Best Gear For Arm Wrestling

Oztexs

Ok gents, what's the best device to train on for becoming a stronger arm wrestler ?

I've got the grippers, wrist roller, dumb bells and powerball. i am thinking of getting those resistence bands for trainging the actual arm wrestling motion

any other idea's ?

Ok gents, what's the best device to train on for becoming a stronger arm wrestler ?

I've got the grippers, wrist roller, dumb bells and powerball. i am thinking of getting those resistence bands for trainging the actual arm wrestling motion

any other idea's ?

I would say there's no "best" device due to the fact of individual differences in athletes.

I can say from years of experience that training in a way that simulates actual pulling brings

the most consistent results.

Lastly, arm wrestling alone is not your best route either because it creates imbalances in oppossing

muscle groups (eg., hook puller neglecting extensors). Accessory movements along with pulling practice

with an experienced puller seems ideal IMO.

One thing I would do different if I could start my career over is to begin with a "conditioning phase" to

properly condition and strengthen the correct muscle/tendon groups before getting into extensive pulling sessions.

Hope this helps!

One thing I would do different if I could start my career over is to begin with a "conditioning phase" to

properly condition and strengthen the correct muscle/tendon groups before getting into extensive pulling sessions.

Hope this helps!

Could you give example-routine for this conditioning phase?

Edit? s l o w :grin:

Edited by brujeria

Anyone with any experience with these?

I have BOTH!

Both are useful but there's other ways to train that produce more accurate movement patterns

and proper range of motion. My favorite training tool for AW'ing training is a karate belt.

The wrist curl device is awesome for wrist curls and forearm development. Works off eccentric principle (off center).

MightyJoe, could you explain the conditioning phase in more detail?

Far too many beginner arm wrestlers (pullers) jump into the same type training that an elite level puller

would. Seems as if American athletes are always in some sort of peaking phase (specially powerlifting).

Condition phase could be more accurately termed pre-conditioning phase where you condition the areas

involved in all the various AW'ing positions (dynamic & static). For example, your lats are very important in AW'ing

so these need some pre-conditioning prior to full blown AW'ing sessions. Biceps? Same principle! Forearms from the wrist

to the elbow. Upper back? Extremely important! Think horizontal pull-ups ( close-grip).

I'm not a believer in cookie cutter routines due to the individuality of athletes so I can't recommend a "one for all" example

without actually working with an individual as I did for example with Tim Collins who went on to become a National and World

Champion.

Identify your strengths and your weaknesses and come up with a detailed plan to strengthen one and balance out the other.

To be a competitve arm wrestler with the least chance of injuries you have to always be thinking about balance in your training.

Too much emphasis in one area and neglect in the opposing area is asking for trouble (imbalances).

I'm a HUGE believer in using one's imagination and try and think for yourself. If you get stuck and can't think your way through

your problem, then ask someone with experience for suggestions/advice. Also, think outside the box! Try things no one else has

come up with. Reverse engineer a problem. Experiment! Most of all, PRACTICE what you would like to succeed at doing but never

lose sight of BALANCE in what you PRACTICE!

This is all I have time for guys!

Hope this helps!

I wish I could work with each of you personally but obviously I can't.

Train SMART and PROGRESS each session! How can you progress each session?

Try to figure this one out on your own! Give an honest effort guys!

Which year did Tim Collins win a WAF open class? What weight class?

Tim was a WPAA National and World Champion. This was way before your time David.

Tim's dad had to build an extra room onto their house for all the trophies he won.

Only person I've seen with more trophies than Tim Collins is Michael Todd and John Brzenk.

BTW, there's tons of video footage of Tim in action but it's all VHS that hasn't been converted to

discs. There's quite a bit of video footage of myself back in the day but I don't have any of it. I know pullers who do though.

Lastly, if you're doubting what I say this can easily be verified over at the NE Board. PM Karen Bean and ask for Tim Collins

name and titles. Karen and Frank Bean also competed the same time frames as Tim and myself. I'm almost certain Tim

competed and placed in the 1991 WAF World's in Israel. We both qualified, he went and I did not. Big mistake too. My proudest achievements were training Tim from beginning to end, from beginner to World Champion. Strongest puller I ever met pound for pound! The only puller that could beat Tim every time was Gabe Acardi (AAA National and WAF World Champion).

I don't mind anyone verifying claims but if you're in anyway trying to dismiss Tim Collin's achievements that made him a World Class Arm Wrestler you WILL NOT succeed. I can promise you that!

Keep in mind there wasn't You Tube back then so you'll have to look things up the old way David. The present was paved by those of the past!

Never forget the past my friend!

Edited by Mighty Joe

Yeah, WPAA worlds was before my time. Why would trying to verify a world class claim mean dismissal of anything? You of all people know that a world class claim requires world class evidence. In any case I believe you.

People throw around the title "world champion" so trivially that it has all but lost any sort of meaning to me without knowing exactly what was won, that's why I asked.

A Frank Hirst table and a knowledgable group of guys to pull with would be the ultimate "gear".

