Mighty Joe's Wall Of Grip Video Series!

mightyjoe

The Russian guys name I couldn't think of in this video was Pavel Tsatsouline where I

read about radiant tension.

I was just about to tell you that! He also calles it muscular irridation.

Great job with the video, friend!

Great stuff Joe, mini correction Robert Baraban is from Austria not Australia.

Yes! You're correct!

I made a corrective note in the info box below the YouTube video.

To be honest, I thought they was the same. LOL! Geography is not my specialty.

Thanks for pointing this out as someone else has also done too.

Working on downloading video #4 NOW!

QUICK UPDATE:

Download didn't take.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Sorry!

Very interesting stuff, as usual!

About the radiant tension, don't think I do this now. Next workout I'll try to consciously practice it and I'll report back if I see results from it.

Thanks Joe!

So last night I tried to consciously employ all four of the techniques you have suggested and I hit no less than 3 PR's:

GHP6 block close

#3 closed from 42mm choked - previous best 40mm

MM1 replica closed from 24mm choked - previous best 20mm (a full 4mm increase!)

While the evidence that the techniques made a difference is of course only circumstantial, this is a big deal to me and I struggle to understand the relative lack of feedback from other gripsters.

Do everybody already train this way? Does it not work for others? Have others not tried?

Edited by Magnus Gustafsson

About the radiant tension, don't think I do this now. Next workout I'll try to consciously practice it and I'll report back if I see results from it.

Thanks Joe!

So last night I tried to consciously employ all four of the techniques you have suggested and I hit no less than 3 PR's:

GHP6 block close

While the evidence that the techniques made a difference is of course only circumstantial, this is a big deal to me and I struggle to understand the relative lack of feedback from other gripsters.

Do everybody already train this way? Does it not work for others? Have others not tried?

Magnus, I can't speak for individuals but I had not seen this mentioned nor brought up even by the most

experienced gripsters out there. I've noticed the lack of feedback as well and I can only assume the reasons except

to say some people just don't post unless it has their interests in mind. I'm speaking for myself as well. There's many times

I could and want to comment about numerous topics but I simply don't have the time to sit here and type a 30 minute reply.

I'm assuming this is probably the main reason. One thing I can assure you is these techniques will work for anyone and

everyone! Without a doubt! I've noticed in my testing that after the subject has grooved these motor patterns and have

practiced in several times, their numbers ALWAYS go up.

Which brings up another topic of setting grippers. In one of my future videos I'm going to go over several things that

I've discovered about setting grippers that I've yet to see as well. Again, it has to do with anatomy!

What lesson is to be learned from what I've just said? Study anatomy folks! Understand the why and the how of everything you do.

If you can't answer why you're doing a movement, don't do it until you answer that question! Why? I'll answer this in another video

in the series.

Out of time! AGAIN!

Video #4 before Friday!

Thanks Joe!

GHP6 block close

Magnus, I can't speak for individuals but I had not seen this mentioned nor brought up even by the most

experienced gripsters out there. I've noticed the lack of feedback as well and I can only assume the reasons except

to say some people just don't post unless it has their interests in mind. I'm speaking for myself as well. There's many times

I could and want to comment about numerous topics but I simply don't have the time to sit here and type a 30 minute reply.

I'm assuming this is probably the main reason. One thing I can assure you is these techniques will work for anyone and

everyone! Without a doubt! I've noticed in my testing that after the subject has grooved these motor patterns and have

Which brings up another topic of setting grippers. In one of my future videos I'm going to go over several things that

I've discovered about setting grippers that I've yet to see as well. Again, it has to do with anatomy!

What lesson is to be learned from what I've just said? Study anatomy folks! Understand the why and the how of everything you do.

If you can't answer why you're doing a movement, don't do it until you answer that question! Why? I'll answer this in another video

in the series.

Out of time! A

Video #4 before Friday!

This stuff is in Jedd's Crush! Total Gripper Domination dvd.

Edited by jchap

Thanks Joe!

GHP6 block close

in the series.

Out of time! A

Video #4 before Friday!

