Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

For the people who know me from the IronMind forum, thought I come over to the G.B. and thought I start a training log since I'm here. I'll update this log when I can.

Good to see you posting here John. Look forward to following your progress.

• Like 1

Good to see you posting here John. Look forward to following your progress.

Thanks. By the way, I tested myself out this morning on a hard 3 I have, it went down very easy, the #3 cert will be coming within the next month.

• Like 1

For those who are not familiar with myself, I’ve been training grip for five years now (I’ve never really been on forums that much, except in the case of the last year or so), until November of 2011, I was going nowhere and I had enough of it, over the next few months, I became truly determined to close the #3. I started looking at how I could improve, even if it was just a slight movement in a millimeter. I started using grip machines, which are the one aspects of my grip training which by far have facilitate my grip farther than just regular gripper use. Negatives are my main choice when I work my hands; I have done Joe Kinney style workouts (after I did my 3rd 60 rep workout on my secret weapon, I will never do that again), but I focus using about 9-15 singles on the Secret Weapon, always working on ways to improve the weight I’m using. (All the grippers I use have not been rated, so whatever I'm crushing on grippers, I have no clue what it is.)

Grip work 5/27/2012

1) Warm Up Gripper: 3x3 (GHP Level 4, TNS/Full Closes).

2) Secret Weapon: 9x10 seconds (156 lbs).

3) IronMind Hub Pinch Grip: 4x1 (62 lbs).

4) Wrist Roller: 4x10 (backwards and forwards) (156 lbs).

5) Expand your hand Bands: 5x20 seconds (Red Band).

Did some stone lifting for the first time yesterday. I was helping out a friend set up an area for a group meeting he had going, I took note of all the different kinds of stones around us. In my mind, I thought why not lift one or two. Since I've never done this before, I had no clue what I was doing, but I just went with the flow. I don't know how much the two stones weight came in at, so I'm just guessing it was around 50 or 60 lbs of odd mass I was handling.

1) Stone Military Press: 2x5 (50 or 60 lbs).

2) Stone Cleaning: 1x2 (50/60 lbs).

3) Pistols: 3x5 (Body-weight).

First time in nearly 3 years since I've done any real weightlifting (only reason I stopped was because of a Deltoid tear to my left arm). I was never really good at lifting, but it never hurt just to give it a go. Since it has been so long for myself, I just stuck with 137 lbs (total weight) (again, this is a 3 year lay off from any real weight training of any kind).

1) Deadlift: 3x1.

2) Power Cleans: 3x1.

3) Squats: 2x10.

4) Push Press: 3x3.

5) Single Arm Curl: 3x3 (45 lbs, using a noodle wrapped around the bar to work my grip).

Wasn't the best of days but it was better than nothing. Pinch grip wasn't as strong as it should be.

1) Warm up Gripper: 5x3 (RB100).

2) Secret Weapon: 9x10 seconds (162 lbs).

3) IronMind Hub: 4x1 (63.5 lbs).

4) Wrist Roller: 4x10 (152 lbs).

5) Expand Your Hand Bands: 3x20 seconds (Red Band).

• 2 weeks later...

Been a couple of days since I worked my grip; when I trained at Paul's, my lower arms went through one number of a work load. I just took it easy tonight, feeling my way through the workout.

1) Warm up gripper: 2x3 (RB100) TNS Closes.

2) Joe Kinney Grip Machine: 10x10 seconds (160lbs).

3) IronMind Hub: 3x5 (53.5lbs) (Took it easy on hubbing).

4) IronMind Blockbuster: 10x1 (99.5lbs) (Just starting to get into 2 hand pinching).

5) Wrist Roller: 4x10 (Both ways) (144.5lbs).

6) Expand Your Hand Bands: 3x20 seconds (Red Band).

• 4 weeks later...

Been some time since I last updated this. Here's a recording of today's grip workout.

• Like 2

Going to write down some new goals that I'll go for later this or next year.

1) Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 (RB100) T.N.S.

2) Secret Weapon: 9x5 seconds (201.6 lbs).

3) 2 Hand Pinching: 3x2 (110.6 lbs).

4) Wrist Roller: 4x10 (both ways) (111.7 lbs).

5) Expand Your Hand Bands: 4x20 seconds (Red Band).

• 4 weeks later...

I've been taking a short rest period from my current training, letting my body heal up from the abuse it has gone through.

The only thing I've been using is a gripper I've been really working on is the MM3 Replica, given it only a few goes but once I start working my grip within the next couple of days (maybe even a week if I so want it). I only have a little left to go on this gripper before it will be closed; I'm down to 4mm or 3mm. After this gripper is done I plan on obtaining a MM4 Replica.

I've been messing with learning how to really set grippers, and just setting grippers alone, I've never really put much effort on setting, the reason being is once I reach the 1 and half inch mark my physical limits are hindering my effort, thus is the reason I use a wider set in my closes. I'll give it as much of my attention as I can but if it does nothing I'll continue with the current way I place the gripper in my hand.

