Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

Wasn't planning any grip work tonight; felt off on grippers but really hit up pinch (brought out the IronMind Hub, haven't touched that one in some time and just missed getting 60 lbs on that sucker). Also have some new Tetting "Elites" in today as well (rated at 165 and 167, the 165 feels a lot harder than the 167 but it doesn't matter as long as it moves me towards my goal).

1) Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 (coc #1 all TNS).

2) Working Gripper: 5x1 (coc #3 closed at mms distance).

3) Rolling Thunder: 5x1 (129.2 lbs with the old handle and new handle).

4) IronMind Hub Pinch Grip: 8x1 (55.1 lbs, did it with 4.9 lbs but just missed on it :angry: next time you shall be mine).

5) 2 Hand Pinch Grip on an IronMind Blockbuster Pinch Grip: 8x1 (159.7 lbs, first time I've ever lifted this much with a 2 hand pinch grip).

• Like 2

Also have some new Tetting "Elites" in today as well (rated at 165 and 167, the 165 feels a lot harder than the 167

That's grippers and ratings for you and me. Figures. Strange huh.

• Like 1

Wasn't planning any grip work tonight; felt off on grippers but really hit up pinch (brought out the IronMind Hub, haven't touched that one in some time and just missed getting 60 lbs on that sucker). Also have some new Tetting "Elites" in today as well (rated at 165 and 167, the 165 feels a lot harder than the 167 but it doesn't matter as long as it moves me towards my goal).

1) Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 (coc #1 all TNS).

2) Working Gripper: 5x1 (coc #3 closed at mms distance).

3) Rolling Thunder: 5x1 (129.2 lbs with the old handle and new handle).

4) IronMind Hub Pinch Grip: 8x1 (55.1 lbs, did it with 4.9 lbs but just missed on it :angry: next time you shall be mine).

5) 2 Hand Pinch Grip on an IronMind Blockbuster Pinch Grip: 8x1 (159.7 lbs, first time I've ever lifted this much with a 2 hand pinch grip).

On the IronMind Hub (I feel like a fool, I forgot to add 3 lbs that was already on there :glare:, can't believe I forgot to add 3 lbs), the weight used was actually 58.1 lbs and missed 63 lbs on it. Just need to work on it some more and get 70 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Been sick the last week and half (all training was cut out). Threw in a little grip work while I did some rest in-between squating.

1) Squats: 4x5 (199.1 lbs).

2) Grippers: 4x3 (right hand)/ 1(single with the left hand) CoC #3 and GHP Level 7. mms set performed on the left, slightly wider set done for the right.

3) Dumbbell Curl: 4x2 (57.2 lbs).

4) Chest Expander Front Chest Pull: 4x5 (120 lbs force).

5) Dumbbell Military Press: 3x2 (57.2 lbs).

Edited by John McCarter

Feeling good today! Broke my all time best on Double Overhand Deadlifts (haven't worked normal deadlifts, only single hand). Last time I did any two-hand D.L. were back on June 7th and 9th, the time before that was over 3 years before. Also had the chance to play with my new PDA Rocky Dumbbell handle, I really like this handle I have. Also tried to work on the GHP Gripper Challenge last night with a Level 7; 3 attempts were made with 3 reps each, I just couldn't get the right shot for the video, guess I'll have to try that one for another day.

12/23/12 Workout) (Everything is considered fully lifted unless noted.)

1) Double Overhand Deadlift: 3x1 (Warm Up weight 350 lbs, working weight 402.9 lbs).

2) Squats: 3x5 (Weight at 204.8 lbs).

3) Dumbbell Curl: 3x2 (Weight at 58 lbs).

4) Chest Expander Front Chest Pull: 4x4 (120 lbs force).

5) Military Press: 2x2 (Weight at 68.2 lbs).

6) Standing Back Bends: 2x6.

• Like 1

Didn't really have a plan for today's workout, just messed with certain weights, also had the chance to use my new Manus Grips.