Jchap, Interesting! I own that dvd and I didn't see these tips. Jedd mentioned whole body tension (radiant tension)

but I must have skipped over or entirely missed the anatomical advantage tips. Point me to the chapter so I can check it out.

I can assure everyone I learned these anatomical advantages on my own and from a strict study of anatomy along

with actual testing of volunteers with my Baseline Dynamometer to gauge the results. If Jedd has taught this prior I for sure

want to credit him for sharing this knowledge prior to me sharing here. It's just mind boggling NO ONE ever mentions these

advantages. I just contacted Jedd to point me to the section of the dvd that Jchap refers.

I will list the anatomy book with page numbers on the explanation of why screws were made to tighten right handed (supination)

because anatomically this position is stronger for crush grip (power grip as doctors say).

Can't believe I missed this! I guess it could be old news, uh?

I guess the stuff on setting grippers isn't worth mentioning. Probably old news as well.

Thanks in advance for pointing out these sections in the dvd Jchap!

Edited by Mighty Joe

Thanks Joe!

GHP6 block close

in the series.

Out of time! A

Video #4 before Friday!

Jchap, Interesting. I own that dvd and I didn't see these tips. Jedd mentioned whole body tension (radiant tension)

but I must have skipped over or entirely missed the anatomical advantage tips. Point me to the chapter so I can check it out.

Can't believe I missed this. I guess it's old news, uh?

I guess the stuff on setting grippers isn't worth mentioning. Probably old news as well.

Thanks in advance for pointing out these sections in the dvd!

Please Joe, keep the tips coming, their working for me. I can't afford to buy every DVD out there. I wish I could!!

Thanks

Mike

Edited by mfin77

Thanks Joe!

GHP6 block close

in the series.

Out of time! A

Video #4 before Friday!

Jchap, Interesting. I own that dvd and I didn't see these tips. Jedd mentioned whole body tension (radiant tension)

Can't believe I missed this. I guess it's old news, uh?

Thanks in advance for pointing out these sections in the dvd!

Please Joe, keep the tips coming, their working for me. I can't afford to buy every DVD out there. I wish I could!!

Thanks

Mike

Thanks Mike but I want to give credit where credit is due here.

If Jedd shared this previously I want to recognize this for sure.

The point I want to make is I learned this through self-study and testing!

I even own the dvd in question! This is why I can't believe I missed these section(s).

Take care...

Thanks Joe!

GHP6 block close

in the series.

Out of time! A

Video #4 before Friday!

Jchap, Interesting! I own that dvd and I didn't see these tips. Jedd mentioned whole body tension (radiant tension)

I can assure everyone I learned these anatomical advantages on my own and from a strict study of anatomy along

with actual testing of volunteers with my Baseline Dynamometer to gauge the results. If Jedd has taught this prior I for sure

want to credit him for sharing this knowledge prior to me sharing here. It's just mind boggling NO ONE ever mentions these

advantages. I just contacted Jedd to point me to the section of the dvd that Jchap refers.

I will list the anatomy book with page numbers on the explanation of why screws were made to tighten right handed (supination)

because anatomically this position is stronger for crush grip (power grip as doctors say).

Chapter 4.

Joe, I am not saying you didn't figure this out on your own. But, Jedd spends quite a bit of time and detail in chapter 4 talking about supinating the forearm/hand, extending the arm, and radiant tension. I don't know if he mentions cocking the wrist, he demonstrates every close with a cocked wrist though. You did go into some pretty good detail about the wrist cocking, even suggestiong 10-15 degrees (if I remember correctly).

I didn't say anything when I first saw your videos because what does it really matter, we are all learning. But, a poster made the comment that he was surprised no one else was commenting on these tips and wondered if others practiced these techniques. You then mentioned that you hadn't seen these techniques mentioned by any other gripsters. I was shocked because I was already doing these techniques because of Jedd's DVD. I thought I'd point it out. That is why I hadn't commented on the tips. I was already doing them. I am sure if I hadn't seen Jedd's DVD I would have commented that your tips helped me close harder grippers.

We all enjoy your videos, Joe. You are enthusiastic and want to share your vast knowledge. Keep it up.

Edited by jchap

in the series.

Out of time! AGAIN!