• Like 1

Here's an attempt I made on my MM3 Replica, I was having an off day with it but it shouldn't take me too much longer until I really put a beating on this gripper.

http://youtu.be/nCW9uxh_4rw

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I last updated this training log and thought I give it another shot. Right now, I've switched over from grippers to bending for some time. I'll do what I can to update this log when I can.

• Like 1

I don't really know much about bending. I messed with bending over the years, but nothing every really happened, I only started to really get into bending once I met J.T.; besides, most of the time I just wing what I'm doing.

Today's bending workout:

1) 5/16"x 6 inches crs in double suede wraps (only 1 bar was bent at this size).

2) 5/16"x 5 1/2 inches crs (again in double suede wraps), bent the bar to 50 or 60 degrees. (Only 1 bar)

3) Brace bent a 12 inch by 3/8" spike for cardio until the spike broke. I did this for 40 straight minutes.

4) IronMind Heavy Hammer 2: 4x10 with 25lbs for partial reps.

It's been a while since I last updated this training log and thought I give it another shot. Right now, I've switched over from grippers to bending for some time. I'll do what I can to update this log when I can.

I was about to say your MM3 attempt was close, looked real strong :mosher You'll do great at bending I bet in time

• Like 1

I was about to say your MM3 attempt was close, looked real strong :mosher You'll do great at bending I bet in time

Thanks man. I have an order of Red Nails on the way. Going to be interesting to see what I do with them.

Did a grip workout last night. May split grip/bending up 2 times a week and see how that works out. Worked on the mental and the physical aspects of last nights workout (stayed mentally relaxed before each attempt while breathing deep, then gave it everything when I went for the rep). Everything is counted as being lifted unless noted of a failed lift.

(Quick side-note, on the Secret Weapon, I have my own way of training on it; I'll include the video I made for it at the end of this update. Since I haven't updated in a long time of what I've been getting to on this machine, please understand I've gotten up in weight over the months I have used it.)

1) Warm Up Gripper (all TNS): Tetting Super Advance (rated @ 88 lbs): 4x5.

2) Secret Weapon: 9x5 seconds (249.3 lbs).

3) TTK: 5x20 (25.4 lbs).

4) IM Hub: 5x1 (53 lbs) (Failed 1 rep with my left hand.) (Been a few months since I've done this lift; hurt my left thumb while the hub slipped from my fingers.)

5) 2 Hand Pinching: 5x1 (103.4 lbs) (Just not good at pinching, but I'm going to be working on that.)

6) Expand Your Hand Bands: 2x20 seconds (Red Band)

• Like 2

Thanks man. I have an order of Red Nails on the way. Going to be interesting to see what I do with them.

Can't wait to hear how it goes with the Red :mosher

10/24/12 Workout

1) Club Swinging: 2 minutes with 2 lb clubs.

2) (1) Kettlebell Snatch: 1x100 (16 k.g.) (took 9 minutes and 3 seconds)

3) (2) Kettlebell Snatch: 3x2 (24 k.g.)

4) Bent Press: 2x5 (24 k.g.)

5) Chest Expander Front Chest Pull: 4x5 (100 lbs)

Did some grip work today with a grip machine I haven't used for some time. The machine is a Joe Kinney style grip machine (I'll post a video of the exact machine that was given to me, the only difference is I spray painted red).

10/31/12 Grip work)

1) Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 (TNS) (Tetting Super Advance rated @ 88lbs).

2) Joe Kinney Grip Machine: 9x10 seconds (212.4lbs).

3) TTK: 5x20 (31.2lbs).

4) Expand Your Hand Bands: 5x20 seconds (Red Band).

Did some grip work then I hit up a regular workout.

11/03/12 Grip Work

1) Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 (Super Advanced rated 88lbs) (TNS).

2) Joe Kinney Grip Machine: 9x5 seconds (weight @ 232.8lbs).

3) TTK: 6x20 (weight @ 35lbs).

11/03/12 Workout

1) Kettlebell Swings: 4x12 (70lb K.B.).

2) C.E. Front Chest Pull: 2x5 (100lbs)

3) Squats (haven't done these for a few weeks): 4x5 (weight @ 152.2 lbs)

• 2 weeks later...

Just been busy with area's of my life and haven't really had time to work on my grip and body much. The only thing that I've done in the last couple of day is playing with a #3 and almost closing a #3.5 (maybe less the 2-3mm from having those handles touch). Besides that, there's nothing to report on.

• 2 weeks later...

11/03/12 Grip Work

11/03/12 Workout

Don't you think your grip would benefit from doing full body work before grip to light up that CNS :)? I always grip better after my regular training.

11/03/12 Grip Work

11/03/12 Workout

Don't you think your grip would benefit from doing full body work before grip to light up that CNS :)? I always grip better after my regular training.

I was actually going to just do grip that day, but I figured why not throw in a full body workout as well.