12/24/12 Workout)

1) Squats: Warm Up 1x5...Working Set 2x10 (all weight used 202.9 lbs). Felt like I could have done 20 straight reps.

2) Rolling Thunder (old handle): 3x2 (Weight at 124 lbs).

3) EZ-Curl with Manus Grip: 3x2 (Weight at 108.2 lbs).

4) Two-Hand Military Press with an Ez-curl Bar: 2x1 (strict lift) (Weight at 144.2 lbs).

5) Two-Hand Clean and Jerk with an Ez-Curl Bar: 2x1 (Weight at 180.8 lbs) (First time I have done this much with two hands.).

6) Pda Rocky Dumbbell Clean and Jerk: 3x3 (Weight at 73.2 lbs)

Not really a workout day, been holding off until I got my IM Super Squats Hip Belt in. Well, what do I find waiting for me? Bust it out (after some time I finally get it :glare:) and loaded up my loading pin and tested the waters with it. All I have to say is "wow, took the load off my back big time and really worked my legs" (I could actually do more reps with it than what I was using with my other squat setup). My lower-back and squating have never seen eye to eye, but since I have this new toy from IM, it will be put to great use in my workouts now. Also have in a pair of Fat Gripz (wish I would have saved my money on the Manus Grips now, they're good, but not want I want), and an unopened GHP 7, going to attempt the challenge again and move up if I can.

(All lifts are considered lifted unless noted.)

12/27/12 Workout)

1) IM Super Squats Hip Belt: 4x10 (Weight at 185.2 lbs) (This wasn't really to see how much I could lift, but only testing to see how it feels. Normally, I only do about 3 sets for 5 reps, 10 if I'm feeling strong, I think I could have done 20-30 straight reps on this sucker for 5 or 6 sets, I like it!)

• Like 1

Not really a workout day, been holding off until I got my IM Super Squats Hip Belt in. Well, what do I find waiting for me? Bust it out (after some time I finally get it :glare:) and loaded up my loading pin and tested the waters with it. All I have to say is "wow, took the load off my back big time and really worked my legs" (I could actually do more reps with it than what I was using with my other squat setup). My lower-back and squating have never seen eye to eye, but since I have this new toy from IM, it will be put to great use in my workouts now. Also have in a pair of Fat Gripz (wish I would have saved my money on the Manus Grips now, they're good, but not want I want), and an unopened GHP 7, going to attempt the challenge again and move up if I can.

(All lifts are considered lifted unless noted.)

12/27/12 Workout)

1) IM Super Squats Hip Belt: 4x10 (Weight at 185.2 lbs) (This wasn't really to see how much I could lift, but only testing to see how it feels. Normally, I only do about 3 sets for 5 reps, 10 if I'm feeling strong, I think I could have done 20-30 straight reps on this sucker for 5 or 6 sets, I like it!)

Cool. I've been very curious since I found out about it. Thanks.

Feeling slightly off tonight (pre-certification jitters for the MM2 coming up in a few days, shouldn't really have a problem since I was able to mash my rated 167 lb Elite without needing to warm up or to use any chalk the other day). Actually used the Super Squats Hip Belt for real this time (last time was only testing the waters with it), and was able to lift 36.2 lbs more than when I tested it out, really does work the legs in the right way. Going to do very little grip work this week.

12/30/12 Workout)

1) Super Squats Hip Belt: (1) (Warm Up set) 1x5 (Weight at 221.4 lbs)

(2) (Working set) 2x20 (same weight as the warm up)

2) Kettlebell Cleans: 2x5 (24 K.G.).

3) Chest Expander Front Chest Pull: 4x5 (120 lbs force, may add more resistance the next time I use this movement).

