Ghp Level 9 Closed

Wade Gillingham

Last week I posted on the GHP facebook fan page (http://www.facebook.com/gillinghamhp) that someone closed the GHP Level 9. Now 8 days later I have a video of the same person not only closing it, doing it with the GHP Set Block and measuring the gripper with a digital micrometer, all within the rules of the GHP Gripper Challenge (http://www.gillinghamhp.com/gc.aspx). I just posted a photo of the close to the fan page. Take a look and while you are there, Like the fan page so you can keep up on all the current news about the GHP line and the GHP Gripper Challenge. I will be analyzing the video and making a decision soon.

• Like 6

Dam, That is nuts. I'm dieing to see the video and know who did it. I'm thinking its Christian Loewe based on the pic since it kind of looks like his hand.

Whoa. Wade, has the gripper been RGC'd?

It does look similar to Christian's hand but I'm also wondering if it's

the guy Warren has been telling me about that is laying low? If the guy Warren

is talking about is doing half of what he claims he's already light years ahead of

everyone currently closing grippers.

When I speak with Warren again I'll get his name. I believe he said he's from Connecticut.

maybe. I don't hardly bother with telephone claims but you never know who's out there

and what they're capable of doing with their hands.

It does look similar to Christian's hand but I'm also wondering if it's

the guy Warren has been telling me about that is laying low? If the guy Warren

is talking about is doing half of what he claims he's already light years ahead of

everyone currently closing grippers.

When I speak with Warren again I'll get his name. I believe he said he's from Connecticut.

maybe. I don't hardly bother with telephone claims but you never know who's out there

and what they're capable of doing with their hands.

If the guy lives in CT, I'll take a trip to meet him and see this power for myself. I'm near by in NY.

Looking forward to the results. Wade, what would you say is the average RGC for 9?

the gripper superstore has the ghp 9 at 226.30 and the coc #4 at 214.19. crazy strong close.

Actually, 214 is an average based on 34 different CoC #4 grippers from 195-233, the GHP 9 is a single RGC. Regardless, I do agree with your second part...it is a crazy strong close.

a legit GHP 9 close (especially with a 1.5 inch block set) would be the biggest gripper, with the biggest set closed, to date (based off internet searches for the last 4 hours) regardless of averages.

and i think if rgc averages of another gripper were to rob the closee of the feat, then a rating of 34 different GHP level 9's would clear things up. ya?

with that said, i think it would make it official, that whoever the guy is that closed the GHP 9, is the strongest on grippers. ever.

and even if it turns out that this particular gripper were to rate on the exact same level as the highest rated #4 close - (

...SWEDEN.....207.00....#4)

, it will have been done with a wider set. a GHP set block. which would, in turn, make it official as the strongest close to date.

I think you have good points. That said, if it indeed such a close (strongest ever), than I would expect that this person will soon CCS the CoC #4 (the first official one ever...ignoring Kinney's near no set video). I feel like we are entering a different age now with grippers. I love the GHP block and would love that to become the standard (though I'm not holding my breath heh).

Wade, dude, c'mon, spill!

LMAO! ..i know, right?! :laugh

..i already talked with Paul, he says it wasnt him..

Tim?..

Jonathan?..

and whoever it is, didnt even use chalk.. holy crap..

Not me - I could only wish.

I hadn't noticed the lack of chalk - good eye. I have a feeling it's just the beginning for whoever this person is.

Edited by Tim Struse

Why is the identity of the person a secret? :shutup::ninja::ph34r:

Let me get this straight: I have an atomgripz 5 band which calibrates at 214lbs and you are telling me that someone closed a gripper from a 1.5" set block or 5/8" less than a CCS on a gripper upwards of 10 lbs harder than this? Hmmm I'm not saying I don't believe that (just thinking it quietly to myself), but I am saying I'd have to meet the guy and see him do it in person. Just so we are clear: we are talking about a gripper 20lbs harder than what Paul Knight can do (205lb #4) WITH a 1.5" set block? If he can he would be like Kobe Bryant on a planet full of 6th graders playing ball. Just my thoughts, not trying to be negative or a troll.

I have a few more sets of eyes looking at this just to make sure we all agree on how to proceed.

who says this isnt someone with a #4 cert already?.. unlikely, but who knows. also, if they arent certified on a #4, why would he take a step back and cert a #4 as this is a harder gripper?

