#x10, 185#x5, 205#x5, 225#x5 < this is a huge PR for me. I'm 20#'s away from the weight that did me in 16 years ago.

Today:

PUs: BW+22# 10,9,8,7,6

C&P: 98# 2x(1,2,3), 3x(1,2)

Light Deadlifts: 225# < did some video reviews of my sumo form. Only thing I saw was a little bit of hamstring tightness not keeping my spine exactly the way I want it, but otherwise, it looked fine and no problems.

Notes: some nerve buzz today, but still stabilized. Took some advil just to see what would happen and I think it helped for awhile. Will try to fit some grip in tonight.

Tonight:

PUs: BW+22# 10,9,8,7,7

C&P: 98# 2x(1,2,3,4), 3x(1,2,3)

• Like 1

Thanks Jason! Pretty much all I can do for now until the nerve/disk calms down.

Hey - I was going to mention - if Derek has his AW buddies over to Aaron's comp - you can have a go at redeeming us on the AW table. You're probably the best conditioned for it out of the lot of us.

Thanks Jason! Pretty much all I can do for now until the nerve/disk calms down.

Hey - I was going to mention - if Derek has his AW buddies over to Aaron's comp - you can have a go at redeeming us on the AW table. You're probably the best conditioned for it out of the lot of us.

If I feel anything like after last years comp I'll be doing my ameoba impression by the end lol! I was literally the most bagged I've been in years after that. That said we did move a lot of weight back and forth too. If I've got any gas I'll definitely give them a go.

Today:

Bench w/ mini bands: 215# + monster mini's 3 x 15

2" DB Rows: 3 x 10 both arms

DL: 347# on 2" axle - felt good, looked good on video, but got some complaining from the back later in the day. Going to have to lay off the heavy stuff for an extended period.

Grip training:

2" DB holds (sec): L 4, 3, 4, 4, 6, 6 R 4, 5, 4, 4, 5, 5 < last two were better cuz I remembered the chalk

2" DB bounces (reps): R 3 x 10; L 1 x 10, 1 x 9, 1 x 10

50# Blob Training:

R: lift, drag, lift, lift, lift

L: lift, drag, lift, hop, hop

Hub:

35# 2 x 1 bh; 39.5# 2 x 1 bh; Added a few more pounds and got some hops both hands

Tested a few of the items in the 2012 Nationals Medley List:

90# Dinnie Ring on Index finger - made the lift bh

50# 1 hand pinch block - made the lift bh

Rolling Thunder Test - 155# - broke it off the floor left, no lift right. Considering the thick bar work, etc. and it's the last test of the day, I guess I'm okay with it. Need to get this up to 195#.

Tonight (low vol, low intensity stuff):

C&P: 80# 2" DB, 4 x 5

Rows: 80# 2" DB, 5 x 10

DLs: 2" Axle, Sumo, Mixed Grip, 345# 2 x 5 < did one full rep DO, and also did some partials afterwards DO

TGU: 35# KB, L/R

Goblet Squats: 35# KB 5 reps of 10 count holds

Notes: Back is feeling good, and nerves have calmed down quite a bit. I started taking an advil a day for another 3 days, just to help make sure any inflammation is dealt with. Back and nerves felt fine after DLs and GSs today, so I think after a few more weeks of staying away from the heavy DLs, I should be okay to increase weight. Really learned my lesson on the necessity of reviewing form, especially for new exercises (e.g. back squats).