Ghp Level 9 Closed

Wade Gillingham

As for Nathan Holle's weight: if you've read Chris James's log from 1-2 years ago in some entries he stated training with Nathan and the latter closing #4's from a CCS. He also mentioned Nathan was 230# if my memory serves me correct. I always had some doubts as if Mr. James was just kidding around with us.... but I guess he was serious! Wow....

I love that Nathan Holle is better than Silverback and others ever lied about being. Sigh... as for myself certifying on the #4 doesn't seem as bright an honor now in light of this turn of events. I think the GHP 9 sounds like a much more difficult goal to accomplish.

I've watched the video several times now, hoping to take away some important new insights about technique, training... anything. We've all witnessed a game-changing performance and I'm frustrated by how unremarkable this video is. All that I can take away is that having an insanely strong crush is quite helpful when closing grippers. Any other observations here fellas? Is anyone doing anything differently after watching this?

• Like 1

I'm still trying to comprehend the fact that someone out there is that strong, but one thing I think I noticed is that he sort of "doubles" his set--the initial set seems to be just to get his finger tips on it in a decent power position, then "another set" to get the gripper into position for the block swipe. Can't really tell where exactly his setting hand goes between the "first" and "second" sets, but it seems like it's two, distinct efforts which is interesting.

Anyone else notice this?

I've watched the video several times now, hoping to take away some important new insights about technique, training... anything. We've all witnessed a game-changing performance and I'm frustrated by how unremarkable this video is. All that I can take away is that having an insanely strong crush is quite helpful when closing grippers. Any other observations here fellas? Is anyone doing anything differently after watching this?

That's funny...I watched your MM7 and thought the same thing. Heh. One observation...seriously thick pads on his thumb/palm. The gripper was just locked in on that shelf. I think I'm going to make more of an effort to lever.

Tim, you've made a very important statement here buddy! This was a "game changing" performance for sure! Unlike yourself, I honestly wasn't expecting to see any more than I did knowing what I know about the Holle brothers. In this instance, Nathan. Nathan lays out in the COC book precisely how he goes about training grippers. It's nothing secretive or voodoo magic or anything unusual or unique. It's a simple concept of progressive resistance that he has stuck with over time.

One BIG problem I have observed over the years with gripper training is inconsistency. About the time an individual gets a good base in their training they "switch" to something else when in reality they never gave the program they outlined a honest chance in the first place. With Nathan this is not the case. He has consistently stayed with his plan of progression and the dividends that were paid back are obviously HUGE!

It seems every time someone closes a BIG gripper everyone wants to know how they trained. The thinking is that if plan A worked for person X then plan A will work for everyone. This is fallacious thinking at its best! It's actually pretty simple! It's a physiological fact that the human body adapts to and becomes better at what you expose it to if the adaptation is not beyond one's ability to recover. Basically, if you practice closing BIG grippers, you'll get better at closing BIG grippers. If you practice lifting thick bars, you'll get better at lifting thick bars, etc.... Sure, there's carry over with certain movements but the basic premise is the same. You get better at what you practice! If someone keeps switching around all the time just because someone else accomplished what they haven't yet is not reason enough to abandon your plan and jump on their bandwagon.

I apologize for getting off the path here but I felt this is something often overlooked and needed to be said.

Now, get back to that GHP9 Tim! LOL!

Edited by Mighty Joe

I'm still trying to comprehend the fact that someone out there is that strong, but one thing I think I noticed is that he sort of "doubles" his set--the initial set seems to be just to get his finger tips on it in a decent power position, then "another set" to get the gripper into position for the block swipe. Can't really tell where exactly his setting hand goes between the "first" and "second" sets, but it seems like it's two, distinct efforts which is interesting.

Anyone else notice this?

I saw that as well. At first I thought the first set attempt was botched, but then I saw him do the same double set in a different video. Wonder if it produces a ratcheting effect.

That's funny...I watched your MM7 and thought the same thing. Heh. One observation...seriously thick pads on his thumb/palm. The gripper was just locked in on that shelf. I think I'm going to make more of an effort to lever.

After closing the MM7 I posted my training program in great detail, and then was readily available to respond to many many questions via emails and PM's. In my MM6 thread you'll find some still pics with my thoughts about the proper set position. With Holle... nothing. I agree that his pinky pad seems to play a huge part in his success and that's one area where I could improve.

Tim, you've made a very important statement here buddy! This was a "game changing" performance for sure! Unlike yourself, I honestly wasn't expecting to see any more than I did knowing what I know about the Holle brothers. In this instance, Nathan. Nathan lays out in the COC book precisely how he goes about training grippers. It's nothing secretive or voodoo magic or anything unusual or unique. It's a simple concept of progressive resistance that he has stuck with over time...

Joe, I have no desire to mindlessly parrot whatever someone else is doing. At the higher levels of performance, every little detail matters. Who knows, maybe everyone will now begin doing a ratcheting double set and stop trimming their finger nails and we'll all experience some small breakthroughs. Also, I totally agree with you that time and persistence are probably the most important keys to success, and I agree that sticking to the plan is very important, but I disagree to the extent you are suggesting that following PR as the sole training method is the best approach.