Video #4 before Friday!

Finally locked down and watch #3. Loving the series Joe. I'm quite pleased to hear that it's been extended. Thanks for producing it. (BTW...I'm getting the impression you love grip. :) )

Thanks Joe!

GHP6 block close

in the series.

Out of time! A

Video #4 before Friday!

Chapter 4.

Joe, I am not saying you didn't figure this out on your own. But, Jedd spends quite a bit of time and detail in chapter 4 talking about supinating the forearm/hand, extending the arm, and radiant tension. I don't know if he mentions cocking the wrist, he demonstrates every close with a cocked wrist though. You did go into some pretty good detail about the wrist cocking, even suggestiong 10-15 degrees (if I remember correctly).

I didn't say anything when I first saw your videos because what does it really matter, we are all learning. But, a poster made the comment that he was surprised no one else was commenting on these tips and wondered if others practiced these techniques. You then mentioned that you hadn't seen these techniques mentioned by any other gripsters. I was shocked because I was already doing these techniques because of Jedd's DVD. I thought I'd point it out. That is why I hadn't commented on the tips. I was already doing them. I am sure if I hadn't seen Jedd's DVD I would have commented that your tips helped me close harder grippers.

We all enjoy your videos, Joe. You are enthusiastic and want to share your vast knowledge. Keep it up.

Joel, you are absolutely correct my friend! I went to bed late last night because I went through the dvd

again to see for myself. I must have skipped over chapter 4. I didn't see any of it till last night.

I hope no one got the impression that I knew something no one else did. I had just never heard it mentioned

before last night. I've even shared this with Paul Knight, Eric Milfeld and many other experienced grip guys and they found it

very interesting indeed and had not heard of it either.

Hats off to my good friend Jedd Johnson for previously sharing this knowledge. I feel embarrassed that I missed this and there's

no surprise here that Jedd knew this. Jedd is TOPS in my opinion on anything Grip! It's ironic that this has come up because

I mentioned in a previous post that there's one ad I'm going to do in the whole series and it just so happens that the ad is for

this very dvd. Why? It's ALL about grippers and there's nothing currently comparable out there that I've seen that's even close

to what Jedd covers in his dvd. I'll save the rest for the video!

Thanks again Joel for pointing this out.

BTW, the 2 books that have help understand anatomy more than any others are "Trail Guide to the Body" by Andrew Biel and

"The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies.

BTW, for those that don't know Jchap is one very informed individual. He doesn't let it be known but let's just say he's the only member

I know of with peered review articles to his name in exercise/nutrition. I've learned a TON from Jchap specially when I was going over

the CNS and it's importance in strength training and grip. Thanks for all your help Jchap (Joel). Hope you're not offended me mentioning this but you're very worthy of a shout out.

Take care...

Edited by Mighty Joe

There is nothing really new in training ideas or equipment (if you care to do the research). Mostly, it is when an idea is" restated" or "refined" and IF the person hearing or seeing it is READY to absorb it does it really hit home. Joe, your love and passion for grip and training is so clear and positive it adds so much to all of our enjoyment and success in this worthy form of strength. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help AND inspire us all!

• Like 1

I have to contend that most of these are a given without special thought (IMO). How exactly can one stay relaxed with their body and do a big gripper close? Same with the natural extension of the arm and cocking the wrist. :)

I'm enjoying your posts Joe but I simply don't train Grippers and probably never will so I have little to say really. But the amount of work and study you put into them and the anatomy is impressive. I think many people instinctively find these positions of advantage over time but this may help others learn it sooner and explain perhaps to those who already do them - the why behind them.

It reminds me of the methods I used to increase my Two Hand Pinch with a study of how my body works and my personal strengths and weaknesses. I have a notebook filled with things I have tried in my search for better numbers. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

There is nothing really new in training ideas or equipment (if you care to do the research). Mostly, it is when an idea is" restated" or "refined" and IF the person hearing or seeing it is READY to absorb it does it really hit home. Joe, your love and passion for grip and training is so clear and positive it adds so much to all of our enjoyment and success in this worthy form of strength. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help AND inspire us all!

