What Is The Hardest Nail Ever Bent?

yummy

What is the best nail bend ever done? Is there any video of the feat of strength also? Thanks curious what are some of the best bends done out their.

Can't believe how much bigger the Gold is compared to the red nail. That's some crazy bends!

Hmmm i always thought a big G8 is stronger. What about a bigKOAB? Also 5/16 sq fbbc?

The gold nail is surprisingly difficult. One would expect it to be easier since the red nail is of fairly weak CRS. But the crs in the gold feels much harder. This is something that worries me because I think there is some risk that the gold nails in the future will be much easier, simply because this first ones turned out to be of a freaky hard batch. I know that Ironmind puts in some effort in controlling the steel that goes into the nails, however that would mean that Ironmind would intentionally make the reds weak for their size and the gold hard for their size, which doesn't make sense. I think that it's simply because they can't controll how hard they're going to end up.

The gold would probably cal somewhere in the region of 750-800 at 7". The extra length of it does make it a bit easier than that. But in general it is harder than the big G8 and definitely harder than the 7"x5/16 square.

However for the hardest bend I would have to say Aaron's 6"x5/16 square. Because at 6" the square must surely be harder than the gold.

• Like 5

The gold nail is surprisingly difficult. One would expect it to be easier since the red nail is of fairly weak CRS. But the crs in the gold feels much harder. This is something that worries me because I think there is some risk that the gold nails in the future will be much easier, simply because this first ones turned out to be of a freaky hard batch. I know that Ironmind puts in some effort in controlling the steel that goes into the nails, however that would mean that Ironmind would intentionally make the reds weak for their size and the gold hard for their size, which doesn't make sense. I think that it's simply because they can't controll how hard they're going to end up.

The gold would probably cal somewhere in the region of 750-800 at 7". The extra length of it does make it a bit easier than that. But in general it is harder than the big G8 and definitely harder than the 7"x5/16 square.

However for the hardest bend I would have to say Aaron's 6"x5/16 square. Because at 6" the square must surely be harder than the gold.

Of course Gary's bends blows everyone else out of the water. However there is some uncertainty about his bends. Aaron's bends are something that we know happened for sure. The 6"x5/16 was bent at a competition I think, so we know for sure that it happened beyond all doubt.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1

Paul Knigbt's best bend cant be a gold nail see how he easily bent it in less than one and a half minutes! And yes Aaron's 6" fbbc sq is definatly there at the top. Gary we have questions over him but if those bends are legit then a gold nail wont even be a warm up for him!

Paul Knigbt's best bend cant be a gold nail see how he easily bent it in less than one and a half minutes! And yes Aaron's 6" fbbc sq is definatly there at the top. Gary we have questions over him but if those bends are legit then a gold nail wont even be a warm up for him!

what crazy bends did gary do? What are some of his big bends in terms of difficutly?

wow read this on another fourm

"So you've obviously never heard of Gary "Gazza" Hunt, the man who bent 5/16" x 7" stainless bare handed, covered in lube to under 2", or the same type of bar wrapped in thin suede kinked with one piece in his mouth, hanging 100lbs from a head harness while pinching a 50# blob in the free hand, or the 3/8" x 6" Stainless Huge King of All Shiny Bastards he bent for the FBBC cert lists as well as bending a 5/16" grade 8 bolt in loose iron mind wraps reverse style and finished overhand while his wrist was broken and still in a cast"

Is this real life? Any videos of these bends?