• Like 1

Tim, you've made a very important statement here buddy! This was a "game changing" performance for sure! Unlike yourself, I honestly wasn't expecting to see any more than I did knowing what I know about the Holle brothers. In this instance, Nathan. Nathan lays out in the COC book precisely how he goes about training grippers. It's nothing secretive or voodoo magic or anything unusual or unique. It's a simple concept of progressive resistance that he has stuck with over time...

Joe, I have no desire to mindlessly parrot whatever someone else is doing. At the higher levels of performance, every little detail matters. Who knows, maybe everyone will now begin doing a ratcheting double set and stop trimming their finger nails and we'll all experience some small breakthroughs. Also, I totally agree with you that time and persistence are probably the most important keys to success, and I agree that sticking to the plan is very important, but I disagree to the extent you are suggesting that following PR as the sole training method is the best approach.

Nope! Not suggesting that at all.

Many other factors have to be taken into account depending on the individuals level of strength, how long been training, imbalances

in the individual, etc. ad nauseum. What I'm saying/suggesting is that countless data, year after year shows that PR at it's most basic level

does in fact work. Consistency being the key. I believe just as strongly that PR combined with proper neural training is the future of closing

BIG grippers.

I hope I didn't show any disrespect here Tim. Not my intention at all. I believe you and several others are just as capable of closing the GHP9

with a block just as Nathan has done. May take more time but nonetheless you'll do it with consistent training and progress. Keep in mind Tim

that you climbed a the MM ladder quicker than anyone to date so don't in any way underestimate your own capabilities. You and several others

are my Gripper Hero's!!!

And Yes! Every little detail may or may not matter. Depends on the individual and how that individual practices.

Make sense?

Lastly, Nathan has been at closing BIG grippers for years now.

Edited by Mighty Joe

I have tried most peoples programs with some success. Yes as a newb I parroted Paul, Tim, Heath, and some others.

I think there is a learning curve for everyone where you have to figure out what helps or hurts you. I think it is wise to follow people who were successful in strength gain AND did not cripple them self. This is why I didn’t follow the Kinney approach of "negatives" mania.

Anyhoo my hands are healthy and I’m inching forward. My second round of RRBT has been helping and I may make it a yearly thing.

• Like 1

After closing the MM7 I posted my training program in great detail, and then was readily available to respond to many many questions via emails and PM's. In my MM6 thread you'll find some still pics with my thoughts about the proper set position. With Holle... nothing. I agree that his pinky pad seems to play a huge part in his success and that's one area where I could improve.

Ah...I see the point you are making. Nathan is a bit of a "will o' the wisp." I have been here a year and haven't come close to going over all the available content (unsurprising as there is a ton). Thanks for pointing me to the thread...and thanks for sharing all that info. Now that I think about it, I do recall several people making reference to your program in other threads/blogs.

• Like 2

I think its important for everyone to experiment and find the training program that works best for them. I have read countless weight lifting programs over 9+ years of training. I used all of them at one point or another and evaluated my progress. I eventually found the ones that works best for me. I'm doing the same thing with grip training. I always try to adapt and improve when the progress pauses. I'm actually using Tim's program for grippers right now since doing heavy single all the time was taking its toll on me. I might change again in a couple months to make my body adopt again.

• Like 2

Yes, Tim there is something that I am going to be doing differently after watching this: I'm going to get my boney butt to the gym and put on another 30lbs of muscle! It is a pipedream for me to think I will cert bigger grippers like the #4 and GHP 9 with my current build. Heck I probably won't get to as good as Chez or Daniel if I don't start adding some muscle. All of the legitimate gripper guys on the #3.5, #4, MM7, GHP 8, and GHP 9 lists are big ass dudes! Take you for example Tim: you are almost my height with 40lbs on me. Having a bigger thumb pad and pinkie pad will help and these things will be more likely to happen if I get into that weight room and pump iron. Yes, he does use a double set and I have experimented with it and achieved some good results. My only problem is since I don't have a huge thumb and pinkie pad a quick, efficient set is always on my mind. The luxury to set at different ways at different angles to put you in a better position is something my skinny palm cannot afford yet. However, if I did have a meatier hand this could be something that might help more than my traditional set.

-Jordan

• Like 1

I didnt think of the double set as a new technique. I believe he didnt set it good the first time so he resetted it. Anyway i also believe that Nathan should write a book on his achievement and how he trained. This will really, really help people to acheive goals. Joe Kinney had many great ideas like the secret weapon, grip machine, negatives (which i dont like), extended handles, shaving the gripper and so on. Nathan maybe doing different stuff, or just simply closing grippers who know. I also heard that the Holles were bending big G8 long ago sometime in 2007! So they should share their info with peiple like writting a book or few articles.

I think its important for everyone to experiment and find the training program that works best for them. I have read countless weight lifting programs over 9+ years of training. I used all of them at one point or another and evaluated my progress. I eventually found the ones that works best for me. I'm doing the same thing with grip training. I always try to adapt and improve when the progress pauses. I'm actually using Tim's program for grippers right now since doing heavy single all the time was taking its toll on me. I might change again in a couple months to make my body adopt again.