4) PDA Rocky Dumbbell Jerk: 2x3 (Weight at 73.2 lbs)

This was from yesterday's workout. Really pushed myself, this was also the last time I will be doing any grip work until after the MM2 gripper is done (really haven't done much grip work, just picking up and crushing certain levels and nothing more lately, so I wanted to really get in a good grip workout yesterday. All lifts are considered lifted or closed unless noted.)

12/30/12 Workout)

1) Deadlifts with Fat Gripz: 3x3 (Weight at 225.4 lbs).

2) Super Squats Hip Belt: 1x40 (Weight at 225.4 lbs) (Had the daisy chains set to a parallel distance, but no matter, at this distance it still worked my legs while keeping the pressure off my back.)

3) Ez Curl with Fat Gripz: 3x5 (Weight at 68.2 lbs).

4) Standing Back Bends: 2x5 (No weight used).

12/30/12 Grip Work)

1) Warm Up Gripper: 4x5 (RB100 TNS closes).

2) Silver Bullet Hold: 4x5 seconds (88 lb Tetting "Super Advance" gripper with a 5.1 lb weight plate).

3) Secret Weapon: 9x5 seconds (Weight at 265.3 lbs)

4) 2 Hand Pinch on IM Blockbuster: 4x2 (Weight at 142.6 lbs).

5) Homemade Wrist Roller: 3x10 forward and reverse (Weight at 139.6 lbs)

Since the MM2 came in, I'm laying off anything that would/will work my hands, so I did a simple workout with my Super Squats Hip Belt (man, I love that thing since it save my back). Everything is considered lifted unless noted.

12/31/12 Workout)

1) Super Squats Hip Belt: 1x40 (Weight at 229.4 lbs. Daisy Chains set to parallel distance).

the MM2 cert counts as a qualifier for the North American Grip Championship. any plans on trying to attend?

the MM2 cert counts as a qualifier for the North American Grip Championship. any plans on trying to attend?

Wow, did not know that and I am glad you shared that with me. Right now I don't really have any plans to attend any contest (yet) at this presant time; maybe sometime down the road when I have the chance to actually attend one I'll make it to one day.

Edited by John McCarter

Going to give the KTA program a go and see how it improve my gripper performance.

First round of KTA performed! Won't really report what I did since I don't want to give away what is in the program (only thing I will post is current grip routine since that is what I've been doing for a long time, but if it's dealing with KTA training, that won't be on here).

Going to lift some weights later. Before I finish, got in a new toy, the Sorinex "Mighty Mits Pop's Gripper", tested it out and I am blown away. Only problem I will have on that sucker is with the handles since they are huge. (Put the bands in the hardest positions and put on 35+ lbs and could not even lift the handles up, that will not last and cannot happen again :flame )

• Like 1

KTA techniques, I still use them. Frequency: killing for me. Curious to what your results will be. I also had trouble with doing that much in daily life besides work and such.

• Like 1

KTA techniques, I still use them. Frequency: killing for me. Curious to what your results will be. I also had trouble with doing that much in daily life besides work and such.

What I went through in the e-book, everything made sense to me and is right along with how I approach some aspects of my grip training. Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see where I end up when I make it through the program, maybe the #3.5 will become easy for me.

• Like 1

I got excellent results with kta (went from 122# SM to 149# 3 from march to may of last year) just don't overdo it on the negs... I stayed with smooth outs for great results injury free.. I think that's even more important at your level going from benchmark grippers to world class ones.. I'd hate to see you get injured

I got excellent results with kta (went from 122# SM to 149# 3 from march to may of last year) just don't overdo it on the negs... I stayed with smooth outs for great results injury free.. I think that's even more important at your level going from benchmark grippers to world class ones.. I'd hate to see you get injured

I've been using negatives in my grip training since 11-15-2011. I do include positive movements, but on negatives, I learned the hard way at the start, don't over do it! I came close to putting myself out only once, and if I ever felt I was pushing myself too much, that's when I knew I needed time off. I'm going to take notes after I do each workout, and if I notice anything I've done wrong, I'll be able to spot it.