Not trying to single you out here buddy but here is what I know about most of the 5 hands on that #4 list:

Joe Kinney: Joe's hand is now injured and the fingers aren't as long and would look a good deal older=what you have here is a much younger man.

Nathan Holle: No too familiar with his hand, and I have heard he can CCS close an old #4 and a new #4 but have never seen it. I know Nathan Holle is an ellusive individual and a strong man of few words type thing but certainly legit. However, I think he is also a bit older than the guy in this pic.

David Morton: Dave is extremely strong and many people that I've talked to say he is the strongest on grippers they have ever met. I've heard a report of him closing a 188lb RB 330 AFTER an entire day at a grip competition. The guy handed Dave the gripper while dave was sitting down and he did 5-6 reps with it at parallel or wider WHILE seated (this is to mean he didn't really get his full strength into the set). By all accounts Dave has retired several years ago from grip. Too bad too he was/is a ledgend.

Tommy Helsep: Tommy is a lean guy and is still quite strong. Having seen numerous videos of Tommy's training I can say with certainty that the hand is not tommy's. Also, while Tommy is a great guy I don't think he is as strong as he once was ON GRIPPERS. Nevertheless, tommy is quite strong and has advanced grip a great deal by following his own path.

Magnus Samuelson: Well it's not Magnus because you can see the gripper :grin: MS's hand ENGULFS the gripper and he can in fact only get 3 fingers on the handle while he had to try to lift his pinkie to prove that it was shut. So Magnus is out.

Conclusion: none of the #4 closers are the man in the picture. The only possible exception is Nathan Holle and only because I haven't seen his hand in a video/pic. If this level 9 closer is legit he is as beyond Paul, Tim, and Jonathan are they are beyond the two of us right now. And that raises red flags in my mind.

• Like 2

i agree.

i also agree with Wade in being careful of making it official, as this will be a big mark in grip/gripper history. he will assume a "Joe Kinney" type status as being the first to officially close a harder gripper than anyone has.. what gets me interested, is that Wade is one of the top tier grip guys, and HE himself has said he thinks this close is legit. that holds a lot of weight man.

..now i just need to see it myself :grin:

Agreed. Wade is a serious closer and his word does carry a lot of weight. I think with a level 9 close we should be able to actually have someone who is a gripper judge witness this. But then that isn't part of the certification at the time of the certification. Its a tough call either way for Wade. That man has a lot on his plate with this one.

I have a few more sets of eyes looking at this just to make sure we all agree on how to proceed.

A good idea for sure.

If it is that German guy then I would find it hard to believe because he had a rough time closing the 8 and not much time has passed from when he did the 8 cert. If this is legit I think Wade should send a brand new 9 over there and have it opened out of the bag so we know it has not been tampered with. There are some very smart people out there that could manipulate a gripper!

However !! If this is legit.... Congrats because this is one stout gripper!!

Also who ever did this was completely still when they closed it to get that clear of a shot.

If it is that German guy then I would find it hard to believe because he had a rough time closing the 8 and not much time has passed from when he did the 8 cert. If this is legit I think Wade should send a brand new 9 over there and have it opened out of the bag so we know it has not been tampered with. There are some very smart people out there that could manipulate a gripper!

However !! If this is legit.... Congrats because this is one stout gripper!!

after looking at the german guy's ghp 8 video and that picture, i don't think they are the same hand. the ghp 9 pic appears to have longer fingers and longer nails.

aay.jpg

pedro alberni COC #3 cert at 18 yo in 2001

534255_454641474550128_389872721027004_1775586_334148344_n.jpg

Mystery GHP 9 closer

11 years may have added some serious strength and beef to his hands. he would still be relatively young.

Edited by bubba29

also, if they arent certified on a #4, why would he take a step back and cert a #4 as this is a harder gripper?

Why do people still climb K2?

It's a challenge man, a notch in the belt...and besides, chicks dig #4 closers. :grin:

being that Wade has had to review/is reviewing the close vid a few times, i assume its someone who cant shoot a cert close worth a flip.

that said, if its someone who doesnt use chalk, and someone who also has a hard time with vids, then it MUST be the German guy (Mr. Baseline) as he fits the best in this category, and is the only other guy to have (plausibly) been even in the ballpark of this gripper besides Paul, Tim, and Jonathan..

i feel like im playing Clue here..

twas the German fella who dunnit!!

I think you are correct. The clues add up. Crap video, no chalk, closing big grippers!