"So you've obviously never heard of Gary "Gazza" Hunt, the man who bent 5/16" x 7" stainless bare handed, covered in lube to under 2", or the same type of bar wrapped in thin suede kinked with one piece in his mouth, hanging 100lbs from a head harness while pinching a 50# blob in the free hand, or the 3/8" x 6" Stainless Huge King of All Shiny Bastards he bent for the FBBC cert lists as well as bending a 5/16" grade 8 bolt in loose iron mind wraps reverse style and finished overhand while his wrist was broken and still in a cast"

ive also heard (numerous times) that he bent reds, and bastards barehanded. i believe this.

in the thread below, they talk about Gary Hunt. it says in this thread, that he bent a railroad spike... crazy!

http://www.gripboard...=35121&hl=gazza

Yes, there are videos of these bends, but they're so mind boggling that nobody believes that they're real. I think most people would rather pass them off as fake than accept the fact that they themselves are nowhere close to "elite" or "upper level" status, I like to embrace the possibility that the human potential is a lot more than double overhanding a Big G8 Bolt in monster wraps. I guess too many people worry about who's cheating than pusing their own limits. This in not a personal stab at anyone whatsoever, just an assessment I made long ago.

Edited by J.T. Straussner
  • Like 3

I've seen that piece of steel that Aaron bent. It was mind blowing then, when I know absolutely nothing about bending. It continues to astonish me as I learn more about bending. It just blows my mind that people can generate that kind of force. Especially when they are not on the juice.

Was reading today over on Benders Battlefield how Mike Krahling passed out cold on a bend. He recuperated enough to keep bending and win the competition. That's badass right there.

Edited by bwwm

Double underhand will do that often lol!

ive also heard (numerous times) that he bent reds, and bastards barehanded. i believe this.

in the thread below, they talk about Gary Hunt. it says in this thread, that he bent a railroad spike... crazy!

http://www.gripboard...=35121&hl=gazza

Yes, there are videos of these bends, but they're so mind boggling that nobody believes that they're real. I think most people would rather pass them off as fake than accept the fact that they themselves are nowhere close to "elite" or "upper level" status, I like to embrace the possibility that the human potential is a lot more than double overhanding a Big G8 Bolt in monster wraps. I guess too many people worry about who's cheating than pusing their own limits. This in not a personal stab at anyone whatsoever, just an assessment I made long ago.

prolly the only reason many people have doubt, is due to not having access to any of his vids. thats all.

but on a side note: its hard to watch one of Gazza's vids and think its a fake...

Actually buddy, the majority of the "non-believers" I'm referring to (again no one in particular) have seen his videos and still refuse to believe that he was bending at that level. But I do think that more people should see his videos.

Edited by J.T. Straussner

My personal thought is Gazza is an animal and the bends are real. I've heard the speculation both ways and seen the videos. The guy's a bending freak.

• Like 1

Gary has bent alot harder stuff than that. Strict reverse and DU 7"x10mm drillrod. Got pretty close to the 7" shiny moab, that's 7"x7/16 stainless. Bent the 5.5" KOASB in ironmind pads during a medley where he bent some other stuff to. Bent a 6" shiny bastard barehanded and got a good kink in a 5.5" shiny bastard barehanded. Also bent an Edgin barehanded. Unfortunately Gary always removed his videos, and the ones that resurfaced was always the ones from 07, or the ones from late 10-11 But the years inbetween were the ones that were really freaky.

Considering the few number of participents in steel bending, it is statistically extremely unlikely that Gary would be the the upper limit of human potential. There should be many people with better genetic potential for steel bending, or at least many who have the same genetic potential, but are bigger and thus able to bend bigger steel. I wonder what the upper limit for human potential must be then. 6" MOASB double overhand? Big G8 barehanded? Who knows?

Personally I hate to speculate, instead I'd just go for the bends that I know for sure are real. Aaron's bends are something that we know beyond all doubt were not faked.

• Like 1

For a lot of the freakiest bends ever done, just head over to the Fat Bastard Barbell cert pages. leaving out Mike Hadland's DU bends would be a mistake. 3.5" Bastard Bar DU? We had to make up new names for stuff he did. Gary's stuff was amazing. Pat P's first KOAB done in 5" x 5" suede, he blacked out 3 times during the bend & dropped to his knees. Aaron & Paul did crazy stuff. Probably some of the best bending took place at the Backyard Bastard Bashes. Back when bending was just really getting started, and there were only 3-4 Magnificent Bastards, we had 5 guys do Mags at the BBB in one day. For the old guys here - remember Dave Morton & Greg Amidon doing 100 IM Reds each without stopping, and the palms of their hands just blistered off by the end? There's some amazing stuff.

