Joe Kinney

grippers777

There is a very Timmy-like feel to this thread.

Except for Timmy actually trains grippers instead of just being an irritating schmuck.

If I'm not entirely mistaken he's quite young, and not the best on english, and that in combination with the infamous gripper bug... Well... here we are! :)

I've used negatives which helped me out big time. But I could only do 3-5 sets of quality negatives. Any more than that, and it got sloppy with bad quality. And when doing pulling exercises every time I train together with the negatives, makes it very hard to recover properly.

Earlier this year I got carried away with doing negatives (15+ sets with SW and TTK). It took only a couple of training sessions until my hands were so messed up that I couldn't train grip properly for almost two months. And I think I were at my weakest ever grip wise...

Don't blame the newbie, it's human fate: you start from scratch at birth, then you learn a few things (and forget even more), then you die soon after.

Our dear Grippers777 here is currently starting from scratch.

Like every true newbie, he assumes that he will be able to replicate - or surpass - any world record around, or become CEO of Microsoft, World Strongest Man, President of the USA etc. if he sets his mind to it (newbie usually believes in the infinite powers of the mind).

As a consequence Newbie only respects the record holders (secretely feeling pity for the poor guys which will SOON loose their titles), and despise any sound advice coming from anyone else.

And like all of us before, Newbie will have to learn the hard way that he is wrong.

Welcome aboard grippers777 :)

• Like 2

Joe Kinney closes the #4 from a very wide set, wider than CCS. Watch the DVD. None of the modern YouTube #4 "closes" are anywhere near as impressive. The only thing that begins to approach it is Tim Struse doing 4 reps with the #4 from what I would call a medium set. Everything else I've seen is parallel or deeper.

• Like 1

Dont feed the trolls

Exactly. Just an FYI...ANY smelling of a troll and they get quick attention...to the door.

I must resist and PASS on this thread! :shutup:

Edited by Mighty Joe

I must resist and PASS on this thread! :shutup:

Joe, this is a classic case of the Dunning-Kruger effect. You should look it up, I have a feeling you especially will appreciate it.

Also, "One of the painful things about our time is that those who claim to feel 'certainty' are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision."

Edited by thewalrus
  • Like 1

This is such a quality thread. I'd like to thank grippers777 for bringing so many contributions to the gripboard. ;)

• Like 1

I have talked to the guy through PM and youtube. He is actually a really nice kid. Hes young and there is a language barrier so we should ease up on him a little. He seems just eager and excited about grip training.

• Like 2

I have talked to the guy through PM and youtube. He is actually a really nice kid. Hes young and there is a language barrier so we should ease up on him a little. He seems just eager and excited about grip training.

Okay, thanks. I was serious about Timmy, or Micheal Davies, or whoever. Language in particular would make it very difficult, and that would explain a lot.

Just because he PM'd you doesn't mean he is not a troll or a fraud. Just an FYI.

• Like 2

Here we go again ...

No "WE" aren't going anywhere on this one :). It seems like the new trend on forums is to cause hate and discontent just for the drama of it. The IM Forum is full of this right now and ZERO training knowledge happens during these kind of threads - If this guy is 15 years old then fine - but I somehow don't think that's the case - I'm sure many are amused and think it's all funny - I'm not amused I guess. But if you like all this stuff - you should be real happy right now - IM and now here - goofballs - one and all!!!

• Like 1

The absolute worst thing for any grip is to take up keyboard ninja classes at the same time. Take a page from kinneys's dvd, avoid these types of threads. Instead post questions or tips. :)

Here we go again ...

No "WE" aren't going anywhere on this one :). It seems like the new trend on forums is to cause hate and discontent just for the drama of it. The IM Forum is full of this right now and ZERO training knowledge happens during these kind of threads - If this guy is 15 years old then fine - but I somehow don't think that's the case - I'm sure many are amused and think it's all funny - I'm not amused I guess. But if you like all this stuff - you should be real happy right now - IM and now here - goofballs - one and all!!!

So what do you suggest Chris ?