-Joe: I like the sounds of your conditioning workout. One of the guys I train with knows Janis Amolins personally and he gave me a link to what they do 3 months out. What I found most interesting was that they are setting up workouts to peak 3 months out while we're grinding away in a garage or bar once a week. I haven't got it all translated yet but the other thing is during phase 2 they purposefully hamstring their recovery to shock the system. For example, they give blood frequently, fast, etc.. and then maximize the recovery on phase 3. The article said it helps you to leverage your own natural reserves. When I get it all translated (google isn't perfect :) ) I'll let you know.

Joe - Is there any chance you know the years Tim won his WPAA titles? I've been trying to finalize the historical list of WPAA champions for the Armwrestling History Channel, but I'm still missing some names. The results I have can be found at the bottom of this page:

http://www.armwrestlinghistorychannel.com/2012/03/history-of-world-professional.html

The picture of what appears to be a sub-200# Lupkes is worth the visit alone. Great site Eric!

Yeah, WPAA worlds was before my time. Why would trying to verify a world class claim mean dismissal of anything? You of all people know that a world class claim requires world class evidence. In any case I believe you.

People throw around the title "world champion" so trivially that it has all but lost any sort of meaning to me without knowing exactly what was won, that's why I asked.

David, I apologize if I took you wrong.

I just spent so much time and effort with Tim that I get wound up over him sometimes.

You are very correct about people throwing around titles loosely.

Edited by Mighty Joe

Joe - Is there any chance you know the years Tim won his WPAA titles? I've been trying to finalize the historical list of WPAA champions for the Armwrestling History Channel, but I'm still missing some names. The results I have can be found at the bottom of this page:

http://www.armwrestl...ofessional.html

Eric, check the years from 1990-1996.

I can get with Tim and find out for certain.

Thanks for checking this out. I would like a place where I can direct people concerning WPAA titles.

I have many great friends that were champions in that association, eg. Johnny Clay, Jim Tambourine, and more...

http://www.armwrestl...ofessional.html

I noticed you have Tim listed in 1993 as World Champion. He had 3 World titles though.

I'll find out for you Eric.

AWESOME Website!!!

A Frank Hirst table and a knowledgable group of guys to pull with would be the ultimate "gear".

-Joe: I like the sounds of your conditioning workout. One of the guys I train with knows Janis Amolins personally and he gave me a link to what they do 3 months out. What I found most interesting was that they are setting up workouts to peak 3 months out while we're grinding away in a garage or bar once a week. I haven't got it all translated yet but the other thing is during phase 2 they purposefully hamstring their recovery to shock the system. For example, they give blood frequently, fast, etc.. and then maximize the recovery on phase 3. The article said it helps you to leverage your own natural reserves. When I get it all translated (google isn't perfect :) ) I'll let you know.

Thanks Josh! This sounds super interesting!

Thanks for sharing this buddy!

This is how we all learn is by sharing and helping one another.

The Grip Community is just GREAT!

Ok this was interesting.

So based on Mighty Joe's advise .. i need to start conditioning the area's that I know need attention .. and in my case that's the lats, upper back etc

And I think this makes sense .. When i have pulled, I've noticed strains in these areas as part of the Imbalance Might Joe mentions.

I am now part of a group of pullers who get together every week so I will hopefully start learning from there as well. But since here in Sydney the exp level is

very low, hence I seek advise from you guys !

• 2 weeks later...
304253_1969191198190_1637172794_n.jpg Edited by pawel r
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Terminator Arm Wrestling Handle, Resistance bands and a Ironmind Twist Yo Wrist are some of my favorites. But the bands are the best type of resistance if you miss a practice or are unable to find local pullers.

All great advice.

Another key factor IMO would be practice under tournament regulations as best as you can, meaning start square and start with both hands on the center of the table. Countless times at practice I've seen people just do whatever to win for the crown of who has the longest dong. Its almost like training to be strong a inch away from the pad, its just not smart.

All great advice.

Another key factor IMO would be practice under tournament regulations as best as you can, meaning start square and start with both hands on the center of the table. Countless times at practice I've seen people just do whatever to win for the crown of who has the longest dong. Its almost like training to be strong a inch away from the pad, its just not smart.

Mike, you bring up a good point about practice. It's just that, practice! But all too often the practice sessions I've attended over the years are as you say near all out matches to win or best someone so later on you can claim victory over so and so.

These are the very practice sessions I've learned to avoid for several reasons:

1) No one is gaining any benefit from this type of session. It's all about winning and nothing about learning through PRACTICE.

2) Most injuries occur at practice sessions. No statistics on this but from my personal experience and listening to others concerning their injuries, it nearly always happened at practice.

3) Less stronger individuals are always being destroyed by their larger and much stronger partners and this sets up a huge mental disadvantage for the weaker guy. You are distilling in his mind constant failure which will reveal itself at a tournament. Other words they are being set up to fail.

4) Nearly all bad habits start at poorly designed practice sessions were all that counts is winning at any costs! I've seen it too many times!

Just some of my thoughts about practice sessions.

Edited by Mighty Joe

""4) Nearly all bad habits start at poorly designed practice sessions were all that counts is winning at any costs! I've seen it too many times!""

Copyright, Tag and stamp that.^^

For the most part I agree that more injuries happen at practice but the real nasty ones that I've seen where at a event.