Was feeling off, my Magnesium Deficiency was getting the better of myself tonight, it causes me to experience great head-pains that puts me out of working order. All lifts are considered lifted unless noted.

1/10/13 Workout)

1) Super Squats Hip Belt: (Warm Up) 1x5 (Weight at 99 lbs)...(Working) 1x20 (Weight at 232.4 lbs).

2) Dumbbell Curl: 3x3 (Weight at 53.2 lbs).

3) Military Dumbbell Press: 3x3 (Weight at 53.2 lbs).

4) Standing Back Bends: 2x5 (No weight used).

Just finished my first week of KTA, a little sore from doing it but really feel like it's working (won't really know until tomorrow when I test myself out on some grippers), also, this program has made my hands fatten up. Really seems like I'm going after the #3 Certification all over again, the only difference, I killed that sucker off sometime back :flame . KTA has a lot of similarities in what I've done before when I was really going after the #3 Certification, the only difference is the timeline in which I perform the movements (I did about 3 grip workout in that time-frame, and right now I'm attempting 6 grip workouts) and the distance in which I had to set the gripper to.

Did a simple workout last night, was busy so I had to really put in the effort of these movements.

1/15/13 Workout) (All lifts are considered lifted unless noted.)

1) Squats with the I.M. Super Squats Hip Belts: 1x20 (Weight at 186.8 lbs).

2) Kettlebell Military Press: 1x2 (24 k.g.).

3) Standing Back Bends: 1x4.

What techniques?

I read the KTA program maybbe 2 years ago and I just "ok, this is not for me and my slow recovery.".

If I do 3-5 max effort attempts on a heavy gripper today, I will be worn out more than a week on grippers. :O

What techniques?

I read the KTA program maybbe 2 years ago and I just "ok, this is not for me and my slow recovery.".

If I do 3-5 max effort attempts on a heavy gripper today, I will be worn out more than a week on grippers. :O

Can't really speak for Geralt, but what I can say is that when I was going for the #3 cert, I really had to find a new method to improve upon my crushing strength, call me a fool on this but I started looking at the training ideas of Joe Kinney. Just repping a gripper has never allowed my hands to progress to bigger grippers, when I found the ideas of Negative training (I've been doing negatives well over a year and only came close to 1 injury in that whole time, that was at the beginning and I learned how to listen to my body in when it says (bad work) you John), but one thing I never put together was the idea of Overcrush training, I did something similar but I would just grab bigger grippers and attempt single max efforts on grippers I couldn't close (trying to get the #3 I was using Tetting Elite/Super Elite, GHP Level 8, MM1 Replica) while also using grip machines.

My training for the #3 was very in line with the ideas presented in KTA, I should note, until this month I have never read or seen KTA (I guess subconsciously my mind found a way to use the same principals, call it fate or just dumb-luck on my part on how it worked out). But one thing I noted, if you want to close certain grippers, use a gripper (or grip machine) that is heavier than the strength you're at currently. I should note one thing as well, my recovery time is fast and that's why I'm able to perform KTA in the manner in which it is laid out.

• Like 1

You are NOT going to recover on this program fully until the peak and/or after it's over. If you think you will recover and not feel weaker a lot at times during the program (which it points out in the preface!!!), you have another thing coming....

You will also shock yourself and after warming up PR...seen it over and over again. I would DEEP into the program and into a week of training. You will adapt.

This program is NOT to be used all the time by the way. :)

• Like 1

You are NOT going to recover on this program fully until the peak and/or after it's over. If you think you will recover and not feel weaker a lot at times during the program (which it points out in the preface!!!), you have another thing coming....

You will also shock yourself and after warming up PR...seen it over and over again. I would DEEP into the program and into a week of training. You will adapt.

This program is NOT to be used all the time by the way. :)

You're right, I'm not at full grip strength like I normally am. And it's going to be interesting to see where I end up when I am done with the program.