Do Coated Grippers Count?

Sybersnott

I would like to know if a "coated gripper" would count as an official close when trying to get certified as a Captains Of Crush.  I have coated my grippers with PlastiDip, and some people use chalk..... but, when qualifying to close the CoC #3 -  does the gripper have to be "bare"?  It really doesn't matter, cuz' I can take it off my #3.  I'm just wondering about this;  I don't think we talked about it.

BTW, the only thing I don't use chalk on is the grippers themselves.  I saw the pic of Nick McKinless closing the #3, and it got me wondering.

My guess would be unaltered, even if it is coating.

Email Dr. Strossen and ask.

What's the big deal of taking it off for the Big Race?  

What's the big deal of not having a coating in the first place?

I still don't get it. :)

WannaGrip,

I "coat" the handles of my grippers, because the knurling was tearing the #### out of my hands.  I tried electrical tape and athletic tape - it didn't work too well.  The only stuff that did was the PlastiDip.  I am going to e-mail Strossen like you said and see what he says about it.  I just don't want to close it, and someone at IronMind tell me that it didn't count.  I agree with you, but some people like to get technical.... so that is the reason for the post.

Still can't comprehend...what are you doing these days for a workout?  In other words, can't comprehend why your hands don't build up callouses?

Take athletic tape and put over the tips of your fingers.  I did this for a while, and I finally said to #### with it.  I figured I'd either toughen up or bleed a lot.  After a while I toughened up.  Put the athletic tape on the fingers and then cover in chalk.  This will slip little if any.  Hope this helps.

This is my response to Mr. "I still don't get it".  I build callouses on my hands from doing heavy grip work - NOT from using the #### grippers!  The grippers guage my strength, but I do other kinds of grip work to build strength to CLOSE the grippers (i.e. the CoC #3).  Now.... do you understand?  .... or do you STILL not get it?

Again, if anything is on the gripper handles WHEN going for certification on the CoC #3, would you be disqualified if the handles are ANYTHING but bare?

Wannagrip, about grip training building callouses up: I don't know about Sybersnott, but I do know from climbing that some people just barely build any callouses (genetically), even after training hard.

Another thing: for me, the grippers don't rip the skin off my hands (apart on my pinkie), but sort of mash my hands' flesh, making it near to impossible for me to work grippers without rest days. So putting tape on the grippers could allow someone willing to do heavy-volume work on them not to be stopped by pain. Just my point of view.

train hard, david

Oh I get it now...the grippers don't give you callouses.

Must be a genetic thing, cause they pile on callouses on my hands.

And watch the tone please.  You seem to be the only one with it and it was the same way on the old gripboard (especially when a new person arrived and asked a question).

I don't think anyone here knows the answer to your question. Like I said, get it from the horse's mouth and ask Randy Strossen.  It doesn't matter what anyone says here, he's the judge.