Richard, I like the way you explained this and I couldn't agree more. I've learned so much of the same things but from

different perspectives that it's like learning it all over again.

Your post means a great deal to me Richard and I certainly appreciate it and I'll keep doing my BEST to help others

to hopefully achieve their goals.

I simply can't imagine what Grip would be like today if you would not have made your presences known many years ago.

I THANK YOU my friend!!! :bow

I have to contend that most of these are a given without special thought (IMO). How exactly can one stay relaxed with their body and do a big gripper close? Same with the natural extension of the arm and cocking the wrist. :)

Thanks for the input Bill!

You very well could be right here. Sometimes others don't realize these positions until they're pointed out

and this is when a conscious effort of these positions can and will make a difference.

I thought sharing what I learned through my experiments would benefit others so this is why I shared

this information. Again though, Jedd had previously done very well in his "CRUSH" dvd explaining basically

the same thing. Thanks Jedd!

I'm enjoying your posts Joe but I simply don't train Grippers and probably never will so I have little to say really. But the amount of work and study you put into them and the anatomy is impressive. I think many people instinctively find these positions of advantage over time but this may help others learn it sooner and explain perhaps to those who already do them - the why behind them.

It reminds me of the methods I used to increase my Two Hand Pinch with a study of how my body works and my personal strengths and weaknesses. I have a notebook filled with things I have tried in my search for better numbers. Keep up the good work!

Chris, thanks for your kind and encouraging comments! :)

I really respect your wisdom and the way you put your slant on things. Seems to always make sense!

It's posts like these that encourage me to continue helping others in whatever way I can with the time I have available.

Thanks again my "dinosaur friend" LOL!

common where is the number 4?@?!:]]]]]]]]]]]

Are you always this impatient?

Come on! Hurry up and shut a COC #4 gripper with a credit card set! LOL!

I'm poking fun here but I hope you get my point about being patient. It too, takes

lots of practice. Start practicing now! You'll get better each day! PROMISE!!!

Video #4 will be tomorrow!

See you then!!!

common where is the number 4?@?!:]]]]]]]]]]]

Are you always this impatient?

Come on! Hurry up and shut a COC #4 gripper with a credit card set! LOL!

I'm poking fun here but I hope you get my point about being patient. It too, takes

lots of practice. Start practicing now! You'll get better each day! PROMISE!!!

Video #4 will be tomorrow!

See you then!!!

you recognize my problem very fast.. i always rushing and like everything fast =P i should really learn to be patient

This does not in any way impede what Joe is doing. There are TONS of things in science that are obvious from a cursory perusal of our natural world. What Joe is doing is running (to my knowledge) empirical and scientific studying and research to rigorously test these observations. What would have happened if Newton had simply thought "Hm, well it's obvious that objects will fall towards the earth." Newtonian mechanics, a large portion of mathematics, and the fundamental understandings we now have of the universe we live in would have been inhibited immensely.

Joe, keep doing what you are doing because scientifically rigorous, empirical study is what advances the knowledge and limits of human existence.

This does not in any way impede what Joe is doing. There are TONS of things in science that are obvious from a cursory perusal of our natural world. What Joe is doing is running (to my knowledge) empirical and scientific studying and research to rigorously test these observations. What would have happened if Newton had simply thought "Hm, well it's obvious that objects will fall towards the earth." Newtonian mechanics, a large portion of mathematics, and the fundamental understandings we now have of the universe we live in would have been inhibited immensely.

Joe, keep doing what you are doing because scientifically rigorous, empirical study is what advances the knowledge and limits of human existence.

...man i dont even understand what you just said.. but it sure sounded smart.

I just checked the "like this" button but in reality I love this

Okay my friends!

I won't be promising a video again during the week.

My apologies but life just seems to always get in the way.

Just got home from work. Had to work late and I now have a sick wife.

If it wasn't for my job and my wife this series wouldn't be possible!

Priorities my friends!

Looks like it will be the weekend again!

Good news is I might be able to launch video #5 as well where I introduce the "Grip Wall of Fame"!!!

Have a Fantastic Friday and see you Gripsters this weekend!!!

I LOVE GRIP!!!