• Like 1

There are tons of videos of Gary bending, but he had a habit of making them invite-only and/or taking down both private and public videos. I managed to save most of his videos including his barehanded and lubed shiny bends IEW. Things like his 3/8 G5 and 5/16 G8's, sadly, I could not. He also bent a 6" long square railroad spike, not as big as you'd think, but I held that piece of steel, and his 5/16x6 G9. How they were bent, I'm not sure, but given the things I have him on video doing, some of these bends are not out of the realm of possibility.

Hadland was an incredible bender. His specialty was DU and he killed some remarkably short stock in that fashion with all manner of wraps. He was extremely intense and explosive and a blast to watch.

All the others mentioned were done in comps and I'm pretty sure 5/16x6 square was the biggest comp bend by Aaron. Bending hasn't made it into comps for awhile, so who knows what could go down right now?

When I first heard about Gary's bends, specifically his barehanded ones, my knee-jerk reaction was, "my @ss". I thought, until I hand that man an Edgin and watch him bend it barehanded in front of me, his video(s) is hollywood magic. Chris Rice told me about a guy he knew growing up that could hold nuts on bolts while you tightened them with a wrench on the other end. Now I believe Chris so that has me re-evaluating how I feel about Gazza's bends.

The biggest bends I did in competition were 7x5/16 G8, 5.5"x5/16 Triangle G5, and 6"x5/16 FBBC Square. Had the threads snap off on a 6 3/8" x 5/16 G8 as well in competition when trying one of the "n" or "u" ones for the first time. Those were more brittle than the triangle's I normally bent down to 6" at that point. It's been a few years since I've had the bending bug though.

- Aaron

• Like 2

I don't know much about bending. So for those of you who are experienced: what are Gazza's bends equivalent to in, say, gripper closing?

Someone once told me Gazza's bends were like closing a #4 CCS with just the index finger. Is this true, was his bending SO MUCH ahead of the rest of the "best" benders out there???

I don't know much about bending. So for those of you who are experienced: what are Gazza's bends equivalent to in, say, gripper closing?

Someone once told me Gazza's bends were like closing a #4 CCS with just the index finger. Is this true, was his bending SO MUCH ahead of the rest of the "best" benders out there???

At the time I was at my peak I was probably closest of anyone to his level and I would have to compare his bends to a CCS or TNS of a hard BB Pro gripper. Most of his toughest bends are still beyond my abilities to comprehend.

- Aaron

• Like 1

At the time I was at my peak I was probably closest of anyone to his level and I would have to compare his bends to a CCS or TNS of a hard BB Pro gripper. Most of his toughest bends are still beyond my abilities to comprehend.

- Aaron

I think a good portion of his abilities too come from his mindset. That's something to see in itself. From watching his videos you just know he's going to go through whatever's in his way.

I had alot of dialogue with Gary Hunt and his strength was phenomenal but his mental fortitude allowed him to break through the pain barrier like no one else I have seen before or since. It is a pure travesty that he is no longer in the game because God knows what he would have been doing by now. I have to agree with others on this when we are speaking of a new group of benders like Paul, JT and Hannes not to mention the likes of David who is still putting some good steel down on occasion. I was there at the beginning of the bending craze and made a few significant bends for myself but the things that have followed is mind boggling to me but let's me know that where there is a will there is a way and a man to do it. I don't think we have seen the best that can be but we have seen some incrediable bends from some very gifted strength athletes in this genre. I wish all the legends would come back to meet up with the new blood and give it hell one more time... the excitement that once was seems to have dwindled some but the fire still burns in the hearts and minds of these warriors!

Could someone post a link or pm me one of his videos, I've been looking for his videos and just can't find them. I would really like to understand just what kind of bending Gazza was doing.

+1, I'm just starting to get into bending and I would love to see some of Gazza's bends for motivation. If someone could please post a link, I would really appreciate it.

• Like 1