I think this board is safe as long as REAL discussions about training/contests etc. are protected from trolls. And so far i'd say it is the case.

This thread will probably get locked/deleted anyway...

If I'm not entirely mistaken he's quite young, and not the best on english, and that in combination with the infamous gripper bug... Well... here we are! :)

He's no troll or anything like that. I've just confirmed who he is.

Back in March I was determined to take my Grip Strength to the next level a progress from the #2 to CCS a #3. So I like alot of newbie's I ordered the Get a Grip video and figured that is how I must train to close big grippers.

So what did I do... I did severe negatives with my #2.5 when I couldn't yet close the #2 and a few days later I would do severe negatives on my homemade Secret Weapon. I however did not have the means yet to do the squats.

What I learned. First I think is is nearly impossible to do the volume of severe negatives that Kinney claims he did. (I havent watched the video in over a month) but I believe he would do upwards of 60 negatives with a gripper above his goal gripper in theory. - I would like to see someone pull this off. I could only make it about halfway and could not recover nearly as quickly as he claimed. Sunday and Wendesday night workouts were is norm but it would take me nearly a week to recover. However in fairness Kinney had a much stronger base than I did. I know I pushed myself very hard to the point of really hurting my hand tendons beyond what workout soreness should feel like.

Second - The SW is key to keep your range of motion sort because you are working on the last 1/2 inch of the finish. However for me this was very painful to have so much force of my hand directly on steel. Again in fairness maybe either my hands were not strong enough yet or a little rubber on the steel would have helped cushion the hand a bit.

Third - I don't understand the no chalk when your hands slide on the gripper it tears your skin. Yes it will toughed up alot in time but I personally don't see how using chalk hinders your strength training. If I recall correctly Kinney used a set of heavy work gloves to basically do the same thing.

I do believe he closed the #4 but I would like to know how that #4 rates. (I think I read or heard somewhere it was lost?)

(Also where is the evidence he is hurt?)

Finally, I would like to thank the older guys for putting up with the newbies on the board for asking seemingly redundant questions and even though the gains at least for me are very slow coming I would never have closed the #2 and would not be making progress to the #2.5 if if were not for the countless advice and post from the board veterans.

Maybe there should be a opening thead that says " If you came here for Kinney read it all here"

Thanks

EMAN

• Like 2

Back in March I was determined to take my Grip Strength to the next level a progress from the #2 to CCS a #3. So I like alot of newbie's I ordered the Get a Grip video and figured that is how I must train to close big grippers.

So what did I do... I did severe negatives with my #2.5 when I couldn't yet close the #2 and a few days later I would do severe negatives on my homemade Secret Weapon. I however did not have the means yet to do the squats.

What I learned. First I think is is nearly impossible to do the volume of severe negatives that Kinney claims he did. (I havent watched the video in over a month) but I believe he would do upwards of 60 negatives with a gripper above his goal gripper in theory. - I would like to see someone pull this off. I could only make it about halfway and could not recover nearly as quickly as he claimed. Sunday and Wendesday night workouts were is norm but it would take me nearly a week to recover. However in fairness Kinney had a much stronger base than I did. I know I pushed myself very hard to the point of really hurting my hand tendons beyond what workout soreness should feel like.

Second - The SW is key to keep your range of motion sort because you are working on the last 1/2 inch of the finish. However for me this was very painful to have so much force of my hand directly on steel. Again in fairness maybe either my hands were not strong enough yet or a little rubber on the steel would have helped cushion the hand a bit.

Third - I don't understand the no chalk when your hands slide on the gripper it tears your skin. Yes it will toughed up alot in time but I personally don't see how using chalk hinders your strength training. If I recall correctly Kinney used a set of heavy work gloves to basically do the same thing.

I do believe he closed the #4 but I would like to know how that #4 rates. (I think I read or heard somewhere it was lost?)

(Also where is the evidence he is hurt?)