Yes you are very correct i totally agree. No one method will help anyone. We shpuld see what works best for us.

As far as his set it just looked he was walking his fingers to get a good set like in Pauls set video. I dont know why he touched it twice other than he was not happy with how it felt the 1st time.

I have tried most peoples programs with some success. Yes as a newb I parroted Paul, Tim, Heath, and some others.

I think there is a learning curve for everyone where you have to figure out what helps or hurts you. I think it is wise to follow people who were successful in strength gain AND did not cripple them self. This is why I didn’t follow the Kinney approach of "negatives" mania.

Anyhoo my hands are healthy and I’m inching forward. My second round of RRBT has been helping and I may make it a yearly thing.

Rich, quoting you here:

"I think there is a learning curve for everyone where you have to figure out what helps or hurts you."

I say BINGO to this! :rock

Only thing I would add is that the individual MUST keep a training journal to figure out what

works for them. ;) I think a big issue athletes have is when they plateau and their progress stops. Then it's time to

go back to that training journal you've been keeping and analyze and re-evaluate your situation and make appropriate

modifications/changes.

Good post Rich!!! :)

Edited by Mighty Joe
  • Like 2

Chez, quoting you here:

"I think its important for everyone to experiment and find the training program that works best for them."

I say BINGO to this also!!! :rock

You said my favorite word when it comes to the context of strength training of any sort, EXPERIMENT!!! :rock

Right on my friend!!! :rock

• Like 1

As far as his set it just looked he was walking his fingers to get a good set like in Pauls set video. I dont know why he touched it twice other than he was not happy with how it felt the 1st time.

Rich, what do you make of the set on this video? Another bad first set, or is this an intentional technique?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgbMaU5_OI

Edited by Tim Struse

I see the second attempt as getting comfortable AKA the best possible position. He walked his fingers twice. I do the finger walk thing which is a huge tip I picked up from the vid PK made.

I don’t see any advantage of doing it twice if you got it just right the first time but you know what a difference the perfect set can make.

Also I like to set it deep like he did then open up to the desired with and then close. It seems to keep the skin and stuff tighter and helps. Its a little extra energy but it seems to help me. I feel not worthy of giving you tips BTW :blush

I watched the vid attached now and still feel the same way. The #4 vid was not much of a set at all at 1st. More like he was feeling the spring or warming up or both.

Edited by RichAZ

Rich, what do you make of the set on this video? Another bad first set, or is this an intentional technique?

Regarding this video, when it first came out I was totally blown away. I said at that time to several people that this was the greatest feat of gripper strength ever captured on video. Like many on this board, I recognize how incredibly difficult doing 7 reps with any unaltered CoC #4 is, regardless of the set or opening of the reps. I confirmed with Nathan that this video was in fact him but he did not post it on YouTube or authorize it's use. It's a toss up for me which feat of strength was more impressive to witness - the GHP 9 close with a set block or 7 reps with a CoC #4 - both are out of this world.

Wade

• Like 1

I may certainly be wrong but after looking at the GHP9 and #4 vids of Nathan, it looks to me like the "double set" is not an accident. It's hard to tell from his setting hand blocking the view but it looks to me like he sets once to get his index and middle fingers in better position, then sets again with the help of those first 2 fingers to wrap his ring and pinky fingers. Given the fact the merely setting grippers at this level is a hell of a feat, it makes sense to me to employ a little extra help from the index and middle fingers on the closing hand. Could just be a coincidence but this seems like a reasonable hypothesis. 2 videos, 2 of the same set. Are there any other videos of Nathan closing grippers out there to see if he always sets this way?

• Like 1

Regarding this video, when it first came out I was totally blown away. I said at that time to several people that this was the greatest feat of gripper strength ever captured on video. Like many on this board, I recognize how incredibly difficult doing 7 reps with any unaltered CoC #4 is, regardless of the set or opening of the reps. I confirmed with Nathan that this video was in fact him but he did not post it on YouTube or authorize it's use. It's a toss up for me which feat of strength was more impressive to witness - the GHP 9 close with a set block or 7 reps with a CoC #4 - both are out of this world.

Wade

they are equally impressive. It gives us a felling of what kind of strength is needed to close the GHP9, which is total domination of the #4. Sounds like this man has ben CCSing the #4 and GM for years from reading old posts. I wondered why he didn’t re-cert on the #4 but then I thought why he would bother with going through the whole process of hooking up with a judge etc. when he has already certed on the #4 anyway.

I have been talking to Tetting about getting a T14 made. As most know he likes to talk at length and he was bringing up that Connecticut guy ( I forget his name but I have it written down as well as what town he’s in) anyhow from what’s been said he can TNS a GE! So don’t be surprised if another comes out of nowhere and certs on that 9.

• 2 weeks later...

That was very impressive. I always assumed the seven reps with the #4 video was fake because of the way it was first presented but glad that's not the case. That guy is strong!