Finally, I would like to thank the older guys for putting up with the newbies on the board for asking seemingly redundant questions and even though the gains at least for me are very slow coming I would never have closed the #2 and would not be making progress to the #2.5 if if were not for the countless advice and post from the board veterans.

Maybe there should be a opening thead that says " If you came here for Kinney read it all here"

Thanks

EMAN

Good stuff here eman, a lot of good stuff. :)

• Like 1

I don't know the answers to these questions:

• Out of 100 people wanting to train grippers, how many made their first goal gripper the #4?
  • Out of the people who made their first goal gripper the #4, how many made incredibly rapid progress?
  • Out of 100 people wanting to train grippers, how many made their first goal gripper the #3 or lower?
  • Out of the past fraudulent gripper guys, how many made their first goal gripper the #4?
  • If this environment was littered with frauds, who'd want to be here?
  • Out of the past frauds, how many were die hard, over the top Kinney fans?

I don't know the answers but may have an idea, possibly wrong. It looks like this fella is an authentic athlete, not a movie star, so let's just recommend he try to close the #2 and when he does, move on from there. And let's recommend his videos not contain distraction techniques immediately before and after the gripper close. There are quite a few counterfeit gripper close videos out there...I know because I get them and keep them, collect them so to speak. Therefore, videos shot in a non-controlled environment carry little value unless the person featured in the video has proven himself or herself.

It's good to see Paul Knight participating here. New guy, if you're interested in the training of the proven elite, the ones in which there is absolutely no doubt, there are several here...current guys.

Only a non-gripper guy would have a problem with anything deemed confrontational here, so please keep that in mind.

Welcome new guy, although you don't appear to be new to gripper since you have a Kinney video. I hope you're successful and that you are able to rationally define your goals.

• Like 2

Sorry if I came off too strong but I'm tired of threads like this - they always end up driving me crazy. And yes I know it's a short trip. You're going to close the COC#4 - Good Luck to you.

Super points there Earl.

It made me think. My first goal was the #2 because I could not close it fully right off the bat. Thus it became my goal. In the beginning I remember trying out my very hard 2.5 and my normal 3 and thinking “you got to be kidding me, these things are stupid hard”. Once I got the 2 then the next gripper I could not close became my goal (I forget what it was… BBSM?) It took a long tome to get to the 2.5 because mine was in low 3 territory

I like making small goals myself. Of course some day I would like to be climbing high up the MM ladder. My next goal is the MM1 preferably this year.

Any ho. Gripper777 I am fairly sure that Kinney’s program if followed will screw you up. When I started new the first thing I did was try to close the #2 every day and screwed my hands up in a few weeks. Had to take two months off. I came back with RRBT and did well but it was hard. My hands are much tougher after a year and I can handle hard regimens but Kinney’s would kill me.

• Like 2

Yeah Rich, the first time I picked up a #2 it went down to about an inch and came to an abrupt halt. And thanks for mentioning the MM1, still need to get that one as well.

Chris, your enthusiasm for this sport has definitely contributed to its growth...thanks for that. And by the way, I am crazy, just look at my face.

Powerlifters that have in the past utilized Kenneys methods of high volume supramaximal negatives.... almost always have pec tears and a blown out back.

Edited by hellswindstaff

I do not know why you get mad at this guy? he is just a kid.. i hope he closes the 4! :)

I'll go ahead and throw in my 2 cents on the subject.

My personal connection to Kinney was when I contacted him and bought the SW. I had all sorts of questions, wrote him a long letter, mailed it out and then forgot about it. I figured he would read it, and then offer a simple 'thank you' for my order and that would be it. What happened next surprised me.

He wrote ME a long letter in his very own handwriting AND he answered every question I asked him! Wow, I couldn't believe it. Here I was, a super nobody asking him about what is argueably one of the greatest feats of grip strength in history, and he took the time to answer all my questions. I was very impressed to say the least.

Later, I called him abnd we talked on the phone - again, an amazing conversation I had with him. I'd like to one day meet him in person like Heath did, but if it never happens, I'll be happy with what he did for me and taking the time to talk to be about grip strength and training grip.

• Like 1